• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valvrave the Liberator Episode 12 The Heretic Activates
tumblr_mp4t30WGvl1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Although I think the episode could have been extended beyond just the standard length or even split into two (seemed at least two scenes could have had more time dedicated to them than just brief snippets of what happened
Magus scene and L-elf/A-drei
) it was a memorable and interesting ending. Was rather impressed with how they went against expectations too
no massive death count there, and survivors on both sides for the Dorssia Military Pact Federation affiliated members, and that ending tease too showing H neun, X eins, still alive, yes!

Q-vier was good this episode and its just really entertaining to have Yuki Kaji voice such a character, he should be antagonist more often. H-neun is like the Jean Kirstein for me in this anime. Anyway rather than dwell on the characters, Ill just end by saying Valvrave is going places and Im sticking around for the ride patiently waiting for the answers to come.

Future, the kid seemed like a Haruto/L-elf of sorts, rather interesting. If Haruto survived then hopefully L-elf outlasted too, unless Haruto really does die and L-elf gets his abilities and etc?

cajunator

Banned
Chihayafuru2 25 END

A nice episode to wind down after the big tournament, deal with the immediate issue of Chihaya's injury, and see all the characters looking forward to new developments and new challenges ahead. There were a lot of good moments in this episode. All in all, I think this was a pretty satisfying way to end the season.

And by that I mean season three when.

This show was enjoyable for almost the entire time for me. Now I am about 20 eps behind on Space Bros so I need to catch up to that lol.

Nice drawing (>.<)b

Agreed.

Thanks!

rip art
slain by cajun :(

Not really...

PapaKiki OVA
vEgELM5l.jpg

Lewdest

ArkeKh9l.jpg

Lewd

zONJaQVl.jpg

Moe

You know, for a franchise with like a billion manga spinoffs, I kind of figured that was how it would be tiered. You basically get all the stages of
Usagi Drop
here. lol

This show was an unexpected surprise. I bought it after reading all the impressions here and ended up quite liking it. It sounds so stupid on the surface, and it still is in some ways but like Henneko there was more there.

This show was an unexpected surprise. I bought it after reading all the impressions here and ended up quite liking it. It sounds so stupid on the surface, and it still is in some ways but like Henneko there was more there.

It was way more heart warming than it had any business being, certainly.

cnet128

Banned
Futari wa Precure Splash Star 32

Guys, when you defeat a major villain you're supposed to go and restore the relevant Fountain in the same episode. Otherwise I can't celebrate properly!

But yeah, Mizu YOUR FAVOURITE ANIME IS SHITatare finally bites the dust for good in this episode. Once the Cures get around to restoring her Fountain, that'll be a grand total of six out of seven fountains safe from the forces of evil: Sun, Tree, Fire, Earth, Sky and Water. Just one fountain to go, which I guess ought to mean one last villain before we reach the endgame.

Except that doesn't quite match up with the remaining number of episodes - at a rate of one Uzaina and thus one Miracle Drop per episode, it shouldn't take longer than about seven episodes to restore the final fountain, but there are still 17 episodes of the show left. My guess is that the bad guys are going to finally discover the location of the Fountain of Sun at some point and capture it as well, so it'll take the Cures another seven episodes to restore that one too. Which would leave a very reasonable three episodes for the final showdown with Akudaikaan.

Futari wa Precure Splash Star 32

Guys, when you defeat a major villain you're supposed to go and restore the relevant Fountain in the same episode. Otherwise I can't celebrate properly!

But yeah, Mizu YOUR FAVOURITE ANIME IS SHITatare finally bites the dust for good in this episode. Once the Cures get around to restoring her Fountain, that'll be a grand total of six out of seven fountains safe from the forces of evil: Sun, Tree, Fire, Earth, Sky and Water. Just one fountain to go, which I guess ought to mean one last villain before we reach the endgame.

Except that doesn't quite match up with the remaining number of episodes - at a rate of one Uzaina and thus one Miracle Drop per episode, it shouldn't take longer than about seven episodes to restore the final fountain, but there are still 17 episodes of the show left. My guess is that the bad guys are going to finally discover the location of the Fountain of Sun at some point and capture it as well, so it'll take the Cures another seven episodes to restore that one too. Which would leave a very reasonable three episodes for the final showdown with Akudaikaan.

You just love making fun of her don't you?

Oh man, next villian will be pretty cool.

Highschool of the Dead 11

Would have been an interesting anime if it wholly took place in a high school. But for the episode at hand liked how it turned out.
though that Takashi and the other girl scene was too much, It seems so odd for her to randomly end up on his lap and then on the bed as the camera panned upwards and sounds were made. More so for the fact that it just seemed like he is there for her to use as she still can't get over the deceased friend of both of them. Thankfully Takashi seemed to recognize this and did nothing. (he should sport that look more often)

isnt launch bombs and armageddon a bit too...well much for this anime? How can high school kids do anything in regards to it...

Also in this episode, a new ED! It is full of happiness and dancing, and thus basically perfect for Splash Star. A good thing too, since I was about to complain about the fact that Moop and Foop usurped the position previously occupied by Saki's giant smile at the beginning of the OP. That's not cool, you guys.

GAMBALANCE de DANCE~

In other news, what mindset should one be in to watch Valrave?

madp

The Light of El Cantare

mAcOdIn

A spaceship should have zero weak spots. Everything should be a giant ball with guns pointed at all directions :D
Uh, but, then wouldn't a giant ball with guns all over also have zero strong spots? You'd never be able to focus all your firepower so even if your ball bristling with guns had more than enough guns to actually overpower your enemy you'd never be able to since they can't all physically face the enemy at the same time.

My take on space combat: It's the last honorable human profession, one where they don't have to, but choose to, meet their enemy face to face. And in the interest of fairness and expediency place most of their armaments on the front so as to not draw out combat longer than need be. It literally is gunslinging in space.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Uh, but, then wouldn't a giant ball with guns all over also have zero strong spots? You'd never be able to focus all your firepower so even if your ball bristling with guns had more than enough guns to actually overpower your enemy you'd never be able to since they can't all physically face the enemy at the same time.

My take on space combat: It's the last honorable human profession, one where they don't have to, but choose to, meet their enemy face to face. And in the interest of fairness and expediency place most of their armaments on the front so as to not draw out combat longer than need be. It literally is gunslinging in space.
Why do aliens also design their ship the same way then? lol

Joe Molotov

What's a good (or even a bad) "cute girls doing nothing" show? I'm having withdrawals already from Yuyushiki being over. I've watched YuruYuri, I've watched K-ON! (and !!), Joshiraku, SoreMachi, GuP, Tamako Market, Azumanga Diaoh and Pani Poni Dash, Kill Me Baby, probably some other stuff I can't think of at the moment and I forgot to put on MAL.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Because aliens have honor too, except the borg.
What about cloaking devices?

What's a good (or even a bad) "cute girls doing nothing" show? I'm having withdrawals already from Yuyushiki being over. I've watched YuruYuri, I've watched K-ON! (and !!), Joshiraku, SoreMachi, GuP, Tamako Market, Azumanga Diaoh and Pani Poni Dash, Kill Me Baby, probably some other stuff I can't think of at the moment and I forgot to put on MAL.
A Channel?

The obvious answer is Hidamari Sketch. Sketchbook Full Colors too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Then why do Klingons still employ cloaking technology that Starfleet refuses to use for ethical reasons?
No, that's not true. The Federation is barred from cloaking because of the Treaty of Algeron with the Romulans. Remember the Phase Cloak from "Pegasus".

Yes, I hate myself for knowing that.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
No, that's not true. The Federation is barred from cloaking because of the Treaty of Algeron with the Romulans. Remember the Phase Cloak from "Pegasus".

Yes, I hate myself for knowing that.

I defer to you as the superior Trek nerd. I don't think I've watched any TNG in about ten years anyway!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Was it you who dropped Hidamari Sketch recently? If so, hmm, what else is there...there's Joshiraku, but it's extremely heavy on the Japanese puns/references. But there's a pretty nice guide here that explains a lot of them. You could also try Morita-san wa Mukuchi. It's a short, so you can watch it all in one sitting, but it's still pretty good. GJ-bu is good, too, but it's not exactly what you're looking for (it's a bit harem-y).

EDIT: Fuck, I missed Joshiraku in your post. Dammit.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I haven't either. I just remember it. lol

Well, technically I'm watching select episodes from the blurays that I'm buying. Dat HD Picard.

I'd be right there with you but I heard that the S2 set got a shit transfer so my OCD won't let me purchase any of them now due to the inconsistent quality :(

Joe Molotov

I also just remembered that I've seen Hyakko as well, but Aria is a good suggestion because it reminded me that I've only seen the first season, need to watch the rest of that.

mAcOdIn

Ah. Ya'll are making things too complicated. I mean humanity has honor not that every human is honorable. Ultimately there's no constant besides inconsistency when talking about entire groups of people. And aliens.

As for Klingons, those are some poorly written aliens there, for a race that supposedly values honor they had their spaceships cloak like cowards. For a species that values honor and combat they still rely on ship to ship combat. You'd think, going by their nature, that a Klingon war strategy would involve more boarding actions and that that would be reflected in their ship designs instead they seem to be more hit and run.

But Trek sucks anyways.

cnet128

Banned

I'm not sure if they strictly count since they both include male characters, but GJ-bu and especially Acchi Kocchi are both very nice shows with ample amounts of cute girls doing nothing.

That said, if you're just looking for something to replace Yuyushiki, it's probably worth remembering that there are at least three shows starting next week that will probably fill that void. Love Lab and Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku start next Thursday, and Kin'iro Mosaic starts the following Saturday.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'd be right there with you but I heard that the S2 set got a shit transfer so my OCD won't let me purchase any of them now due to the inconsistent quality :(
No, S2 has a fine transfer. It's just the effects works on the even numbered discs aren't great looking. But who cares, when it's just a scene of the Enterprise orbiting some orange planet or whatever?

Ah. Ya'll are making things too complicated. I mean humanity has honor not that every human is honorable. Ultimately there's no constant besides inconsistency when talking about entire groups of people. And aliens.

As for Klingons, those are some poorly written aliens there, for a race that supposedly values honor they had their spaceships cloak like cowards. For a species that values honor and combat they still rely on ship to ship combat. You'd think, going by their nature, that a Klingon war strategy would involve more boarding actions and that that would be reflected in their ship designs instead they seem to be more hit and run.

But Trek sucks anyways.
Let's face it. The reason why starships look the way they do is because the people who write/make science fiction basically have no imagination. :p

Star Trek Into Darkness is the Sword Art Online of the Star Trek franchise.
To be fair, SAO has more integrity in its premise than either of JJ's Trek efforts.

cnet128

Banned
Let's face it. The reason why starships look the way they do is because the people who write/make science fiction basically have no imagination. :p

I prefer to think the reason starships look the way they do is that they look so much cooler as sleek, directionally-shaped vessels than they would as giant formless masses.

Branduil

I went into an Anime thread and a Star Trek discussion broke out.

How could this happen?

If you look at the schematics for the Enterprise-D, there's a room with a Dolphin tank; it never showed up in the show because the producers thought it was too silly, but it was intended as an homage to Gunbuster.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I prefer to think the reason starships look the way they do is that they look so much cooler as sleek, directionally-shaped vessels than they would as giant formless masses.
The common excuse is that starships need to be able to travel in the atmosphere, so they still need the traditional "airplane" designs to them.

Not that I particularly like BSG nowadays, but at least the Cylon basestars looked kind of cool.

Vecks

Does Minami-Ke count?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom