• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Mitsudomoe is that ugly show about fat lolis, right?

EJGaqEA.gif

Mushibubyou - Episode 7

So whoever said that the giant bug appearing every year made no sense, you were absolutely right. Even after
Mugai destroys it how the heck do they move the insect's dead body out of the way
, rebuild all the destroyed buildings, and what did they do before
Mugai joined the insect corp to
solve this problem? Geez it just made no sense at all.

Welp, next episode seems to be an ecchi episode in itself and doesn't seem like it has much action. Though the action in this episode was great and even the last episode amazed me too.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've seen a bit of mitsudomoe at a friend's house I believe (the one when the father gets harassed by the cops all the time?). What happened to the show?
A second series was commissioned but then sales for the first series came in and they weren't favourable so the second series was cut short. ;__;

Didn't even get much merch so one can't even support it.

Conan-san

I think I'm just going to drop the next season entirely (sans Majestic Prince and Railgun) and just watch all of Digimon Tamers (the mo'foing dub at that) instead.

cnet128

Banned
Futari wa Precure Splash Star 29

Oh God I went like two whole days without any Precure. How am I still even alive. My last Precure post was in the Spring OT! T_T

So in this episode, everyone's favourite incompetent water villainess Mizu Shitatare comes up with a plan that is more needlessly convoluted than any of her previous plans. This strikes me as something of an achievement.

Here is how her plan works:

Mizu Shitatare's fabulously flawless plan said:
Step 1) Disguise self as delivery girl. Make sure disguise is so paper-thin that when you appear before the Cures again later in the episode without even removing the disguise, they recognise you immediately.

Step 2) Make a special delivery of some fragrant bars and bottles of soap, addressed to Mai.

Step 3) ??????? (Moop and Foop randomly decided to start using the soap to blow bubbles, but I can't see how this can possibly have been part of the plan. They even got told off for doing it.)

Step 4) Enlarge one of the soap bubbles until it consumes Moop and Foop, then summon soap bubble to own waiting arms. MASCOTS GET.

Step 5) Turn soap into an Uzaina. Don't bother to keep a tight grasp on Moop and Foop during battle, it doesn't matter if they escape thus rendering this entire scheme meaningless.

Step 6) Watch as Uzaina gets blasted with a PRECURE SPIRAL HEART SPLASH.

Step 7) Run away with metaphorical tail between legs.

Man, what a cunning and frankly foolproof plan. I sure wish I had half your intellect, Mizu Shitatare-sama. That simpering little Gohyarn dude could definitely learn a lot from you. I mean, look at how pathetic his mascot-capturing plan was:

Gohyarn's pathetic excuse for a plan said:
Step 1) Blast Cures and mascots with a torrent of dark energy.

Step 2) Grab Flappy and Choppy in the confusion.

Step 3) Immediately drag the mascots through a portal to Dark Fall, thus rendering the Cures helpless and unable to transform ever again.

You see? I think it's clear who has the best scheme here.

Kill Me Baby 2

So all three of them are stupid in their own ways, demonstrating that they're high schoolers at heart.

In regards to character design, I guess I'd relate to Mitsumodoe in where older characters look..... odd, like they're not really their age. Only in this case, I don't really believe any of them are high schoolers.

This was a 4koma series right?

Anyway, Sonya still fails with animals.

Gradivus

A second series was commissioned but then sales for the first series came in and they weren't favourable so the second series was cut short. ;__;

Didn't even get much merch so one can't even support it.

Ah, pity that happened then.

I see people post the blue ray/ DVD sales from time to time here, any idea on the target range that most animes aim for to be "successful"?

Articalys

To round off the day, count in Free! (under the longer title Free! – Iwatobi Swim Club) to the Summer Crunchyroll simulcast agenda. Swimming for everyone!

(By the way, as a few people predicted, this is indeed being published through TV Asahi.)

cajunator

Banned
Ah, pity that happened then.

I see people post the blue ray/ DVD sales from time to time here, any idea on the target range that most animes aim for to be "successful"?

Really depends on a lot of things. Budget, expectations, other means of income....
Typically it seems companies are happy above 3000 units. Duckroll says thats wrong though so who knows.

CorvoSol

Gankutsuu #9

Kinda funny that they can traveler though space but they can't make a simple phone call in case of emergency. :p

I get weird vibes from Valentine and her grandpa, also
Franz is totally in love with Albert, right?

They can't make a phone call because even though this is the 5300s, its still technically the 1800s. Valentine is the waifu of the show and
Franz is definitely in love with Albert.

Gankutsuou #10

Franz doesn't know the old "bat your eyes once for no and twice for yes" trick.

Anyway, 10 episodes in, time for some speculah!

The Dantes guy is the Count. Albert's father and his friends did something awful too him (maybe they framed him or something, since they were in the military, iirc).

Albert's mom and the Count were previously lovers. The blode dude is the child that was discharged and buried 17 years ago.

The Count wants revenge on the three men and that's why he has been fucking around with everyone. I wonder if the kidnapping on Luna was staged? Though the thugs' boss didn't appear to know the Count personally.

How he changed his aspect and got his immense knowledge/patrimony is a big fat ? to me. I wonder if the show will go full sci-fi/magic. Maybe it is related to the "tubes" thing in the ED/One of the flashbacks.

Don't tell me if i'm right, please. :p

Man, I wish this was my first time through the Count of Monte Cristo.

Mushibubyou - Episode 7

So whoever said that the giant bug appearing every year made no sense, you were absolutely right. Even after
Mugai destroys it how the heck do they move the insect's dead body out of the way
, rebuild all the destroyed buildings, and what did they do before
Mugai joined the insect corp to
solve this problem? Geez it just made no sense at all.

Welp, next episode seems to be an ecchi episode in itself and doesn't seem like it has much action. Though the action in this episode was great and even the last episode amazed me too.
I had the SAME reaction as yours.

The fact that this whole thing doesn't seem/feel like danger to the populace is UNBELIVABLE.
Not to mention the 0 death tool....

The only question is : how the heck were they doing before mugai was recruted in the corps ? The thing with insects is over 100 years old !!

You do make a compelling argument.

She is not the only character with some assets.

Theonik

I just realized that the Danganronpa anime is by the writer of all 12 episodes of Devil Survivor. RIP, Hosanna.
Yeah hype levels are pretty much level
Also:

Maiden Japan licenses rescues Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise (technically a license rescue, but w/e)
You can still get the old bandai one fo about $30 and it's probably a better set so I'd recommend people grabbing it from them.
I think I'm just going to drop the next season entirely (sans Majestic Prince and Railgun) and just watch all of Digimon Tamers (the mo'foing dub at that) instead.
A good decision tbh.

Jex

Eden of the East 06 - Eden of the East (imaginative title)

Review:

Most of this episode was an info dump so it doesn't play particularly well as a standalone episode. Akira's plan is not very clear as of yet, but I hope it ends up making more sense. As of right now it sounds very naive. And I'm still not sure I understand exactly how Eden of the East works. Hmm.

I think the rest of Eden of the East might be more palatable if you watched it all in one or two sittings. I do say might because I've never tried to do that myself.

Gradivus

Really depends on a lot of things. Budget, expectations, other means of income....
Typically it seems companies are happy above 3000 units. Duckroll says thats wrong though so who knows.

Fair enough, I was only asking because I remember some people here were happy about the first couple of JoJo blue rays were selling over the 10,000 mark (reassuring that Part 3 would be in the making if the Blueray/DVD did well).

cajunator

Banned
Fair enough, I was only asking because I remember some people here were happy about the first couple of JoJo blue rays were selling over the 10,000 mark (reassuring that Part 3 would be in the making if the Blueray/DVD did well).

10,000 is quite a substantial number for anime volumes. Thats in the upper levels of success.

Devil survivor 13 [end]

DEVIL%20SURVIVOR%202%20THE%20ANIMATION%20-%2013.jpg

i'm crying because it's over ( finally )

Well this serie did the best they could to showcase as much demons as they could and on that aspect it wasn't that bad .

I'm not even sure if i understood correctly the ending but i don't mind much because i'm not that attached to the cast.It was ok , but nothing exceptionnal , nothing ground breaking , either in story nor in animation or music .

The final showdown was not that great , i expected something else when you had the 2 most powerfull characters in a clash of ideas , in fact it was rather poor with lots of talking. The main problem is that wasn't the place to talk ... you had plenty of time to talk before , if you're at this point , then no talk is gonna change things , silly.

A good example of final showdown between 2 powerfull characters ? S.C.R.Y.E.D
This ? Below average

Overall this anime was a 4.5/10

DiGiKerot

10,000 is quite a substantial number for anime volumes. Thats in the upper levels of success.

10k is substantial in a "best selling show of a season" kind of level, but it's not really what you'd class as the upper levels of success in terms of TV anime. Generally, a few things a year will sell over 20k, though.

The 3,000 number, coincidently, is from the old 2ch "Manabi Line" thing - supposedly the number of sales that someone from ufotable stated that Manabi Straight would break even at. There's plenty of debate going on as to whether that was ever actually true, though, and in any case, even if true for Manabi, it's not going to hold up for other shows with differing production costs.

Gradivus

10k is substantial in a "best selling show of a season" kind of level, but it's not really what you'd class as the upper levels of success in terms of TV anime. Generally, a few things a year will sell over 20k, though.

The 3,000 number, coincidently, is from the old 2ch "Manabi Line" thing - supposedly the number of sales that someone from ufotable stated that Manabi Straight would break even at. There's plenty of debate going on as to whether that was ever actually true, though, and in any case, even if true for Manabi, it's not going to hold up for other shows with differing production costs.

Thanks for the info!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Glad to hear CR got Free!. Not one I'll be watching but I know a lot of people in here are looking forward to it, so I'm happy for all y'all. :D

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think the rest of Eden of the East might be more palatable if you watched it all in one or two sittings. I do say might because I've never tried to do that myself.

Well episode 7 was pretty weird hahaha. I think I hit the moment where some other people might have considered the show to jump the shark. Still interested.

cajunator

Banned

Thats pretty much what I was tryin to say but yes I agree.

Necrovex

Berserk Golden Age Arc III-Descent

After so many years, we finally get the Eclipse arc animated. I'm so happy, and Studio 4-C did this arc justice (for the most part, though I was sad at some of the cuts). The CG was not as bad, but it was still awful during some moments.

The biggest compliment that I can make for this film is this: This is fucking Berserk.

Are there supposed to be more than three films, or was 4-C only animating the Golden Arc saga?

CorvoSol

I kinda feel like these guys from this swimming anime people keep talking about:

Green Ranger is Best Guy, tho.

Look sort of weird. Like their muscles have too many lines. At first it sorta made me think of all those weird muscly dudes that Rob Liefeld draws, but these guys have actual feet, so I think maybe they remind me more of the California Raisins.

That Pretzel in the back is straight up mirin'

Taruranto

I kinda feel like these guys from this swimming anime people keep talking about:

Look sort of weird. Like their muscles have too many lines. At first it sorta made me think of all those weird muscly dudes that Rob Liefeld draws, but these guys have actual feet, so I think maybe they remind me more of the California Raisins.

That's the old CM. They got an upgrade (or a downgrade, depending on your tastes...)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Eden of the East 07 - Flight of the Black Swan

The gang looks at the anonymous internet message board photos and see that it's definitely Osugi. We learn the Urban Legend of a Johnny Hunter--a woman who lures young geek men into hotel rooms and chops their junk off. One character asks why he'd post it online instead of contacting any of them and the show doesn't give a satisfactory answer.

There's a bad dub issue here where you can tell that they fit the script to the animation poorly. A character goes from mildly worried to very very uguu~ crying upset and the script doesn't really justify it.

Eden of the East identifies the hotel room Osugi is in by using revolutionary social networking search technology to identify a piano they can see in it. One of the message board postings identifies the woman's accomplice as 'Juiz', which I guess is the handler's name? I thought her name was Cherise? Akira takes off while they're working on this conundrum since he's a SELACAO and now he knows that the woman who kidnapped Osugi is too -- blue hair is Diana, CEO for a talent model agency. He asks Juiz to get the cops to pull Diana over.

cUcNIMnl.jpg

Interesting: In Japan when the cops pull someone over they park their car in FRONT of the suspect, not behind. That's a neat thing.
Diana drives away from the cops. Akira tells Saki he's found Osugi. Magically an 18 wheeler jacknifes in front of Akira--okay, I can believe the SELACAO are pretty well connected, but I think this one might stretch credulity.

In an even less credible scenario, Diana returns to her hotel and the manager tells her "The hotel has changed ownership and now you can't go back to your room"--okay, so we're in science-fiction territory.

As Diana begins to deal with Osugi, Akira bursts in. They have a back-and-forth and she accuses him of being responsible for
careless Monday and calls him the Supporter, which he's not.

So Diana's plan is, I guess, that she chops up the junk of or kills young "degenerate" men. So her way of saving the country is presumably supposed to be her revenge fantasy--
presumably this is an allegory for Japan's very toxic gender politics, institutionalized sexism, sexual harassment, and public groping. As I've read, this is an actual problem in Japan, but in general I find revenge stories to be pretty ridiculous across the board. I wasn't a huge fan of, say, Inglourious Bastards or Django; those two films at least had a cartoonish, ridiculous levity to them. This is less of a good match. Especially since here,
Diana is trying to seduce the men before she kills them. It's not the kind of behaviour you would typically expect from someone who was previously the victim of assault.

m4wVdtTl.png

All this time, Saki is listening on the phone! So she's in the loop about everything now. She shows up, Diana has a little chat with Saki...

(screenshots in the next spoiler, I'm sure everyone who has seen the show will know this scene because it immediately stands out as shocking)
Oh yeah, and you know how earlier on I suggested that maybe we're into the supernatural now? Oh, well, we are.

http://i.imgur.com/CRVfhXjl.png
http://i.imgur.com/O8VcZhIl.png
http://i.imgur.com/b75k5Vfl.jpg
wtf

Punk'd! Oh also the guy in the room isn't Osugi it's a rapist. Oh wait here's Diana's cell phone, she paid for an "illusion rental" so I guess it's not supernatural, it's just more Juiz stuff, what the heck? Juiz is now a semi-supernatural plot device for me whereas before I took her to be the front line to a well-connected secret society with unusual capacity for action.

Review
The parts I've liked the best about the SELACAO story-line have been the ways in which it aims to reveal some of the widespread social problems that exist in Japan. In that regard, I know less about Diana's politics and feel like her actions are not as tightly bound to taking a stab at the actual problems. But she has a good presence, I am interested in seeing more of here.

I remain interested in HOW the SELACAO function, as well as curious about which issues the other SELACAO chose to advance.

Akira and Eden of the East are of lesser interest to me. Akira and Saki's relationship is good, but maybe based on the fact that both of them are likeable, friendly, affable, attractive, charismatic people and their relationship is mostly based on mutual affection and support rather than any deeper ties that bind. I hope Akira's involvement in Eden of the East will give more depth to both their characters and cause their relationship to be tempered by a real connection and shared passion for a social issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom