• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

On Eureka Seven AO
You know it wasn't terrible until like after episode 14, right?

That's just the duckroll in you speaking. I said it was a mess by when I watched episode three but was SHOUTED DOWN for being too crazy. Y'all just refused to see the truth.

Fairy Tail OVA 05

CjwEoNLl.jpg

Super lewd and hilarious.

Plenty of :DTL and :SDBurton to go around. Also lots of normal pairings as well!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
That's not how this thread works. Otherwise no one would've watched Max Heart or the Rapeman.

It's someone's own fault if they can't see the difference between "boy, this suuuuure is bad!" *wink wink nudge nudge* and "this is a fucking piece of shit and don't waste your time with it".

Jex

Ghost in the Shell: Arise OVA 1

The important points have already been noted by others. It's a less philosophical take on GitS, it has some excellent animation and fight choreography, the narrative is adequate for a cyberpunk procedural that reintroduces the Major and lays the foundation for the formation of Section 9. It also has ridiculous Microsoft Surface product placement.

More than anything, it just made me want to marathon SAC again, but I just don't have the time/motivation. Someday.

At least it isn't as low brow as Mardock Scramble.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
On Eureka Seven AO

That's just the duckroll in you speaking. I said it was a mess by when I watched episode three but was SHOUTED DOWN for being too crazy. Y'all just refused to see the truth.

In all honesty, I still had fun discussing the show while it was airing. That's the one good thing. Even if the show sucks, it's fun discussing it while airing. Makes the pain more... worthwhile.

cajunator

Banned
There is a huge mosquito in this room and its attacking me.

It would've if it wasn't called Kill Me Baby.

You've got a point here certainly.

Vividred Operation - 12 [END]

Don't know how it happened but I forgot to wrap this up last season. Not sure whether its because I'm tired or the length of time since I've last watched this, but I was pretty bored with the finale. Only real standout moment was when
Vividred happened, but even then their finisher was super lame. I mean, you have a collider finisher that shoots this huge ass beam, a gigantic rocket hammer, and a sword the length of an airplane and the best you could come up with is a punch finisher for the lead girl? For shame. Pair that with the cliched ending of Rei returning to their world and you have your safe happy ending.

The show is 'alright', but its definitely no Strike Witches:
image.php
image.php
image.php
out of 5

Currently having lots of fun with this.Why I skipped it before I guess I was just crazy and deluded.

Hey, people weren't going to watch that show anyway because they were regularly told how awful it is!

You know thats not how it works here.

It's someone's own fault if they can't see the difference between "boy, this suuuuure is bad!" *wink wink nudge nudge* and "this is a fucking piece of shit and don't waste your time with it".

Problem is they often dont.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Toradora! 14

So...
is Taiga actually going out with Yuusaku? I guess not? Or she just "thinks" that?

I don't know why, but even though things are all patched up there seems to a...distance between the crew.

Well Ami is definitely acting like less of a bitch
and she's pretty munching falling for Ryuuji
. That could complicate things.

That's not how this thread works. Otherwise no one would've watched Max Heart or the Rapeman.

Wish I could say the same about endless eight. Week after week of hoping this is the one where it ends!

I watched Max Heart before I knew how awful it was. All I had to go on were two GIFs of poor animation, which wasn't enough to dissuade me. Also glad I didn't watch E8 despite watching Haruhi many years ago

You know it wasn't terrible until like after episode 14, right?

I don't see how that stops it from being a trainwreck.

Jex

Speaking of GITS:

Article said:
With the release of Ghost in the Shell: Arise, Production I.G founder Mitsuhisa Ishikawa has been discussing the history and future of the sci-fi series. Along with offering insight into its production history, Ishikawa notes that the studio would like to get creator Masamune Shirow's approval for making more GiTS. Ideally, it would becoming a continuing franchise, with a role along the lines of the one that the regularly revived Gundam serves at Sunrise.

Ishikawa estimates that 90% of Ghost in the Shell fans are international, with only 10% of the series' followers residing in Japan. This could be an opportunity to win over a larger audience.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...-aims-to-make-ghost-in-the-shell-their-gundam

Hmm, now that's basically what I was worried about. Production I.G. see Gits as a big property, as I mentioned in my review, so it's no surprise to learn that they want to exploit it as much as possible. However, I don't think you can just churn out Gits materials like Sunrise produces Gundam because Gits is a far more limited setting and world. I don't really want to see them running the concept into the ground.

cajunator

Banned
There's definitely a good amount of cuteness in Strike Witches, like Sanya and Perinne, and there are plenty upon plenty of butts. I think Theonik counted like 40+ in one of his recent episode impressions.

Fair enough. I just dont know why its not on my radar more. Its so :cajun seemingly.

Jarmel

Banned
On Eureka Seven AO

The show definitely had issues before ep.14, mainly in that it didn't seem to know where it wanted to go and took too long. That said, the first three episodes are top notch. AO had a great introductory arc. And that's it.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The show definitely had issues before ep.14, mainly in that it didn't seem to know where it wanted to go and took too long. That said, the first three episodes are top notch. AO had a great introductory arc. And that's it.

Most definitely but it still wasn't terrible. It was just... average to good.

Jarmel

Banned
Most definitely but it still wasn't terrible. It was just... average to good.

Leaning closer to average but with BONES hand-drawn mecha being the saving grace. I might have been more forgiving in the second half wasn't such a trainwreck and if it had built on the stuff in the first half.

Jex

I miss the days when we didn't fill up a single thread over the course of a season.

/yells at clouds

Well, I don't mind when it was a single thread and a bit of another thread in a single season. It's when it gets to 60,000 posts per season every season that it gets a bit difficult to follow things.

Toradora! 6

Oh lordy the bitch snapped. She went ape-shit on Stalker McCreepface. It's kinda rough to know just how much the guy affected her. Especially since she resorted to binge eating. The real takeaway was how she admired Taiga's give-zero-fucks policy about being herself, and how she's still found people who accept her. But what's dis? Blue be mackin' on Ryuji when Taiga walks in?
Oh snap! Disgonbegood.gif

Mandoric

Banned
Well, I don't mind when it was a single thread and a bit of another thread in a single season. It's when it gets to 60,000 posts per season every season that it gets a bit difficult to follow things.

We need an animegaf community thread for people to talk about cartoon butts, and then a season thread for people to talk about actual shows. That should solve it.

Not saying I wouldn't trollpost in both, but yeah.

Jarmel

Banned
So I'm actually listening to the Shingeki soundtrack. Some of the pieces such as Vogel im Kafig are pretty good(although they do kinda suffer from being seemingly discontinuous even inside one song). The problem is the usage in the show. Episode 12 was in particular pretty horrific about it. The scene at the end didn't require male chanting in the background. I'm starting to wonder whether it's less an issue with the soundtrack and more an issue with the directing in that the directors don't know where to put the music and when it is appropriate. Episode 7 utilized the music in a really effective manner but that is unfortunately the exception rather than the rule in regards to this show.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Fairy Tail OVA 05

Plenty of :DTL and :SDBurton to go around. Also lots of normal pairings as well!

I've been thinking about starting Fairy Tail for quite some time now, are there any prominent female characters? And if so, any of which could be shipped as a yuri pair?

Branduil

So I'm actually listening to the Shingeki soundtrack. Some of the pieces such as Vogel im Kafig are pretty good(although they do kinda suffer from being seemingly discontinuous even inside one song). The problem is the usage in the show. Episode 12 was in particular pretty horrific about it. The scene at the end didn't require male chanting in the background. I'm starting to wonder whether it's less an issue with the soundtrack and more an issue with the directing in that the directors don't know where to put the music and when it is appropriate.

Are you trying to say that the director of Death Note doesn't always know when to use music?

hnnngh attacks are not something I WANT to have but more a byproduct of my anime watching habits/general way of life.

That is unhealthy but you brought it upon yourself for watching so much hnnnnng. Rest assured that there is cute in SW, but it's somewhat outnumbered by things that involve not wearing pants.

cajunator

Banned
We need an animegaf community thread for people to talk about cartoon butts, and then a season thread for people to talk about actual shows. That should solve it.

I dont watch too many shows with excessive fanservice though. Just Vividred happens to be high in butt content.

zeroshiki

I just got mad. It was the only way forward.

More than anything, Eva was what got me into this hobby. I own multiple copies of the series (VHS, DVD), I have all the OSTs, I bought the stupid comics, I choose Cruel Angel's Thesis in karaoke.

After seeing that monstrosity, it felt like something inside me died.

Jex

That sounds like a simple solution although I don't know how it would work in practice.

I've been thinking about starting Fairy Tail for quite some time now, are there any prominent female characters? And if so, any of which could be shipped as a yuri pair?

There's a lot of females as well as fanservice, but obviously since it's a show that was on TV, it tones down a lot of the fanservice.

As for pairing potential... possibly. I can't remember if any of them have yuri relationships, so it would need goggles.

Branduil

I had an idea like this once, although I didn't put it in those words exactly.

zeroshiki

Putting aside the fact that its long running shounen anime and the pitfalls that provide, Fairy Tail should primarily be watched for Juvia and to some extent Erza. No yuri, though.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
At least it isn't as low brow as Mardock Scramble.

Less low brow, but I'd argue not entirely free of such content. I was deciding whether or not take issue with just how much of the movie Motoko spends in her undergarments, as, while her various incarnations have always leaned toward some unnecessary exposure, it's always been a conscious act of expression on her part and, at least in SAC, specifically an expression of strength as she consciously chooses to inhabit a female body to prove wrong those who argue that she limits her physical capabilities in doing so. The scenes in Arise where Motoko is nude or nearly-nude, however, are private, typically in intimate locations like a shower or bedroom, and Motoko's body language is often vulnerable, and as such it feels much more voyeuristic. It's nothing that interfered with my enjoyment of Arise, but I couldn't unsee shades of Rune-Balot. Perhaps that's just projection.

On the whole Ubukata surprised me, but there's always Mardock Scramble: The Third Exhaust to shatter this new and precarious faith. It should be out soon, joy of joys.

zeroshiki

Splitting AnimeGAF up would be dumb and something I hope no one takes seriously. It would be the same people posting in both about the same things except maybe hardasses like Mandoric.

Narag

On the whole Ubukata surprised me, but there's always Mardock Scramble: The Third Exhaust to shatter this new and precarious faith. It should be out soon, joy of joys.

Oh boy. This feels like I'm a victim confronting my assailant. It's not something I want to do but something I need to do so I can move on with my life.

Branduil

Splitting AnimeGAF up would be dumb and something I hope no one takes seriously. It would be the same people posting in both about the same things except maybe hardasses like Mandoric.

I don't know it that's necessarily true.

I think the main problem with the thread right now is that it discourages lengthy analysis because it's just going to buried 20 pages back if not more by the end of the day.

Narag

I don't know it that's necessarily true.

I think the main problem with the thread right now is that it discourages lengthy analysis because it's just going to buried 20 pages back if not more by the end of the day.

I was disappointed that the "Who Quoted Me" feature was apparently nixed on GAF as that helped alleviate it some.

Jex

Less low brow, but I'd argue not entirely free of such content. I was deciding whether or not take issue with just how much of the movie Motoko spends in her undergarments, as, while her various incarnations have always leaned toward some unnecessary exposure, it's always been a conscious act of expression on her part and, at least in SAC, specifically an expression of strength as she consciously chooses to inhabit a female body to prove wrong those who argue that she limits her physical capabilities in doing so. The scenes in Arise where Motoko is nude or nearly-nude, however, are private, typically in intimate locations like a shower or bedroom, and Motoko's body language is often vulnerable, and as such it feels much more voyeuristic. It's nothing that interfered with my enjoyment of Arise, but I couldn't unsee shades of Rune-Balot. Perhaps that's just projection.
It's a worrying trend to be sure, especially if it's part of I.G.'s plan to make the series more broadly appealing.

cajunator

Banned
There's a lot of females as well as fanservice, but obviously since it's a show that was on TV, it tones down a lot of the fanservice.

As for pairing potential... possibly. I can't remember if any of them have yuri relationships, so it would need goggles.

I know nothing about this show except that Juvia seems amazing

Putting aside the fact that its long running shounen anime and the pitfalls that provide, Fairy Tail should primarily be watched for Juvia and to some extent Erza. No yuri, though.

See Zero knows what Im talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom