• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

maou-sama - 13

this

1vm5wsn.jpg

was

decent

CorvoSol

Valvrave 12
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHA! AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

TEEHEEHEETEEHEETEEHEEAHAHAHAHAHAHA? HOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK! JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ! WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHABWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Φ Brain 1:

Finally, an anime where a character committing sudoku is actually plausible.

I don't want to presume too much based on a single episode, but I find it kind of amusing that this may be another example of an NHK educational show that doesn't actually teach anything, like Element Hunters with its make-shit-up-as-you-go approach to molecular chemistry. This is the one anime where an onslaught of internal monologue would actually be useful and yet there's not a whole lot in the way of thought processes or visualizations revealed to the viewer; Kaito just solves shit instantly off screen and we simply accept that it's because he's a genius puzzle-solver. It's pretty funny how blatant all of the animation tricks used to depict Kaito solving something without actually depicting him solving something are. Granted, almost every puzzle in this episode was banal number trick stuff anyway, so things may change once ridiculously-elaborate puzzles become commonplace in the story
or not considering that the whole premise of this show seems to be that the main character gets some kind of plothax item that allows him to solve SUPER PUZZLES.

That said, I kind of liked it! It scratches my Yu-Gi-Oh! itch in the weirdest way, perhaps partially because the character design is vaguely Takahashi-esque with the crazy hair and rockin' 90s face lines; perhaps partially because this, too, starts with the main character acquiring the MILLENNIUM PUZZLE. I'm also predisposed to enjoying this sort of thing for the reasons I mentioned in an earlier post. Sadly, if I keep liking it, it sure as hell won't be because of SatoJun; firehawk's right that he's phoning it in on this one. His only involvement beyond being series director was apparently storyboarding this episode, and there's nothing in this indicative of his influence at all. It's a shame because something this campy is perfect for tons of Satouface.

It's also no wonder that this is one of DTL's favorites. Bishounen everywhere. I still hope that there are more girls other than Forehead because her 'tude is so forced.

CorvoSol

Slayers TRY 20

Basically that whole scene from FF7 where Aerith meets Cloud. Except this time Cloud is a space alien God who is searching for a mystical weapon made by a demon for the express purpose of killing demons so he can kill a demon.

Valvrave 12
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHA! AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

TEEHEEHEETEEHEETEEHEEAHAHAHAHAHAHA? HOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK! JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ! WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHABWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

:corvo's back, everyone!

CorvoSol

Best Girl Wakaba 18

I'm not crazy, right? I mean, I'm DEFINITELY not the only one who sees this, am I? Papillon Noir and Anthy Himemiya have the same face, personality, and goofy Frenchiness. Both of them also hang out with pink haired badass heroines.

OH PLEASE LET TODAY'S OPPONENT BE TSUWABUKI. I want that so bad. Golly, at the tender age of whatever, Tsuwabuki already realizes that White Knighting is an ineffective strategy for getting laid. Hahaha. What are Nanami's good points, Tsuwabuki? Elucidate for me. Girl murders kittens. I mean, I guess her new yellow duds are okay, but again, murders kittens.

Ahahaha, this show needs to stay out of my head. Kid reaches for a banana and says "If she just eats this, I'll be happy" and girl next to him immediately quips "That's dirty!" Hahahaha.

This entire conversation about being grown up is LEWD. Also I can't believe Utena hasn't even once considered that Anthy's brother looks just like her prince. Going deeper on a little kid? LEWD. Why didn't he tell Tsuwabuki to Revolutionize the world? AHAHAHAHAHA. Pulls swords out of a woman's breasts and says it will make him a man. This is so haha, so LEWD. Hahaha, using blood donation as a double entendre for sex, hahaha. Clever.

best Raven or BEST RAVEN?

I believe the people KNOW WHAT THEY WANT.

Wow, just realized both those properties are now owned by Disney.

Haha, wow, that is uncanny.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Φ Brain 2:

Okay, so let me get this straight. There's some kind of GLOBAL PUZZLE CONSPIRACY spanning the entire duration of human civilization in some kind of competition with each other to achieve godhood through PUZZLES. The Pyramids of Giza? Puzzle. Stonehenge? Puzzle. Suck it, Giorgio Tsoukalos. They also scout out people who are really good at PUZZLES and then force them into combat through SAGE PUZZLES, rewarding them with treasure if they solve the puzzle but killing them if they can't. Because this furthers the organizations ambitions...uhh.....somehow I guess. Oh well, it's definitely not like there being some kind of basic established impetus for Kaito to continually put his life on the line over PUZZLES would give some context to events or anything. Shounen haato means never having to ask why the hell any of this is happening.

And the GLOBAL PUZZLE CONSPIRACY's name? I shit you not, POG. This is either an awesome coincidence or whoever writes this stuff has an improbable grasp on 90s American youth culture. If this show ever drops a Crazy Bones reference I'll give it a 10/10 on MAL.

Kaito also has a mysterious pager thing given to him by POG that also serves as a convenient visual aid for whatever puzzle he's solving at the moment, like pretty much every DS/WiiU game where the second screen is permanently relegated to boring map/menu/inventory duty. Kaito must be thrilled that anonymous puzzle-crazed psychopaths from anywhere in the world can just call him up at any time and be like:

"yo, come and solve my puzzle that I designed specifically around the sadistic pleasure I'll feel watching your horrifying death!

...wait, did I make that sound like an invitation? Because it's not. It's an order."

Taking POG's objectives into consideration, I'm left scratching my head as to why they're so obsessed with Kaito's potential when apparently being really really good at PUZZLES simply gives you the power to use a plothax device that essentially solves puzzles for you. I feel like this organization doesn't respect true puzzlemanship.

I suppose that I should also say something about Gammon; he's a tsundere delinquent with some impressive crazy faces and Kaito's insta-rival. He clearly has some kind of pivotal role in this ongoing series of events, but for now the only question I'm asking myself about him is whether or not he's the seme or the uke.

Theonik

Seriously, Valvrave is the gift that keeps on giving. I'm not pissed off at the cliffhangers for the cliffhanger sake. I am just sad I won't have any VVV in my life till October.

Thoraxes

Valvrave - 12

Please let the beginning
symbolize L-Elf NTR and his descendants.

I almost lost it during the
"should I go out" scene where she just makes noises and grunts. It was hilarious. Her Valvrave is pretty cool though. I like the ability.

The garden is alive.

Also this show fucking delivers in spectacle and badness. I love it.

Also the OST was pretty rockin during the
fight
scenes.

Marie is still my #bestgirl pick.

The end was
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt theeeeeeeeeeee fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

We Geass twists now. This show is awesome.

remz

Valvrave

I would really love to watch an L-Elf centric spin off where he struts around doing L-Elf type things.

PS: What is up with Rukino Saki? Her personality is all over the place.

Theonik

Valvrave
PS: What is up with Rukino Saki? Her personality is all over the place.
If you are talking about the start of the episode,
I would say that was guilt kicking in after what she's been trying to do and she was pretending to save face.

Bubblegum Crisis 1

Since people are going retro anime OVAs, I decided to hop onto the bandwagon and start Bubblegum Crisis. That opening. That retro feel. That concert. I'm liking this. Wait what the fuck?! Motorcycle into robot?!

cnet128

Banned
Yaaaaaaaaay people talking about Jojo Part 4 with the appropriate level of reverence. Best Jojo Part ever.

After reading it, I've come to the conclusion that I hate Stardust Crusaders. That arc goes on way too long, has like 3 good fights, and the worst JoJo. I mean, Polnareff is a great character, but everyone else besides maybe Iggy are just boring to watch/read. The thought of watching the OVA only to have to watch Stardust again when the David Production version comes out soundssuper unappealing.

Stardust Crusaders really does drag on a bit. I still love the Part for a number of things, not least introducing the whole Stand concept, but it does have a tendency to feel like fight...after fight...after fight...after fight. It doesn't help that they signalled from the beginning that they were going to work their way through the entire Major Arcana, and then even had the gall to throw in a few extra, non-tarot Stands at the end!

I do think most of the fights themselves are pretty good, but they pale in comparison to how creative Araki got with Stand abilities in later parts. The protagonists' Stands in particular are pretty damn uncreative in Part 3.
Magician's Red is just fire summoning, and Silver Chariot is just swordfighting. Star Platinum itself is actually pretty simple too (it's just really strong, fast and precise) but its abilities are used really nicely, and the simplicity gives it a lot of charm. And then of course it does that in the final battle.

Diamond fixes a major problem I had with Stardust, it brings back the fun.

Diamond gives you Josuke, who's the perfect mix of badass and clown. You also get a really fun group of side characters and some really great, creative villains. The fights are much better paced, there are fewer of them, and they last longer. The fights actually feel threatening. It's just so much more fun overall.

I basically agree with all of this. I think Part 4 has a lot of things going for it, and generally having more of a sense of "fun" is definitely one of them. It's great how they weave the standard Jojo crazy battles and stuff into a more laid-back, almost slice-of-life type atmosphere.

Another thing I like about Part 4 is that it's possibly the only Part in which the Stand users don't all fall into clear "hero" and "villain" roles. In Part 3, once the protagonist group is established, basically every other Stand user can be summed up as
"loyal servant of Dio"
. There's no ambiguity whatsoever. Similarly, in Part 5 the Stand users are pretty clearly divided into
"Bruno's Mafia group = the good guys" and "other Mafia who are trying to kill them"
, and in Part 6 you can divide them all into
"Jolyne's little gang" and "Whitesnake's minions"
. I guess Part 7 is a little less clear-cut, but pretty much everyone is an enemy to some extent since they're all competing in the same big race. (Also Part 7 is my least favourite part for other reasons.)

But in Part 4, you have people all over town becoming Stand users almost at random, and there's no real clear "hero" or "villain" distinction. You have a small core protagonist group, and everyone else is basically out for their own interests. Some form mini-alliances against the protagonist group or become antagonists for their own selfish reasons, some are completely neutral, some go back and forth between being helpful and harmful. Barely anyone actually allies themselves with the final Big Bad. It's just a much more unpredictable and unique setup than any of the other Parts have presented, and really does wonders for the overall characterisation.

Also in Part 4's favour is that it strikes the best balance of any Part in terms of Stand abilities. They're generally more unique and interesting than the Stands in Part 3, but also stay more down-to-earth than the convoluted and borderline-incomprehensible abilities that Parts 5 and 6 sometimes tend towards. (The only possible exception I can think of is
Bites the Dust
, which is pretty convoluted, but the arc around it was really nicely done, so I give it a free pass.)

God, David Production better do 2 parts in the next season of adaptation or I'm going to be real sad. I'm fearing that, due to Stardust's length, it'll be the only part we see next season.

Much as I love Part 4 and think it's miles better than Part 3, I don't think it's reasonable to hope for David Production to get to Part 4 in the show's next season. Stardust Crusaders needs at least two cours to be done properly, and I wouldn't want them to give it a substandard adaptation. I just hope that their Part 3 adaptation gets announced sooner rather than later, and that the wait between it and Part 4 isn't too long.

Via @WTK: Crimson Star Media, a new anime licensing & localization company, to reveal 1st anime license on Saturday

They posted four picture clues to what the title is: a blue eye, an up arrow in a circle, the fraction 1/2, and a half moon.

I hope its hunter x hunter

Φ Brain 2:

I suppose that I should also say something about Gammon; he's a tsundere delinquent with some impressive crazy faces and Kaito's insta-rival. He clearly has some kind of pivotal role in this ongoing series of events, but for now the only question I'm asking myself about him is whether or not he's the seme or the uke.

Everyones so friendly, makes me want to dig up the kaito gammon arts.

fertygo

Stardust Crusader just had so many charm, its have expedition, 80's manga joke.. the stand concept that still fresh (just like cnet said its pretty evolved and complicated later, its one of the series charm)

Its just pretty easy to like, its the most popular part for reason.. despite the problem, Araki make something that evolving the series forever but pretty accessible for both new and old fan.. Its a example of successful expansion.

I'm fine for people claim 4th is the best, as long they acknowledge the villain and Rohan for the reason :D

-Minsc-

I want to say it's Wings of Honneamise, since that's what comes to mind anyway.

But maybe that's too obvious?

No, it's not Wings of Honneamise. Thanks for the reminder though, it's one of those one my list to watch but never get around to it.

Pretty sure you're thinking of Five Numbers! It looks different than most anime because it's entirely in CG. Surprisingly it's on Hulu and no where else it seems.

It's definitely not that one. I'd take the part about wearing orange with a grain of salt, that simply may have been a person wearing one of those orange space suits. To be honest I'm not even sure my brother and I are thinking of the same movie.

cnet128

Banned
Just putting it out there, Old Joseph > Young Joseph

Can't agree with this. Young Joseph is god-tier.

I'm not too sure about that but at least either is better than Jotaro.

Not entirely sure about this either. Though Jotaro is completely stony-faced and empty as a character, that very fact gives him a charm all his own. It's kind of like "so bad it's good" - he takes the absence of character to such an extreme that it becomes great in its own right. It's like he threw out the whole idea of being a character, and just became badass personified instead. His appearance and his Stand are incredibly cool and iconic too. I do like Old Joseph, but I think I still like Jotaro better.

cajunator

Banned
I'm posting this ridiculously cute video just because: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAIGb1lfpBw

I love this video and I love you.

Bubblegum Crisis 1

Since people are going retro anime OVAs, I decided to hop onto the bandwagon and start Bubblegum Crisis. That opening. That retro feel. That concert. I'm liking this. Wait what the fuck?! Motorcycle into robot?!

Youve chosen very wisely sir.
If you havent watched Dirty Pair may want to consider that one too!

*yawn* AnimeGAF truly is the city that never sleeps... (( _ _ ))..zzzZZ

Well I certainly haven't slept!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom