• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

What an exciting trailer, that was well worth sitting through a terrible variety show and the last episode of Gurren Lagann (a show I dropped after one epiosde) for :(

In other news, they showed a Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou CM straight afterwards that I hadn't seen before. Definitely quite heavily inspired by Madoka, although seemingly without the Shinbo-isms. Can't say it grabbed me that much but it doesn't look too painful.

duckroll

I'll save everyone else the trouble. Here's everything from the CM worth seeing:

QUrPS11.jpg

AccliLj.jpg

5KCarGs.jpg

cfwMuZe.jpg

F4MCN2W.jpg

gLT1dHO.jpg

CjH7zS5.jpg

BluWacky

It wasn't solely stills, I'm pleasantly surprised.

There was, what, two, three seconds of animation? The rest of it was fancy stuff with title cards.

It's the Psycho-Pass drip-feed marketing campaign all over again. It always works, and it's always really, really irritating :(

Considering I was expecting absolutely nothing at all, this is more than I could have asked for! Hahaha.

Love the second shot that duck master flex roll posted.

duckroll

There was, what, two, three seconds of animation? The rest of it was fancy stuff with title cards.

It's the Psycho-Pass drip-feed marketing campaign all over again. It always works, and it's always really, really irritating :(

It's not quite that, since we're still more than 3 months away from when the series starts. If you want to see non-marketing, you should look at Gatchaman Crowds. The show starts in 2 weeks, and there hasn't even been a TVCM yet. Lol.

fertygo

I actually pleased to see that much after all of these rage lol

Look cool, but the rival look like a man.. you can't ship then.

duckroll

That looks like a pretty dodgy animation cut. Surprised it's the main piece of animation in the CM. The way the perspective shifts at the end and her head just snaps into place is really unnatural. Looks like it's missing some inbetweens or something. It's even more obvious when it's on endless repeat in a gif. :p

Theonik

That looks like a pretty dodgy animation cut. Surprised it's the main piece of animation in the CM. The way the perspective shifts at the end and her head just snaps into place is really unnatural. Looks like it's missing some inbetweens or something. It's even more obvious when it's on endless repeat in a gif. :p
It's probably going to flow a lot better in context. The snap is probably an intentional stylistic choice.

Defuser

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S ep 12

Not surprised they dragged out the episode slowy by adding some scenes from the first Index and some filler in order to give a clearer view for first time watchers although I don't think they would explain why the Tree diagram was destroyed which is related to the very first arc of Index.

Judging by this episode, my theory is that this sister arc will wrap up by episode 15.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
based trigger etc etc

But the background art and chara designs are great, so hype, even with only 3 seconds of footage

CorvoSol

There are other gundams with lacus clyne like characters? Hopefully daisuki gets them up

Yes, you could definitely argue that Haman Khan and Lacus Clyne are comparable. >:)

GUYS IS IT IMAISHIPOCALYPSE TIME ALREADY

HOW ABOUT NOW

:) Deeper.

MY BRAIN HURTS WATCHING THIS SHOW.

Suzaku is definitely the Judau/Kira analogue. As for Char/Athrun...how does that joke go? "Lelouch is nothing like Char Aznable! He's just a siscon who put on a mask to avenge a dead parent!"

The only reason Lelouch isn't readily comparable to Char is because Lelouch sucks at piloting. Also don't forget his underage "fiance".

cnet128

Banned
Hanamaru Kindergarten.

*high five*

Futari wa Precure Splash Star 34

In this episode, Kintoresuki summoned an Uzaina for the first time. He created it from a bicycle and a pylon, so it looks like his element is definitely metal, as expected. Just six Miracle Drops left until the final fountain can be restored!

On the less magical side of things, Big Bro Kazuya was feeling down and wouldn't tell Mai what was bothering him. In the end, Saki found an opportunity to talk to him about it. Turns out he'd been put in charge of organising his class's contribution to the upcoming school festival, and was getting stressed by the pressure of coming up with an idea that would satisfy everyone. Naturally, Saki managed to cheer him right back up by...well, being Saki.

Fairly standard episode overall.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Space Brothers 64

So now that the truth is confirmed, I've come around to thinking that the whole premonition thing was pointless as well. Not the actual premise itself, because whatever, but the fact that it was clearly used to try to trick the reader into think that Hibito would have been the one in danger instead of who it turns out to be. As a way of creating tension, I suppose it might have worked if there was some lingering danger hanging over Mutta for the last few months... but that's just not that kind of show. It's not like a David Simon show where any character can have a target on their back and just be written off without any remorse, and knowing those rules, it makes the looming threat not really threatening.

But if the plan really is to wait 4 years until Mutta is able to go into space... well, I hope they don't run out of manga material. :p
I suppose what will happen is that the show will probably have random spurts like Gintama and just take year long breaks when needed. Assuming that the show does well enough to carry on indefinitely anyway.

cnet128

Banned
Futari wa Precure Splash Star 35

Softball episode! I honestly can't bring myself to care about this sport, but it was a pretty good episode nonetheless.

It's interesting how they're following none of the tropes that the lacrosse episodes in the original series and Max Heart tended to stick to. For one thing,
unlike how Nagisa would always win the match at the last minute, here Saki loses the match at the last minute. In the big final, as well. Naturally it's used to deliver a message about how it's trying your best that matters, not winning or losing, but it was still a surprise that they actually went that route.
It did mean that we get to see
Saki crying bitter tears of frustration after the match is over, which was pretty damn emotional. Also crying Saki is cute, but that goes without saying. All kinds of Saki are cute.

The other way in which this episode's approach differed from the tried and tested old lacrosse-episode formula was that the villains didn't interfere with the match at all. In fact, Kintoresuki was waiting patiently in the stands for the whole match, observing Saki's efforts as a member of the audience. He only confronted the Cures after everyone had left. As villains go, he's a pretty decent guy.

Also noteworthy is that the Uzaina battle in this episode, though extremely brief, looked really damn nice. The Uzaina itself was just a giant humanoid monster made of metal, but it did a lot of liquid-metal style shapeshifting action that was pretty flashy (there was a particularly cool shot when it initially appeared, with waves of liquid metal bursting up in a torrent about Kintoresuki himself, who was floating in midair with the setting sun directly behind him). And the fight itself packed in quite a few nice bits of animation, and some high-flying dynamic aerial action. APPROVED.

Five Miracle Drops remain until the final fountain can be restored!

Narag

There's something about how that hair flows around the face to give it a round impression before snapping a face that seems much more sharp that gives me a strange sense of jank.

Berserk The Golden Age Chapter III - Advent

First of all I have a confession to make. These movies are actually my first real first-hand experience with this franchise. I'm aware that probably makes me a bad person but what can ya do.

So I actually watched this last night but didn't write up anything then because, well, I felt like I had to reflect first on what I had just watched. Let me just say that I didn't go into this completely blind since I already had an idea of what was supposed to happen at this point in the story and yet, after all that and after taking the time to sleep on it and collect my thoughts on the events that I watched unfold here are my overall impressions in regards to this film:

WHAT.

THE.

EVER.

LOVING.

FUCK.

That was some sick twisted shit. Holy fuck I don't even. I am not proud to say that during that whole sequence my boner was fucking angry and disgusted at me and likewise I at it but good fucking lord Griffith is one goddamned son of a bitch. That whole sequence of events and the culmination of it all hit me like a continuous punch to the gut and I'm still unsure wether I liked it or not but one thing I can safely declare is that god fucking dammit did it leave an impression on me.

This was some straight up Red Wedding tier shit and I think I have a new manga to read now.

Jesus fucking christ Miura you magnificent sick fucking bastard. My god.

But was
Griffith justified in doing what he did?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom