• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chronoexe

Yeah, all the Chu-2 doujins were pretty lame. I'd like to think Tamako Market would fair better, but considering the show flopped, I don't hold much hope for too many of them...

heeeeeey at least I found 2 good Kumin-sempai doujins,
the NibuxDog is decent?

If we even get one yuri doujin of Tamako Market I'll be happy.

Precure will be my salvation.

There is hundreds of Precure yuri doujins, and I just discovered 2 by Inazuma in my collection. O_O

I prefer J-dramas

image.php

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's okay, you get plenty of 3D with the valkyries or whatever the fuck those little fighter pilots are called.
What are the point of fighters when you have a billion ships that engage each other in a straight line? :p

I complained about this so much and Jexhius was like ACCEPT IT and I was like nooooo.

But then I learned to stop caring about shoddy space battles and enjoy the thinly veiled WWI/WWII allegory.
Maybe that's the only way to watch it. Except Yamato is basically a fucking WW2 battleship in space.

I probably just made the mistake of watching Titania first. lol

---

Chihayafuru fin
ShpoOnbl.jpg

Yet another example of my pet peeve with anime and why, despite some of its inherent advantages, it will always look cheap compared to (western) live action series. I know it makes no sense to re-animate the match so that it actually looks like footage taken from a handycam from the sidelines, but that doesn't stop me from thinking of how cheap it looks.
It's like the Japanese-English in Space Brothers.

Anyway, I figured that they would have stretched it out and ended it much earlier with an anime original scene. I suppose ending the episode where they did hints to a continuation, but as a finale it's just a really flat ending that limps to the finish line. S1 at least had a callback to the first episode when it ended, so you had that narrative full-circle loop at least. Like, even that tag after the credits felt like a marathon running collapsing after finishing the race rather than Usain Bolt dancing around after setting a world record.

It almost makes me believe that they'd be willing to go straight into a 13 episode season relatively soon, but it's not like they'd have a good place to end if they did that as well.

Ah well, although I despised this season at times, at least I got a couple of new tracks out of the composer so I'm happy enough I suppose. I still wish that anime directors had as much balls as live action directors and wrote stories that served THEIR version of the text rather than slavishly adapt a work. These people have to want to be more than just manga advertising machines, don't they?

It makes me even more surprised that something as brilliant as School Days can exist, considering how adaptations usually turn out. DeSu2's mealy-mouthed ending is probably the perfect example of tossing out any originality or creative spark in lieu of being a marketing device. Yeesh.

Dresden

I still wish that anime directors had as much balls as live action directors and wrote stories that served THEIR version of the text rather than slavishly adapt a work. These people have to want to be more than just manga advertising machines, don't they?
When nearly the entire purpose of the anime is to be an advertisement for the manga, the director may not have much of a choice.

heeeeeey at least I found 2 good Kumin-sempai doujins,
the NibuxDog is decent?

Yeah, there's a few good ones, but too many are just the normal vanilla pairing and they're really not my cup of tea to begin with.
I seem to remember it being well drawn, or I'm thinking of a different doujin...

That's it, I've completely cracked mentally. I'm done with everything about this fandom. If you need more details ask cajun; I don't care how much he tells you.

I'm telling you, dude, you don't need to try and justify your existence by posting news stories. If it makes you happy, do it when you can, but you've already brought a ton to this community and I think you're a pretty vital part of it.

Though really, I would recommend getting help in general. Therapy is awesome even when you aren't mentally unstable. I always get a bit less depressed after seeing my psychiatrist.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It's like...I was expecting a little bit of fanservice, because it's just inevitable. But THAT? Holy fuck. That's just...damn. Too much. Toooooo much.

I honestly thought until now that the show was just going with some kind of stylized quasi-chibi look like Tanken Driland.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm telling you, dude, you don't need to try and justify your existence by posting news stories. If it makes you happy, do it when you can, but you've already brought a ton to this community and I think you're a pretty vital part of it.

Though really, I would recommend getting help in general. Therapy is awesome even when you aren't mentally unstable. I always get a bit less depressed after seeing my psychiatrist.

Note to self. Don't see a psychiatrist. =/

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The best sakuga the show will ever offer with its meager budget!
Heh, I suppose when you're basically hacking an anime together, that's probably true.

You just had to add "western" didn't you :(
Haha. The problem is that Asian dramas look cheap for other reasons. :p

When nearly the entire purpose of the anime is to be an advertisement for the manga, the director may not have much of a choice.
I wonder if someone got fired for School Days then, because it took the entire premise and fucked over anyone who cared about the VN as a harem.
Unless it was going for one of those "OMGWTFBBQ I need to play the game" marketing gimmicks I suppose.

And like I said, jdrama adaptations aren't really afraid of alienating the license holder. The Yankee-kun to Megane-Chan fucking ends in pretty much the most definitive way possible, even though - and I haven't checked in ages so I could be wrong about this- the manga seems to be still teasing the inevitable reveal after almost 200 chapters.

Maybe jdrama directors just get more respect because it's "real tv" and not "3am ghetto tv".

cajunator

Banned
9UY3Ba4.png

how can you say no?

I....cant ;_; *hugs the little roachie

Regarding Sentai and Kokoro Connect

Hence why the current set is explicitly named the "TV Collection", I guess.

Fuxxor. Always a catch. I guess I will wait. Or double dip. Man I hate this kind of ambiguous release plan.

Every post is an integral part of the animeGAF ecosystem. Disturbing it with silly things like restraint could risk destroying that delicate balance and in turn bring forth our doom.
Please refrain from assking this ever again!

This is true. And please do keep up with these puns. Love them.

So somehow over in ISML this happened

JNwYE16.png

Leaving Mashiro Shiina as the only newcomer with no losses so far... then again, she hasn't faced KYH yet either... then again, Rikka's only loss so far was to Mashiro anyway, so...

Son of a bitch. KYH lost :( But well..it was to Rikka...so its OK.

I just want to point out that, as usual, though he linked to the article, DTL shows extreme favoritism by once again ignoring anything about the new female character, even though her key art was in the same article.

XPlWEdR.jpg

Shes a cutie with her out of control hair.

It seems that new Crimson Star anime licensing company may not be entirely legitimate. A somewhat alarming amount of information has come to light indicating that the person running it is a former scammer, among other things.

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums...zation-company&p=189891&viewfull=1#post189891
http://www.mania.com/hoshizora-kiseki-being-scouted_article_123388.html
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=101154
http://voiceactingalliance.com/board/showthread.php?55755-Corey-Maddox-Scam-Refund-Information&

Also, the HanTsuki page is already live on their site since May.

(via @jlskun)

We'll have to see how this pans out.

Hmm...that kinda sucks but its not a show I couldnt live without either.

so what were the best shows of the year so far? I only watched attack on titan, oreimo 2, railgun. Any genre is fine.

Gargantia, Henneko, Hataraku Maou Sama

Aniplex USA and Crunchyroll got Day Break Illusion. ( il sole penetra le illusioni)

Hmm...lolis...but an interesting art style. conflicted.

Andrew J.

I wonder if someone got fired for School Days then, because it took the entire premise and fucked over anyone who cared about the VN as a harem.

The violent bad ends are the only reasons anyone has ever cared about the School Days VN. The anime was faithfully catering to its fans, trust me.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So somehow over in ISML this happened

JNwYE16.png

Leaving Mashiro Shiina as the only newcomer with no losses so far... then again, she hasn't faced KYH yet either... then again, Rikka's only loss so far was to Mashiro anyway, so...

Fucking dammit. I don't want to live on this world anymore.

Tenumi

Banned
Oh goddamnit, that scene at 0:15. I was really, REALLY hoping this wouldn't be lolibait. Ah well.

yeah, fuck.

I still really want to give this the benefit of the doubt, but with stuff like that...

It's like...I was expecting a little bit of fanservice, because it's just inevitable. But THAT? Holy fuck. That's just...damn. Too much. Toooooo much.

There must be something wrong with me as the scene came and passed I had... absolutely no reaction at all. Still gonna watch the show, but hey, if people chose not to watch it based on that, more power to them. I can completely understand that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
how many space shows are there take advantage of full 3d movement and aren't just planes in space dueling?
The most famous example is of course Wrath of Khan.

Yamato does, but it almost doesn't matter since the battles are one vs several thousand... at that point, there are just enemy targets everywhere.

cnet128

Banned
Futari wa Precure Splash Star 30

(I actually watched this episode yesterday evening, but I fell asleep on the sofa before posting impressions again...ugh. I should probably get more sleep or something.)

Well, I praised Gohyarn on his effective villainy last episode (it might have looked to the untrained eye as though I considered his plan inferior to Mizu Shitatare's, but this was actually a very subtle form of irony! Shocking, I know!) but there was one thing he didn't take into consideration: the fact that the laws of the universe forbid the Cures from ever remaining untransformed for an entire episode. By stealing their mascots and even draining them of all their powers to ensure the Cures couldn't transform, all he was really ensuring was that the Cures would find some new method of transforming. And new transformations automatically mean it's power-up time!

So after finding their way into Gohyarn's lair with a little help from Mizu Shitatare (it's gotta suck being a villain, you've got to fight one another as well as the heroes!) and after infusing Flappy and Choppy with spiritual power from Moop and Foop (giving them shiny new cellphone forms in the process), Saki and Mai are able to perform an all-new transformation sequence, turning them into Cure Bright and Cure Windy!

It seems like a pretty decent upgrade, too - both Cures are now able to use some new and interesting individual magic abilities. Mai gets to fire streams of wind, and Saki gets to release bursts of blinding light. Makes sense. But the real power of this upgrade is revealed when they equip their magic accessories (which have also been shiny-and-new-ified - they're now stars instead of hearts!) With her bracelet equipped, Mai's stream of wind becomes a veritable torrent, and with her belt equipped, Saki gets to shoot freaking laser bullets. APPROVED.

Oh, and of course their finisher is upgraded as well. Now they shoot PRECURE SPIRAL STAR SPLASH. Which is basically like every other finisher ever. Except stronger, of course. Strong enough to, say, blow apart Gohyarn's entire lair. Not bad, not bad.

So in the end the mascots are saved and it's all shiny happy wonderful time. Except the Cures' summer homework. They still haven't finished that. C'mon guys, get your act together! You're not real magical girls until you can balance world-threatening crises with homework!

The most famous example is of course Wrath of Khan.

Yamato does, but it almost doesn't matter since the battles are one vs several thousand... at that point, there are just enemy targets everywhere.

But even with Star Trek, the ship designs seem to favor combat on the same plane.

A spaceship should have zero weak spots. Everything should be a giant ball with guns pointed at all directions :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But even with Star Trek, the ship designs seem to favor combat on the same plane.
That's only because it's really only in the movies where the ships fight. In the show, the ships are supposed to be science vessels.

That said, even in the TNG finale, you have a ship blow up a Klingon ship from "beneath" it.

A spaceship should have zero weak spots. Everything should be a giant ball with guns pointed at all directions :D
They never could work out that Death Star design, could they?
I know right?
Anime of the generation.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pedo Soldier Sailor Moon SuperS] 135
Wait, so if the Amazon Trio forcefully looking into a girl's dreams is supposed to evoke images of sexual assault then what does that mean about Chibiusa letting Pegasus inside her dr--
._____________________________________________________________________.

Theonik

That's it, I've completely cracked mentally. I'm done with everything about this fandom. If you need more details ask cajun; I don't care how much he tells you.
I don't know what finally set you off, but I hope taking some time off helps cool you down a bit. You're hurting yourself mostly.

Valverave 12 END Part 1

I don't....

I can't...

I just...

http://i.imgur.com/Uc9lzmy.jpg?1
I died when that happened. This is one of the most hilarious reasons for heroic aid ever.

This is true. And please do keep up with these puns. Love them.
People are starting to feel pretty bummed about them so I will refrain.

The School Days VN was infamous at that point for its troll bad ends, so taking that route is a very reasonable marketing approach. They probably figured out that was what sold people on it too.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
There must be something wrong with me as the scene came and passed I had... absolutely no reaction at all. Still gonna watch the show, but hey, if people chose not to watch it based on that, more power to them. I can completely understand that.

I'm gonna give it a couple episodes, anyway. I'm just gonna hope that one scene was one of those "put it in just so we can put it in the trailer because reasons". Still though, man, that scene. Just so blatant. :lol

[Pedo Soldier Sailor Moon SuperS] 135

Wait, so if the Amazon Trio forcefully looking into a girl's dreams is supposed to evoke images of sexual assault then what does that mean about Chibiusa letting Pegasus inside her dr--

._____________________________________________________________________.

Jacknodding right now to this.

What happened Toei :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom