• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Because he and the rest of the Amazon Trio are fucking awesome. Favorite part of SuperS is them sitting at the bar just shooting the shit.
No, but I mean, I'm seven episodes in SuperS and Tiger's Eye has been the villain in six. Hawk and Fish must be laughing at his back.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-17090.html

tFiFpm3.gif

Didn't get to reply this earlier since I was at work, but...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YES. I wanna make that cover my avy, but Wii Fit Trainer... ;_;

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Le Chevalier D'Eon 4

So we get some more information about Lia and Le Secret du Roi. The the shape of two warring secret organizations is finally taking more concrete shape. I still don't know why no one is calling out Robin for knowing about the Poet shit.

Anyways, our crew makes their way to take their first moves on Vorontsov. I'm really digging the mystery and spy story they're weaving.

It's interesting to watch D'Eon struggle with being
the vessel of his sister's soul
. That thirst for vengeance that wells up inside is very well contrasted against the kindness-filled side that is his normal self.

We also get to see some motivation behind our villain, though his main goal is rather cliche, what his little religious buddy is getting out of this is still unknown.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hataraku Maou-sama! 13 End

iyYYZIf13KyF2.gif

I DON'T WANT IT TO END!

This has been such a great show. Stellar aside from one or two eps. A cast that doesn't have a single bad or dull character and the cutest character ever as well. I'm going to miss this show and I'm going to miss Chiho.

Also Chiho's new outfit is the best thing ever.

Will have to make an avatar out of it for season 2!

Here's hoping if Hataraku Maou-sama gets a S2, it doesn't fall prey to the LN S2 curse (see OreImo. and Haganai Next)

Cwarrior

I wonder if it's possible to catch up with One Piece. I'm on Ep.71 but the amount of episodes depresses me each time.

In the last year alone we had dozens of posters new to one piece in the one piece anime thread, I and the rest of the board watched new comers go from 0 to nearly 600 in a matter of a few months.

There's nothing to be depressed about most of us one piece viewers would envy you for having so much greatness ahead of you.

I warn you now take your time and savior your supply of episodes cause one piece withdrawal is a bitch and you'll be shocked how quick you burn through them.

Narag

No, but I mean, I'm seven episodes in SuperS and Tiger's Eye has been the villain in six. Hawk and Fish must be laughing at his back.

Oh, I think that's mostly because of how their targets are divided up. He's the guy that goes after the younger girls of which there are many in Sailor Moon.
I think the other two do give him shit though. :lol

cajunator

Banned
It's very quirky, but I think you'll like it.

Quirky is good. I look for quirky shows.

SAO's designs were never the real problem, it was the lack of personalities behind them.

Partly true. Asuna's design is very dull. she could stand to be MUCH cuter.
Especially since they got the designs of Lisbest and Silica spot on.

Hataraku Maou-sama! 13 End

iyYYZIf13KyF2.gif

I DON'T WANT IT TO END!

This has been such a great show. Stellar aside from one or two eps. A cast that doesn't have a single bad or dull character and the cutest character ever as well. I'm going to miss this show and I'm going to miss Chiho.

Also Chiho's new outfit is the best thing ever.

Will have to make an avatar out of it for season 2!

I havent seen the episode yet so its not over! :D
I will definitely miss Chiho though. Damn she was cute.

Mushibugyou - Episode 12

So this episode was pretty great and I'm also finally done with catching up to this show. Jimbei's
father is pretty darn cool, and that wood to support his leg is pretty cool too. I guess his father is the prime example of tough love because he hits him more then Nami hits the crew in One Piece.
Next episode seems a little weird again but i guess I'll stick around when the next episode premieres.

Don't worry , it doesn't really disapoint .

Also about the huge insects and the populace , what scares me is that they probably have a perfectly reasonnable explanation down the road to explain this... Now i wonder if i'll be impressed or surprised.

It sure didn't disappoint either. Pretty good episode, but that next episode is kinda out of nowhere and makes no sense. So is this series long running or something because
episode 12 and episode 13 doesn't look like a good ending for it.

Flowers of Evil Episode 12

What was that even? It felt like a waste of 23 minutes and 42 seconds, because like nothing happened and information on characters we care about wasn't even divulged :(

Also the video quality was quite atrocious at even my subhd resolution, tons of banding in random places, blocky splotches of discoloration in the whites and blacks and all over kasuga and co in multiple scenes, what even King Records x Crunchyroll?!?

Metrotab

Banned
Photokano - 12

Ah, the episode I was waiting for. All dem blushes.

I was afraid this was gonna be a
downer ending
for some reason.

Here's hoping if Hataraku Maou-sama gets a S2, it doesn't fall prey to the LN S2 curse (see OreImo. and Haganai Next)
It's not a spoiler so i'll tell you.

The source material stay strong ... so as long as it's the same team, we'll be fine.

It sure didn't disappoint either. Pretty good episode, but that next episode is kinda out of nowhere and makes no sense. So is this series long running or something because
episode 12 and episode 13 doesn't look like a good ending for it.

There is a S2

What was that even? It felt like a waste of 23 minutes and 42 seconds, because like nothing happened and information on characters we care about wasn't even divulged :(

Also the video quality was quite atrocious at even my subhd resolution, tons of banding in random places, blocky splotches of discoloration in the whites and blacks and all over kasuga and co in multiple scenes, what even King Records x Crunchyroll?!?

is that a ship?

So this was a fun dinner conversation. My mother's friend came over with her daughters to visit for a playdate (for my siblings). She then asked me about anime, since her 11 year old started getting into it. I had to explain to her that anime is very diverse, since she was concerned with her daughter watching anything profane or indecent. From her daughter's own omission, she's admitted to watching Squid Girl and Soul Eater, which... isn't bad. I can't tell if she's holding back on what she's watched though. She's only seen dubbed apparently too.

(Oh, and her mom made me look at her entire youtube history. The kid's obsessed with Minecraft).

So this was a fun dinner conversation. My mother's friend came over with her daughters to visit for a playdate (for my siblings). She then asked me about anime, since her 11 year old started getting into it. I had to explain to her that anime is very diverse, since she was concerned with her daughter watching anything profane or indecent. From her daughter's own omission, she's admitted to watching Squid Girl and Soul Eater, which... isn't bad. I can't tell if she's holding back on what she's watched though. She's only seen dubbed apparently too.

(Oh, and her mom made me look at her entire youtube history. The kid's obsessed with Minecraft).

I can only imagine Ika Musume's dub being atrocious by adding so many squid puns.

Tell her to watch K-ON!
I can only imagine Ika Musume's dub being atrocious by adding so many squid puns.

You've got to be squiding me.

Overload at work - 13 [end]

Hataraku%20Maou-sama%21%20-%2013.jpg

Yeah right ...
This was a great way to end a season.

Lot of fakes , nice way to wrap events & a quick but cool way to see everyone situation .

Yep i'm satisfied.

Very nice conclusion ( last minute )

A S2 is badly needed !

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Futari wa Precure] 22
The Hosodapocalypse has reached Precure too. We are not worthy.

Ending the episode by reminding us of
Honoka's broken heart and Kiriya's sacrifice
was weird considering the focus had been wacky canine antics. This show's mood is all over the place. Also, Mepple you piece of shit, you just fucked up everything. This is why mascots should die.

cajunator

Banned

The puns are best part! Ink about it!

[Futari wa Precure] 22

The Hosodapocalypse has reached Precure too. We are not worthy.

Ending the episode by reminding us of
Honoka's broken heart and Kiriya's sacrifice
was weird considering the focus had been wacky canine antics. This show's mood is all over the place. Also, Mepple you piece of shit, you just fucked up everything. This is why mascots should die.

Mepple sucks. Porun is the best simply because he cockblocks those other two.
People just dont appreciate how awesome he is.

Photo Kano - Episode 1

I'm not sure if this show is good for me. The art looks good but the characters and story so far doesn't seem interesting. I don't expect a ton of story from an ecchi anime but I don't know, I'm just not sure if I should keep watching. The leader of the photography club seems interesting, and the other members but after that nothing else clicks for me. Guess I'll watch 2 more episodes to be sure.

Its 26 episodes, continuing straight into summer.

There is a S2

Wow, I guess I'm glad I started watching it. If they ended it with the next episode I would have probably been mad because
they haven't explained anything about Kugai. The only thing explained was that he used to be the leader of the insect hunters, and that he's from some clan and that's it. The guy is admired like no other so of course you gotta give an explanation of his past better then everyone else.
I've been looking for a show to watch with my One Piece and AOT.

Tenumi

Banned
I neither have Netflix nor the desire to buy the DVD. I'm not the biggest dub fan to say the least.

Ah... If it wasn't obvious back when that argument was going on sometime in the last thread, I prefer dubs.

I so sad Netflix removed Full Metal Panic and its other seasons...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

It's all about the build-up, bro. And I think they did a great way to paint Nakamura's character without going overblown on the exposition.

CorvoSol

Free! bros better than Fire Emblem waifus confirmed.

WHOA, I don't know that I'd go that far. Cordelia may not have ankles, but she also isn't a California Raisin.

Gankutsuou #12

(i'll only link the pictures from now since the plot is getting spoilery and i know someone else is watching it too)

http://i.imgur.com/boWICze.jpg

Well, that was surprisingly mature of you Alb-

http://i.imgur.com/evQ5vOu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/nqb5J3q.jpg

Wait, what.

Haha, cannot wait for you to see the end of this show now.

Theonik

Area 88 OVA 02 - END-
ibhfWqE4zbsk9z.png
iJFf3lStsr6IS.png

iblGEoAsqEo6kv.png
in1DCpIu7n4fW.png

[REDACTED]
As I said on my minipost this finally went full 80s with
traitor friend trying to force Shin's girlfriend to have sex with him in exchange for money to save shin, only to stopped. as he was close to doing it, which a very creepy bit of fanservice right before that. I almost turned the anime off at that point and
was relieved when it was the assistant at the door.
digressing from that point which isn't really a fault in the story though it was a pretty predictable twist, I did find the story on both parts, while somewhat standard, it still managed to be quite gripping and had a good depiction of how heart-rending war can really be. Given when it was made it also seemingly inspired heavily the vietnam war and the re-acclimation of veterans of said war. I must say the ending was fitting though I wouldn't describe it as a good ending.
should have ended when he flew off and the Area 88 people left him at the border tbh

A curious point which I think is worth mentioning is
the appearance of Harriers, they seem a lot more capable than the actual plane is, especially since these are meant to be Harrier 1s. Which brings me to my theory. I think since this was made in 1985, the year the Harrier II was introduced, the staff really wanted to animated a harrier which probably inspired said scene. (they are definitely not meant to be Harrier IIs though which would have been even more odd with this set in 1982.
Right after that scene we were also treated to one of the most hilarious sharp changes in tone I've seen recently in anime. I'm not entirely settled on whether it's brilliant or not however. There are more notable scenes of course, one feeling somewhat Nadia-esque but I'll leave that as a secret.

The art was also a bit different in this, at least at the start. Will have to look into why. It still delivered on some superb sakuga though as shown by the screens above. Overall I would really recommend this OVA to people especially if they want something with good production values and even more so if they like planes.

Toriko Episode 107 National Treasure Class One Stroke 100 Million Yen Technique! Toriko vs. Granny Chiyo! (funiHulu)
tumblr_mp2vmp27c81qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mp2vmp27c81qbxqfpo2_500.png

tumblr_mp2vmp27c81qbxqfpo3_500.png

Would someone really eat this? I cant even imagine. Epic episode for this arc, rather impressed with both Chiyu and even Toriko and his honoring the food. I used to think Toriko was pretty standard and just decent but the reveals closer to the second half of the episode, shot it up higher in my rankings of these type of anime. I Just want Gourmet World to finally happen already.
Komatsu and Take chan part is the best aspect and felt like the writer really improved from the start to make the chefs actually feel relevant, and to have one that has gourmet cells and can cook instead of just being wholly offensive, wonderful. Starjun and Toriko even, their match would have to be one of most anticipated events in shonen action series running in the 2010's...I cant even imagine how it would go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom