• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vecks

Hataraku 13

Hmm. Was kind of hoping for more closure to the season. It didn't really feel like an ending, aside from the obligatory ending sequence. Felt like an episode from the middle of a season. Then again, I guess it's better than when an Anime tries to force an ending by shoving in drama that feels so out of place.

zeroshiki

There will only be one Maou in my heart.

magus+sprite.bmp

Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love 2000% 13

6LWZf46l.jpg

I'm not even going to think about this.

Great songs, good choice of the superior OP, boys hip shaking, amazing season.

Saint Seiya Omega Episode 62

Well that episode...
unbelievable that they went through and killed genbu off, I thought gold saints had protection. Now Im worried. Though does it mean Subaru can get stronger?!

I wonder if it's possible to catch up with One Piece. I'm on Ep.71 but the amount of episodes depresses me each time.

Well you've got 530 episodes to go. Let's say about 80 of those are totally skippable. Now let's subtract the OPs/EDs and 5 minute recaps, causing each episode to average out to 15 minutes. That would be 450/4 which is 112.5 hours.

Not even a full week of your life. Totally doable!

Theonik

Hataraku Maou Sama 13
This was a fairly low key ending but I suppose that is to be expected for an ongoing LN adaptation. Really hope we get a second season as complaints aside, the cast was very likeable and fun to watch.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Jojo's Bizarre Adventure] (1993) 6
Jotaro is certainly no Joseph when it comes to thinking up great plans to beat his opponents. Not like
Dio becoming Super Saiyan
was any better!

I think it was obvious Jotaro would use ZA WARUDO too once they mentioned his and Dio's Stands were similar. I enjoyed that glorious spurt of blood, though. I assume this is different from the time that Dio's head was cleaved in half because there's no brain matter left? Splooge.

Would it be daring for me to argue that this was probably one of the best shounen fights in all of anime? Great animation from start to finish, and some of the set ups were genuinely scary.
Jotaro using Star Platinum to stop his own heart
was the sort of material I was expecting when I first heard about Stands, for example. Now I suppose I'm gonna have to read the manga to get more of this.

Fuck yes Polnareff kicking butt. Plus, best ending? Best ending.

[Jojo's Bizarre Adventure] (1993) FIN

So this is pretty much the definitive version of animate Jojo, isn't it? I think Battle Tendency is the better storyline, but none of the issues present with that adaptation are apparent here. High production values from the very beginning while still maintaining the ridiculousness that makes the franchise so fun. The only complaint I could throw to this version of the story is that it starts in the midway point, so it can throw you off if you are watching this without any knowledge on the rest.

Also, and this just occurred to me, what was the point of showing the Stone Mask scene in every episode? They don't make any mention at all of it during the series, and it's probably nonsensical unless you are already familiar with the material. Not that I am against hand-drawn boobies...

Definitely watch this if you cannot wait for David Production to get off their arse. Hell, I doubt they'll get anywhere near close the quality of this series. Just, I don't know, read the manga for the other half or something. 5 out of 5 Mitsuo Isos

Narag

Would it be daring for me to argue that this was probably one of the best shounen fights in all of anime?

Not at all. In fact I think it was watching the fight (sans most of the dialogue) on youtube that finally got me to check out the franchise. Just too much awesome.

Also, and this just occurred to me, what was the point of showing the Stone Mask scene in every episode? They don't make any mention at all of it during the series, and it's probably nonsensical unless you are already familiar with the material. Not that I am against hand-drawn boobies...

For the same reason the OVA started in the middle of the story - it was being made primarily for manga readers who wanted to see key moments animated, not people unfamiliar with the material.

Toradora! 11-13

Had to break my pattern of posting after each episode to marathon the entire arc. I was way too engrossed to stop. Things got real, broskies.
I was totally stunned to see Minori get serious and emotional. Who would have thought she'd butt heads with Ryuji? And what's more, who'd have thought Blue would play the supportive role? I could totally understand how Ryuji felt, since he couldn't empathize with Taiga's issues when having a father in his life would have meant the world to him. But that moment of doubt he had at the end of episode 11 left an ominous shadow over everything that followed. It left you with that feeling in your gut where you knew things were going to get worse, you were just waiting for it to happen. And when it did, it stung. It stung because Taiga was knowingly setting herself up to be hurt like that. But Minori's encouraging but tearful applause was so heartbreaking. That image is what stays with me after the arc. But that climactic marathon was incredibly cathartic in the way Ryuji and Minami were able to let loose and reconcile.
I loved this arc.

CorvoSol

Slayers TRY 18

Well, uh. That happened. I guess it's like Zel said, though "I guess the silly stuff ends with this episode." I hope so, 'cuz the last four have been like a really, really bad trip. This is just weird.

cajunator

Banned
Hataraku Maou Sama 13

This was a fairly low key ending but I suppose that is to be expected for an ongoing LN adaptation. Really hope we get a second season as complaints aside, the cast was very likeable and fun to watch.

Chiho's outfit in the final episode was a work of art.

Now I suppose I'm gonna have to read the manga to get more of this.

Yep. Parts 4 and up have some of the most ridiculously awesome uses of Stand abilities ever. Just know that Araki's art is sometimes REALLY hard to follow.

Also, the OVAs cut out a good chunk of part 3, so go back and read that unless you want to wait for David Production's version.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
For the same reason the OVA started in the middle of the story - it was being made primarily for manga readers who wanted to see key moments animated, not people unfamiliar with the material.
Repeating it in each episode was still overkill.
Yep. Parts 4 and up have some of the most ridiculously awesome uses of Stand abilities ever. Just know that Araki's art is sometimes REALLY hard to follow.

Also, the OVAs cut out a good chunk of part 3, so go back and read that unless you want to wait for David Production's version.
I think I might just start from Part 1. Maybe the ugliness won't distract me this time!

also: need to get a ps3 and the fighting game

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Maoudonalds fin
Man, they didn't even try with that ending.

VVV cour 1 fin
Man, they didn't even try with that ending. :p

With Maoudonalds, I guess if you are too afraid to take any chances with an adaptation, you just limp to the finish line. With VVV, I was expecting something crazy and instead it really was just another cliffhanger the show has pulled over and over again. The only real difference is the "wait", but I've already learned to stop caring about cliffhangers and move on to the next thing so that doesn't even really bother me.

Saint Seiya Omega Episode 62

Well that episode...
unbelievable that they went through and killed genbu off, I thought gold saints had protection. Now Im worried. Though does it mean Subaru can get stronger?!

I'm not against him gaining more powers , but his design suck.

But yeah what happenned this episode was unexpected.

Oh, that's in an hour and half, looks like.

There were what, like, three or four people from this community watching the show?
I was watching phi brain
It was awesome.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - 3

Yoko better get a mech soon cause she is awesome.

So the enemies eradicate humans? Odd, considering the one who attacked them clearly seems to be human himself, but for all I know he could be an elf or something.

LOOOOOOL, want a powerup? Just stick the mini-mech onto the big one, and BOOM instant powerup. It's a good thing this happened early on or I would be calling bullshit. There should be a good explanation for what happened sooner or later.

So the adventure begins! With no other goal but take down those human eradicators or whatever they are. Something tells me the fun is just starting...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - 3

Yoko better get a mech soon cause she is awesome.

So the enemies eradicate humans? Odd, considering the one who attacked them clearly seems to be human himself, but for all I know he could be an elf or something.

LOOOOOOL, want a powerup? Just stick the mini-mech onto the big one, and BOOM instant powerup. It's a good thing this happened early on or I would be calling bullshit. There should be a good explanation for what happened sooner or later.

So the adventure begins! With no other goal but take down those human eradicators or whatever they are. Something tells me the fun is just starting...

Explanation? It was awesome, that's your explanation.

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

I thought we were friends Falafel!

Friends can disagree! I actually enjoyed Mitsudomoe for what it was but constant gags based on misunderstandings gets old. The leaner fat loli season is the better one because when it wears out its welcome it's practically done.

Mitsudomoe deserved a full run, and was a great awkward comedy.

I think every show deserves the length that the creators intended to express what they wanted to and I'm sure the surprise shortening threw a wrench in their plans but that doesn't mean it can't lead to better results. It's all hypothetical now but I doubt the extra five episodes would've suddenly made for a better show when they probably put all their best material in the ones we got anyway.

Weird that this is the opinion that gets people riled up. I figured thinking that UN-GO was worth it despite terrible characters or that Heartcatch is just above average would've gotten me more flack.

Jotaro is certainly no Joseph when it comes to thinking up great plans to beat his opponents. Not like
Dio becoming Super Saiyan
was any better!

I think it was obvious Jotaro would use ZA WARUDO too once they mentioned his and Dio's Stands were similar. I enjoyed that glorious spurt of blood, though. I assume this is different from the time that Dio's head was cleaved in half because there's no brain matter left? Splooge.

Would it be daring for me to argue that this was probably one of the best shounen fights in all of anime? Great animation from start to finish, and some of the set ups were genuinely scary.
Jotaro using Star Platinum to stop his own heart
was the sort of material I was expecting when I first heard about Stands, for example. Now I suppose I'm gonna have to read the manga to get more of this.

Fuck yes Polnareff kicking butt. Plus, best ending? Best ending.

So this is pretty much the definitive version of animate Jojo, isn't it? I think Battle Tendency is the better storyline, but none of the issues present with that adaptation are apparent here. High production values from the very beginning while still maintaining the ridiculousness that makes the franchise so fun. The only complaint I could throw to this version of the story is that it starts in the midway point, so it can throw you off if you are watching this without any knowledge on the rest.

Definitely watch this if you cannot wait for David Production to get off their arse. Hell, I doubt they'll get anywhere near close the quality of this series. Just, I don't know, read the manga for the other half or something. 5 out of 5 Mitsuo Isos

Glad you enjoyed this, although the OVAs really do make Kakyoin seem useless, when he does more in the manga (obviously), but 1993 really does give Jotaro the screen time he needed in the 2000s OVA. Think I'm almost done with its manga counterpart.

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Episode 12

Hayama defending Hikki was really good, and I noticed that he never did say he disagreed with Hikki's methods or even anything he was saying. Perhaps they are more similar than they thought and could have/be friends at some point.

Will miss this series once it ends next week :(

Defuser

Hataraku Maou-sama! ep 13

So long best comedy show of the season. Its been a fun ride to watch and have participate in the team emi/chiho wars. I hope for a season 2 despite bad future source.

Better comedy than Yuyushiki.

zeroshiki

The problem with Valvrave turning up the crazy is that it has no cache with me. I don't care about any of this so going nutso on everything isn't particularly entertaining since I don't know these characters. You can talk all you want about how Geass went off the rails but at least Geass took the effort to introduce these characters to the viewers before having terrible things happen to them.

Theonik

The problem with Valvrave turning up the crazy is that it has no cache with me. I don't care about any of this so going nutso on everything isn't particularly entertaining since I don't know these characters. You can talk all you want about how Geass went off the rails but at least Geass took the effort to introduce these characters to the viewers before having terrible things happen to them.
Yes, Geass was a lot better at getting you to care about the characters. Though the amusement of watching the show go crazy has little to do with that.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Slayers TRY 18

Well, uh. That happened. I guess it's like Zel said, though "I guess the silly stuff ends with this episode." I hope so, 'cuz the last four have been like a really, really bad trip. This is just weird.

Yep, that's how all Slayers seasons work.

Even the one they made over 10 years after TRY. (despite the fact that they split it into two 13 episode seasons, it follows the formula to the letter).

CorvoSol

Revolutionary Girl Utena 16

STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCK FOOOOOOTAGE.

Staying up late watching TV with a bag of chips is the most normal thing I've ever seen Anthy do for herself. I just don't know if she's doing it because she wants to, or because its part of the normal girl veneer she's putting on for Utena.

The creepy thing about Utena is how I think something, and then someone on the screen says it. Like I'm like "OOOOH, Nanami that is a nice dress on you, guuurrrl." and then ten seconds later the cast is all "OOOOOOH NANAMI WHAT A NICE DRESS." GET OUT OF MY HEAD.

To be Nanami is to suffer. A cowbell. LOLOLOLOL. And that Legend of Zelda chest opening scene, too! LOLOLOL.
I'm all about this Utena x Miki thing. Screw Papillon. Utena and Miki have some good chem. Not as good as Utena and Wakaba, but hey, nobody can match Wakaba.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom