• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

Hey AnimeGAF, my brain is a little perplexed. My brother and I were looking through some early 2000's anime charts when he saw the [IMG=http://cdn03.animenewsnetwork.com/images/encyc/A2654-5.jpg]preview image for Planetes[/IMG]. This triggered a vague memory in him of me watching some anime. At the time he only glanced at the screen for maybe a few seconds. He recalls something about space, the people were wearing orange and something about getting resources. This may or may not have been about launching a rocket in to space. Buildings and other structures in the setting had a seemingly older or rusted look. He noted the animation style seemed to be different from your typical anime.

It's not something like Moonlight Mile, is it? I haven't seen it but it sounds like it could be similar.

My first guess would have been Planetes because of the orange jumpsuits, but I didn't realise they're standard astronaut clothing!

SNAFU - 13 END
xm0q.png

Considering that it was anime original episode it was pretty decent. Really going to miss this show. Started rather slow but it grew on me over time. Refreshing romcom. Hope for good disc sales and second season sometime in the future. Behind crazy crazy valvrave my second best show of the season.

/XX/

Buta Connection • Consulter le sujet - Deux nouveaux films 2013 annonces
http://www.buta-connection.net/phpB...4&sid=13b2ef446bb2641a613df4b540d2ef03#p75174

This quotes from The Wind Rises recent press conference or presentation, translated by fabrice based on the eiga.com (映画.com) transcription, are really something else:

• Hideaki Anno was really surprised that Hayao Miyazaki ended up crying at it, as he isn't accustomed to Mr. Miyazaki showing his emotions at all.
  • Mr. Anno explaining he didn't force his interpretation but instead simply speak naturally to the microphone.
  • Mr. Anno's own shyness making difficult his act when he had to interpret "embarrassing" scenes featuring the intimacy proper of a happily married couple, to which Mr. Miyazaki jokingly affirmed he won't be going to show them to Ms. Anno (Moyoco Anno).
  • In response to words of Toshio Suzuki where he mentioned this last movie as being "a testament" from the director, Mr. Miyazaki himself said he definitely has the intention of living a little bit more.

Maiden Japan licenses Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise (technically a license rescue, but w/e)
Now there's no excuse not to buy it!
There was never an excuse!
In before someone argues about a CERTAIN scene being a possible excuse, I'll take the opportunity to link an opinion piece by Jack Owen Gyll, that tackles the topic in a, I think, very focused and impressively discerning manner (because I agree completely with him and puts things in a nicely expressed way I couldn't ever make... he, he). Be advised, obviously there are heavy spoilers of the movie on it, careful:

The Wings of Honneamise and THAT scene | Sketches, Scratches and Scattered Thoughts
http://sketchesandscratches.wordpress.com/2013/03/22/the-wings-of-honneamise-and-that-scene/

Isn't the show called GAINAX?
At least it should be called 'GAiNAX & Kichijōji Tron', because this will be their real breakthrough. It is worth a mention!

fertygo

SNAFU - 13 END
xm0q.png

Considering that it was anime original episode it was pretty decent. Really going to miss this show. Started rather slow but it grew on me over time. Refreshing romcom. Hope for good disc sales and second season sometime in the future. Behind crazy crazy valvrave my second best show of the season.

The tracking for its sales look good, so its a nice sign for S2!

The tracking for its sales look good, so its a nice sign for S2!

That is great news! They pretty much went trough all the material though (end of episode 12 was end of volume 6 and there is seven volumes) so we have to probably wait at least over a year for sequel if there is going to be one. =/

cnet128

Banned
I did like the Monogatari characters' old hairstyles, but I think it's cool that they're changing them up. I don't think it should be too difficult to get used to these new looks.

(Also, best girl Mayoi seems completely unchanged! Can't fix perfection! =D)

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I did like the Monogatari characters' old hairstyles, but I think it's cool that they're changing them up. I don't think it should be too difficult to get used to these new looks.

(Also, best girl Mayoi seems completely unchanged! Can't fix perfection! =D)

.________.

Hachikuji is barely better than Hanakawa, so second worst girl.

Φ Brain 1:

Finally, an anime where a character committing sudoku is actually plausible.

It's also no wonder that this is one of DTL's favorites. Bishounen everywhere. I still hope that there are more girls other than Forehead because her 'tude is so forced.

Yeeeaaaaahhh Someone else is watching phi brain !
This isn't an anime to teach you animthing , it's an anime to have fun.
Also there are girls in this show in somehow important roles, don't worry

Φ Brain 2:

Okay, so let me get this straight. There's some kind of GLOBAL PUZZLE CONSPIRACY spanning the entire duration of human civilization in some kind of competition with each other to achieve godhood through PUZZLES. The Pyramids of Giza? Puzzle. Stonehenge? Puzzle. Suck it, Giorgio Tsoukalos. They also scout out people who are really good at PUZZLES and then force them into combat through SAGE PUZZLES, rewarding them with treasure if they solve the puzzle but killing them if they can't. Because this furthers the organizations ambitions...uhh.....somehow I guess. Oh well, it's definitely not like there being some kind of basic established impetus for Kaito to continually put his life on the line over PUZZLES would give some context to events or anything. Shounen haato means never having to ask why the hell any of this is happening.

And the GLOBAL PUZZLE CONSPIRACY's name? I shit you not, POG. This is either an awesome coincidence or whoever writes this stuff has an improbable grasp on 90s American youth culture. If this show ever drops a Crazy Bones reference I'll give it a 10/10 on MAL.

Kaito also has a mysterious pager thing given to him by POG that also serves as a convenient visual aid for whatever puzzle he's solving at the moment, like pretty much every DS/WiiU game where the second screen is permanently relegated to boring map/menu/inventory duty. Kaito must be thrilled that anonymous puzzle-crazed psychopaths from anywhere in the world can just call him up at any time and be like:

"yo, come and solve my puzzle that I designed specifically around the sadistic pleasure I'll feel watching your horrifying death!

...wait, did I make that sound like an invitation? Because it's not. It's an order."

Taking POG's objectives into consideration, I'm left scratching my head as to why they're so obsessed with Kaito's potential when apparently being really really good at PUZZLES simply gives you the power to use a plothax device that essentially solves puzzles for you. I feel like this organization doesn't respect true puzzlemanship.
Those points will be covered later..good observations and the anime adresses them.

I suppose that I should also say something about Gammon; he's a tsundere delinquent with some impressive crazy faces and Kaito's insta-rival. He clearly has some kind of pivotal role in this ongoing series of events, but for now the only question I'm asking myself about him is whether or not he's the seme or the uke.

Seme or uke ? why choose one , why not be both :D ?

cnet128

Banned
.________.

Hachikuji is barely better than Hanakawa, so second worst girl.

Mayoi >>>>>>> Karen > Tsukihi ≥ Kanbaru ≥ Shinobu = Nadeko > Senjougahara > Hanekawa

All the girls are good, but Mayoi is just on a whole different level of perfection.

sonicmj1

Hataraku Maou-sama 13

iQyu457UEe2Wk.jpg

I guess the best girl wins after all.

An uneventful conclusion to the sleeper success of the season. I liked Hataraku Maou-sama's light comedy. They handled its premise really well, finding a lot of ways to take the characters and their outsider status in unexpected directions. I think it helped a lot that they let plenty of time elapse such that everyone got more or less acclimated to the basics of society. It let the character relationships take center stage.

I suspect that the scam guy would come back if they decide to do a season 2. It sounds like S1 was already a big step above some pretty mediocre source material, so I'd be on board with more no matter how the plot's supposed to go.

Kind of weird how involved the waifu wars got on here when Maou clearly has no interest in anyone.

Theonik

Hataraku Maou-sama 13

Kind of weird how involved the waifu wars got on here when Maou clearly has no interest in anyone.
It's not like we are not intended to approach the material that way though. A lot of Maou is really standard Harem with a twist. While at the same time the show compensates with a solid cast and interactions.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is exactly what I meant.
Yeah, if you want to build a show on stupid cliffhangers, this is how you do it. You have to go with it. Even better if you can avoid camp and be as serious as possible.

It's not something like Moonlight Mile, is it? I haven't seen it but it sounds like it could be similar.

My first guess would have been Planetes because of the orange jumpsuits, but I didn't realise they're standard astronaut clothing!
Hrm. I've never seen it, but does it have that destroyed future look?

---

PhotoKano fin
lPfYJjul.jpg

:anti-ABF
lol

I find it weird that they couldn't find a way to dump the sister into the rest of the series, but I guess they wanted to try to do an "emotional" episode to end the series on.

SNAFU fin
yZiQ7nPl.jpg

Heh, people thought it would end with the
party
I guess, but instead they came up with another way to end the show without any of the stakes of the rest of the series. Which is fine, if you're trying to come up with an anime-original ending that offers some small amount of closure but also doesn't actually settle anything because you have to keep the novels going until sales start dipping.

I hope we get a sequel series two years from now, but I figure this is basically going to be a franchise that is basically dead. But, Batman is more than just a man. He is a symbol that gives us hope. The Dark Knight will rise! Etc.

/XX/

Haha, I've read Kizu so I already do have plenty of perspective on Hanakawa, I will keep that in mind though. :)
That's nice! Although in Nekomonogatari (White) is the narration what gives a much better insight.

I certainly am looking forward to Zenmonogatari a lot more than to the previous adaptations. Not too condensed in content like Nekomonogatari (Black), but a lot of surprising things to see!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Eden of the East 08 - Searching for the Path Already Lost

Recap

Akira dreams of Diana flying away with one of the mutant creatures from his earlier hallucination. Saki declines to tell him about Diana. The group has an absurdly long conversation with Osugi about why they thought it was him who was held captive. Osugi says if they plan to work with Akira, he quits Eden of the East.
Osugi sees Saki and Akira walking together. uguu~~~i have a crush on u~~~

Osugi being a creep:
mMCka91l.jpg

Akira asks the Eden crew to try to fix one of the other SELACAO phones (I think the Cop's?). None of the group can but they suggest that Akira go talk to a programmer called... ugh... "Panties". Saki and Michan (the younger female) tag along.

Osugi zoom-enhances Akira in the Eden site but there's no info on him. So he asks the site who it is--and 20 respondants give 20 different names. It seems Akira was a busy beaver before the memory wipe. Osugi has an ultra-meltdown and freaks the hell out.

bDQJBiQl.png

Michan tells Akira that "Panties" had a project to predict major trends and shifts in society and that it worked until he got bored and stopped working on it. Hmm, I wonder what mysterious organization would be interested in that kind of tech. Oh thank heavens, "Panties" has a real name -- Yutaka Itazu... I'm not sure if this is the reversed name order or the western name order.

Itazu slips the visitors some cash and asks them to go what I'm assuming are adult magazines. I have no idea what the cultural context is here, but... gross.

Gross CG water in an outside shot:
dgmKtVKl.jpg

Akira tells Itazu the dirt on the SELACAO in order to gain his trust. Itazu says that on the internet, everyone blindly thinks that the Johnny Hunter and the NEET disappearance are connected... well they're pretty obviously not, since at 5 kidnappings and murders a day, it'd still take ten years to kidnap and murder 20,000 people so it's dead obvious that they weren't taken one by one, but anyway... We learn that Itazu, who is a hermit, identifies with the NEET and wants to solve the mystery. Akira cooperates.

Review:
Uneventful episode that sets Osugi up to be the major thorn in the group's side but otherwise doesn't tell us much about anyone or introduce any other SELACAO.

Jintor

It's not like we are not intended to approach the material that way though. A lot of Maou is really standard Harem with a twist. While at the same time the show compensates with a solid cast and interactions.

If the male lead displays zero interest in romance, does that affect a show's harem status?

Theonik

If the male lead displays zero interest in romance, does that affect a show's harem status?
No. Most harem leads are asexual after all.

For a harem show you would need more than two love interests in the first place. And I can only count 1 1/2 possible pairings at this point.
Pretty much every female introduced so far with the exception of the friend and the owner perhaps has been shown as a possible love interest at least once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom