• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I see! I guess I should put on my Fairy Tail-tinted goggles, because if the show is going down that road, I better be prepared to witness awesome unexplainable moments!

It's not as bad as Fairy Tale. There is an in universe explanation, that you'll get to eventually. That said the explanation is
the more awesome and hotblooded you are the stronger you are
. Or something along those lines. I dunno it's rule of cool the show. Don't question it.

CorvoSol

The problem with Valvrave turning up the crazy is that it has no cache with me. I don't care about any of this so going nutso on everything isn't particularly entertaining since I don't know these characters. You can talk all you want about how Geass went off the rails but at least Geass took the effort to introduce these characters to the viewers before having terrible things happen to them.

Fair enough.

Counterpoint: By the end of R2 I didn't care about anyone, so if the show is going to lose its mind, I appreciate that I haven't emotionally invested in it yet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The problem with Valvrave turning up the crazy is that it has no cache with me. I don't care about any of this so going nutso on everything isn't particularly entertaining since I don't know these characters. You can talk all you want about how Geass went off the rails but at least Geass took the effort to introduce these characters to the viewers before having terrible things happen to them.

It's funny, the reason I hate Geass is because it tried to make me care. The only reason why I can enjoy VVV's brand of stupid is precisely because I am not invested in any of the characters, the plot, or the actual outcome of the series.

They could say the whole series takes place inside the mind of an autistic kid living inside a marble in a Bob Newhart dream in the middle of the church (also, Rosebud is a sled) and I would be okay with it because it's just pure stupid.

It's actually freeing when you have faith in writers that can just take you for a ride because that's all they want you to do. Both Gargantia and Majestic Prince could have operated on this level as well, except they wanted their brand of stupid while also trying to make their characters sympathetic. Instead, VVV becomes the only one that's been enjoyable to watch throughout its entire run.

ibeBFqn132SAbt.png

For emphasis.

Those outfits are amazing!

zeroshiki

It's funny, the reason I hate Geass is because it tried to make me care. The only reason why I can enjoy VVV's brand of stupid is precisely because I am not invested in any of the characters, the plot, or the actual outcome of the series.

They could say the whole series takes place inside the mind of an autistic kid living inside a marble in a Bob Newhart dream in the middle of the church (also, Rosebud is a sled) and I would be okay with it because it's just pure stupid.

SPOILER! BAN BAN BAN!!!!

I take the complete opposite approach. I am one of those people that find no enjoyment whatsoever from Youtube videos of people smacking headfirst into a telephone pole.

I cannot enjoy Valvrave because it gives me no reason to. Watching the proverbial train derail is only fun if you get to see the steps that lead it to happen and not just a loop of trains going off a cliff.

CorvoSol

It's actually freeing when you have faith in writers that can just take you for a ride because that's all they want you to do. Both Gargantia and Majestic Prince could have operated on this level as well, except they wanted their brand of stupid while also trying to make their characters sympathetic. Instead, VVV becomes the only one that's been enjoyable to watch throughout its entire run.

Majestic Prince would first have to make its characters into characters before it bothered to make them sympathetic. Say what you will about Gargantia, but at least Ledo and Chamber have distinct personalities. MJP is like if you strained the color from a white piece of paper. It's on thin ice tonight, and if tonight's episode doesn't work out, I'm gonna cut it from the list. It might not be Attack on Titan levels of bad yet, but man, its just not a good show in any way. Gargantia is enjoyable at the very least.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SPOILER! BAN BAN BAN!!!!

I take the complete opposite approach. I am one of those people that find no enjoyment whatsoever from Youtube videos of people smacking headfirst into a telephone pole.

I cannot enjoy Valvrave because it gives me no reason to. Watching the proverbial train derail is only fun if you get to see the steps that lead it to happen and not just a loop of trains going off a cliff.

For me, VVV's plot is like... Bad Boys 2's action. It just keeps piling on and on until the stupid gets so stupid, that it's just amazing to watch.

It's completely different from the schadenfreude of "it's so bad its good", because by no means do I think VVV is bad. In fact, it's great at what it does.

I have to imagine this is what watching a soap opera is like, where because the show airs daily and has been going on for several decades, every other episode has to have something insane happen.

-Minsc-

Hey AnimeGAF, my brain is a little perplexed. My brother and I were looking through some early 2000's anime charts when he saw the [IMG=http://cdn03.animenewsnetwork.com/images/encyc/A2654-5.jpg]preview image for Planetes[/IMG]. This triggered a vague memory in him of me watching some anime. At the time he only glanced at the screen for maybe a few seconds. He recalls something about space, the people were wearing orange and something about getting resources. This may or may not have been about launching a rocket in to space. Buildings and other structures in the setting had a seemingly older or rusted look. He noted the animation style seemed to be different from your typical anime.

I have not yet watched Planetes (and looking at a clip it's definitely not this show) and I am at a loss as to what it was. There is this memory I have of a movie I watched within the past few years (it's certainly not very old). It was likely something either AnimeGAF recommended or was up on Crunchyroll for a limited time. I do have a memory of some sort of rocket being launched and a girl who had a darker complexion. The rocket being launched may have been some sort of time capsule thing.

That's about all I have, I can't be certain the image I have in my mind is from any one anime. I leave it to you all to give me your best guess. ;)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Majestic Prince would first have to make its characters into characters before it bothered to make them sympathetic. Say what you will about Gargantia, but at least Ledo and Chamber have distinct personalities. MJP is like if you strained the color from a white piece of paper.
MJP tries to have sympathetic characters. First, they're loveable losers. Then they get wistful about graduating from school. Then they are burdened with a big secret about the war. And lately, they have to be idols to help morale!
It goes for wacky with its cartoon villains, who are more camp than the villains from Dokidoki Precure, yet the mishmash of these serious and wacky elements just don't work.

Which is crazy, because MJP shares so many similarities to the (new) Yamato 2199 that one wonders how the MJP production crew could faceplant so hard while the Yamato 2199 production crew has, at least up until episode 22, made the greatest piece of space opera science fiction television that I've seen in recent years.

As for Gargantia, my problem there is that it went from a simple take on the good old Mark Twain story to just twist after stupid twist. If it chose one or the other, it'd work fine, but - speaking only for myself - these last three episodes have made me despise the show because of how hard it craps on the slice of life stuff that I enjoyed so much.

Hey AnimeGAF, my brain is a little perplexed. My brother and I were looking through some early 2000's anime charts when he saw the [IMG=http://cdn03.animenewsnetwork.com/images/encyc/A2654-5.jpg]preview image for Planetes[/url]. This triggered a vague memory in him of me watching some anime. At the time he only glanced at the screen for maybe a few seconds. He recalls something about space, the people were wearing orange and something about getting resources. This may or may not have been about launching a rocket in to space. Buildings and other structures in the setting had a seemingly older or rusted look. He noted the animation style seemed to be different from your typical anime.

I have not yet watched Planetes (and looking at a clip it's definitely not this show) and I am at a loss as to what it was. There is this memory I have of a movie I watched within the past few years (it's certainly not very old). It was likely something either AnimeGAF recommended or was up on Crunchyroll for a limited time. I do have a memory of some sort of rocket being launched and a girl who had a darker complexion. The rocket being launched may have been some sort of time capsule thing.

That's about all I have, I can't be certain the image I have in my mind is from any one anime. I leave it to you all to give me your best guess. ;)

I want to say it's Wings of Honneamise, since that's what comes to mind anyway.

But maybe that's too obvious?

CorvoSol

MJP tries to have sympathetic characters. First, they're loveable losers. Then they get wistful about graduating from school. Then they are burdened with a big secret about the war. And lately, they have to be idols to help morale!
It goes for wacky with its cartoon villains, who are more camp than the villains from Dokidoki Precure, yet the mishmash of these serious and wacky elements just don't work.

Which is crazy, because MJP shares so many similarities to the (new) Yamato 2199 that one wonders how the MJP production crew could faceplant so hard while the Yamato 2199 production crew has, at least up until episode 22, made the greatest piece of space opera science fiction television that I've seen in recent years.

As for Gargantia, my problem there is that it went from a simple take on the good old Mark Twain story to just twist after stupid twist. If it chose one or the other, it'd work fine, but - speaking only for myself - these last three episodes have made me despise the show because of how hard it craps on the slice of life stuff that I enjoyed so much.

I want to say it's Wings of Honneamise, since that's what comes to mind anyway.

But maybe that's too obvious?

But expecting Gargantia to remain slice of life is setting yourself up for failure when the show opens with a war in space and giant robots. It was inevitably going to go that way.

Majestic Prince, on the other hand, has a five headed monster for a protagonist that follows the same fucking flow chart for "laffs" every episode: Head 1 does something, usually Izuru trying to be Amelia or Kayos, then Heads 2-5 all react exactly the same way in rapid succession.

The cast is barely distinct from person to person, let alone characterized to the point where I could feel sympathetic about any of them. Nevermind the fucking terrible action with the ghastly, overdesigned shitty cg mechs nor the nasal slitted Hirai faces. MJP's just a bad, bad show. And not "So Bad I can Hate On it" or "So Bad it's good" like Valvrave. MJP is just "So Bad It's Tepid."

Articalys

Voiced by Minori Chihara (レイツェル, no clue how to romanize that if it's a themed name like everyone else's) and Jouji Nakata (Enigma). At least it seems that Chihara's character is a girl, a welcome change for the main antagonist for this series.

Plot description is still super vague, no details on the season it's airing yet (probably Fall, at this point, since it says production is "well underway") but it says something about how the character Jin Makata is involved again.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But expecting Gargantia to remain slice of life is setting yourself up for failure when the show opens with a war in space and giant robots. It was inevitably going to go that way.

Majestic Prince, on the other hand, has a five headed monster for a protagonist that follows the same fucking flow chart for "laffs" every episode: Head 1 does something, usually Izuru trying to be Amelia or Kayos, then Heads 2-5 all react exactly the same way in rapid succession.

The cast is barely distinct from person to person, let alone characterized to the point where I could feel sympathetic about any of them. Nevermind the fucking terrible action with the ghastly, overdesigned shitty cg mechs nor the nasal slitted Hirai faces. MJP's just a bad, bad show. And not "So Bad I can Hate On it" or "So Bad it's good" like Valvrave. MJP is just "So Bad It's Tepid."

I don't care about giant space battles. But the dumb twists in the last three episodes have been so needless. You could probably get away with one of them, but all three? Why?

And I agree, MJP is so mealy mouthed that it has become nothing. As much of a Yoshida fanboy that I am, going from what people here have said about SSO, my only conclusion is that she should not write any shounen/action shows because she doesn't know what she's doing.

CorvoSol

I don't care about giant space battles. But the dumb twists in the last three episodes have been so needless. You could probably get away with one of them, but all three? Why?

And I agree, MJP is so mealy mouthed that it has become nothing. As much of a Yoshida fanboy that I am, going from what people here have said about SSO, my only conclusion is that she should not write any shounen/action shows because she doesn't know what she's doing.

I'll give you that
The Hideauze being human has some narmtastic implications for the future of the series
and that
Ledo's commander being dead and the robot the true perpetrator of the atrocities seen in the last two episodes
is kinda dumb, predictable, and arguably bad for the show. However,
Ledo's commander arriving seemed like a good thing to me, since it gave us a chance to see how Ledo dealt with a conflict between his sense of duty and his newfound wants.
Even that was cliche, but it was kind of a necessary thing to do with Ledo's character.

Still, it couldn't just be Ledo sitting on the Gargantia forever. And it got him away from Worst Girl Ami.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'll give you that
The Hideauze being human has some narmtastic implications for the future of the series
and that
Ledo's commander being dead and the robot the true perpetrator of the atrocities seen in the last two episodes
is kinda dumb, predictable, and arguably bad for the show. However,
Ledo's commander arriving seemed like a good thing to me, since it gave us a chance to see how Ledo dealt with a conflict between his sense of duty and his newfound wants.
Even that was cliche, but it was kind of a necessary thing to do with Ledo's character.
The problem is that
one twist negates the other twist, and the last twist is made obvious by the fact that Chamber has been programmed to react in a very specific way to that information... so it's all so stupid.

And that's the thing, the stupidity in VVV builds upon each piece, crescendoing into a glorious climax.

The twists in Gargantia, at least barring some massive improvement in the finale, don't build toward anything. They're there for the sake of having them, because TWEEEEEEEESTS are the easy out nowadays.

Still, it couldn't just be Ledo sitting on the Gargantia forever.
But why not?

zeroshiki

I thought you said you didn't care about Yoshida's "commercial" forays as long as she gives you stuff like K-On and Jinsei Best Ten? :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I thought you said you didn't care about Yoshida's "commercial" forays as long as she gives you stuff like K-On and Jinsei Best Ten? :lol
I think it's because MJP was an original work that I bought into Yoshida-hype.

I mean, that high school episode was practically a shittier version of a K-On!! story. But guess what? When you don't give a shit about the characters, that kind of story has absolutely no meaning. Go figure.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Toradora! 16

ALL HAIL LELOUCH TAIGA

Watch
Yuusaku is totally not gonna run. Taiga 2016

:lol they're really going all out

ah so that's it. you basically we're in it for
a girl's approval and now that's she gone you don't want to continue with it?
Yeah okay.

Talk about putting her on the spot.
OUCH SON

Has Taiga
given up on Yuusaku? :eek:

WAIT you just keep a wooden sword around
in your uniform
just cause? wtf

DAT SAKUGA

DEVIL SURVIVOR 2 THE ANIMATION Episode 13 – Sunday of Realization - II (end)

The start was fairly wordy but when it got going it just never let go. I was wholly impressed with the whole fight, demons, visuals, and even the words and character motivations. Honestly, the ending was literally something that I would have penned if I had been writing this anime, it was a like a fantasy come true of sorts.
The friendship speeches and Hibiki's heartfelt words and desires and then Yamato making the realization that he too did think of Hibiki as a friend even if he wouldnt admit worked well in making the scene directly after that even more impactful. It really fit in with the context they had setup in the past for Hibiki Daichi interactions, Alcor and Hotsuin, Alcor and Hibiki, and Hibiki and Hotsuin. All Hotsuin needed was a hug, and it worked.

And one of the minor but really good things there for me
Keita returned and even got an new personality, lol. Liked him even more in the camera scene then how he was before. How did people dislike him?

Definitely holding and keeping the minority opinion, but for me and what I value in anime, I think this was a really well done one. The survival theme throughout the series and then being tied back into with a flashy explosive finale and surprising epilogue made for an enjoyable time
recalling the bonds of friendship that drove Hibiki forward, and then having it be a tangible aspect yielding actual results, is something I like to see
. Most of the enjoyment outside of the serious portions were the dialogue moments with the initial characters and then the major players (Alcor and Yamato). I will say, others could have had a bit more time as we just never got much time to connect to them.

8/10, would buy and will definitely get the game. Take Your Way and BE are really memorable songs and instrumental versions used throughout enhanced the anime and gave it character.

Hataraku Maou-sama 13 END

Well that was a great way to end things. Bringing back antics, dreams about Maou, Urashihara being himself, and Chiho wearing dat outfit, which displays more of her "assets".

This was an enjoyable ride, and is the second ongoing series from Spring that I've finished along with Yuyushiki. It was consistently good, and didn't make me consider the idea of wasting bandwidth to see the last few seconds of its episode so I could rage and drop the show (like Oreimo2). Everyone was rather distinct, and enjoyed their screen time, and I am ready for a season 2. BRING IT

Kwixotik

What are some good, mature animes set in a modern or near-future setting? It doesn't need to be a thriller, but Paranoia Agent or Cowboy Bebop for example.

Taruranto

Gankutsuou #15

What the fuck are they wearing? Were the writers on LSD when they wrote this part?

Well, part of the backstory was revealed. Got framed, betrayed, etc, etc. I guess the powers came from whatever was sealed in the space-prison. Hope they'll show us some flashbacks about him and Mercedes though.

I did enjoy
Haydée pointing fingers, though the series was more fun when it was the Count trolling everyone in background.

Ok, but now, my main problem with the last couple episodes: Albert character and his relationship with the Count:

Even if i accept Albert has the biggest mancrush on the Count ever, i really can't catalogue their relationship. The way he acts around the Count makes no sense to me, especially after he left the woman he loved on Earth after they both pretty much confessed... only for the show to suddenly do a completely 180° "I know this is not what Eugenie wants. She'd never volunteer to get engaged to a guy like Cavalcanti" "I'm not so sure" WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU SMOKING ALBERT

zeroshiki

I think it's because MJP was an original work that I bought into Yoshida-hype.

I mean, that high school episode was practically a shittier version of a K-On!! story. But guess what? When you don't give a shit about the characters, that kind of story has absolutely no meaning. Go figure.

Isn't this what we've been arguing about? :p You just argued against your own Valvrave rationalization!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Isn't this what we've been arguing about? :p You just argued against your own Valvrave rationalization!

VVV doesn't have an episode where I'm supposed to actually feel sorry for these characters though. Yeah, they go through the motions of being human beings, but to me they are just caricatures.

The MJP characters aren't even that much, yet the show insists on treating them as if they were identifiable in any real meaningful way.

yami4ct

[Jojo's Bizarre Adventure] (1993) 6

Jotaro is certainly no Joseph when it comes to thinking up great plans to beat his opponents. Not like
Dio becoming Super Saiyan
was any better!

I think it was obvious Jotaro would use ZA WARUDO too once they mentioned his and Dio's Stands were similar. I enjoyed that glorious spurt of blood, though. I assume this is different from the time that Dio's head was cleaved in half because there's no brain matter left? Splooge.

Would it be daring for me to argue that this was probably one of the best shounen fights in all of anime? Great animation from start to finish, and some of the set ups were genuinely scary.
Jotaro using Star Platinum to stop his own heart
was the sort of material I was expecting when I first heard about Stands, for example. Now I suppose I'm gonna have to read the manga to get more of this.

Fuck yes Polnareff kicking butt. Plus, best ending? Best ending.

[Jojo's Bizarre Adventure] (1993) FIN

So this is pretty much the definitive version of animate Jojo, isn't it? I think Battle Tendency is the better storyline, but none of the issues present with that adaptation are apparent here. High production values from the very beginning while still maintaining the ridiculousness that makes the franchise so fun. The only complaint I could throw to this version of the story is that it starts in the midway point, so it can throw you off if you are watching this without any knowledge on the rest.

Also, and this just occurred to me, what was the point of showing the Stone Mask scene in every episode? They don't make any mention at all of it during the series, and it's probably nonsensical unless you are already familiar with the material. Not that I am against hand-drawn boobies...

Definitely watch this if you cannot wait for David Production to get off their arse. Hell, I doubt they'll get anywhere near close the quality of this series. Just, I don't know, read the manga for the other half or something. 5 out of 5 Mitsuo Isos

I tried to watch the OVA recently, but I just can't bring myself to do it. After reading it, I've come to the conclusion that I hate Stardust Crusaders. That arc goes on way too long, has like 3 good fights, and the worst JoJo. I mean, Polnareff is a great character, but everyone else besides maybe Iggy are just boring to watch/read. The thought of watching the OVA only to have to watch Stardust again when the David Production version comes out soundssuper unappealing. The only reason that I'm excited for more DP JoJo is the prospect of seeing the absolutely amazing Diamond is Not Crash animated. Now that's an amazing part on par with Battle Tendency.
Jotaro
is also way more interesting than he ever is in Stardust.

I tried to watch the OVA recently, but I just can't bring myself to do it. After reading it, I've come to the conclusion that I hate Stardust Crusaders. That arc goes on way too long, has like 3 good fights, and the worst JoJo. I mean, Polnareff is a great character, but everyone else besides maybe Iggy are just boring to watch/read. The thought of watching the OVA only to have to watch Stardust again when the David Production version comes out soundssuper unappealing. The only reason that I'm excited for more DP JoJo is the prospect of seeing the absolutely amazing Diamond is Not Crash animated. Now that's an amazing part on par with Battle Tendency.
Jotaro
is also way more interesting than he ever is in Stardust.

Now I can't wait to start Part 4. Be it in retranslated goodness or Duwang galore!

Do agree though with how there's a lot of fights and whatnot, along with Jotaro being uninteresting. Although he does emote every now and again, so seeing him laugh was like "woah" All I thought he could do was tell people to shut the fuck up for being annoyign, YOU'RE GOING TO PAY! etc.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Phi Brain always kinda seemed like my bag so I might try to squeeze in a few episodes a week before the new season.

Lain

Crime Edge 1-13

Started watching 1-12 yesterday and watched 13 today. It was the hair fetishism anime I needed (well, to be honest, it has a bit of everything in it), with some nice comedic moments and fights, though the pacing and directing left something to be desired for me, especially the end.
I'm not sure if the short sequence during the credits is to tell us about a future second season, but I'd like to interpret it as such.
The sepia color during the bloody fights was awful.

yami4ct

Now I can't wait to start Part 4. Be it in retranslated goodness or Duwang galore!

Do agree though with how there's a lot of fights and whatnot, along with Jotaro being uninteresting. Although he does emote every now and again, so seeing him laugh was like "woah" All I thought he could do was tell people to shut the fuck up for being annoyign, YOU'RE GOING TO PAY! etc.

Diamond fixes a major problem I had with Stardust, it brings back the fun. Stardust has moments of fun, but on the whole it's a much more serious JoJo. I found it to be way too serious. It loses a lot of charm. The absence of a wise-cracking, charismatic protagonist like Joseph was also a major problem, and probably a cause of the tonal shift. You also have the fact of WAY too many fights in part 3. Most of them had zero build and were over in a flash. You could probably cut out half the fights in Stardust and the part would only be better for it.

Now, Diamond gives you Josuke, who's the perfect mix of badass and clown. You also get a really fun group of side characters and some really great, creative villains. The fights are much better paced, there are fewer of them, and they last longer. The fights actually feel threatening. It's just so much more fun overall. God, David Production better do 2 parts in the next season of adaptation or I'm going to be real sad. I'm fearing that, due to Stardust's length, it'll be the only part we see next season.

Teacher story time!

Went outside for recess to play soccer with my 6th graders. Keep in mind that soccer is one of the only sports I genuinely hate playing and truly suck at, but hey, why not right?

I opt to play goal keeper so I don't have to move all that much, and end up with a group of my students linking arms with me to form a dumbass wall. I then go on to make up a song by combining the japanese word for wall (kabe), with kamehameha cause it reminded and I'm an idiot.

I start singing the Kabehameha song, and in a few seconds, my wall of 6th graders are singing it too. By the end of recess, all of my sixth graders who were playing soccer linked arms and sang the kabehameha song with me.

It was weird as fuck but awesome.

That is all.

Hey AnimeGAF, my brain is a little perplexed. My brother and I were looking through some early 2000's anime charts when he saw the preview image for Planetes. This triggered a vague memory in him of me watching some anime. At the time he only glanced at the screen for maybe a few seconds. He recalls something about space, the people were wearing orange and something about getting resources. This may or may not have been about launching a rocket in to space. Buildings and other structures in the setting had a seemingly older or rusted look. He noted the animation style seemed to be different from your typical anime.

Pretty sure you're thinking of Five Numbers! It looks different than most anime because it's entirely in CG. Surprisingly it's on Hulu and no where else it seems.

Diamond fixes a major problem I had with Stardust, it brings back the fun. Stardust has moments of fun, but on the whole it's a much more serious JoJo. I found it to be way too serious. It loses a lot of charm. The absence of a wise-cracking, charismatic protagonist like Joseph was also a major problem, and probably a cause of the tonal shift. You also have the fact of WAY too many fights in part 3. Most of them had zero build and were over in a flash. You could probably cut out half the fights in Stardust and the part would only be better for it.

Now, Diamond gives you Josuke, who's the perfect mix of badass and clown. You also get a really fun group of side characters and some really great, creative villains. The fights are much better paced, there are fewer of them, and they last longer. The fights actually feel threatening. It's just so much more fun overall. God, David Production better do 2 parts in the next season of adaptation or I'm going to be real sad. I'm fearing that, due to Stardust's length, it'll be the only part we see next season.

Yeah, that sounds pretty good. I was watching some of Battle Tendency a couple days ago, and I was enjoying Joseph's antics quite a lot, and here, Jotaro's just.... ehh.

There are fights that I do think take too long, but I think Pet Shop should get some representation at least. Gotta make Iggy look more active now. And I forgot her name but the one with a Magnetic stand for shits and giggles.

I'd like to see Josuke's pompadour in action. And I think whoever had the zippers.

Phi Brain always kinda seemed like my bag so I might try to squeeze in a few episodes a week before the new season.

I didn't enjoy it one bit. Besides looking ugly, the puzzles were pretty glossed over at times and I really just couldn't wrap my head around puzzles being used to kill people.

I mean a children's card game is plausible but I guess my line is god damn puzzles.

Voiced by Minori Chihara (レイツェル, no clue how to romanize that if it's a themed name like everyone else's) and Jouji Nakata (Enigma). At least it seems that Chihara's character is a girl, a welcome change for the main antagonist for this series.

Plot description is still super vague, no details on the season it's airing yet (probably Fall, at this point, since it says production is "well underway") but it says something about how the character Jin Makata is involved again.

Ohhhh i'm hyped .. More Phi brain !!!!

A new antagonist is great ..but i wonder if they will dare create a dream team at some point ( kaito, gyamon,rook,freecell ) This should be an incredible finale !

But let's not ddream too much they will have a hard time surpassing the 2nd season....but let's hope they try.

yami4ct

Yeah, that sounds pretty good. I was watching some of Battle Tendency a couple days ago, and I was enjoying Joseph's antics quite a lot, and here, Jotaro's just.... ehh.

There are fights that I do think take too long, but I think Pet Shop should get some representation at least. Gotta make Iggy look more active now. And I forgot her name but the one with a Magnetic stand for shits and giggles.

I'd like to see Josuke's pompadour in action. And I think whoever had the zippers.

Part 3 certainly has its good fights, I think the problem is that it has too many joke ones. I'm thinking specifically stuff like
the sun and the fight with the killer car
. The arc just really didn't need to go that long.

Also, yeah the two fights you mention are awesome, especially the Pet Shop vs Iggy one. Really tense in a fun way. I'd also add the D'arby fights and Steely Dan fight to the list of ones I love as well.

I think you're really going to love Diamond, though. Josuke is a lot goofier and less capable than, say, Joseph was, but that makes him lovable. He has to rely on his friends a lot more than the others and it creates an interesting dynamic. His hair is, of course awesome and his stand Crazy Diamond is cool as well.

One of the thing I notice about the stands in Diamond is that Araki just gets creative and cool with them. There are such a variety of different abilities. It makes things really crazy. I'd say most of the stands harken back to the D'arby ones in that they're interesting, but they don't operate in the way you expect. Much more interesting than something like Magician's Red that just spits fire.

Dresden

Part 4 Jotaro is a lot more badass than Part 3 Jotaro.

It's where the stands start getting truly funky, so there's that. It's fun, but people expecting the pacing and the sheer machismo of Battle Tendency are going to be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom