• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Is this where we complain about what we don't like in the thread in the thin guise of a "separate OT" joke?

Hayate no Gotoku! 03

uI8bBQgl.jpg

THE AMAZING POWER OF THE PS5!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
There's a lot of females as well as fanservice, but obviously since it's a show that was on TV, it tones down a lot of the fanservice.

As for pairing potential... possibly. I can't remember if any of them have yuri relationships, so it would need goggles.

Putting aside the fact that its long running shounen anime and the pitfalls that provide, Fairy Tail should primarily be watched for Juvia and to some extent Erza. No yuri, though.

Thanks you two.

I know nothing about this show except that Juvia seems amazing

See Zero knows what Im talking about.

Fairy Tail is has a formula that's very easy to see, and noticing the formula will only make it worse, but that also factors into what arc is going on right now. It pretty much sucks the suspense out of the series and is just a WE'RE THE SHIT kinda anime. It was nice at first but then it became boring and then it became stupid. The advice I would give to you is never get your hopes up.

zeroshiki

I don't know it that's necessarily true.

I think the main problem with the thread right now is that it discourages lengthy analysis because it's just going to buried 20 pages back if not more by the end of the day.

That is an issue with big forums in general and not something localized to AnimeGAF.

Doing something like the suggested PreCure OT would be a better solution since that thread would actually have a purpose other than reducing the post count in the main thread.

I've been thinking about starting Fairy Tail for quite some time now, are there any prominent female characters? And if so, any of which could be shipped as a yuri pair?

Two (becomes three-ish) main female characters and a bunch of supporting female characters.

Pairing-wise? Oh, I'm sure you'll be able to pair them up somehow.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It's a worrying trend to be sure, especially if it's part of I.G.'s plan to make the series more broadly appealing.

Or it could just be Ubukata.

Either way, I await Motoko's eventual transition from tasteful motorcycle suit to holographic rainbow bikini armor when she takes the helm at Section 9.

CorvoSol

That episode was so weird.

Majestic Prince is shit though, no wonder it died.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. This last episode and really the only redeeming quality of the entire show is that it referenced Betterman. Which, while Betterman wasn't a good show in any way, was nice to see, because its sort of an obscure thing to reference.

Well the whole point of being passive aggressive is that you're not doing anything but ok we can chalk that up to reading into things. In the first episode she wishes Utena, the challenger of the then current owner of the rose bride, good luck. This isn't a formality of the duels and it's something she hasn't done in any of the other duels you've seen since
regardless of who the current owner was.
It's something she did of her own accord because she wanted to, It's not much but it's an indication of independent thoughts if not very many independent actions. I can see believing that there's very little to her character but to me one with no traits at all would be like queen Amidala in the phantom menace.

edit: Oh yeah and pretty much what Regulus did more succinctly.

Eh, I feel like having very little to your character and having none at all is a matter of splitting hairs. 14 episodes in Anthy is more of a plot device than a character.

Shingeki 12-

A whole bunch of nothing happening. Also Sawano's work other than episode 7 has been really shitty in this show.

Well yeah, it's Attack on Titan. Join us as Eren Jaeger sits on his ass for another 10 episodes and people whine and bitch about how scary the Titans are again and again and again.

Also, is it just me, or do a lot of people have the same face? Like, that one commander dude who wanted to shoot the cannons. He's got this skull-like face, and then like, the guy in the crowd who was shouting before Pixis gave his speech had THE EXACT SAME FACE except clean shaven.

On Eureka Seven AO

That's just the duckroll in you speaking. I said it was a mess by when I watched episode three but was SHOUTED DOWN for being too crazy. Y'all just refused to see the truth.

This reminds me: is it about time I watched this show? I loved Eureka Seven, and I spose I have to get around to watching AO sooner rather than later.

I just got mad. It was the only way forward.

You Can(not) Advance.

Incoming Civil War storyline.

#I'mwithMadP.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
This reminds me: is it about time I watched this show? I loved Eureka Seven, and I spose I have to get around to watching AO sooner rather than later.

Even if the steady stream of ever-more-intense meltdowns would prove incredibly entertaining for everyone else, I can't advise it. If I were Caesar and there was an anime that I could sentence to damnatio memoriae, E7AO would be a very strong contender.

CorvoSol

Gankutsuou #7

But seriusly, what's up with the Count and women? Is it the blue skin? Jouji Nakata? Should i expect him to ride a car with Albert in the following episodes? Wat

Why actually, yes, you should expect that. Well, carriage, not car, but whatever.

Even if the steady stream of ever-more-intense meltdowns would prove incredibly entertaining for everyone else, I can't advise it. If I were Caesar and there was an anime that I could sentence to damnatio memoriae, E7AO would be a very strong contender.

Yeah but I want to know what happened to Renton and Eureka and NOT HER FUCKING KIDS.

You are the most cryptic poster in this thread.

Jex

That is an issue with big forums in general and not something localized to AnimeGAF.

Doing something like the suggested PreCure OT would be a better solution since that thread would actually have a purpose other than reducing the post count in the main thread.

I think you're right although I don't know if that is necessarily the main solution, or even what the main solution would be. It's pretty clear that long form writing is discouraged because it gets buried but not everyone would consider that a problem.

The only way you'd stop people posting the same in a separate thread would be to limit the discussion to nothing but critical discussions of individual shows/movies and not allow general discussion, but I think that would be a really bad idea too.

zeroshiki

I think you're right although I don't know if that is necessarily the main solution, or even what the main solution would be. It's pretty clear that long form writing is discouraged because it gets buried but not everyone would consider that a problem.

The only way you'd stop people posting the same in a separate thread would be to limit the discussion to nothing but critical discussions of individual shows/movies and not allow general discussion, but I think that would be a really bad idea too.

It is unfortunate that long thoughtful posts do get buried in the flood of chat type posts but I'm not certain that it is enough of an issue to even be a problem. Some people take the effort to read the long posts and quote parts of it so the discussion does leak out into the later pages sometimes.

I don't think there is a problem per se but it is a fact that some people are bothered by the speed of the thread and whether it calls for a solution or not remains to be seen. I know that one of the solutions Hito came up with the last time this came up was the IRC but even that is not enough I guess.

I've been thinking about starting Fairy Tail for quite some time now, are there any prominent female characters? And if so, any of which could be shipped as a yuri pair?

There are no "official" yuri pairings beyond some very rare teasing, but a decent chunk of the cast is female and I'm sure yuri fans have paired up quite a few of them.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It is unfortunate that long thoughtful posts do get buried in the flood of chat type posts but I'm not certain that it is enough of an issue to even be a problem. Some people take the effort to read the long posts and quote parts of it so the discussion does leak out into the later pages sometimes.

I don't think there is a problem per se but it is a fact that some people are bothered by the speed of the thread and whether it calls for a solution or not remains to be seen. I know that one of the solutions Hito came up with the last time this came up was the IRC but even that is not enough I guess.

Time to finally spread our wings and have an entire forum to ourselves. NeoAnimeGAF

Probably won't help very many other people but an RSS feed for threads on neogaf would make keeping up a snap for me.

Something like a "good AnimeGAF posts" twitter for essay-style impressions/review posts would be kind of cool, but we'd have to task someone relatively detached from the thread to manage it and decide what content to share in order to avoid accusations of favoritism or whining about "why did X get linked when Y didn't"? and so on.

There's also the potential consequence of attracting new posters interested in that kind of discussion, if a remote possibility.

There are no "official" yuri pairings beyond some very rare teasing, but a decent chunk of the cast is female and I'm sure yuri fans have paired up quite a few of them.

I don't know if I've ever even seen Fairy Tail yuri art. Feels like Mashima doesn't even play around with that and his girls are strictly vehicles for the boobz, crop topz, etc.

Honestly, I don't even know who I'd pair up with who. Lucy and Levy?

Well subscriptions certainly help and the "Who Quoted Me" feature was pretty darn handy, while it lived.

Forum subscriptions aren't as streamlined as RSS readers. Instead of scrolling and clicking the next page and inevitably F5ing to even more pages I could be spamming J and R until I'm done.

Toradora! 7

Just when I thought the Blue was going to stop being a bitch and merrily join the rest of the crew. Now she's just spiting Taiga. Not cool. It's kind of funny that she's pretending to be an airhead about her bod, when Kitamura actually is one. Minori is unbelievably amazing. Also, Ryuji just changed to textbook definition of "cop a feel" to "cup a feel."

wonzo

Banned
Chuu2 Depth of Field 7 END

ibyDbZ7h7cBN1J.gif

Yep, this entire CG robot spinoff thing was more consistently entertaining than the entire main series. Now I just need to watch the OVA and I can finally put this disappointment of a series behind me.

ibyDbZ7h7cBN1J.gif

Yep, this entire CG robot spinoff thing was more consistently entertaining than the entire main series. Now I just need to watch the OVA and I can finally put this disappointment of a series behind me.

But what about when Chuu2 2: Utah harder! comes out?!

zeroshiki

The robots are a preview of how awesome Kyokai no Kanata is going to be.

zeroshiki

But the preview for the books they did looked liked a complete mess. :(

So did the Free! preview! Never lose hope!

(Who am I kidding? With Free! and Chuu2 S2, KyoAni is booked for the year 。゚(゚´Д`゚)゚。)

wonzo

Banned
So did the Free! preview! Never lose hope!
Yeah, but a fabulous mess full of UPPER BODY! The Kyokai no Kanata CM was just colours garishly flashing across the screen.

(Who am I kidding? With Free! and Chuu2 S2, KyoAni is booked for the year 。゚(゚´Д`゚)゚。)
Free! is technically more of an Animation Do thing so there's still hope!

Articalys

something posted an interesting, non-comprehensive look at how quite a number of series have done, sales-wise, with sequels and additional seasons. Worth a look to see who some the best and worst follow-up performers have been.

The show on this list that kept growing the most? Nanoha, which saw an astounding 160% increase in average sales from the original series to A's, and then another 100%-fold increase to Strikers.

Jarmel

Banned
something posted an interesting, non-comprehensive look at how quite a number of series have done, sales-wise, with sequels and additional seasons. Worth a look to see who some the best and worst follow-up performers have been.

The show on this list that kept growing the most? Nanoha, which saw an astounding 160% increase in average sales from the original series to A's, and then another 100%-fold increase to Strikers.

The fact that DtB had positive growth, pisses me off beyond words.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing.

WHY? WHY WOULD YOU EVER? Goddammit, Japan.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

fucking Moyashimon :(

cajunator

Banned

Maybe they were just on a high from Nanoha A's. Id have super high expectations too at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom