• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

It's okay you guys I will draw all the hatred onto myself by revealing my true nature as a Beater and thus bring peace to all AnimeGAF!

...on second thoughts, maybe I won't do that.
:Sunrise
It would have required a minimal amount of effort to post something like C3-Bu PV instead, but sometimes I forget that I hate this thread and that this thread hates me.
No-one hates you. But your self hating schtick is getting increasingly aggravating.

Necrovex

Utena 18

Nanami was actually...nice to a human being who wasn't her brother? What the fuck am I watching?

Utena does a very rare, and that is appreciating and caring for all of the side characters. Some shows achieve where I care for *some* of their side characters (like in Naruto where I care for Shikamaru and Hinata), but most shows fail that front completely.

I think the last time I cared for side characters were in Steins;Gate and Fate/Zero.

I guess...

but MGS3 is like my second fave game of all time.

MGS3 was my first MGS game.

I love it dearly.

what spring shows are 2 cour?

All i can recall is railgun.

Mushibugyo!

Amfa5hS.gif

Nice job hiding those Manami.

And I just saw the ad for Majikoi A2!

Not sure if I want to go after Seiso or the robot girls first.

Taruranto

Gankutsuou #10

Franz doesn't know the old "bat your eyes once for no and twice for yes" trick.

Anyway, 10 episodes in, time for some speculah!

The Dantes guy is the Count. Albert's father and his friends did something awful too him (maybe they framed him or something, since they were in the military, iirc).

Albert's mom and the Count were previously lovers. The blode dude is the child that was discharged and buried 17 years ago.

The Count wants revenge on the three men and that's why he has been fucking around with everyone. I wonder if the kidnapping on Luna was staged? Though the thugs' boss didn't appear to know the Count personally.

How he changed his aspect and got his immense knowledge/patrimony is a big fat ? to me. I wonder if the show will go full sci-fi/magic. Maybe it is related to the "tubes" thing in the ED/One of the flashbacks.

Don't tell me if i'm right, please. :p

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
request...
Can we add a 'OT' in the title? I keep missing this thread on first glance on my subscription list >.<
Then there wouldn't be enough space for a terrible subtitle that lets people know they should stay away.

Ezalc

The Dantes guy is the Count. Albert's father and his friends did something awful too him (maybe they framed him or something, since they were in the military, iirc).

Albert's mom and the Count were previously lovers. The blode dude is the child that was discharged and buried 17 years ago.

The Count wants revenge on the three men and that's why he has been fucking around with everyone. I wonder if the kidnapping on Luna was staged? Though the thugs' boss didn't appear to know the Count personally.

How he changed his aspect and got his immense knowledge/patrimony is a big fat ? to me. I wonder if the show will go full sci-fi/magic. Maybe it is related to the "tubes" thing in the ED/One of the flashbacks.

Don't tell me if i'm right, please. :p

Ha this is interesting. You should read the novel after you finish the anime, by the way. It's so much fun seeing it told from another point of view.

Taruranto

Ha this is interesting. You should read the novel after you finish the anime, by the way. It's so much fun seeing it told from another point of view.

Most likely i will, i usually don't read this genre of books, but I'm enjoying the animu very much.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
UtaPri fin
DQokY6gl.jpg

GKLpVsvl.jpg

I don't know what this show was about anymore, but sure!

0VIWIN6l.jpg

Although in this episode, I learned that Sawashiro basically loses any of her range when she's forced to act. Her "angry' voice was basically her normal voice. RIP.

---

DeSu2 fin
lol

Meganebu looks incredible.

Favorites

Club president and Akito look interesting.

Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou joins the shows that Crunchyroll will be streaming this summer as Dog & Scissors (real creative English name, I know). So if you want more abusive Marina Inoue... well, there you go.

Sadist and dogs.

That's all I needed to know to watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_nVT9leHyQ

Date A Live mk2 teaser. I know some stills were posted but I don't recall seeing the video here. Slightly NSFW.

Just ordered the DAL PS3 game as well. I have zero understanding of Japanese, so the plan is to try every single option until I end up on the Kurumi true route. It's a flawless plan.

I just want to see Kurumi's
baby
ending.

First PV for that Walkure Romanze anime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npUPg0WNDBk

Certainly looks like an adaptation of an eroge, at least.

Dislike the song and the jousting.

I hope these are made into bookmarks or posters.
a029f7f3de8360aaf454f3918e9026371372321552_full.jpg

From the episode screening event Free! article.
"Everybody is dancing in the ending theme! *All naked by the end"

"otherwise known as my waifus"

Twitter person has good taste.

cajunator

Banned
Today's the last episode of Hataraku Maou-sama... what will I have to look forward to on Thursdays now?

I know that feel.
Gotta work next week though so that takes up a lot of time that I generally dont worry about filling cause I sleep through the rest (or try). After that is vacation in southern Maryland so I wont be around as much anyway.
Any of you guys live in DC/Maryland?

http://www.pixiv.net/info.php?id=1703

Winners of the Gargantia contest.

I'm surprised it isn't all girls.

This is relevant to my interests.

just like Atlus amirite
I made myself sad T_T

awww *hugs Atlus will live on I'm sure. Too many valuable properties.

Maou sama ending
Valvrave ending
Devil Survivor ending
Galgantia ending on sunday
Nyaruko ending on sunday
Chihayafuru 2 ending on saturday

Next week will be souless for me :(

Next week is gonna be fun!
Except I might have a bit of difficulty staying in touch with yall depending on how phone reception is out there.

It's sad that a lot of shows are ending, but that just means the summer shows will fill the void!

Crunchyroll put up another trailer for Dog and Scissors, definitely gonna be watching that one.

That looks...weird. Like weirder then the normal anime weird.
By the way, nice Sawa avatar!!

Speaking of Crime Edge, full BD list is out, and it cratered hard:

New series debuts bolded.

So the updated temporal chart is:

However, bear in mind that a couple of these are being boosted by event tickets and the like, so final series averages for stuff like Karneval and DeSu2 will probably be lower. For example, Karneval is over 8k on the v1 temporal list but v2 only sold 3,257.

Sales not so hot. Oh wait, Yuyushiki didnt totally bomb? *squees

I don't remember Ritsu singing...

Was gonna say the same thing :D

Just saw the promo for that Dog & Scissors anime, and it has got to have the weirdest character designs I've ever seen. That's not a bad thing either, actually I like it. At least the story sounds interesting and I can see a lot of comedy to be had with a guy that's inside a dog body. First Daganropa and now Dog & Scissors with the character designs, I'm liking the creativity in these new anime.

It does look strange. Not sure what to make of it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Eden of the East 06 - Eden of the East (imaginative title)

Recap:
ybDPFZul.png

Usuki--apparently romanized as Osugi--is chained up in the room with the Blue Haired SELECAO. She is going to kill him but receives a call that interrupts her.
Akira drops Saki off and they agree to meet up later. Saki calls home and her sister goes mental. The next day Saki meets up with her friends and tells them the story.

There's a bit of an exposition dump here aimed at telling the viewer Saki's history with this group. This kind of dialogue is sometimes called "My Father, The King"--like a prince talking to his friend and saying "My father, the King, wants me to act more royal". It's an easy way to tell the audience a fact, but it makes for fake sounding dialogue because people don't repeat mutually known facts to each other for no reason. So this group is Eden of the East, it's a sort of student business club. The leader, "Hirasawa", is the inventor type versus Saki who is supposed to be the PR person. Hirasawa (sorry, I'm used to calling people by their first name not their last name so this is weird--this is his last name, right?) is skeptical of Akira, while the others are mostly willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
The random dweeb that Osugi took to the restaurant spills the beans to Hirasawa that Osugi's heart was broken and now no one can get ahold of him.

pBue9Kyl.png

The gang meets up with Akira, only he's not home. Circus music plays, bad physical comedy as Hirasawa freaks out. I roll my eyes the immediate second these kinds of reactions happen. Again, I'm sure it's a trope or something, and maybe some of it is lost in the language conversion, but mostly this just seems really exaggerated to me and takes me out of what otherwise seems like a fairly grounded show.

Akira is investing in the Eden of the East as a way of encouraging everyone to be a NEET to collapse Japan's power structure and make the old corporate guys grovel before them wait what???? Eden of the East seems to be some sort of ultimate social network search engine where you add data on everything and then your phone can read all the data.
Back to Blue Hair, she orders her handler to send her a secretary who is fluent in French and Cantonese--and in an especially awkward dialogue, the handler reminds the audience that Blue Hair is a prominent CEO. Then she fires her existing assistants.

Eden of the East apparently hit a setback when some creepy stuff happened and a girl was forced to drop out from school. Whoops! So Eden of the East started out as a recycling club but somehow their social network program helped them "understand how junk has intrinsic value to some people"??? Hirasawa asks the gang to leave and says that he is a proud NEET who studied law and management and wants to one day become a social elite? And he doesn't want Akira's investment help because he views Akira as a "have" while Eden of the East is made for "have nots". Perhaps because I'm not Japanese, but I don't really get the class or social politics at work. Saki begs Hirasawa to accept and Akira argues some nonsense. "Let's make a difference, moving forward working together".
As cheesy lounge jazz plays, Akira offers Saki clothing from one of the mall's stores (who ... didn't take their merchandise when the mall closed down?) uguu~~~~ Making good use of his money, Akira does this:
1R6nx9Fl.jpg

So, back to Osugi,
he is apparently posting photos of himself on a secret online message board -- without identifying himself for some reason??? So the Hirasawa is going to maybe do something about it?

Review:

Most of this episode was an info dump so it doesn't play particularly well as a standalone episode. Akira's plan is not very clear as of yet, but I hope it ends up making more sense. As of right now it sounds very naive. And I'm still not sure I understand exactly how Eden of the East works. Hmm.

Toradara! 8

Taiga resorts to dirty tactics! Judge's ruling? No foul play! That's what you get, Blue! And father-figure Minori is best father-figure.

Mr.Jeff

Technically, Natsuki also confesses to Kenji when they're, like, six, but because of the convenient deafening fireworks he doesn't hear her...

Well yeah but if we got down that line of thinking you open the door to such things like
"We got married when we children!", "He saved me from bullies when I was younger", "He offered me a tissue after I sneezed and I knew it was love" and other useless bullshit.
I appreciate this is probably grumpy old man syndrome complaining about the naivety of adolescence but the important part is she at least
confessed
at a time when many other similar characters would be mooching around doing fuck all. One could argue that the constraint of the movie necessitating such a decision though...

I feel like I'm one of the only ones who liked StrikerS better than the other two seasons...
I was going to call you a monster but I realised there was a lot of promise with StrikerS but a lot of it is wasted in its initial pacing.

It was also sharing the Kubo/Bleach problem of adding more and more characters while at the same time expecting the original cast to maintain their own numbers too. By the end of A's
There was already at least 12 characters and they expect to add 5 to the main cast and a whole plethora of indiviual enemies and still have it make sense?

Ultimately though it did give us the adult Nanoha and Fate designs which led to Ishigaki Takashi
doujins
so some good came out of it.

cajunator

Banned
Whoa CG jousting!

This looks more intriguing than the typical harem show. character designs could use some improvement.

This on the other hand has really fun designs and they are cute as a button.

It would have required a minimal amount of effort to post something like C3-Bu PV instead, but sometimes I forget that I hate this thread and that this thread hates me.

Nonsense. We love you Arti!

I could become AnimeGAF's shrink.
Tell me about your childhood cajun

it sucked.

MGS3 was my first MGS game.

I love it dearly.

Mushibugyo!

Amfa5hS.gif

Nice job hiding those Manami.

And I just saw the ad for Majikoi A2!

Not sure if I want to go after Seiso or the robot girls first.

Oooh those look cute! I like those designs quite a bit.

7Th

I just realized that the Danganronpa anime is by the writer of all 12 episodes of Devil Survivor. RIP, Hosanna.

Tenumi

Banned
What happened to mitsudomoe was a blessing. Show definitely benefited from less repetition of their formula.

Mitsudomoe deserved a full run, and was a great awkward comedy.

Side note, one of my friends says he's going to cosplay as the Marui girls's father. He's got the build and clothes for it, now we just need to find three little girls and some panties for him to carry.

On second thought, that might not be such a good idea after all, typing that out... :p

Articalys

I just realized that the Danganronpa anime is by the writer of all 12 episodes of Devil Survivor. RIP, Hosanna.
I'm still chuckling that someone named Makoto Uezu was the writer for the School Days anime.

He was also in charge of the first and last couple of episodes of Humanity Has Declined along with Kishi, and people seemed to enjoy those, so who knows... I guess it's a gamble with that pair for now.

Gradivus

Mitsudomoe deserved a full run, and was a great awkward comedy.

Side note, one of my friends says he's going to cosplay as the Marui girls's father. He's got the build and clothes for it, now we just need to find three little girls and some panties for him to carry.

On second thought, that might not be such a good idea after all, typing that out... :p

I've seen a bit of mitsudomoe at a friend's house I believe (the one when the father gets harassed by the cops all the time?). What happened to the show?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I know that feel.
Gotta work next week though so that takes up a lot of time that I generally dont worry about filling cause I sleep through the rest (or try). After that is vacation in southern Maryland so I wont be around as much anyway.
Any of you guys live in DC/Maryland

Not there, but have a great time! :D

So is Mushibugyo actually an ecchi action comedy, or what?

Combination of all three mostly.

Though the action does take precedence because of the story and comedy depends on how you find Jinbei's idiocy either funny or irritating.

Ecchi stuff usually happens everytime Oharu appears.

tumblr_mn4gfm0E5f1spbtxxo1_500.gif

Articalys

Also:

Maiden Japan licenses Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise (technically a license rescue, but w/e)
Title: ROYAL SPACE FORCE
Published by: Maiden Japan
Distributed by: Section23 Films
Run Time: 125 min.
Street Date: 10/15/2013
Format: DVD
Language: English & Japanese with English Subtitles
SRP: $29.98

Title: ROYAL SPACE FORCE BLU-RAY
Published by: Maiden Japan
Distributed by: Section23 Films
Run Time: 125 min.