• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

That facial structure reminds me of Leiji Matsumoto.
Then you wont be shocked to learn that the creator of the original creator worked under Leiji Matsumoto! He's definitely 'borrowed' e.g. stolen the facial strcuture, long slims bodies and hair from Matusomoto.

K- ON! - 5

Interesting Mio, you're scared of blood and ghosts. Halloween must render you catatonic.
There better be a Halloween episode somewhere in this series.

Oh look at this nice teacher. Well this show needed a Sanae of some sort. Wait what the shi-

Okay, so this Sanae just turned into psychopathic Wii Fit Trainer. Seriously what the hell?

"Why is she narrating?" Ritsu, I could ask you the same question five minutes ago. Also, obligatory-

Team_Quatro_Cerberus.png

WILDO!

Ah, so best girl is getting the singing role?

free-MrBurnsExcellent.gif

Jex

Area 88 OVA 01

Pretty :80s though no-one appears to be raped yet though I do foresee
Pink haired sweetheart being raped by traitor friend or something of that sort
. Action is pretty gorgeous and the protagonist's backstory, while not that original is not bad. It seems competent as a whole, though the constant leaping back and forth can be distracting at times.
Character designs are also pretty pleasant I feel overall. Worth a watch, if not just for the sakuga.

I don't know if I made this clear enough in my review earlier but I actually think that the story and characters are solid enough on their own to be worth a watch but it's the production quality which really raises it up to the point where any fan of high quality animation needs to at least watch the action scenes.

Theonik

Is it definitely going to show animation? It might be stills only...
In times like this you just have to BELIEVE.

I don't know if I made this clear enough in my review earlier but I actually think that the story and characters are solid enough on their own to be worth a watch but it's the production quality which really raises it up to the point where any fan of high quality animation needs to at least watch the action scenes.
Yes, the story is pretty solid. I also didn't make that clear, what I'm trying to convey is that even if that story isn't for you the sakuga should be enough. There doesn't seem to be anything terrible so far with it.

K- ON! - 5

Interesting Mio, you're scared of blood and ghosts. Halloween must render you catatonic.
There better be a Halloween episode somewhere in this series.

Oh look at this nice teacher. Well this show needed a Sanae of some sort. Wait what the shi-

Okay, so this Sanae just turned into psychopathic Wii Fit Trainer. Seriously what the hell?

"Why is she narrating?" Ritsu, I could ask you the same question five minutes ago. Also, obligatory-

Ah, so best girl is getting the singing role?

EXCELLENT!
Well there's no specific "Halloween episode" but they're instances where you'll will get to see Mio completely spooked.

Sawako is a pretty crazy character, you haven't truly seen her crazy side yet.

Yep, Mio gets to sing next episode!

Area 88 OVA 01

Pretty :80s though no-one appears to be raped yet though I do foresee
Pink haired sweetheart being raped by traitor friend or something of that sort
. Action is pretty gorgeous and the protagonist's backstory, while not that original is not bad. It seems competent as a whole, though the constant leaping back and forth can be distracting at times.
Character designs are also pretty pleasant I feel overall. Worth a watch, if not just for the sakuga.

sidenote:

The other anime adaptations of his works (like Cleopatra DC, Desert Rose, Goddamn or Futari Daka - for an old tv anime) do have also some nice animations.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Just wanted to say that you shoudl'nt expect yuri in fairy tail .The thing is like void of it.

Thereis like one guild full of women that isn't bad but it's very very very limited and it doesn't appear until VERY VEYR LATE.

Now fairy tail is a decent shonen and plenty of fun , but it's void of yuri

There's not that much yuri in Fairy Tail. I'm pretty sure there's some yuri jokes thrown in some episodes, but it's still one hell of a fun show. It's an all time favourite of mine.

Booooo. ;3;

Yep, NO LEGACY whatsoever for Shinta Nojiri. Five years and the possibility... is still there?

Let's not forget one of the jobs Ryan Payton had in the development of MGS4. Catering to a expansive and changing audience while trying to salvage what they could of the originally too ambitious concept to be fulfilled on the PS3 platform (altered since its intended first 'prototyped' architecture) was kind of a misstep from the extremely tight and thoughtful little playgrounds design of MGS3. Streamlining the control layout without other requisite changes going for it wasn't the best option, really.

I need to track down the '.GIF' of this CIA director's reaction for this cases!

Some Profound sadness.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Eden of the East 05 - This is No Time to be Thinking About That

So I found out this series is only $22 on Blu-Ray. That's cool. I'd buy it if it holds up (of course, I know people here have warned me that particularly the movies don't).

Recap
Czym1FOl.png

A woman with blue-silver hair wakes up in her underwear. She is a SELACAO. Behind her, a tied up man with a bag over his head, dead. She calls her handler and asks for a cleanup.

Back to Akira. A little detail I liked is that there's an outside shot with a car driving, but you can see the telephone poles on the side of the road and none of them are quite 100% upright. I think that's a fairly common thing, but a neat attention to detail. Of course, we're in a bombed out area so the buildings aren't exactly upright either. Akira freaks out and there's a dumb physical comedy thing where he fumbles his phone. Then a random dude runs up to Akira and freaks out. He's one of the NEET. They're not dead. They were promised "a trip to a consumer's paradise". They were dumped in Dubai and given some sort of boot camp. Well, I guess that's one way to re-educated disaffected youth into contributing to society?

Saki is working at the restaurant or bakery that she went home to. She talks to the older guy (her brother-in-law?). Her rescheduled job interview is coming up. He says that if the job is not a good fit they'll float her a little while longer.

fr5VEzvl.jpg

She runs into Mr. Friendzone (Usuki?) on the train. One of their friends "deferred his graduation". The show explains what NEET stands for and introduces that the kids are working on some sort of business plan called Eden! A-ha! Usuki makes reference to how some 40 year olds still mooch of their parents and brag about it. Very overt cultural politics, and I think Saki is self-conscious about it. He asks her to dinner LOL AS FRIENDS yeah whatever. She says fine, he flips out.

Akira calls his handler and says that he doesn't understand how, even with the money, how can 12 people change the country? It'd take the Prime Minister or someone even more powerful and asks "Could I really be capable of making the Prime Minister say 'uncle'". The handler says "Order received, turn on the television"

The TV is reporting from the Japanese parliament, where an oversight committee determines that the Careless Monday missiles were owned by the Japanese self-defence force--remember, Japan constitutionally can't have a military--the MP speaking accuses the Prime Minister of being aware of this, and being connected to the SELACAO terrorist organization who fired them. The weird thing is that happy elevator muzak is playing in the background of this scene.

TfwhRXFl.jpg

The Prime Minister steps up to the podium and says... "Uncle". Akira is exasperated by this but instead chooses to random shift gears and respond to Saki's text. She doesn't care and goes to her job interview--hey, he took a day to respond to her texts, why does he expect an immediate reply?

zXMcB2al.png

Another Selacao on a military base checks Akira's financial records. Blue-Haired woman is eating a steak and hiring male models. She implies she suffers from blackouts or loss of control.

In Saki's job interview, they ask her "Having been a survivor of that incident, what do you think of the latest attack?" -- since the incident is not named and Saki's area of town did not appear to be hit by Careless Monday, are they referring to a different terrorist attack? She says that while many youth didn't mind Careless Monday, the latest attacks were problematic because people died. She doesn't get the job but takes lunch at the company's cafeteria. A doofus--actually part of the interview process--spills food all over her.

What the hell is going on with the facial shape of these two women?
B0L95UAl.png

Saki overhears those two women gossipping about her while she's in the bathroom. Saki's sister gets a call-back from the company saying she didn't get the job, presumably. Akira is outside the job interview to apologize, meanwhile Usuki is running to meet her for their date.

I liked this shot:
VjyyrD0l.png

Saki explains her situation to Akira and laments corporate culture: why were they mean to her? Why do corporations expect youth to give up their lives to work long hours for little satisfaction -- this is probably the big cultural factor Saki brings to the table, the difficulty of acclimatizing to social expectations, really the same issue as the NEETs even if she is better-adjusted. She mopes about disappointing her brother-in-law who she clearly has a thing for.

Akira smooches her... uguu~~~ I have literally no idea what this word means but I will keep using it anyway uguu~ and invites her over to the mall. "This country is all sorts of mixed-up these days." "Just who are you, really?" "I don't know, but I think I'm about to find out."

bdLAeyAl.jpg

Usuki is pigging out at a 3 star restaurant and his male friend doesn't like being invited on a date in Saki's stead. Wahh wahh if you had a boyfriend wahhh wahh wahhhhh. The Blue-haired SELACAO walks up to Usuki. Cut to credits.

Review
We met two new SELACAO. Saki gave Akira a redoubled sense of purpose. Youth emerged as an even stronger theme--and the cultural lessons of the show, while designed for Japan, clearly apply everywhere. Usuki is a doofus. Still enthusiastic to see more episodes.

Booooo. ;3;

I take it that means you won't be watching it. A shame, really. Before I watched Fairy Tail, I was pretty out of the anime genre. When I saw the first four episodes, I thought to myself; "Oh, so this is gonna be some kind of slice-of-life adventure anime?" I'm cool with this. I had no idea how much awesome was to come.

sogood.jpg

Theonik

Area 88 OVA 02 -in progress
I FUCKING KNEW IT. NTR.
The art also looks somewhat different. Wonder what happened. Still tons of sakuga just an art change is all.

Kurita

I take it that means you won't be watching it. A shame, really. Before I watched Fairy Tail, I was pretty out of the anime genre. When I saw the first four episodes, I thought to myself; "Oh, so this is gonna be some kind of slice-of-life adventure anime?" I'm cool with this. I had no idea how much awesome was to come.

sogood.jpg
Anime is a genre?

Just saw the promo for that Dog & Scissors anime, and it has got to have the weirdest character designs I've ever seen. That's not a bad thing either, actually I like it. At least the story sounds interesting and I can see a lot of comedy to be had with a guy that's inside a dog body. First Daganropa and now Dog & Scissors with the character designs, I'm liking the creativity in these new anime.

/XX/

Is it definitely going to show animation? It might be stills only...
I'll be glad just getting some of those and maybe a Fall season confirmation!

Some Profound sadness.
Yeah... :-(

I really hate the pressure and condescending attitude some fans showed to Mr. Nojiri's work, as if those very thoughtfully planned games were just a mere compromise to simply put out something from the franchise on a portable platform. I still think those were ideal gems for the PSP.

I'll be glad just getting some of those and maybe a Fall season confirmation!

Yeah... :-(

I really hate the pressure and condescending attitude some fans showed to Mr. Nojiri's work, as if those very thoughtfully planned games were just a mere compromise to simply put out something from the franchise on a portable platform. I still think those were ideal gems for the PSP.

That's how I feel myself.

I recall back then with my single company mind set that Ac!d looked stupid and whatnot. Years later, got a PSP, which basically gets me into the Metal Gear franchise. and then I stumbled on the Ac!d games. Such goodness, and I do think they're better than both Portable Ops and Peace Walker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom