• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
K -ON! - 6

Wow, talk about determined. Mio is so desperate to practice she'll walk right into her worst fear to find her friend working inside there.

Oh yeah, nice job teacher. Have the band consist of a maid, a nurse, and a swimmer. Right now, she's a mix between Sanae, Samus, and Mirajane from Fairy Tail. What else can be added to the mix?

The concert scene was really well done. The build up was great. I can't remember a time when I actually felt nervous before an on-screen concert. I kept saying to myself; "Don't screw this up, don't screw this up."

And then that music video shows up. Wut? The hell am I watching here? Cops, western, bandits? I'd much rather see the girls performing on stage for the first time than watch... that. The song was all right though.

I gotta say, since I'm watching the dub, it's slightly distracting to hear these girls speak English only for them to suddenly start singing in Japanese. The dubbers were probably scared of screwing up the song, so they just threw up their hands and just had them sing the Japanese version.

All in all, another pretty good episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Rie Kugimiya is finally voicing a Precure!
She is voicing Cure Ace in DokiDoki Precure; that's right, Toei actually managed to troll the audience by making Cure Ace an all-new character instead of Ange or Regina.

WAAAAAAAT

Anybody here reading the Chihayafuru manga? The hell happens next. I'm too lazy to try and catch up.

SpoilerZ of course.

Chihaya and Taichi go to the camp and play matches against each other. Nothing happens despite the fact that they're alone together. :p

Then they go to the fall tournament where they see Arata. He gets eliminated early and Chihaya and Taichi face each other in the final. Chihaya wins.
There's a bit of reality that seeps in here inasmuch her current teacher and the teacher from the other school talk about Chihaya's future and whether or not she has the ability to make a living playing karuta. It doesn't matter because Chihaya declares that she wants to become a teacher.

By winning the Fall tournament, people think she has the chance to move on to win the regional tournament for the chance to face the Queen.

However, the regional tournament takes place the same day as the school field trip. Chihaya considers skipping the school trip but realizes that in order to become a teacher, she needs to actually participate at school.

On the day of the trip, it turns out Taichi actually did skip the trip and went to the tournament himself. At first Chihaya feels betrayed but then she realizes that, moving onto his third year, he will not be allowed to have a hobby any more. Chihaya still feels bummed, however, is hates the fact that she's on the trip instead of at the tournament. At some point, one of her friends (YES, A FRIEND NOT IN THE CLUB!!!) confronts her about her attitude and Chihaya realizes that being a karuta obsessed freak is a downer. She gives her phone to her friend and decides to actually have fun doing something other than playing karuta and you get a montage of her trip.

Meanwhile, at the tournament, Taichi is forced to play Harada, the teacher than trains both him and Chihaya in their society. Taichi loses and their teacher ends up being the Western representative for Japan.

Arata is also at the tournament and actually wins! He becomes the Eastern representative for Japan, and so he will face off against Harada for the right to face the Meijin.

Chihaya basically learns that the match will be Harada vs Arata and gets pumped up inasmuch as this is the only way she will be able to "play him" in a match until they actually play together.

Also, of course, this gives them an out because presumably Arata will become Meijin, while in the following year, Chihaya will finally be able to face the Queen and presumably win. Given that it's her third year of high school, and assuming the book will end when they graduate, that's basically the only outcome that makes sense.

Oh, and of course, zero romance. lol

That's the bullet points anyway. :p

Theonik

Rose of the Versailles 02
iLDQTvkOYIWwW.png
i8iFHTeaD75bt.png
ibdRTCTHMciLps.png

:SDBurton
Oscar looks awesome in that uniform. Also dat :dezaki Enjoying the fights so far too.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Toradora! 17

We get a Minorin arc? Sweet.

New OP? It's okay. I wonder what the new ED will be.

Don't let all this power go to your head, Taiga.

...wtf is up with you, Minorin?

what the fuck is wrong with all of you

WTF IS THIS SHIT ON MY SCREEN

It's more than just
fucking up the game,
something weird is going on with Minorin.

Well this has becoming for awhile and we all say it coming, but shit is gonna get fun.

ED is just kinda okay too.

DokiDoki Precure

Guys Guys, lets think about it
Looking at art of Cure Ace, she's the same height as everyone else. Clearly It's not Ange.... It'll be a younger version of Ange!

K -ON! - 6

Wow, talk about determined. Mio is so desperate to practice she'll walk right into her worst fear to find her friend working inside there.

Oh yeah, nice job teacher. Have the band consist of a maid, a nurse, and a swimmer. Right now, she's a mix between Sanae, Samus, and Mirajane from Fairy Tail. What else can be added to the mix?

The concert scene was really well done. The build up was great. I can't remember a time when I actually felt nervous before an on-screen concert. I kept saying to myself; "Don't screw this up, don't screw this up."

And then that music video shows up. Wut? The hell am I watching here? Cops, western, bandits? I'd much rather see the girls performing on stage for the first time than watch... that. The song was all right though.

I gotta say, since I'm watching the dub, it's slightly distracting to hear these girls speak English only for them to suddenly start singing in Japanese. The dubbers were probably scared of screwing up the song, so they just threw up their hands and just had them sing the Japanese version.

All in all, another pretty good episode.

Mio just wants to practice before the concert!

Yeah, Sawa-chan is a bit of a perv. It's a bit more pronounced in the manga.

Yeah, the tension they build up is what KyoAni does best.

The music video is a little odd I guess, but I liked it. They'll show the an actual performance later in the show. You better like that song, as it will be the song they play the most.

I really don't know why they though leaving the songs in Japanese was a good idea. They even have special features with the first season discs with the dub voices singing the songs in English, but for some reason they didn't put them in the show. Though I guess they were trying their best to weeaboo the script as much as possible, something I hate about it. And that's the original audio for the music, not the dubbers singing in Japanese.

Yes, it's one of my favorites in the first season.

Nafe

DokiDoki Precure

Guys Guys, lets think about it
Looking at art of Cure Ace, she's the same height as everyone else. Clearly It's not Ange.... It'll be a younger version of Ange!

Cure Ace is obviously Sebastian in his PreCure form! Haha.

Tenumi

Banned
Being Tenumi is suffering.

Actually, it kinda is, as far as entertainment goes. With the weird super power of enjoying almost everything I watch, its kinda weird and depressing to see things I enjoy run down. Eh, I enjoy what I enjoy, and that won't stop me.

And now I witness Rohan's little arc.

WELL!
WELL!

Man... really going all out with the "you're not sure if they're good or bad" angle.

Now then...

CorvoSol

Today I found out that there was a cross over between Slayers and Sorcerous Stabber Orphen.

Some long forgotten part of my childhood cries out to know more.

cnet128

Banned
Valvrave 12 END...until Autumn

FUCK YEAH BOKU JA NAI. I missed that song so much.

As for what actually happened in the episode...yeah. This is Geasstastic all right. No idea what the fuck is going on with that dude. At least Akira is awesome. That was the least subtle method of
"hacking"
I have ever seen, lol.

Theonik

Valvrave 12 END...until Autumn

FUCK YEAH BOKU JA NAI. I missed that song so much.

As for what actually happened in the episode...yeah. This is Geasstastic all right. No idea what the fuck is going on with that dude. At least Akira is awesome. That was the least subtle method of
"hacking"
I have ever seen, lol.
Am I the only one that got huge Card Captor Sakura vibes from VVV06?

That is your cue to get it!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Rie Kugimiya is finally voicing a Precure!
She is voicing Cure Ace in DokiDoki Precure; that's right, Toei actually managed to troll the audience by making Cure Ace an all-new character instead of Ange or Regina.

bahahahahaha. And she's not even (FUTURE DOKI SPOILZ)
Cutie Madam
? TRAINWREEEEEEEECK

Although granted, the above could also
be either Ai/Ange or Regina

[Fresh Precure!] 22

Rie Matsumoto orz orz

This episode was tits.

This might be my favorite episode not just in the season, but the entire franchise.

CorvoSol

Slayers TRY 21

Gourry asks partway through this episode, "Who are the real bad guys here?" and its a question that resonates pretty well. All season we've seen that The Gods kinda suck, what with God's personal representative, Lina's Big Sis, blowing off this entire mission, the Golden Dragons willingly offering Gourry's sword if it will get Almayce off their property,
Valgaav's accusation that Golden Dragons slaughtered the Ancient Dragon race
and Fillia's vicious, racist treatment of Xellos, calling him "garbage".

Fillia's character has of course been developing since that point, with more than just a little romantic subtext with two Monsters and her eye-opening trip around the world with Lina and company. Today, deep in the territory of her own tribe, at the end of the hunt for the last weapon, and on the run from Gods, granted they're jerkass Gods from another world who don't care about this one that much, Filia comes to a temple.

The temple is of course
a graveyard of the Ancient Dragons, who lay at her feet the sins of the entire Golden Dragon race, showing her the genocide her people carried out and covered up, causing the poor girl to have something of a breakdown. As Xellos shows up to gloat and triple cross the team, Filia's own suffering is broken down further by an army of Golden Dragons arriving, the once grandfatherly Supreme Elder of the Golden Dragons revealing, if not with words then by actions, that the entire point of sending Filia on this quest was not to save the world, but to have her find and open the way to the last Dark Star Weapon, which the Ancient Dragons were slaughtered for defending.

This isn't to say that Monsters are good guys, as Lina's pointed out that Xellos, for cheery as he acts, is still expected to triple cross her at times, because he's a Monster. And last season we saw just why the Monsters are evil. They're in a bit of a disarray, though, since Lina's killed 1/7th of their God and also been more or less directly involved in the murder of two of their Kings. However, there have been some surprisingly kind moments for Monsters and Beastmen alike in this season.
Namely from Gaav, who last season beat up Amelia, and this season was shown taking in the dying Valgaav. And then in turn Valgaav, who saved Gravos and Jillas after humanity had slaughtered their villages. And bonus points to Jillas for his incredibly humanizing moment with young Palu, punctuated by Jillas' thought: "There are no evil humans here to hurt us."

Slayers TRY isn't AOT ever by any means, but it IS doing a fair job of turning last season's status quo on its head. Still can't wait to see Sylphiel shoe horned into the end of this season.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Toradora! 18

Ryuuji, you poor piece of shit. What are you gonna do, huh?

Man what is up with Minorin?

Cute Taiga is cute.

OH SHIT MINORIN

This is getting fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom