• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Not really...
Spill the beans.

Djangoは非連鎖

God damn it, I can't remember who in IRC misled me by convincing me this was a live action adaptation of the Syrup Village arc from One Piece but that's obviously not what I got. ffs
lol

The other day I finished watching Squid Girl. Guys, how do I fix this empty feeling my life has had since I realized I had no more to watch?

That show was pure joy condensed into 26 minute servings.
Read thw manga, there's like over 230 chapters of the thing translated.

Railgun 12
Well this was a fairly pointless retread episode. It adds nothing new if you've watched Index other than finding out how
Misaka learned that the Tree Diagram was destroyed
which is not really all that important. I enjoyed the first half of this show, but if they are going to stretch this out for 4 more episodes and then go into filler, I'm not hopeful for its future prospects.

CorvoSol

Revolting Wakabetrayal 20

Isn't Saionji being a shitbag to Wakaba the ENTIRE REASON Utena got caught up in this mess in the first place? And now Wakaba is with him? WHY. WHY. WHY. FUCK. This manipulative rat bastard. PLEEEEEEASE Wakaba, PLEEEAAAASE I beg of you, IMPLORE you not to turn out like Ensign Rekkua of Zeta Gundam. PLEEAAAAASE. Wakaba is behaving straight up like someone in an abusive relationship already. What with the not spending time with her friends and lying and all. Oh man if that fucking rat bastard slaps Wakaba. Oh man.

I literally cannot watch this episode because it hurts me. Knowing the horrible, awful, hateful conclusion that this must reach is just . . . man. I mean, she's a super sweet, innocent, uninvolved bystander who has nothing to do with the fucked up shit that the rest of this place is. And she looks so happy! Knowing that its all going to come crashing down around her head is just . . . crum.

Awwww maaaaaan. And there it is. Fucking male Utena goes and janks everything up. I'm legitimately surprised that this wasn't DIRECTLY Saionji's doing, but at the same time, that ambitious rat bastard's ambivalence is still the root. Well I guess that answer's Nanami's question. Judging from Saionji's scream, it hurts a whole, whole lot. GOOD. Hope it feels like having your rat bastard heart torn out.

The song talks about Pyrrhus, whose victory was so costly that it hurt him more than if he had lost. Which sounds about fitting for making Utena duel Wakaba. And Wakaba's speech to Utena about everyone looking down on her is fairly deserved, too. Ever since Anthy showed up, Utena's been spending more time with her and the Student Council and her brother than with poor ol' Wakaba.

Ojamajo Doremi - 31

What is a postcard?
The level
test was so easy,
how did they take so much time to discover the answer.
It's nice how
knowing other people's thoughts
is high level magic,
but at first I just thought Tamila-kun didn't want anything.

WHOOPS. I bought it. =0

BN6FIQ3CAAEzSbu.jpg:large

BN6Gg-rCQAAbtC4.jpg:large

BN6G46VCcAAV9i_.jpg:large

Delicious.

In other news, I finished the Full Metal Panic! novels. All the feels. Will write about them later.

CorvoSol

Slayers TRY 23

Will Gourry EVER get his sword back? Will Zel EVER get to be human again? Will Sylphiel actually not show up this season? Stay tuned to find out!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But seriously, you can make a ship that looks however you want in space, ok, cool, but, to what purpose? Just the look, a cheap outer hull in whatever shape you want is one thing but that's not what you're asking. You apparently want it to be able to move in any direction and shoot in any direction at any time. Sit and think a minute regarding exactly how hard that is to design both from a propulsion and weaponry standpoint. When thinking about the possible ways to achieve this there's one thing I can't imagine a design of this style being. Reliable. We can't even keep F-22s and Dreamliners up and running and you want something so complex to be someone's home, their spaceship, that runs indefinitely in the vastness of space, alone?

*and snip*
The thing is that not everything is hard scifi, so there's no reason why anything mechanical that you think shouldn't work could just work because of space magic.

d7Y2Prxl.jpg

I don't think any human technology could produce a basestar, but it just looks cool and different so who cares? The interiors still look exactly like any office building (or empty warehouse) we have on Earth, but there's no visible "front" or "back" and so forth.

Sure, if you're doing a military scifi show where everyone uses American military ranks and the ships are named after US Presidents or whatever, then sure, the USS Barack Obama should probably look like a conventional starship in the way that we think of conventional starships.

The new Chris Roberts game is basically military science fiction fetish fuel for the military tech nerds that fap over F22 schematics, and there's definitely a place for that and for conventional battles where fleets meet and people still field fighter planes for some reason. But you can also have shows that just go wacky with their designs as well.

As for why you wouldn't want automated weapons, just ask Matthew Broderick in Wargames!

Ridli

I'm sure I'll continue to watch Titan, but I'm not going to bother with catching it every week. Maybe in 3 or 4 episode chunks, with gratuitous use of fast forward. There is some very interesting world building that I want to see continue, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting week to week.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm sure I'll continue to watch Titan, but I'm not going to bother with catching it every week. Maybe in 3 or 4 episode chunks, with gratuitous use of fast forward. There is some very interesting world building that I want to see continue, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting week to week.
I'm going to assume it'll be people screaming each other's names over and over again with some random flashbacks to the
basement

Last time: OH MY GOD
TODAY: ITS A TITAN
Next week: I need to pee!

CorvoSol

So do we have a count for people still gearing up for Attack on Titan?

I AM GEARING UP FOR ATTACK ON TITAN! I CANNOT WAIT TO WATCH ATTACK ON TITAN. ATTACK ON TITAN IS A SHOW FOR WHICH I AM FILLED WITH EXCITEMENT. I AM REALLY EXCITED ABOUT ATTACK ON TITAN. ATTACK ON TITAN STIMULATES MY EXCITEMENT CENTERS. EACH WEEK THAT I WATCH ATTACK ON TITAN IS EXCITING. I LIKE TO WATCH ATTACK ON TITAN. ATTACK ON TITAN IS A SHOW THAT I LIKE TO WATCH. I LIKE TO WATCH ATTACK ON TITAN BECAUSE IT EXCITES ME. BECAUSE THE EXCITING PLOTS ARE SO FLUID AND WELL THOUGHT OUT. THAT IS WHY I LIKE ATTACK ON TITAN. BECAUSE ATTACK ON TITAN IS A WELL THOUGHT OUT SHOW. ATTACK ON TITAN IS A WELL THOUGHT OUT SHOW WHERE THINGS HAPPEN. I LIKE ATTACK ON TITAN BECAUSE OF THIS. BECAUSE ATTACK ON TITAN IS A WELL THOUGHT OUT SHOW WHERE THINGS HAPPEN., I LIKE IT.
IT EXCITES ME. I AM EXCITED FOR IT. ATTACK ON TITAN.

I'm still watching it but to be fair I don't understand anything about the anime industry and how to tell what scenes are bad and what are good. For example I watched 3 straight episodes and felt good about it and came to GAF to find out that those episodes were very low-tier and looked low budget. I had to have someone explain to me how AOT does this and how to notice when other anime do this.

Show's concept is good and started out great, but it seems everything is super slow now.

CorvoSol

I'm still watching it but to be fair I don't understand anything about the anime industry and how to tell what scenes are bad and what are good. For example I watched 3 straight episodes and felt good about it and came to GAF to find out that those episodes were very low-tier and looked low budget. I had to have someone explain to me how AOT does this and how to notice when other anime do this.

Show's concept is good and started out great, but it seems everything is super slow now.

This is the reason I'm hard on it. It was great, and now its crashed into a wall and smouldering.

That's a good way to put it actually. Sort of made Jojo's Bizarre Motion Comic look like an animated legend (instead it's just legend)

The poor animation and abundance of stills aren't even Titan's biggest problems. The production values make it worse, but the writing and direction are the real diseases here.

Conan-san

I'm waiting for it to end so I can just go at it at my own pace and so I can avoid another FMA 2003 / Soul Eater type situation if it occurs.

I think I'll request a powerpoint presentation from someone here instead. Same product, less bandwidth used.

Looked at the front page and saw New Stage 2 on there. I wish we had 90 minute precure movies :/

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Kiss Dum: Engage Planet 05:

I haven't watched an anime that trolls its own characters this much in a long, long time. Between the f-tier self-serious sci-fi action, the show's consistent unpredictability, and its seeming willingness to pull anything out of its ass just for the sake of every episode having a twist, this actually has a chance of reaching "unquantifiable" status if it can keep building on the cheese. I'm eating this shit up.

Soma

Still watching it, still (more or less) enjoying it.

I'll be the first to admit I've got pretty low standards but even I can say that the past few episodes haven't been up to par with the first seven or eight episodes (at least for me). Slow pacing doesn't bother me that much but the series really has no business being that slow consider how good the source material is. But yeah while I still like it, it definitely isn't as strong as it should be.

Though if a certain thing doesn't happen in the next episode (I.E.,
the end of the Trost Battle
) then I'm probably gonna have to seriously re-evaluate my thoughts on this adaption.

CorvoSol

Revolutionary Girl Utena 21

Pretty sure eating this pocky is symbolic of these girls sucking Nanami's dick. Speaking of, its a Nanami episode, so I should expect lapses of reality. Chu Chu just farted in a sleeping bag until he died, so yeah. Well there you have it. No doubt left in my mind that Anthy is only friends with Utena because someone wants her to be. Girl's like a blank piece of paper. Write the personality here, please! You know, pony tails was the Nanami supporter I liked least, and her bitchy attitude has more than earned her this terrible fate. So yeah, go ahead and suffer it, kiddo.

I sort of feel like this episode belonged before the previous episode. Placing
Wakaba as Utena's opponent
was sort of a big, emotional deal that I feel is somewhat cheapened or lessened by dragging this Black Rose thing out any further. It's time this plot line advanced and the story continued, rather than stock storylines and footage for another full episode. Which is basically what this episode is: a stock plot with stock footage.

My my, but if THAT wasn't an ominous statement for Anthy to make. Nine gajillion percent sure she does not care about Utena now.

Anyone going to Anime Expo? Gonna watch the Blue Exorcist Movie premier. Last year they have Moon Phase and chants of USA filled the room. Good times.

Thoraxes

Emi is the Best Girl - 13

That was a good ending. I give this show a fun/10.

I will miss weekly Emi in my life and her t-shirt-only pajamas.

cajunator

Banned
When I Google, all I get are pictures of the girls. lol

Ill screen cap some of the show for you from DVD if you want to see them.

I AM GEARING UP FOR ATTACK ON TITAN! I CANNOT WAIT TO WATCH ATTACK ON TITAN. ATTACK ON TITAN IS A SHOW FOR WHICH I AM FILLED WITH EXCITEMENT. I AM REALLY EXCITED ABOUT ATTACK ON TITAN. ATTACK ON TITAN STIMULATES MY EXCITEMENT CENTERS. EACH WEEK THAT I WATCH ATTACK ON TITAN IS EXCITING. I LIKE TO WATCH ATTACK ON TITAN. ATTACK ON TITAN IS A SHOW THAT I LIKE TO WATCH. I LIKE TO WATCH ATTACK ON TITAN BECAUSE IT EXCITES ME. BECAUSE THE EXCITING PLOTS ARE SO FLUID AND WELL THOUGHT OUT. THAT IS WHY I LIKE ATTACK ON TITAN. BECAUSE ATTACK ON TITAN IS A WELL THOUGHT OUT SHOW. ATTACK ON TITAN IS A WELL THOUGHT OUT SHOW WHERE THINGS HAPPEN. I LIKE ATTACK ON TITAN BECAUSE OF THIS. BECAUSE ATTACK ON TITAN IS A WELL THOUGHT OUT SHOW WHERE THINGS HAPPEN., I LIKE IT.
IT EXCITES ME. I AM EXCITED FOR IT. ATTACK ON TITAN.

Poor Corvy Kun. Somehow this is all SAO's fault.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Toradora! 20

Picking right up with those feels from the last episode.

You tell him "Don't run away," Taiga, but that's exactly what you're doing yourself. Minorin is not going to shoot him down and then take him back just like that.

Does Minorin actually like Ryuuji? We know she's hinted at being bisexual and she's rejected Ryuuji (but for unknown reasons) and she seems to loathe Taiga's matchmaker antics (but not from a place of anger or disgust).

Well, the end is coming. Who's gonna win?!

Mature

Anyone going to Anime Expo? Gonna watch the Blue Exorcist Movie premier. Last year they have Moon Phase and chants of USA filled the room. Good times.
Video rooms are kind of a disappointment compared to last year... Some great movies playing though, like Wolf Children and Garden of Words amongst others.

CorvoSol

Ill screen cap some of the show for you from DVD if you want to see them.

Poor Corvy Kun. Somehow this is all SAO's fault.

SAO is a hurtful, stupid, awful, possibly evil show, but Attack on Titan's sins are all its own. Ne'er before have I seen a show so shamelessly squander what good will and favor it had garnered in so little time.

Slayers TRY 24

Man, when did this show come out? If the answer is "Before FF7" then boy does Sephiroth got some splainin' to do. Cuz Valgaav has this black angel wing thing to a t.

YAY GOURRY GOT HIS SWORD BACK.

/XX/

Aniplex Inc., has regional blocking now for the previous KILL la KILL TVCM videos (http://www.kill-la-kill.jp/movie/) uploaded to YouTube? I watched them when those where first uploaded without a problem... and now they put this nonsensical hurdles in their promotion? Why?

Please, don't do this for the next one that airs in just a few hours! If only TRIGGER Inc., uploaded them to their YouTube channel as well, unrestricted.

Almost laughed my ass off when the pink things turned into enemies. Was not expecting that.

So we've got another group of humans after those beast men things. I'm hoping we get some history of those things fairly soon, cause how everything ended up that way is really interesting to me.

Did that mouse thing seriously just rip its own tail off so Simon and Kamina could eat? Yeesh...

Oh wow, is this going to turn into a competition of who get's to save the world from the beast men? This is going to go places. Awesome places.
Are these totally positive reactions to episode 4? Thank you very much, pal... I needed to read something like this!

The editing does seem to indicate that the globe's destruction knocks out their shields, but it's possible the shields going out on the bridge was a side effect of the explosion of the globe rather than the globe itself generating the shields. That would seem to be a better explanation, because no other ships in the Star Wars universe have external shield generators(except the unfinished Death Star), and if the globes generated the shields, you would think you'd have to destroy both of them to knock them out.
Is this the moment when I can bring to the discussion game canon and say that the X-Wing series (in particular X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter that I played the most) identified the selective targets parts such as the domes above the bridge section on Star Destroyer class ships as shield generators?

I know, I know, not the most respected tier but I think it could fit nicely into the continuity after all, even if...

Yeah, it's silly. Also, TIE Fighters don't have shields! Idiots!
It's like they wanted the rebels to win. Maybe that was their plan all along!
Yo shields cost money.
... trading shield generation from the reactor for maneuverability and firepower? Out of convenience for game design, but very interesting solution.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?

Yeah. Everything about the show appeals to me so much, that I don't mind a couple episodes with meaningless banter.

I have patience though, so that's a thing I guess. I hope it is around for a long time.

Kagami

I cannot enjoy Valvrave because it gives me no reason to. Watching the proverbial train derail is only fun if you get to see the steps that lead it to happen and not just a loop of trains going off a cliff.
Valvrave ended up my favorite show from spring, but I agree with what you're saying.
There's a difference between random nonsense and properly set-up chaos.
Geass (and also School Days) do the latter well.
Valvrave has an element they could have built on for that sort of craziness, but they barely used it.

Also Valvrave's characters pale in comparison to Geass.
It won spring by default just because there really wasn't any stand-out great show.

Valvrave is at its best when its focusing on L-Elf or Saki (and to lesser extent Haruto and Shouko), the only characters worth anything. It's why the random twists about conspiracies and unknown people was such a miss with me in that last episode. The show lost steam later in the season and went from entertaining craziness to random twists for the sake up outdoing itself.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
... trading shield generation from the reactor for maneuverability and firepower? Out of convenience for game design, but very interesting solution.
You know, the TIE Defender had shields but I actually have no idea how they balanced the TIE Fighter. In the movies, it's basically one hit and you're dead.

That's good. Then again I guess other things are bothering people more than music choices.

There was some discussion about it when the OST was released, mostly in the vein of, this music is pretty decent when it's not being misused in inappropriate and obnoxious ways.

Kagami

The problem is that
one twist negates the other twist, and the last twist is made obvious by the fact that Chamber has been programmed to react in a very specific way to that information... so it's all so stupid.

And that's the thing, the stupidity in VVV builds upon each piece, crescendoing into a glorious climax.

The twists in Gargantia, at least barring some massive improvement in the finale, don't build toward anything. They're there for the sake of having them, because TWEEEEEEEESTS are the easy out nowadays.
I think our general feelings toward Gargantia are similar but I don't agree with your takes on the twists.
The Hideazue-were-human thing has a clear purpose for affecting Ledo; as a twist for the audience it's not particularly interesting (that whole episode was boring and should have been half as long) but it works fine as a shock to Ledo. Kugel appearing gives Ledo a situation to question his beliefs head-on. Thinking Kugel is alive gives us scenes of Ledo wanting to stop what Kugel's doing but not wanting to kill him. Finding out Kugel is dead will let Ledo simply attack Striker without hesitation. I'm not entirely sure what all they want to convey with Ledo prioritizing not killing Kugel: might just be a call-back to his old bond with him, might be to contrast with wiping out pirates at the beginning, might be both, but anyway.

So all of these things are about the effect they have on Ledo. That they have side-effects of potentially surprising the audience doesn't seem very important to me, so I never viewed them as TWEEESTS. Although seeing the way so many people got excited about episode 9, obviously there are some very different ways of watching this show, haha.

Thoraxes

Photokano - 13

Greatest episode ever. It delivered on everything I wanted and fucking nailed it ALL. DAT ENDING.

X0r4TMj.gif

FUCK.

YES.

Aw shit. Am I AnimeGAF's resident siscon? I hate that shit in real life but in anime is is fucking graaaaaavy. I'm fucked.

0jFei3t.gif

wonzo

Banned
Photo Kano 13 END for reals this time

photokano13.jpg

yeah, real subtle

This show really should've ended at east weeks episode instead of pulling this dumb
"not-blood related"
incest crap. They really should've just given this episode to the stealth girl and called it a day. :/

I have trouble deciding on second place sometimes.
A few episodes ago I would've put Suzuno over Chio but she kinda lost me towards the end.

e: okay i'm kinda creeped out now (;゚д゚) ・・・

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom