• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Because giant robots and a war in space? It was obvious from the very beginning that Ledo wasn't going to stay on the Gargantia forever and ever. It was expedient because you don't drop the audience into a story about a post-apocalyptic Earth and alien threat without a large number of them expecting you're going to explain those things and have a showdown of good guys and bad guys.

If you expected more out of Gargantia than that, you were looking in the wrong genre.

Albert's relationship with the Count is dependent upon the adaptation.

Meanwhile, I would argue that the cast of Gargantia does have a few I can care about. Chiefly Ledo and Chamber, but also Ridget, who was a fairly sympathetic character a few weeks back when she had to deal with the
sudden loss of someone she loved and respected, the sudden acquisition of power and responsibility, and of course Pinion being the world's biggest douchebag.

I'm not saying Gargantia is the best show ever, but its definitely the best one I'm watching this season. Especially after Attack on Titan shot itself in the head.

Gargantia has turned out to be certainly one of the best shows of the season (as I was hoping it would because its so goddamned pretty)
Butch has had a lot of inconsistency in his writing since Madoka but he mostly got it right in Gargantia. For how short it was it was a really enjoyable watch.

Yup. I was considering buying it too. This wasnt that bad.

Everybody's making fun of me :(

*hugs corvy kun

yami4ct

I don't know man, Kuwabara gets like, real character growth and becomes a man. Okuyasu just kinda disappears after the
RHCP fight
where he
fucks up EVERYTHING like three times in a row.
Just infuriating.

He's definitely one of the weaker characters of the part, but I think he gets some good moments. I really like all the stuff around him during the
manga-ka fight
, but most of those moments are just people insulting him. He definitely misses out on a ton of development the other characters get. I don't know, I find him likable despite all that.

Oh man, and I'm almost done with Stardust Crusaders. Almost makes me wish I didn't have work tomorrow so I could spend the night reading it.

Most of the Part 4 volumes have been retranslated now so you only have to put up with DUWANG for like 3-4 volumes at the very end. It's definitely worth reading.

Dresden

He's definitely one of the weaker characters of the part, but I think he gets some good moments. I really like all the stuff around him during the
manga-ka fight
, but most of those moments are just people insulting him. He definitely misses out on a ton of development the other characters get. I don't know, I find him likable despite all that.

Yeah, I can definitely understand that. And this conversation is just reminding me that I still haven't finished SBR.

Ojamajo Doremi - 24

Well I understand all the angry customers,
but why they didn't come before when Majo Rika and the others were selling magic goods, because between magic goods that make wishes come true but have side-effects and magic goods who do nothing I would riot against the two of them...ah, they didn't have customers before
. lol
Oh snap, I was right,
Pop is the fourth Sailor SenshiOjamajo
?! O___O

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, I saw this in the morning. It was expected, with the Sisters arc going up to 16.
Wait, there's like 4 more episodes of this stuff? Am I watching One Piece?!

I don't get the Aria reference, but again, I think you just expected too much of Gargantia. At the very worst you must surely have been prepared for the moment when
Ledo slaughters the Hideauze and the show is like "Hey, what are the consequences of all this?"
Opening aside, I expected what the show gave me for like 6 or 7 episodes before becoming what it became. :(

CorvoSol

Slayers TRY 19

AAAAAAAAAWWW, Widdwe Palu is the cutest thing! So adorable! Pinch his little vulpine cheek! Jillas actually had some character development again this episode, which was unusual, considering how the last four episodes were a big lipped alligator moment the cast has apparently agreed to never discuss again (aside from Gourry, who kept the sword and forgot this promise because he's Gourry.)

Oh and now the rest of the Alien Gods are here and they be chillin' with Xellos while looking for the fifth and final weapon.

Question: Why would a demonlord of Darkness create a Sword of Light which was effective primarily against Monsters?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S2 - 11

tumblr_mot9n7JZis1rnvlipo4_500.gif
tumblr_mot9n7JZis1rnvlipo2_500.gif

And again I ask, why must the pure suffer so? Poor Kuroko, stay strong! ;_;

Happy they decided to bring back the light hearted moments, but holy shit
did things get real when Mikoto found about those other facilities. Girl can't catch a break!

cajunator

Banned
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S2 - 11

And again I ask, why must the pure suffer so? Poor Kuroko, stay strong! ;_;

Happy they decided to bring back the light hearted moments, but holy shit
did things get real when Mikoto found about those other facilities. Girl can't catch a break!

Some of the expressions in Railgun are pretty great. Particularly Kuroko as demonstrated here.

Toradora! 16

Cool I caught up to Felix so now I can read his impressions! This episode was intense; emotions all over the place. The facial expressions really drove that one scene home. It's one excellent arc after another with Toradora. I'd love to keep going but I've got to turn in soon. And with the Final Fantasy XIV beta coming back and my friends coming in from out of town, I won't be able to watch more Toradora or Kino's Journey for a few days ;_;

duckroll

Famed action animator Yoshimichi Kameda has announced on his Twitter that after Gargantia ends this weekend, his next big project will be Shinei's Anime Mirai 2014 short. That should be Parol and the Future Island directed by Kazuaki Imai. So with that, it means every single one of next year's Anime Mirai shorts have something worth looking forward to. OMG!

Articalys

Famed action animator Yoshimichi Kameda has announced on his Twitter that after Gargantia ends this weekend, his next big project will be Shinei's Anime Mirai 2014 short. That should be Parol and the Future Island directed by Kazuaki Imai. So with that, it means every single one of next year's Anime Mirai shorts have something worth looking forward to. OMG!
What were the exciting things about the other shorts? I remember one was by Yoshiura, but not the rest.

Shergal

Would that be Kameda's chara design debut? Can't recall anything right now.

duckroll

What were the exciting things about the other shorts? I remember one was by Yoshiura, but not the rest.

Yoshiura is doing one, and Ayumu Watanabe is doing another. The Shinei one has Kameda now, and the Studio 4C one is directed by Naoyuki Onda who will probably do the character designs too so it'll look weird as hell.

Would that be Kameda's chara design debut? Can't recall anything right now.

Yes, I think so.

Ojamajo
Pop - 25

I really love the relationship between Pop and Doremi, their rivalry, their trust, etc.
The Opening received an update to
show the new wands and ojomajo Pop
After the ending of the Majo Ruka arc
, I'm left wondering if the girls will ever get a rival for themselves?

Hatarku Maou-sama end

The final episode was about dealing with a selling scam. That is so damn fitting at this point.

What a great show, where even ending on something like this is a high note. Having fantastical characters thrust into a world of mundane is an entertaining concept as is due to the dissonance, but this was able to go beyond the expected jokes where the premise has to carry the show, and really became something special.

Even when the "serious" stuff happened, it maintained a relaxing, light-hearted tone. Since I've always been a fan of the "atoner" trope, this was right up my alley, especially since it was thrown into a comedic setting rather than a straight-up action one. Just the idea of a vicious overlord working at mcdonalds and learning to like people because of it makes me happy.

Surprisingly enough, it still gave weight to Maou's previous atrocities through Emi, who actually had a legitimate reason for acting tsundere. That's not one but two common story threads that will often fall flat on their face (Superior comes to mind for the former), yet both were played perfectly well. That's definitely impressive.

I seriously hope there's a second season. Not just because I want to see more "demons at part time jobs" antics, but I'm curious to see how Emi and Maou's relationship grows. I definitely want to see the tension brought on by their shared history resolved, or even get more information on all the evil shit Maou did back on Ente Isla. At this point, I'm almost hoping Emi's father is alive. This show is too happy to have Maou's evil deeds catch up to him in any satisfactory way.

I will be shocked if this does not make my top 10 for the year, and I may even anticipate top 5. Seriously loved it.

iavi

Toradora! 16

Cool I caught up to Felix so now I can read his impressions! This episode was intense; emotions all over the place. The facial expressions really drove that one scene home. It's one excellent arc after another with Toradora. I'd love to keep going but I've got to turn in soon. And with the Final Fantasy XIV beta coming back and my friends coming in from out of town, I won't be able to watch more Toradora or Kino's Journey for a few days ;_;

You're making me want to do a Toradora rewatch. :( fuuuu resist resist resist

cajunator

Banned
Hatarku Maou-sama end

The final episode was about dealing with a selling scam. That is so damn fitting at this point.

What a great show, where even ending on something like this is a high note. Having fantastical characters thrust into a world of mundane is an entertaining concept as is due to the dissonance, but this was able to go beyond the expected jokes where the premise has to carry the show, and really became something special.

Even when the "serious" stuff happened, it maintained a relaxing, light-hearted tone. Since I've always been a fan of the "atoner" trope, this was right up my alley, especially since it was thrown into a comedic setting rather than a straight-up action one. Just the idea of a vicious overlord working at mcdonalds and learning to like people because of it makes me happy.

Surprisingly enough, it still gave weight to Maou's previous atrocities through Emi, who actually had a legitimate reason for acting tsundere. That's not one but two common story threads that will often fall flat on their face (Superior comes to mind for the former), yet both were played perfectly well. That's definitely impressive.

I seriously hope there's a second season. Not just because I want to see more "demons at part time jobs" antics, but I'm curious to see how Emi and Maou's relationship grows. I definitely want to see the tension brought on by their shared history resolved, or even get more information on all the evil shit Maou did back on Ente Isla. At this point, I'm almost hoping Emi's father is alive. This show is too happy to have Maou's evil deeds catch up to him in any satisfactory way.

I will be shocked if this does not make my top 10 for the year, and I may even anticipate top 5. Seriously loved it.

It was a pretty good end to a pretty fun show I have to say.
Even though best girl didnt "win" but best girls rarely ever do.

CorvoSol

So wait, they intend to wrap the entire plot up this week? That doesn't sound conclusive or promising.

Jex

[Valvrave FINALE] - a.k.a. giving the audience more questions than answers

As I had hoped, this was a pretty wild finale featuring twists, weirdness, action and dramatic shouting. In terms of the storytelling there were brief glimpses of a whole host of things, not limited too:

-
Another 'flash forward' to see what life is like in the distant future with Saki. Apparently Haruto forms a galaxy spanning empire. Wut.

-
Akira gets the purple Valvrave, as expected. It's a hacker type robot, obviously.

-
Cain isn't entirely human (as expected), he steals Unit 2 and implants it with the seed he had by his desk. This gives Unit 2 it's own creature, similar to the one in Haruto's Unit 1.

-
Oh, and by the way, Cain is part of the 'Magiss', a secret society that rules from the shadows and appears to include the leaders of both factions as members. They wear big ol hats.

-
Next season, stuff will happen. Lots of it!

And for good measure:

The next season preview title cards say:
"Hidden History" "Friendship of the dead" "101 Council" "Children of the Valvrave" "A Clan that eats life" "Seeds of the Galactic Empire"

yami4ct

Valvrave 12

Wow, just. I don't even have words. So much amazing crazy. You have
Haruto getting shut down, haha
, more A-drei more L-elf and Cain witty back and forth. All the non-insnanity you'd want from Valvrave. Then you add all the crazy for an amazing season finale.

I want to give credit where credit's due, Valvrave isn't all bad writing. I was struck by where the Akira arc went this week. She's had a pretty decently written arc throughout the season. It was fun. Sure, it was easy to see
her being the unit 6 pilot
coming, but at that point it fit the character.The moment was a bit too convenient, though.

God dang, the insanity. I don't even know anymore. You've got
Cain being a part of a secret, mystical governing society
, you've got the
awakening of unit 2
, there's also the implication
hat Haruto's immortality is unrelated to the Valvrave
and finally the fact that
OS-tan has a brother and, at what time at least, where real, living beings. The special VVVs have people in them!
So good. Cannot wait until October now. Going to be really hard.

Dresden

valvrave - 12

Man, loved it. Not feeling the pain over the cliffhanger, though - looking forward to the show resuming in Fall, but I won't be thirsting for it like I did for Code Geass's return.

All the crazy flash-forward future stuff (and the clear no-fucks-given direction from the staff) is what elevates this show into "great" tier. You know. "Great."

yami4ct

valvrave - 12

Man, loved it. Not feeling the pain over the cliffhanger, though - looking forward to the show resuming in Fall, but I won't be thirsting for it like I did for Code Geass's return.

All the crazy flash-forward future stuff (and the clear no-fucks-given direction from the staff) is what elevates this show into "great" tier. You know. "Great."

I'm going to reveal my idiocy here,
I didn't even realize that first part was a flash forward until you guys mentioned it. I even watched it twice and didn't realize it. I thought it was a young L-Elf talking to a lady about the past. The fact that the lady was
Saki
and all the Module 77 talk went over my head. Man I feel super dumb. I blame watching this late at night.

Soma

So I decided to marathon Valvrave from the beginning today but also felt like introducing it to my friend as well.

We're only on episode 3 but it's really quite the spectacle watching another person's reactions to these events in the same room. Can't wait to get to the season finale together.

Jex

I'm going to reveal my idiocy here, I didn't even realize that first part was a flash forward until you guys mentioned it. I even watched it twice and didn't realize it. I thought it was a young L-Elf talking to a lady about the past. The fact that the lady was
Saki
and all the Module 77 talk went over my head. Man I feel super dumb. I blame watching this late at night.

There were even
statues of the Valvrave crow on the buildings!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Toradora! 16

With you watching so quickly I felt like those male students with Ryuuji hot on my ass :p (though I'm watching three series right now)

CorvoSol

Revolutionary Bike Shorts 17

Please don't be another Nanami-centric episode. I don't know that I can maintain my sanity through those.
Chu-Chu with the fencing needle is so cute. I don't know how purple girl here expected Jury to react after she, you know, RIPPED HER FUCKING HEART OUT, SPAT ON IT, AND LIT IT ON FIRE. No sympathy for you, purple. Even if Jury is a fucking psychopath, you ain't any better.

Really? Nanami straight up asks about the watch and Miki fucking dodges the question like a deadbeat father. There better be a good explanation for this.

LOL Nanami asking if the sword coming out hurt. LOL suggestive. Bitch you ruined Jury's life. No it can't go back to the way it was. So much for your fucking "I regret nothing YOLO". Utena how 'bout staying the fuck out of other people's bidness? Since when do we take our high school drama to Papillon's brother? WHERE DID THIS RELATIONSHIP COME FROM?

Are these elevator scenes ACTUALLY happening, or are they just a metaphor? Because I mean, how in the fuck did Shiori even wind up here? And also, this is the first one that isn't about Anthy.
Still no translation of the letter. FML. They even translated the writing outside her locker. Oh, and Utena tells Shadow Wakaba to take off her underwear. HAWT.
Does End of the World even give a fuck that Male Utena and Ambiguously Male Anthy have basically hijacked the duels? Why doesn't Utena ever have Anthy kiss the sword to turn it into a Pink Lightsaber like Touga did?

• AnoNatsu 7: Beach Edition

I think I saw
cametoe
in this episode. #toohawt4me

Every romcom anime needs their beach episode. And 98% of the time it's in Okinawa. Guess where we went this time? Hawaii!
Okinawa

lots of :chet but even more :theonik

romance didn't move forward at all, really.

Jex

I take the complete opposite approach. I am one of those people that find no enjoyment whatsoever from Youtube videos of people smacking headfirst into a telephone pole.

I cannot enjoy Valvrave because it gives me no reason to. Watching the proverbial train derail is only fun if you get to see the steps that lead it to happen and not just a loop of trains going off a cliff.

Valvrave isn't just slapstick stupidity though, nor is it a bunch of random sketches and twists with no thought put into them. Instead what has become apparent from watching the entire season is that the writers had carefully laid out the main story and revelations long in advance and all the twists simply serve to amplify the audiences enjoyment because they escalate over time. This happens, and then THIS happens which makes what happened before even better and so forth. It's deliberately constructed to be as entraining and silly as possible and it's not often that you'll see a show embrace that kind of stupidity.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hatarku Maou-sama end

This definitely deserves another season. It was a sleeper hit, just from the premise I expected it to be dumb but it managed to be something really special. If this doesn't get another season it will be a crime...then again Spice and Wolf still hasn't gotten it's third season...

Shergal

Valvrave isn't just slapstick stupidity though, nor is it a bunch of random sketches and twists with no thought put into them. Instead what has become apparent from watching the entire season is that the writers had carefully laid out the main story and revelations long in advance and all the twists simply serve to amplify the audiences enjoyment because they escalate over time. This happens, and then THIS happens which makes what happened before even better and so forth. It's deliberately constructed to be as entraining and silly as possible and it's not often that you'll see a show embrace that kind of stupidity.

And the dialogue, don't forget the dialogue. The Moses line was the greatest, but even this week we had
SUPERMARKET!
Oh and stuff like the musical coupled with Audrey's glove throw and the others laughing at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom