• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I didn't enjoy it one bit. Besides looking ugly, the puzzles were pretty glossed over at times and I really just couldn't wrap my head around puzzles being used to kill people.

I mean a children's card game is plausible but I guess my line is god damn puzzles.

Now for me, I'm attracted to shows in which the entire world revolves around a very specific and bizarre conceit. I guess I'm broken from watching so much Yu-Gi-Oh, but the idea of puzzles being SERIOUS BUSINESS and the vaguely YGO-esque eXxTrE3Me hair give me the sense that I'm probably predisposed to finding the bullshit entertaining and campy instead of bad. I trust your opinion, but now I kind of want to see if my experience matches up with yours.

Oh, and it's also directed by mai husbando SatoJun.

Part 3 certainly has its good fights, I think the problem is that it has too many joke ones. I'm thinking specifically stuff like
the sun and the fight with the killer car
. The arc just really didn't need to go that long.

Also, yeah the two fights you mention are awesome, especially the Pet Shop vs Iggy one. Really tense in a fun way. I'd also add the D'arby fights and Steely Dan fight to the list of ones I love as well.

I think you're really going to love Diamond, though. Josuke is a lot goofier and less capable than, say, Joseph was, but that makes him lovable. He has to rely on his friends a lot more than the others and it creates an interesting dynamic. His hair is, of course awesome and his stand Crazy Diamond is cool as well.

One of the thing I notice about the stands in Diamond is that Araki just gets creative and cool with them. There are such a variety of different abilities. It makes things really crazy. I'd say most of the stands harken back to the D'arby ones in that they're interesting, but they don't operate in the way you expect. Much more interesting than something like Magician's Red that just spits fire.

Yeah, I can definitely see that, as D'Arby's "fight" was utterly amazing in the 1993 OVA. It was probably one of the most interesting "fights" in the OVA itself. Actually reading the D'Arby the gamer arc right now.

But yeah, there are some "well not surprising" kind of abilities, but there's some cool ones being thrown into the mix.

In any case, I think expecting Battle Tendency pacing just won't happen again. Jojolion in itself feels long, especially with it being monthly.

yami4ct

Part 4 Jotaro is a lot more badass than Part 3 Jotaro.

It's where the stands start getting truly funky, so there's that. It's fun, but people expecting the pacing and the sheer machismo of Battle Tendency are going to be disappointed.

Part 2 so perfects the machismo that I don't think any part could top it. I'm kind of glad that Araki decided to go in a goofier, more fun JoJo in the later parts. I feel like it keeps it more fresh than if he tried to make Battle Tendency over and over.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Teacher story time!

Went outside for recess to play soccer with my 6th graders. Keep in mind that soccer is one of the only sports I genuinely hate playing and truly suck at, but hey, why not right?

I opt to play goal keeper so I don't have to move all that much, and end up with a group of my students linking arms with me to form a dumbass wall. I then go on to make up a song by combining the japanese word for wall (kabe), with kamehameha cause it reminded and I'm an idiot.

I start singing the Kabehameha song, and in a few seconds, my wall of 6th graders are singing it too. By the end of recess, all of my sixth graders who were playing soccer linked arms and sang the kabehameha song with me.

It was weird as fuck but awesome.

That is all.

Hahaha that's awesome. Thanks again for the stories!

Teacher story time!

Went outside for recess to play soccer with my 6th graders. Keep in mind that soccer is one of the only sports I genuinely hate playing and truly suck at, but hey, why not right?

I opt to play goal keeper so I don't have to move all that much, and end up with a group of my students linking arms with me to form a dumbass wall. I then go on to make up a song by combining the japanese word for wall (kabe), with kamehameha cause it reminded and I'm an idiot.

I start singing the Kabehameha song, and in a few seconds, my wall of 6th graders are singing it too. By the end of recess, all of my sixth graders who were playing soccer linked arms and sang the kabehameha song with me.

That is all.

I suddenly want to become a teacher.

Ojamajo Doremi - 23

One thing I feel while watching is that too much things happen in one episode, in all of them.
The parents
still don't want to throw away Majo Ruka's goods.
Aiko gets a new
harmonica from her father, but she has one that she received from him and her mother, we get a Aiko flash back...

Aiko ;____;
iDbsu7O.jpg

Oh well, this happened too.

...with ties later
with her reward for the level 6 witch test, a new wand who is like that one from
Sailor Moon
who I forgot the name, since she really loved her harmonica, her new wand is full of new magic spheres,
and the girls now are ready to face Majo Ruka.

Hataraku Maou-sama! 13

AAFFkwol.jpg

Yeah, Greenland. Watch out, you had it easy for too long!

Not really a last episode besides that whole will they go back question that kept getting brought up. But the last scene was pretty nice as it was a nice callback to the beginning of the show.

Show that I was completely hyped for at the start followed through. I welcome these fantasy characters tossed into the modern world shows now.

Show that I was completely hyped for at the start followed through. I welcome these fantasy characters tossed into the modern world shows now.

Yeah, this was probably my top show this season. (although I haven't seen the last episode yet)

Does anybody have anime suggestions similar to Maou-sama?

CorvoSol

But why not?

Because giant robots and a war in space? It was obvious from the very beginning that Ledo wasn't going to stay on the Gargantia forever and ever. It was expedient because you don't drop the audience into a story about a post-apocalyptic Earth and alien threat without a large number of them expecting you're going to explain those things and have a showdown of good guys and bad guys.

If you expected more out of Gargantia than that, you were looking in the wrong genre.

Gankutsuou #15
What the fuck are they wearing? Were the writers on LSD when they wrote this part?

Well, part of the backstory was revealed. Got framed, betrayed, etc, etc. I guess the powers came from whatever was sealed in the space-prison. Hope they'll show us some flashbacks about him and Mercedes though.

I did enjoy
Haydée pointing fingers, though the series was more fun when it was the Count trolling everyone in background.

Ok, but now, my main problem with the last couple episodes: Albert character and his relationship with the Count:

Even if i accept Albert has the biggest mancrush on the Count ever, i really can't catalogue their relationship. The way he acts around the Count makes no sense to me, especially after he left the woman he loved on Earth after they both pretty much confessed... only for the show to suddenly do a completely 180° "I know this is not what Eugenie wants. She'd never volunteer to get engaged to a guy like Cavalcanti" "I'm not so sure" WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU SMOKING ALBERT

Albert's relationship with the Count is dependent upon the adaptation.

VVV doesn't have an episode where I'm supposed to actually feel sorry for these characters though. Yeah, they go through the motions of being human beings, but to me they are just caricatures.

The MJP characters aren't even that much, yet the show insists on treating them as if they were identifiable in any real meaningful way.

Meanwhile, I would argue that the cast of Gargantia does have a few I can care about. Chiefly Ledo and Chamber, but also Ridget, who was a fairly sympathetic character a few weeks back when she had to deal with the
sudden loss of someone she loved and respected, the sudden acquisition of power and responsibility, and of course Pinion being the world's biggest douchebag.

I'm not saying Gargantia is the best show ever, but its definitely the best one I'm watching this season. Especially after Attack on Titan shot itself in the head.

Quasar

So summer approaches, and for the most part the only thing of interest there appears to be is Silver Spoon. Well at least of those I'm not too embarrassed to name.

That's not to say I won't taste as many shows as I can, but really I don't know what I should be looking forward to.

Now that I think about it, I find it weird at how injured someone gets in Stardust Crusaders, but they gotta keep trucking yo! Unless something happens like scratching their eyes :/

Toradora! 14-15

Taiga becomes a laughing buddha! Minori becomes JoJo! Kitamura becomes a Super Saiyan! Ami becomes a snot rag! And Ryuji becomes (even more of) a housewife! Character development!

zeroshiki

I haven't studied the new season at all but I'm interested in Silver Spoon, Free! and Fantasista Dolls primarily because of the staff involved (timeslot in Silver Spoon's case).

Articalys

Via @WTK: Crimson Star Media, a new anime licensing & localization company, to reveal 1st anime license on Saturday
Crimson Star Media is a group of avid anime fans that started out working in fansub groups, subtitling and releasing anime every season as it aired. We loved anime so much that we decided to try our hand at getting into the industry. Crimson Star is still in the beginning stages and trying to raise capital. At the moment we are currently in contact with many various Japanese licensors for particular titles. Also we are trying our hardest to form partnerships with other pre-existing companies to help in our endeavors. We hope to bring some good news anime fans way very soon. So stay tuned.
They posted four picture clues to what the title is: a blue eye, an up arrow in a circle, the fraction 1/2, and a half moon.

oh my grosh this is probably old news to everyone else but I just noticed the Live Thread button updated.

I suddenly have purpose in keeping the AnimeGAF tab pinned

and purpose in my life

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I tried to watch the OVA recently, but I just can't bring myself to do it. After reading it, I've come to the conclusion that I hate Stardust Crusaders. That arc goes on way too long, has like 3 good fights, and the worst JoJo. I mean, Polnareff is a great character, but everyone else besides maybe Iggy are just boring to watch/read. The thought of watching the OVA only to have to watch Stardust again when the David Production version comes out soundssuper unappealing. The only reason that I'm excited for more DP JoJo is the prospect of seeing the absolutely amazing Diamond is Not Crash animated. Now that's an amazing part on par with Battle Tendency.
Jotaro
is also way more interesting than he ever is in Stardust.
Watch it for Mitsuo Iso. Watch it for Satoshi Kon.

yami4ct

oh my grosh this is probably old news to everyone else but I just noticed the Live Thread button.

I suddenly have purpose in keeping the AnimeGAF tab pinned

and purpose in my life

Wait, wait. What is this button and where is it? Please tell me it does what I think it does.

Dresden

Part 2 so perfects the machismo that I don't think any part could top it. I'm kind of glad that Araki decided to go in a goofier, more fun JoJo in the later parts. I feel like it keeps it more fresh than if he tried to make Battle Tendency over and over.

I don't mind the direction it went in, but I miss the focus and the swift pacing of BT more than anything else.

And man, people hate Jotaro too much. P4 Jotaro is swag as fuck.

Nice Watch. Too bad you won't be able to tell the time after I break it. Your face that is.

:swoon:

firehawk12

Subete no aware
At this point he's a salaryman :p It's not like he's doing other things while using this to keep him afloat. He is ruining his monocle cred.
Tamayura forever! Maybe he could adapt Amanchu as well.

Because giant robots and a war in space? It was obvious from the very beginning that Ledo wasn't going to stay on the Gargantia forever and ever. It was expedient because you don't drop the audience into a story about a post-apocalyptic Earth and alien threat without a large number of them expecting you're going to explain those things and have a showdown of good guys and bad guys.

If you expected more out of Gargantia than that, you were looking in the wrong genre.
Or they could have just focused on what it meant to be human with the gentler scifi tropes it was using in the beginning instead of the horribly on the nose tropes being used now.

Meanwhile, I would argue that the cast of Gargantia does have a few I can care about. Chiefly Ledo and Chamber, but also Ridget, who was a fairly sympathetic character a few weeks back when she had to deal with the
sudden loss of someone she loved and respected, the sudden acquisition of power and responsibility, and of course Pinion being the world's biggest douchebag.

I'm not saying Gargantia is the best show ever, but its definitely the best one I'm watching this season. Especially after Attack on Titan shot itself in the head.
And that's the thing, I cared about these people until the plot made me stop caring.

Imagine if Aria had some stupid twist like... I dunno, Mars was actually an alien creature and it became sentient in the last episode and ate Neo Venezia. Why would I give a shit if that's what the end game of the show turns out to be?

CorvoSol

Tamayura forever! Maybe he could adapt Amanchu as well.

Or they could have just focused on what it meant to be human with the gentler scifi tropes it was using in the beginning instead of the horribly on the nose tropes being used now.

And that's the thing, I cared about these people until the plot made me stop caring.

Imagine if Aria had some stupid twist like... I dunno, Mars was actually an alien creature and it became sentient in the last episode and ate Neo Venezia. Why would I give a shit if that's what the end game of the show turns out to be?

I don't get the Aria reference, but again, I think you just expected too much of Gargantia. At the very worst you must surely have been prepared for the moment when
Ledo slaughters the Hideauze and the show is like "Hey, what are the consequences of all this?"

yami4ct

I don't mind the direction it went in, but I miss the focus and the swift pacing of BT more than anything else.

And man, people hate Jotaro too much. P4 Jotaro is swag as fuck.

Nice Watch. Too bad you won't be able to tell the time after I break it. Your face that is.

:swoon:

Part 4 Jotaro is great. Most of my hate definitely comes from Part 3. It's amazing how much more swagger he gets between parts. All of his dialogue in the
hunting the rat
arc of the manga is amazing.

Crime Edge end

And so ends the romantic tale of a barber and the super-powered serial killers that just won't leave him alone. Final episode was pretty the previous episode + epilogue, really only expanding on just how nasty Kiri's ability is.

This was a good show. Definitely served as a great refresher where I left off in the manga, and served as just plain fun when it went beyond that point.

The action and animation was far beyond what I expected. Who could have guessed the show with the best animation this season would be a fetishistic action hair-cutting anime? Definitely not me!

But what was the deal with those random scenes in the credits? Was that teasing upcoming events that won't be adapted because this super bomba'd? Weird.

Looks like the manga translations have not caught up with the anime, so I guess I'll wait a few chapters and then jump back into that.

Dresden

Part 4 Jotaro is great. Most of my hate definitely comes from Part 3. It's amazing how much more swagger he gets between parts. All of his dialogue in the
hunting the rat

I think it helps that his design gets much better, too. And yeah, that little arc with the
rat
is swag as fuck, and has Josuke being pretty cool as well.

If there's one character I don't like in Diamond is not Crash, it's Okuyasu.

RIP Railgun S2

Basically, looks like it's getting an "Original Story" this summer.

Too lazy to awkwardly translate the summary ~_~

Yeah, I saw this in the morning. It was expected, with the Sisters arc going up to 16.

yami4ct

It's a browser extension for Chrome and I think Firefox.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397834

I thought for a second it was just integrated into standard GAF, but then I remembered I didn't uninstall the extension lol

It was just updated for chrome to work for the new layout. Looks like I'll need to wait for the Safari version. Yes, I'm a mac user asshole who still uses safari for some reason.

I think it helps that his design gets much better, too. And yeah, that little arc with the
rat
is swag as fuck, and has Josuke being pretty cool as well.

If there's one character I don't like in Diamond is not Crash, it's Okuyasu.

Oh man, I really like Okuyasu. He's got a real Yu Yu Hakusho Kuwabara feel to me and I'm a sucker for that style of character. I love dumb oafs who stumble into solutions to their fights. All the ways Okuyasu accidentally makes things harder for/beats his opponents are great. He doesn't really get many moments of being a badass, and that hurts him, but I find him really fun just the same.

hunting the rat

Sounds good.

I mean a lot of my hate does in fact, come from Part 3 in regards to Jotaro. This is about as much as I read.

Mature

Teacher story time!

That is all.
This is the best!

Dresden

Oh man, I really like Okuyasu. He's got a real Yu Yu Hakusho Kuwabara feel to me and I'm a sucker for that style of character. I love dumb oafs who stumble into solutions to their fights. All the ways Okuyasu accidentally makes things harder for/beats his opponents are great. He doesn't really get many moments of being a badass, and that hurts him, but I find him really fun just the same.

I don't know man, Kuwabara gets like, real character growth and becomes a man. Okuyasu just kinda disappears after the
RHCP fight
where he
fucks up EVERYTHING like three times in a row.
Just infuriating.

yami4ct

Sounds good.

I mean a lot of my hate does in fact, come from Part 3 in regards to Jotaro. This is about as much as I read.

Yeah, Jotaro goes from a boring, personality-free badass in Part 3 who occasionally throws out a clever 1-liner to a really cocky, swag-filled badass who constantly throws out witty repartee toward villains and friends alike. It's great.

Yeah, Jotaro goes from a boring, personality-free badass in Part 3 who occasionally throws out a clever 1-liner to a really cocky, swag-filled badass who constantly throws out witty repartee toward villains and friends alike. It's great.

Oh man, and I'm almost done with Stardust Crusaders. Almost makes me wish I didn't have work tomorrow so I could spend the night reading it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom