• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

You don't need to worry about thread spamming, stump, this thread gets flooded with plenty of useless posts without anyone batting an eye.

We wouldn't regularly hit 3-4 threads every 4 months if we bothered with self-restraint!
Every post is an integral part of the animeGAF ecosystem. Disturbing it with silly things like restraint could risk destroying that delicate balance and in turn bring forth our doom.
Please refrain from assking this ever again!

Articalys

So somehow over in ISML this happened

JNwYE16.png

Leaving Mashiro Shiina as the only newcomer with no losses so far... then again, she hasn't faced KYH yet either... then again, Rikka's only loss so far was to Mashiro anyway, so...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Eden of the East 09 - A Man Too Ephemeral (gibberish english, not related to anything in the show)

Recap
We see a flashback where Itazu loses his one and only pair of pants(u). He cries about this.

GvxsEVZl.png

The unnamed SELECAO--Mononoke I guess is his name?--from a few episodes ago (military base SELACAO) is talking on the phone. He is following Akira. The person he's talking to is another SELACAO, the one responsible for missile attacks.

Itazu is surprised to find out the nature of the SELACAO, and reveals that he feels Japan is prone to conspiracy theories because the "power of the State is starting to wane. I have no idea if that's culturally true, and I'm also not sure that I connect the two -- conspiracy theories are definitely a product of distrust of the State, but it's not clear to be that they're connected to the State's capacity to refute them except insofar as doing a good job is an effective refutation of them.

9BhXm0ol.png

More confirmation that Akira shipped the NEET to Dubai, ensured their safety. The reason no one died in Careless Monday was because people were evacuated due to a malfunction of the Earthquake system--Akira was the one who evacuated them before #10 launched the missiles. Even given how ineffectual Japan's government and media are, I find it hard to believe that a story like this would go away.

Akira articulates his newfound philosophy again: "Becoming a NEET is a voluntary act of terrorism against the system". I think there might be a language barrier / translation issue here. I think he's trying to tap into something like "Turn On, Tune In, Drop Out". An act of civil disobedience by intentionally subverting the cultural expectations of society. I find this fairly problematic, not least because doing so requires either a social safety net or direct support from family members. So it's not like voluntary vagrancy or living an off-the-grid life, it's actively harmful to others. And although Itazu argues that it's "the ultimate in social reform", it seems more like retreatism than rebellion to me. Hmm.

The girls return and call Itazu a fatass (they hadn't seen him in years and only talked to him through the door this time). Saki is suspicious of what Itazu and Akira were doing together, but Itazu puts his bro Akira first and doesn't spill the beans.

http://i.imgur.com/jOIzUQfl.png

Mononoke and SELACAO #10--the missile launcher--are spying on the place. They intentionally run over Itazu when he leaves his house to tell Akira something, and steal back the spare SELACAO phone. Itazu dies from the injuries*. SELACAO #10 feels guilty because he's responsible for a murder, even though his grand plan is to launch more missiles at Japan and kill millions. What's the Stalin quote? "The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic"?

Osugi shows this gnarly graffiti to the rest of the crew: "I'll kill you for sure, Akira Takizara!"
http://i.imgur.com/hLRHTcVl.jpg

Review:
Well I think we have our two main antagonists for the rest of the series, which is cool, but leaves us without knowing who the bulk of the SELACAO are. Why did they launch the missiles? What's the end-game of obliterating Japan, and how will that fix the country? Two episodes left, so I assume there'll be less time wasted hanging out in static one-room sets and more time having actual stuff happen.

It looks like the first movie is on Netflix but not the second movie, so I guess I'll be watching the second movie on Hulu?

Articalys

You may know by now that both Mari Okada and P.A. Works producer Nobuhiro Kikuchi will be attending Anime Expo next weekend. What you probably didn't know -- and neither did I until I saw ultimatemegax point it out -- is that the official Japanese site for Hanasaku Iroha is saying that there will apparently be a screening of the Hanasaku Iroha Home Sweet Home movie at the convention as well.

Articalys

I just want to point out that, as usual, though he linked to the article, DTL shows extreme favoritism by once again ignoring anything about the new female character, even though her key art was in the same article.

XPlWEdR.jpg

Detective Conan 230:

He finally appears. Everyone, it's the moment you've been waiting for. Akai doesn't have that much actual material here, but he does manage to set himself up as a major character, even if it isn't immediately clear he'll become one of the most important characters in the story just yet. The whole bus jacking story is great, and we get a lot of intense scenes, as well as Conan finding himself in real jeopardy and making some big risks which don't work out for him. I like seeing Conan get outfoxed. Haibara also flips the fuck out and is pretty terrified, which always lets you know that things are getting real.

Plus, we have Vermouth, Gin and Vodka interacting. Seeing the Black Organization members on their own is pretty nice, and we start to get a hint as to what their relationships are. Vermouth trolling Gin and Vodka is amazing, and Gin is not to pleased with her actions at all. This scene is altered from the manga for censorship reasons which makes it not quite as great as it could be, but it's still a very iconic scene.

This little scene between Conan and Haibara is also quite adorable. I like how this episode had some really nice character moments like this and Jodie goofing off with Araide prior to everything getting serious.

Articalys

Oh, also, though he was the sole director on the first season and co-director along with Hirotaka Endo on the second season, the article also seems to list Junichi Sato as only being involved with series composition for the third season, with Endo as the only director.

Mature

Detective Conan 230:
Plus, we have Vermouth, Gin and Vodka interacting. Seeing the Black Organization members on their own is pretty nice, and we start to get a hint as to what their relationships are. Vermouth trolling Gin and Vodka is amazing, and Gin is not to pleased with her actions at all. This scene is altered from the manga for censorship reasons which makes it not quite as great as it could be, but it's still a very iconic scene.
Oh shoot! What could this mean? Don't tell me! I gotta buy more volumes of the manga.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I just want to point out that, as usual, though he linked to the article, DTL shows extreme favoritism by once again ignoring anything about the new female character, even though her key art was in the same article.
She looks like Karen/Kallen from Code Geass is Karen/Kallen were in an eighties rock band.

Articalys

It seems that new Crimson Star anime licensing company may not be entirely legitimate. A somewhat alarming amount of information has come to light indicating that the person running it is a former scammer, among other things.

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums...zation-company&p=189891&viewfull=1#post189891
http://www.mania.com/hoshizora-kiseki-being-scouted_article_123388.html
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=101154
http://voiceactingalliance.com/board/showthread.php?55755-Corey-Maddox-Scam-Refund-Information&

Also, the HanTsuki page is already live on their site since May.

(via @jlskun)

We'll have to see how this pans out.

Mature

It seems that new Crimson Star anime licensing company may not be entirely legitimate. A somewhat alarming amount of information has come to light indicating that the person running it is a former scammer, among other things.

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums...zation-company&p=189854&viewfull=1#post189854
http://voiceactingalliance.com/board/showthread.php?55755-Corey-Maddox-Scam-Refund-Information&

(via @jlskun)
Well that's that I guess. Too bad, as having fresh blood in anime licensing sounds like a good thing. Thanks for the round-up, Arti.

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums...zation-company&p=189891&viewfull=1#post189891

Also, the HanTsuki page is already live on their site since May.

(via @jlskun)

We'll have to see how this pans out.

Good bye MadPierrot's dream of owning whatever they hinted at.

Oh shoot! What could this mean? Don't tell me! I gotta buy more volumes of the manga.

Well, in the manga
Vermouth propositions Gin during that scene by asking him to 'make a martini' with her.
I understand why TMS cut those lines out of the scene, but it's still a shame.

Articalys

On a somewhat lighter note, Anime Limited giving a few more details on the UK release of Gurren Lagann (and poking a bit of fun at the U.S. customers who only get direct imports):
With your copy of TTGL on blu-ray, you will now get the 2 TTGL movies AND the parallel works! That's right - we're throwing in all those extras with the set! These will be split between the 2 blu-ray sets. How & what will be where, we're still waiting on licensor approval. But rest assured, you'll be getting all the goodies with your blu-ray copy of Gurren Lagann! AND it won't be $500 ;-)

Pennywise

Wow.
I just finished 110 episodes from Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu.
What an awesome journey it was, even though there were some hiccups.
Everybody with an affection for Sci-Fi and serious storylines should give it a try.

Anybody who has seen the OVAs or the movie ?
Haven't watched them yet :/

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm anticipating/dreading your inevitable Legend of the Galactic Heroes reviews, DTL.

Haly

It's all about WenglixReinhard.

Which I will henceforth abbreviate to WangHard.

Hataraku Maou-sama! - 13
I was expecting an inconclusive ending, but this was way less satisfying than I expected. Even if it seemed like an episode that could have fit in the middle of the show, I enjoyed it. Maou was one of quite a few surprises of the season for me. Despite a couple duds, it was an enjoyable fish out of water show that blended light drama and humor well with decent comedic timing and likeable characters.

Valvrave - 12
This delivered. The wait for Fall is going to become unbearable with this and a few other shows to look forward to! Boku ja nai.

Chihayafuru 2 25:
I was kind of upset that
we didn't get to see Komano and Tsukuba winning their final matches. I would have liked to see that, even if they were just short scenes.
The rest of the final episode was great.
Poor Taichi is getting friendzoned, but he seems to be willing to fight back, now.
The interactions between Chihaya and Sakurazawa have been great. You really get to understand why she's a coach who has lead her team to so many championships (
and her insight about Taichi being completely undefeated had completely passed me by
). There were a lot of fun scenes, and I was quite surprised that
Chihaya's injury wound up being something so serious, even though it seems like she's recovering well.

The very end was such a perfect way for the season to go out on, especially with
the original opening playing over scenes from the season
. If Madhouse doesn't announce Season 3, I might have to start taking hostages.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Chihayafuru 2 25:

The very end was such a perfect way for the season to go out on, especially with
the original opening playing over scenes from the season
. If Madhouse doesn't announce Season 3, I might have to start taking hostages.

It'll have to be a while. There isn't enough material to do another season. Although funny enough, it's the first time that we actually see Chihaya do
something other than play the damn card game

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wow.
I just finished 110 episodes from Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu.
What an awesome journey it was, even though there were some hiccups.
Everybody with an affection for Sci-Fi and serious storylines should give it a try.

Anybody who has seen the OVAs or the movie ?
Haven't watched them yet :/
The first battle with the billion starships pew pewing at each other was just too ridiculous for me. lol
Something about the scale just seems off... especially since in three dimensional space, the idea of giant space navies smashing into each other like that sort of doesn't make any sense.

Haly

The first battle with the billion starships pew pewing at each other was just too ridiculous for me. lol
Something about the scale just seems off... especially since in three dimensional space, the idea of giant space navies smashing into each other like that sort of doesn't make any sense.

I complained about this so much and Jexhius was like ACCEPT IT and I was like nooooo.

But then I learned to stop caring about shoddy space battles and enjoy the thinly veiled WWI/WWII allegory.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It's okay, you get plenty of 3D with the valkyries or whatever the fuck those little fighter pilots are called.

Pein

Banned
so what were the best shows of the year so far? I only watched attack on titan, oreimo 2, railgun. Any genre is fine.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
so what were the best shows of the year so far? I only watched attack on titan, oreimo 2, railgun. Any genre is fine.
Aku No Hana and GargantIa for tv shows.

I recommend also checking out Little Witch Academia (it's a 25 min special kind of thing) and Wolf Children Ame and Yuki (movie by the director of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time).

Articalys

That's it, I've completely cracked mentally. I'm done with everything about this fandom. If you need more details ask cajun; I don't care how much he tells you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom