• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hattori

Banned

tumblr_l7kc1zMy8l1qcf7tn.gif
Speaking of nerds, this is literally what a nerd is. The more you know...

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Ah. Ya'll are making things too complicated. I mean humanity has honor not that every human is honorable. Ultimately there's no constant besides inconsistency when talking about entire groups of people. And aliens.

As for Klingons, those are some poorly written aliens there, for a race that supposedly values honor they had their spaceships cloak like cowards. For a species that values honor and combat they still rely on ship to ship combat. You'd think, going by their nature, that a Klingon war strategy would involve more boarding actions and that that would be reflected in their ship designs instead they seem to be more hit and run.

But Trek sucks anyways.

Apparently, their ethical standards only apply to their own species and anything goes in regard to their treatment of alien life.

Still, even on Kronos, honor is just an ideal that the political and cultural elites bend to conveniently suit their purposes. Characters like Duras wouldn't be able to exist otherwise!

jgminto

There need to be more shows like Gurren Lagann. Shows that aren't about twists or drama or any other complicated bs. It just follows its one simple lesson, keep drilling forward.

I love that.

Branduil

There need to be more shows like Gurren Lagann. Shows that aren't about twists or drama or any other complicated bs. It just follows its one simple lesson, keep drilling forward.

I love that.

There's lots of shows like that. It's not like Gurren Lagann is a completely original idea.

Can't believe I forgot that one. I need to eventually get to the later seasons but I keep hearing S2 and 3 aren't so great because of some Milhouse looking wiener.

Season 3 is pretty good, season 2 is the only real disappointing season. It goes 1>4>3>2 with 2 being the only one that isn't particularly funny.

mAcOdIn

Let's face it. The reason why starships look the way they do is because the people who write/make science fiction basically have no imagination. :p
I actually think it's the opposite, it's because they have imagination.

I imagine that space travel will initially have to begin with utilitarian designs by necessity and that over time, as the profitability, technology and "routineliness" of space travel expands that at some point humanity, or any spacefaring race for that matter, would then be able to bring back some imagination and aesthetics into their spaceship designs.

Humanity always wants things to be visually pleasing if possible, and a spaceship's really no different than a bridge, sidewalk or building in that matter. Everything should be designed with maximum efficiency in mind and yet almost nothing really is, because maximum efficiency is boring. It's ugly. It's mechanical. I think the same concept will play out in space.

Also, since we are talking about space here I think anyone who actually explores space, human or otherwise, does so because they want to "see" it, otherwise, outside the need for more resources why leave further than you need to? So I think visual design would be one of the first things that theoretical first contact with a new race would take into account, and even if they didn't care what our ships or their ships looked like, I think humanity would care and think that they'd care.

Regardless of how things really play out though there's room for all kinds of budgets here, even in the far flung future there will be room for a nasty looking, cheap, ship that looks like it's made from the scaffolding of an abandoned skyscraper with an engine slapped onto the back just as much as there would be some governmental or pleasure ship that spends more effort on design.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Except that all you need to do to take out the biggest kind of star destroyer is just have an Asian guy fly an A-wing into the bridge.

I'll agree that out of all of the terrible things about spaceships retaining maritime design principles for aesthetic reasons, this is the most ragingly stupid.

The badass secondary bridge used for piloting the aft section of the Enterprise-D after saucer separation should have always been the main bridge.

Branduil

I never understood why a giant triangle is supposed to be scary.

It's powerful and aggressive. In structural engineering, triangles are one of the strongest shapes; you could also make any number of Freudian analyses about it's arrowhead-like shape and the bulging mass of its command tower. But mostly, it just looks really cool, cold, and mechanical, like you'd expect from the primary starship of a galactic empire. The original trilogy is full of great visual design like that which communicates world-building without words. RIP Ralph McQuarrie.

Except that all you need to do to take out the biggest kind of star destroyer is just have an Asian guy fly an A-wing into the bridge.

Well the shield balls had to be taken out too, but they're so obvious the only way they could have made them more obvious is if they painted targets on them.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I actually think it's the opposite, it's because they have imagination.

I imagine that space travel will initially have to begin with utilitarian designs by necessity and that over time, as the profitability, technology and "routineliness" of space travel expands that at some point humanity, or any spacefaring race for that matter, would then be able to bring back some imagination and aesthetics into their spaceship designs.

Humanity always wants things to be visually pleasing if possible, and a spaceship's really no different than a bridge, sidewalk or building in that matter. Everything should be designed with maximum efficiency in mind and yet almost nothing really is, because maximum efficiency is boring. It's ugly. It's mechanical. I think the same concept will play out in space.

Also, since we are talking about space here I think anyone who actually explores space, human or otherwise, does so because they want to "see" it, otherwise, outside the need for more resources why leave further than you need to? So I think visual design would be one of the first things that theoretical first contact with a new race would take into account, and even if they didn't care what our ships or their ships looked like, I think humanity would care and think that they'd care.

Regardless of how things really play out though there's room for all kinds of budgets here, even in the far flung future there will be room for a nasty looking, cheap, ship that looks like it's made from the scaffolding of an abandoned skyscraper with an engine slapped onto the back just as much as there would be some governmental or pleasure ship that spends more effort on design.

I look at it this way. At the moment, the most practical space ship mankind has designed is basically a cylinder with a cone on top of it. lol

I think the thing is that the ships are designed as if they were moving on a 2d plane in mind. So they always have to have this longish shape, as if they'd look like the ships we have at sea nowadays.

cajunator

Banned
What's a good (or even a bad) "cute girls doing nothing" show? I'm having withdrawals already from Yuyushiki being over. I've watched YuruYuri, I've watched K-ON! (and !!), Joshiraku, SoreMachi, GuP, Tamako Market, Azumanga Diaoh and Pani Poni Dash, Kill Me Baby, probably some other stuff I can't think of at the moment and I forgot to put on MAL.

Aiura!
tumblr_mlqsfxfCYF1s6auido1_500.gif

I must be the only one who really doesn't care for this one.

Then again, few endings managed to grab me overall.

I gotta listen to this now. Just to see..
Im gonna regret it arent I?

Star Trek Into Darkness is the Sword Art Online of the Star Trek franchise.

Please dont destroy STID like that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's powerful and aggressive. In structural engineering, triangles are one of the strongest shapes; you could also make any number of Freudian analyses about it's arrowhead-like shape and the bulging mass of its command tower. But mostly, it just looks really cool, cold, and mechanical, like you'd expect from the primary starship of a galactic empire. The original trilogy is full of great visual design like that which communicates world-building without words. RIP Ralph McQuarrie.
Yeah, you sort of immediately understand what the Empire represents with that industrial design. That said, giant cube > giant triangle. lol

Well the shield balls had to be taken out too, but they're so obvious the only way they could have made them more obvious is if they painted targets on them.
Yeah, it's silly. Also, TIE Fighters don't have shields! Idiots!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Are aerodynamic principles meaningless in a friction-free environment? I was always really terrible at physics.

Also, Lore's custom Borg vessel in Descent was always the most menacing ship in TNG because of the asymmetry.

Crocodile

This Star Trek discussion is actually kind of interesting *grabs popcorn*

This seems like it would be a list relevant to my interests.........

I'm sure I'm familiar with many of the shows that would go on this list but I'm also sure there are plenty I'm straight unaware of.

CorvoSol

Highschool of the Dead 11

Would have been an interesting anime if it wholly took place in a high school. But for the episode at hand liked how it turned out.
though that Takashi and the other girl scene was too much, It seems so odd for her to randomly end up on his lap and then on the bed as the camera panned upwards and sounds were made. More so for the fact that it just seemed like he is there for her to use as she still can't get over the deceased friend of both of them. Thankfully Takashi seemed to recognize this and did nothing. (he should sport that look more often)

isnt launch bombs and armageddon a bit too...well much for this anime? How can high school kids do anything in regards to it...

Rei is meh anyway. I mean worst girl is hands down Takagi and her snaggle tooth, but in a choice between Rei and Saeko, Saeko every. DAMN. TIME.

THE REMAINDER OF MY POST CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR ZZ, Zeta, SEED, and DESTINY GUNDAM.

Crossposting this from the Gundam thread to see if anybody else has any comments.

Is Lacus Clyne Cosmic Era's Haman Khan?

The question is right here before us, folks: Is Lacus Clyne, Cosmic Era's sugar-coated Pink Princess, really Haman Khan, the manipulative villainess of Zeta and ZZ fame? At first I'm sure it might seem like a stupid question, where the answer is "No you moron, Lacus and Haman are nothing alike, and whatever you say next is more elaborate than the writers could possibly be expected to have come up with!" And while you are COMPLETELY RIGHTWRONG, I will endeavor to afford you an explanation just the same.
Let's begin with the absolutely most superficial and work our way in, shall we? Haman and Lacus both have "warm" hair colors, specifically Lacus has pink, and Haman a more magenta shade. Obviously they're not that far apart. Both are young, beautiful, blue eyed women. Both are space-born women of a race despised by the people of Earth. Both have a tendency to accentuate their hair with golden ornaments.

At a young age, Haman Khan was rescued from peril by a dashing young prince. Lacus, likewise, was rescued from mortal peril by one she later referred to as a knight, whose sister was a princess. Haman was a sweet teenager, and continued this public appearance of being a perfect lady the rest of her life. An act Lacus endeavored to put on as well. Haman became romantically interested in Char Aznable when she was young, just as Lacus was engaged to Athrun Zala, one of SEED's three Char Clones at a young age. Despite this relationship, both Haman and Lacus later moved on from their Char to a bright eyed young man with big dreams about an idealistic version of the universe.

The Haman Khan we know, particularly in ZZ, has a tendency to use her femininity to influence the men in her life into doing her bidding. She does this with Glemy, with Mashmyre, and even Judau. This is symbolized differently with all three, but most blatantly with Mashmyre's rose. Lacus also uses her femininity to influence the men in her life, collecting Kira, Athrun, and Andrew Waltfeld to her cause as time goes on.

Haman's father was a prominent member of Spacenoid society, and when he died, she took over his role in Axis society. Lacus' father was a prominent member of Coordinator society, and when he died she claimed his role in the PLANTs.

Both women are charismatic, but extremely talented tacticians and cunning manipulators of the persons and events around them. Haman was also a NewType, and Lacus a SEED bearer. Haman suggests that concealing her true nature is her greatest strength, and as previously discussed, disguising the fact that she (Lacus) is so intelligent is likely Lacus' as well. Haman tells Judau that it is the destiny of humans to be alone. Lacus fights Durandal's communal "Destiny Plan" leaving humans alone to find their own way through life.

Both women are intensely ambitious, Haman ruthlessly fighting to seize control of the Earth Sphere and Lacus raising a small army of her own for the sake of dictating human fate as well.

For the sake of reminder, consider: Lacus Clyne orchestrates the induction of Kira Yamato into her personal command, the theft of the newest and most powerful Gundam for this same sake, and a new ship prior to entering into a two-way conflict, where, in spite of being a relative unknown, she quickly gains power and sway over all after a conflict with Athrun Zala. Some time later, her forces engage a distressed and disorganized world in a conflict for control of the fate of mankind.

Haman Khan attempts the induction of Judau Ashta into her personal command, as well as the theft of his newest and most powerful Gundam for the same sake, and the new prototype ship. She enters into a two-way conflict between the Titans and AEUG where, in spite of being a relative unknown, she quickly gains power and sway over all after a conflict with Char Aznable. Some time later, her forces engage a distressed and disorganized Earth Sphere in a conflict for control of the fate of mankind.

Lacus is friends with an actual princess that everyone knows is a puppet and ignores in her favor. Haman is the guardian of an actual princess that everyone knows is a puppet and ignores in her favor.
So what say you, GundamGAF?

Haman and Lacus; polar opposite characters who share a similar hair color? Or is one a "heroic" retelling of the other?

cajunator

Banned
thankfully GAMBALANCE de DANCE isnt as catchy as advertised so I wont be stuck listening to it all night. Unfortunately theres a lot of other Precure music...

zeroshiki

Are aerodynamic principles meaningless in a friction-free environment? I was always really terrible at physics.

Also, Lore's custom Borg vessel in Descent was always the most menacing ship in TNG because of the asymmetry.

Yes, there is no wind resistance. You could shape it like a parachute and it wouldn't matter ONCE it is already in space.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This seems like it would be a list relevant to my interests.........

I'm sure I'm familiar with many of the shows that would go on this list but I'm also sure there are plenty I'm straight unaware of.
Just off the top of my head I would say Girls und Panzer, Medaka Box Abnormal, Jojo, Hells, Redline, Meeramera, etc. If we just wanted to use pushing forward as an ideology there are just heaps of shows. To complain that there isn't stuff like Gurren Lagann anymore just reminds me of weird 90s anime whining.

twists and drama are neat btw.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
thankfully GAMBALANCE de DANCE isnt as catchy as advertised so I wont be stuck listening to it all night. Unfortunately theres a lot of other Precure music...

Listen to the Yes 5 version before you make a final judgment.

Yes, and if you wanted to maneuver like a plane in space, you'd need thrusters all over the ship for it to move.

One little thing that Into Darkness actually did right.

Branduil

I don't think those were actually supposed to be shield generators, that was just confusing editing in RotJ reinforced by video games, because obviously in a Star Wars game they have to give you some way to actually destroy a Star Destroyer.

If you want to talk about something that makes no sense, how about AT-ATs in a universe where anti-gravity is widely available.

zeroshiki

A sphere is probably the best "spaceship" to have in a battle since it minimizes surface area. There is less of the ship to hit.

Actually loading weapons on to it and stuff is another matter but it should naturally follow.

mAcOdIn

I look at it this way. At the moment, the most practical space ship mankind has designed is basically a cylinder with a cone on top of it. lol

I think the thing is that the ships are designed as if they were moving on a 2d plane in mind. So they always have to have this longish shape, as if they'd look like the ships we have at sea nowadays.
Well, I don't deny that at the least combat in Trek takes place in 2d but I'm not sure that really matters in regards to the ships themselves. An aircraft can move in three dimensions and, for a time combat took place in three dimensions, with missiles I guess you can say that went away somewhat, but it still retains that 2d look. Of course this is by necessity, a spaceship has little need to worry about being aerodynamic in the Earth's atmosphere, but, I think the trend would continue in space. While it's true you could fly your ship in any direction in space you then have to tackle the more tricky fundamental problem of how would you actually do that? Right now our best method of propulsion is thrust. It's really actually pretty shitty but if thrust is your propulsion does it not still make sense to treat it like a large airplane? Or do you think that, in space travel, one hell of a place where KISS really matters that people should attempt to build shit with exhausts all over, or worse, engines all over in different orientations and shit? But I can give you this one somewhat, as I guess it's possible for there to bed different classes of ships here, a military fighter may go for more maneuverability and forgo creature comforts and thus have a more complicated design than you standard civilian ship but do you really think every ship be ready for combat in three dimensions? Say it's something different like solar sails, same thing, still makes sense to treat it like a boat. Of course, who knows what kind of propulsion will be available and maybe, one day, there will be a method where ti makes zero sense to even have a front, but I don't see that time, do you?

Of course you could say "why not make it vertical instead of horizontal" or something but I would say that that's because of space and comfort, would you rather walk or glide somewhere or climb stairs and ladders to the next room? It's about physical orientation. Humans walk upright. We want gravity, we need gravity. That's why people want to make artificial gravity for spaceships and space stations. I don't even think humans can properly reproduce and develop in zero-g so a futuristic spaceship, that hopefully carry humans, would, desirably not be built vertically so that the humans inside could walk around, sleep, do the stuff people do. Comfortably.

When talking about space the three dimension shit really only applies to combat, where else does it matter that your ship can't shoot in all directions and shit? Does a Boeing 747 even have guns at all let alone on the front? So putting combat aside, why would spaceships need to account for the 3dness of space?

Branduil

A sphere is probably the best "spaceship" to have in a battle since it minimizes surface area. There is less of the ship to hit.

Actually loading weapons on to it and stuff is another matter but it should naturally follow.

A sphere would be bad for radiating heat, though. Unless you've solved the heat radiation problem, you actually wants as much surface area as possible.

I don't think those were actually supposed to be shield generators, that was just confusing editing in RotJ reinforced by video games, because obviously in a Star Wars game they have to give you some way to actually destroy a Star Destroyer.
I could have sworn seeing them called shield generators in the movie, but it's been a while.
If you want to talk about something that makes no sense, how about AT-ATs in a universe where anti-gravity is widely available.
I assumed it was to make them look incredibly intimidating. AT-STs make less sense though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom