• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to finally spread our wings and have an entire forum to ourselves. NeoAnimeGAF

A NeoGAF Anime forum would certainly be a justifiable thing. Anime discussion occurs pretty much everywhere on GAF, in indivitual OT threads, in this thread and other Community threads, and it spills over into Gaming all the time when people make a random thread about something like the Attack on Titan Unity3D web game. It would be a lot easier to follow, in much the same way AnimeSuki's millions of forums and threads for everything keep things (relatively) organized.

I haven't seen Eva 3.33 yet, but there's no way it can be as terrible, rage inducing or franchise killing as Nanoha StrikerS was. That shit was a blight against humanity.

Probably nowhere near as bad, although it did really disappoint people.

I guess EVA 3.33 was the StrikerS of the movies

Shergal

The Kyokai no Kanata CM was just colours garishly flashing across the screen.

That's Ishidate for you, he sure loves his colours and pc effects. Remember the horrible fight scene in Haruhi 2006? That was him.

I'd think that for the actual KnK series, they'll put some more thought into the action scenes to make the effects less intrusive and integrate them better. The CM will be more than 1.5 years old by the time the show airs, if not more.

We'll need to bookmark this post for when KuwabaraTheMan finally watches Eva 3.33

I mean, I'm expecting rage based on what I've read in this thread. I just don't see how it could be as bad as StrikerS. Especially given that it would be over in a couple of hours, while watching StrikerS lead to me seeing the slow destruction of everything dear from Nanoha over a period of months.

Jex

something posted an interesting, non-comprehensive look at how quite a number of series have done, sales-wise, with sequels and additional seasons. Worth a look to see who some the best and worst follow-up performers have been.

The show on this list that kept growing the most? Nanoha, which saw an astounding 160% increase in average sales from the original series to A's, and then another 100%-fold increase to Strikers.

Darker than Black 2 really worked out well for BONES.

cajunator

Banned
I mean, I'm expecting rage based on what I've read in this thread. I just don't see how it could be as bad as StrikerS. Especially given that it would be over in a couple of hours, while watching StrikerS lead to me seeing the slow destruction of everything dear from Nanoha over a period of months.

While thats true, could it be because Nanoha A's reached stratospheric levels of amazing before the inevitable letdown of StrikerS?

CorvoSol

Revolutionary Girl Utena 15

Someone literally subtitled over the subtitles in this episode. I don't know. I guess this show wasn't confusing enough already. This is what I have to put up with this episode:

Yo that teacher just grabbed Miki's ass. Like what the hell. Is Nanami going to wear this outfit all the time now?

How can Utena even be making this Choo Choo pun? I can't even hear a difference between Choo and Chu.

Why did Miki make a milkshake at 3 AM? Why does he share a room with his sister? Doesn't that ever get awkward? I really can't tell anymore if Anthy wants to play the piano, or does it because Utena wants Anthy to have friends. Really, I can't be sure if Anthy even LIKES Utena, or if she just acts this way because Utena is her betrothed. I mean she's wished Utena luck, but that was with Saionji, and he's kind of a dick. Plus, with the introduction of Anthy's big bro, who knows if even that wasn't orchestrated.

Oh! New elevator music! And a symbolic fan! Miki just did that fucking stop watch thing while asleep. I don't. I can't. HOW. DEEEEPER. GO DEEEEEEEPER. Fucking inception.

The piano's brand is Yamama. As in Yamama was so flat, tables used her to write on! NYUCKNYUCKNYUCK.

Bwhahaha, the sword popping out of Miki's chest looks so suggestive. Bwahaha.

Really you fucking fansubbers? You fucking subtitled over my subtitles because you heard I like subtitles so you put subtitles in my subtitles so I could subtitle while I subtitle but you DID NOT BOTHER TO TRANSLATE THE LETTER AGAIN? FUCK YOU. I DON'T SPEAK OR READ JAPANESE. IT'S WHY I'M USING SUBS. FUUUUUUUUCK.

I have no idea what's on that letter, but I assume it says something like "Utena Tenjou I challenge you to a duel" in the which case I must ask: Why doesn't this bother Wakaba at all?

Anthy's life is on the line and what is she doing? Drinking milk shakes.

Okay seriously is there any aspect of Utena's physical character that Nomura did not flat out steal for Lightning's character design? Fights with a one handed sword, has a close fitting military jacket over bike shorts, shoulder length pink hair, DOES FUCKING THE SAME BACK FLIP MOVE in fights.

Lightning's design is Utena in a cape with a slight shift of coloration. Kinda lost respect for Lightning's design knowing it was practically lifted wholesale here.

Choo Choo? WHAT THE FUCK DOES THAT MEAN? WHO SAYS THAT BEFORE SEX WITH THEIR BROTHER. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN:? CHOO CHOO?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I don't know if I've ever even seen Fairy Tail yuri art. Feels like Mashima doesn't even play around with that and his girls are strictly vehicles for the boobz, crop topz, etc.

Honestly, I don't even know who I'd pair up with who. Lucy and Levy?

Fairy Tail is pretty asexual for the most part.

sonicmj1

If you think about the story of some things too much, you fall apart instead.

Case in point:

-Sword Art Online
-Parasite Eve: The Third Birthday
-Sonic the Hedgehog 2006
-The Awesome Fan Art Thread Presents: The Curse of the WereDiaper

Metal Gear Solid 4.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 15

How can Utena even be making this Choo Choo pun? I can't even hear a difference between Choo and Chu.

It's the difference between a long 'u' sound and a short one. In Japanese, Chu would be written as ちゅ, while Choo (or Chuu) would be written as ちゅう.

Chuu/ちゅう is also the Japanese onomatopoeia for kissing.

CorvoSol

Metal Gear Solid 4.

It's the difference between a long 'u' sound and a short one. In Japanese, Chu would be written as ちゅ, while Choo (or Chuu) would be written as ちゅう.

Chuu/ちゅう is also the Japanese onomatopoeia for kissing.

Oh yeah, MGS the series in general. If you're taking that seriously, you're doing it wrong.

And that explanation actually makes some sense. Because otherwise it was just madness to me.

If MGS4 didn't tell you enough to stop taking it seriously, Peace Walker
true final boss should've told you to stop. Jpop in my Metal Gear games, doesn't even fit the game itself

Casshern Sins thrown on the list for later.

CorvoSol

true final boss should've told you to stop. Jpop in my Metal Gear games, doesn't even fit the game itself

Casshern Sins thrown on the list for later.

Man whatever that entire fight against
Pacifica Ocean
was almost the best thing in a Metal Gear game ever. Except that it was spoiled for me by a jerkass on GameFAQs.

Ghost in the Shell ARISE - Ghost Pain
As someone who sadly hasn't seen any of the GitS movies or shows outside of a couple episodes of 2nd Gig, I liked it! The introduction to Motoko and the case that she becomes involved in was competently told, if not a bit convoluted at times. There are a few fight scenes that feature some great animation and fluid transitions. I would say most of the backgrounds were visually interesting to a degree, but the OVA kept going back to that one office room which could not be more bland.

ARISE further cemented the fact that I need to watch the movie/shows that this is based on. But I can say I am looking forward to the other OVA episodes now!
Also, that robot was moe as hell.

Hataraku Maou-sama! - 12
After a really boring build up episode to this one's fight, I am glad to see that it's back to blending the drama with good visual gags. Everyone got their own silly moment this episode. It was very fun.

Aku no Hana - 12
I feel like I don't praise this show enough because it's really damn good! Showing each of the three major character's
family settings
really pays off here. Kasuga visiting
Nakamura's house and meeting her estranged father and grandmother
created such a somber mood that strangely felt like a punch to the gut. The reveal was handled excellently by Nagahama and the actors. I'm not quite sure where this show is heading.

Valvrave - 11
Valvrave does it again! Thankfully, the surrounding events were more entertaining this time compared to the episode prior.

Suisei no Gargantia - 12

I'm beginning to understand what people mean when they talk about Urobuchi writing the ending.

Man whatever that entire fight against
Pacifica Ocean
was almost the best thing in a Metal Gear game ever. Except that it was spoiled for me by a jerkass on GameFAQs.

I still think the song itself was literally the worst thing to have put into a Metal Gear game seriously, regardless of whether it's good or not.

sonicmj1

if MGS4 doesn't want me to take it seriously, why does it have a 70 minute cutscene.

wonzo

Banned
Yuyushiki 12 END

yuyushiki12.jpg

This whole thing was a show about nothing, and a damn good one at that. I'll miss the very witty banter and the high production values this show delivered every single week without fail. Who knows, maybe the otaku's will show a rare bout of good taste and buy this series enough to get us a second season… like that's gonna happen. :(

CorvoSol

I still think the song itself was literally the worst thing to have put into a Metal Gear game seriously, regardless of whether it's good or not.

It's a game where a giant robot sings to you. The girl's name is
Pacifica Ocean
just laugh it off.

if MGS4 doesn't want me to take it seriously, why does it have a 70 minute cutscene.

For the poor souls who still DO take it seriously. I remember after MGS2 came out there was this deranged lunatic on GameFAQs who ranted for weeks about how Solid Snake was the villain and how America would be better if the Patriots were real.

I mean, nevermind that you have to naked cartwheel down a corridor to the end of the game.

MGS games are fucking shit. Im kinda interesting in MGR though.

Pshaw. MGS games are great. The WTF moments are half the fun, the other half being the boss fights and no-kill runs. Rising was fun, but short. And two of the boss fights kinda donk.

Gundam Unicorn 6 part 2

Ms. Marida is the best thing in this show. Although I gotta say that Audrey Burne and Full Frontal aren't bad, either. Basically the Neo Zeon cast + Bright Noa carry this show. Cuz the Federation people are just whatevs.

Kinda confused as to who Full Frontal is, though. If he looks, sounds, and acts like Char, isn't he basically Char?

cajunator

Banned
Yuyushiki 12 END

yuyushiki12.jpg

This whole thing was a show about nothing, and a damn good one at that. I'll miss the very witty banter and the high production values this show delivered every single week without fail. Who knows, maybe the otaku's will show a rare bout of good taste and buy this series enough to get us a second season… like that's gonna happen. :(

Its gonna get Nichijou'd but it will be in our hearts forever.

MGS games are fucking shit. Im kinda interesting in MGR though.

Eh MGS games are fine enough. Especially the Ac!d games, and Ghost Babel. TOO BAD THEY WON'T GET RELEASED AGAIN BECAUSE IT AIN'T CANON! Rising was good shit though, although short.

It's a game where a giant robot sings to you. The girl's name is
Pacifica Ocean
just laugh it off.

For the poor souls who still DO take it seriously. I remember after MGS2 came out there was this deranged lunatic on GameFAQs who ranted for weeks about how Solid Snake was the villain and how America would be better if the Patriots were real.

I mean, nevermind that you have to naked cartwheel down a corridor to the end of the game.

Pshaw. MGS games are great. The WTF moments are half the fun, the other half being the boss fights and no-kill runs. Rising was fun, but short. And two of the boss fights kinda donk.

I did. And then I tried playing Peace Walker HD Edition. Game wasn't as fun as it use to :/

But yeah, MGS games are pretty fun for the most part. Pretty much the only worthwhile stealth franchise left though because WE GOTTA PANDER TO PEOPLE WHO DON'T BUY OUR GAMES

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yuyushiki 12 END
Who knows, maybe the otaku's will show a rare bout of good taste and buy this series enough to get us a second season… like that's gonna happen. :(
I wouldn't blame anybody for not wanting to own a show as disposable as Yuyushiki. It was fun to watch while it happened but it is hard to imagine a situation where I would watch it again. I wish the production was more consistent, because it sort of shines early on and loses that quickly.

zeroshiki

They actually cut Nichijou up to 1-cour length when they rebroadcast it.

Even the creators recognized that they had too little material.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 6 part 3, of waiting a year for resolution

Banagher how can you decide how to use the Box when nobody even knows what it is. Also how can Audrey say that
the Char she knew believed in human possibility when 1)Char's entire problem during CCA was that he did NOT believe humanity was going to get the fuck off the Earth before they destroyed it and 2)she hasn't known Char since she was like, TEN YEARS OLD?

I wish I was a New Type so that I could be as annoying as I wanted and still have women flocking to me. HOT DAMN Marida is the best part of this show.
Ensign Riddhe really is the new Glemy.

Ahahaha, speaking of JPop songs during giant robot battles! I'M A UNICORN! AHAHAHAHA.

So that's it for Unicorn for now. What comes next: F91 or Crossbone?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Could be worse. It could be Mitsudomoe'd. ;___;

It got a second series commissioned before sales data came in and then it was cut short. It didn't even get a 2nd OVA.

CorvoSol

What is it that catgirls have against a game about a chain smoker and his quest to see if love can bloom, even on the battle field?

zeroshiki

Bankruptcy doesn't mean it's dead. It just means it has no money to pay off its debts and doesn't see enough money coming in to cover any of it.

I'm not really sure how bankruptcy works in Japan but there is a chance they could still operate while under bankruptcy although the more likely scenario is the company gets sold off in parts. Hopefully Atlus survives intact and doesn't get its IP just sold off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom