• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Chihayafuru 2.25 - and thats it. A pretty nice ender for the season to my favourite show. Now I guess comes the long wait to see if we get lucky again and it gets renewed again.

Does anyone read the manga?

I'm wondering if I want to continue from here in the manga where I should start.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
This might be my favorite episode not just in the season, but the entire franchise.
I don't know about that. Not even Rie Matsumoto could hide the Toeiness at times. Those last five minutes with Eas and Love are wonderful, but the rest still suffers from being part of Fresh Precure!.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Toradora! 18

Ryuuji, you poor piece of shit. What are you gonna do, huh?

Man what is up with Minorin?

Cute Taiga is cute.

OH SHIT MINORIN

This is getting fun

Oh man you're so close. I can't wait to read your impressions of the last couple episodes.

I really do think that reading Toradora impressions is one of my favorite things in AnimeGAF.

cnet128

Banned
Chihayafuru2 25 END

A nice episode to wind down after the big tournament, deal with the immediate issue of Chihaya's injury, and see all the characters looking forward to new developments and new challenges ahead. There were a lot of good moments in this episode. All in all, I think this was a pretty satisfying way to end the season.

And by that I mean season three when.

Tenumi

Banned
I feel a little bit guilty about dropping Chihayafuru (Season 1). I think it is a great show... I just didn't really have much interest in watching it.

Yes, I'm weird.

CorvoSol

Just thought I'd say that any episode that gives me Master Asia and Rain Mikamura piloting a Gundam is by law a good episode and no science can refute that.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I don't know about that. Not even Rie Matsumoto could hide the Toeiness at times. Those last five minutes with Eas and Love are wonderful, but the rest still suffers from being part of Fresh Precure!.

They're five pretty damned good minutes. Then again, I'm broken and like pretty much everything that's weird about Fresh anyway, so I don't even trust my own judgment on this. I think that it handles the POWER of FRIENDSHIP in a much less trite and vapid manner than other seasons, at least, and this episode is basically the culmination of that.

They're five pretty damned good minutes. Then again, I'm broken and like pretty much everything that's weird about Fresh anyway, so I don't even trust my own judgment on this. I think that it handles the POWER of FRIENDSHIP in a much less trite and vapid manner than other seasons, at least, and this episode is basically the culmination of that.

Kinda reminds me, I like how
they were actually exhausted from Dancing and Precuring, and they ended up in a fucking hospital at the end.

Narag

I liked Fresh and can't even be be bothered to watch other Precures. I think it did all right.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I liked Fresh and can't even be be bothered to watch other Precures. I think it did all right.

Man, I've stiffed you on the endgame for like a year now, haven't I? If only I had a device that could still handle simul-watching :(

Hattori

Banned
Death Devil Ritsu <3

Nice drawing (>.<)b

SNAFU 13:

Yahari13_zps0e63b25c.jpg

Best girl.

Agreed.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'll probably get to it myself next month. Think July is going to be used to tie up some loose ends. I know everyone wants more The Sacred Blacksmith impressions.

Don't forget the other 162 episodes of Inuyasha from that death pact!

Speaking of which... you have yet to get on the Koihime Musou train. ;3;

I tried, man. I tried so hard. But every minute of that show is like an hour to me when the girls aren't fondling each other or making their servants lick the sweat off of their bodies. Someday.

Tenumi

Banned
Well, yes, but Casshern Sins is boring.

Devour Casshern!
Gaw, that was hilariously campy watching that on Toonami.

I have all of Dragonball, Dragonball Z, and Dragonball GT on DVD. I should get around to watching them in full sometime. I started like a year ago and got to... Episode 19 of Dragonball.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Valvrave the Liberator 12:

HOW IN FUCK AM I GOING TO GO TWELVE WEEKS WITHOUT MORE OF THIS

AND THEN AFTER THAT, HOW IN FUCK AM I GOING TO GO THE REST OF MY LIFE WITHOUT THIS

BOKU JANAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiii

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Casshern Sins aka a bazillion episodes of woe is me Casshan for I killed Luna NO BLARGH I KILL YOU CASSHAN NOW and then something cute happens for an episode before he goes back to square one.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I tried, man. I tried so hard. But every minute of that show is like an hour to me when the girls aren't fondling each other or making their servants lick the sweat off of their bodies. Someday.

While I understand your reasoning, it doesn't lessen the pain that I feel in my heart.

Nafe

Oh yeah, Mad Pierrot, about Super Sentai and the follow up episode in kyoryuger...
King realized he needed to become weaker to become stronger. To do this he had to come to realize something he was afraid of. It turns out it was just the old power of friendship thing where he's afraid to lose his teammates and thus gets a power boost in order to protect them and defeats the monster.

I don't really take it too seriously though because just like PreCure the show is aimed more towards kids. Even in their commercials for the different toys there's a little note or disclaimer in the corner of the screen that they're intended for children, haha.

I can't recall, have you seen or are watching Akibaranger? If not then I'd recommend that show. It's pretty funny in how it kind of pokes fun at the different tropes that have appeared over the years. Even Mahou Shoujo shows share some similarities so you can still appreciate the jokes without even having seen any Sentai. The show has it's own anime within a show called Aoi-tan and there's other anime related things such as the one girl cosplays and her suit has twintails and such. Maaya Uchida even actually stars in the show as the character Hakase. I think you might enjoy it anyway.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Le Chevalier D'Eon 5

It's Easter and the crew is continuing their covert operations on the spy/fur-dealer Vorontsov. They've got growing concerns as
to what he's doing trying to dump his load of furs so far out of season and in such a rush
, so the group is planning to snag him when he makes a mistake. It won't be easy, Vorontsov isn't stupid.

The King taking matters into his own hands? Did I interpret that right?

Okay I think it's really plausible that
the Duke of Orleans is totally gonna get double crossed by his religious stooge. I wouldn't fucking trust that guy but I wonder what the Duke's reasons are.

whoa so
even Vorontsov knows Lia
. Give his thanks? What does he mean by that?

Wait Le Secret du Roi has
a traitor in their midst? Fascinating. I wonder who it is. I'm pretty sure it's none of out Musketeers (at the very least it can't be Telligory or D'Eon. Robin seems unlikely and Durand seems to be a Zelos-like backstabber but hasn't really shown any major signs of betrayal. Someone else we haven't met in the network yet?

Damn, the King's got some fucking balls, son.

Ah so is this unnamed Frenchmen reading Dante's Inferno our
Traitor in Le Secret du Roi
?

Oh man you're so close. I can't wait to read your impressions of the last couple episodes.

I really do think that reading Toradora impressions is one of my favorite things in AnimeGAF.

It should be fun. Side-note: I plan to watch the OVA too. Are the SOS clips worth the time?

Tenumi

Banned
I can't recall, have you seen or are watching Akibaranger? If not then I'd recommend that show. It's pretty funny in how it kind of pokes fun at the different tropes that have appeared over the years. Even Mahou Shoujo shows share some similarities so you can still appreciate the jokes without even having seen any Sentai. The show has it's own anime within a show called Aoi-tan and there's other anime related things such as the one girl cosplays and her suit has twintails and such. Maaya Uchida even actually stars in the show as the character Hakase. I think you might enjoy it anyway.

Hmm, I wonder what other rolls she's been in...

Wait, Hakase is Rikka Takanashi!? Somebody needs to hit Hakase in the head several times... for the cuteness.

CorvoSol

Revolutionary Girl Wakaba 19

HELL YEAH WAKABA IN PRINCESS GEAR. GET OUT UTENA. GET OUT NANAMI. GET OUT ANTHY. WAKABAAAAAAA IN DA HOOOOOUSE.

Wakaba is only the most normal girl you know because you hang out with fucking lunatics, Utena. You're definitely right that she is waifu material, though. AAAAW YISS DA UNYUN PRINCE. Arc has upgraded from Onion Kid to Onion Knight to Onion Prince. That or Davos' son got into this school on Stannis' recommendation. Don't take it the wrong way, Onion Knight.
Ten bucks says that calling this kid a Prince just gave Utena a lady boner for him. She doesn't like boys unless someone calls them a Prince.
"You aren't Utena's type" is code for "You're not a girl", Onion Kid. HOLY SHIT MIKI JUST ETHERD NANAMI. Freaking "Your desires are met by an elementary school kid." BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM. Headshot. Oh geez, Utena, you are the most unsubtle matchmaker of all time, you know that? Girl, you need to stay out of other peoples' p-biz.

I was actually expecting that Wakaba
would be this episode's duelist. I'm sort of glad she isn't, though, because it is nice to see that she and Chu Chu more or less remain the innocent, untouchable core so far. That said, that Wakaba was involved in this episode's seriousness means things are starting to ramp up.

Holy crap!
Cast in the Name of God, Ye Not Guilty, huh? I wasn't expecting this guy to throw out the Onion Prince for being a good human being. That's . . . got some interesting ramifications for the other people in this show.

OH WHAT THE FUCK. REALLY? WHY IS THAT RAT BASTARD
SAIONJI
WITH THE BEST GIRL IN THE SHOW? THE FUCK!! IS THERE NO JUSTICE?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'd watch it, haha.

Even the baddies!

Actually, a Kumojacky type character voiced by Yuu Kobayashi could be neat to see.
She should just be all the characters at that point. lol

[Chihayafuru 2] whatever episode number we are on I don't care anymore

Fuck this stupid show.
lol

Chihayafuru 2.25 - and thats it. A pretty nice ender for the season to my favourite show. Now I guess comes the long wait to see if we get lucky again and it gets renewed again.

Does anyone read the manga?

I'm wondering if I want to continue from here in the manga where I should start.
The manga ends at around the 90s. I can't remember the chapter numbers.

I summarized what happens up until the latest chapter though. On the one hand, nothing happens, on the other hand, it probably features the most character development since the first volume/first four episodes of the anime.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
While I understand your reasoning, it doesn't lessen the pain that I feel in my heart.

If only it were sengoku girls instead of RotTK girls.

Oh yeah, Mad Pierrot, about Super Sentai and the follow up episode in kyoryuger...
King realized he needed to become weaker to become stronger. To do this he had to come to realize something he was afraid of. It turns out it was just the old power of friendship thing where he's afraid to lose his teammates and thus gets a power boost in order to protect them and defeats the monster.

I don't really take it too seriously though because just like PreCure the show is aimed more towards kids. Even in their commercials for the different toys there's a little note or disclaimer in the corner of the screen that they're intended for children, haha.

Oh man, that spoiler. Those sure are some novel and daring themes for Japanese entertainment.

Akibaranger's on my radar, but I really don't like my first exposure to any genre to be parody. It's bad to condition oneself to be unable to take seriously anything that plays itself straight.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It should be fun. Side-note: I plan to watch the OVA too. Are the SOS clips worth the time?

The OVA is just an unaired episode from the latter half (I think) of the series. It's really not all that great. Has zero bearing on the plot or anything. But it's okay.

The SOS stuff is...fun, I guess. Might as well watch them.

trejo

Ghost in the Shell Arise: Ghost Pain

In many ways this feels like Section 9: The High School Years and the whole way through I kept asking myself why should I bother watching this knowing there are much superior incarnations of these characters already out there. I also don't know why its necessary to show the major waltzing around in her underwear at nearly every opportunity but I get the feeling we have good ol' Tow Ubukata to thank for that one. Visually, it had some nice action choreography here and there but there's not much that stands out to me on more than a superficial level. And I'll say it once again: The major's new design sucks ass.

Maaya I can deal with but nearly every other voice actor seems to have changed for the worse and Batou's replacement in particular sticks out the most to me as the most detrimental. Miyukichi's inclusion, on the other hand, was a pleasant surprise to me and she does a good job of making her character as moe as it damn well should be.

But surprisingly the biggest disappointment out of this whole thing to me by far is the soundtrack. Every track just felt incredibly lazy and uninspired and pretty much none of them stood out to me in any meaningful way. I haven't checked yet to see if Kanno was on duty again, which I doubt, but if it was indeed her then my god did she steal from some very lackluster artists this time around. So sad.

Basically, not a fan of this new take on the franchise. Will keep watching regardless because fuck knows why.

cnet128

Banned
Katanagatari 12 END

Oh my God this episode.

I think...I think it just redefined badass.

Sorry Jotaro, you can no longer lay claim to the title of "badass incarnate" because it now belongs to Shichika forever.

TOGAMEEEEEEEEEEEE T____________________T

firehawk12

Subete no aware
PapaKiki OVA
vEgELM5l.jpg

Lewdest

ArkeKh9l.jpg

Lewd

zONJaQVl.jpg

Moe

You know, for a franchise with like a billion manga spinoffs, I kind of figured that was how it would be tiered. You basically get all the stages of
Usagi Drop
here. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom