• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Devil is a Part-Timer! Episode 13 The Devil and the Hero Do Some Honest Hard Work (END)
tumblr_mp66gbFEm41qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mp66gbFEm41qbxqfpo2_500.png

I think this scenario in the final episode worked good to end the series out on. It left me wanting more though was a bit open enough to let my mind wonder and think of numerous other scenarios the cast could go through.
Wish Sariel had moved in, would have been nice
. Urushiara was amazing even if always treated unfavorable by others all the time.

9 / 10 series and one that Ill definitely aim to buy once Funimation dubs it. Wholly likeable cast, interesting plot and comedy that was always welcomed openly.

And for the ending song (ep13), it was atrocious, nano.Ripe I guess could have really kept them on the backburner or reserved it for live shows and thats it, such an odd musical arrangement and what not and kind of not even pleasing to the ears :(

Ojamajo Doremi - 32

An election committee made of witches will make you win, even if you have been second place all your life,
not being a dork helps too. It's a good thing the class isn't full of idiots.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Devil is a part timer episode 13

Bit of an odd way to end the show. Overall it was alright. Wouldn't mind an S2 but if one didn't happen I wouldn't shed tears.

mAcOdIn

The thing is that not everything is hard scifi, so there's no reason why anything mechanical that you think shouldn't work could just work because of space magic.

d7Y2Prxl.jpg

I don't think any human technology could produce a basestar, but it just looks cool and different so who cares? The interiors still look exactly like any office building (or empty warehouse) we have on Earth, but there's no visible "front" or "back" and so forth.
Wait, so now you just want space magic nonsense? I mean, I don't hate the basestar design in all honesty I just thought you wanted something more concrete that looked like it had no weak spots and instead you give me a basestar that has tons of spots that are weak or undefended and it may not have a front or back but it does have a top and bottom and sure isn't ever shown fighting from those positions. So, yeah. Ok.

Sure, if you're doing a military scifi show where everyone uses American military ranks and the ships are named after US Presidents or whatever, then sure, the USS Barack Obama should probably look like a conventional starship in the way that we think of conventional starships.
What the hell does this mean? Do Canadian warships look significantly different than US warships? Russian? Chinese? I don't get why you bring up Americans specifically as if any human naval ship really looks fundamentally different. You have some "odd" stuff like catamarans, hovercrafts and the like but by and large all warships follow the same design all across the world. This isn't some exported US design philosophy either, nor is it just the result of centuries of European maritime design becoming what we're all familiar with, there's just a real reason why naval ships are designed that way the world over.

The new Chris Roberts game is basically military science fiction fetish fuel for the military tech nerds that fap over F22 schematics, and there's definitely a place for that and for conventional battles where fleets meet and people still field fighter planes for some reason. But you can also have shows that just go wacky with their designs as well.
But I don't think I'm advocating for "hard" sci-fi. I don't even really know what that truly entails because the moment you add the -fi to science it all becomes "soft," more or less, anyways. Even Chris Roberts says he's leaving some physics stuff out in dogfighting so that it'd be more fun. Hard sci-fi it's not. I don't even get the point in having a hard sci-fi designation as do any of us know how any of their propulsion shit works? Their building materials? Their weapons? In the end you're just dressing up your sci-fi with larger words but it's all just as fake. Shit, some of the technology in sci-fi might be less realistic than throwing in Gods and magic for all I know.

The only real difference I recognize in sci-fi is when they focus on the human aspect rather than the technology, which I think changes the tone significantly.

As for why you wouldn't want automated weapons, just ask Matthew Broderick in Wargames!
Don't automate them then, remote control them. It's not like futuristic spaceships are manually controlled anyways so any fear you have with a drone already exists with any other starship anyways.

But I guess there's a weird line here to me between what looks ridiculous because it's so exotic it doesn't make sense and because it's so familiar it doesn't make sense, like Yamato is guilty of the latter.
Devil is a part timer episode 13

Bit of an odd way to end the show. Overall it was alright. Wouldn't mind an S2 but if one didn't happen I wouldn't shed tears.
Eh? It was the normal anime way of ending a series though. It basically
set the stage for Emi teaming up with Maou long term with her coming to terms with her feelings on some level. It also solidified Suzuno's position now. In reality more happened in episode 13 to change and set in motion the story than the episode prior despite it having a battle between Satan and an angel, lol.
Most importantly we got to see the manager abusing people with her shoe which is worth the cost of the episode alone.

cnet128

Banned
NepNep
RKB S2
That recorder show
Plenty more I can't recall!

I'm a massive loli fan, yet none of these are on my (gigantic) list of shows to check out... Should I be watching Neptunia even though I have no experience of or intention of playing the games? Normally I wouldn't even consider it, but quite a few people here seem to be looking forward to the series, and now it's being touted as a loli series too, so I'm starting to wonder =/

Either way, I'm still going to be getting plenty of loli goodness this season. Gen'ei wo Kakeru Taiyou and Futari wa Milky Holmes will of course both be lolitastic, plus this season we have Monogatari which, while not a loli show per se, includes Mayoi, one of the most epic lolis of all time. Also there's a loli in Gatchaman Crowds who looks pretty cute.

Theonik

I'm a massive loli fan, yet none of these are on my (gigantic) list of shows to check out... Should I be watching Neptunia even though I have no experience of or intention of playing the games? Normally I wouldn't even consider it, but quite a few people here seem to be looking forward to the series, and now it's being touted as a loli series too, so I'm starting to wonder =/

Either way, I'm still going to be getting plenty of loli goodness this season. Gen'ei wo Kakeru Taiyou and Futari wa Milky Holmes will of course both be lolitastic, plus this season we have Monogatari which, while not a loli show per se, includes Mayoi, one of the most epic lolis of all time. Also there's a loli in Gatchaman Crowds who looks pretty cute.
The anime should be watchable without the games. And thanks for the reminder!

cajunator

Banned

Neptunia is super cute but its pretty much a parody of videogame console wars so thats the really fun part of it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wait, so now you just want space magic nonsense? I mean, I don't hate the basestar design in all honesty I just thought you wanted something more concrete that looked like it had no weak spots and instead you give me a basestar that has tons of spots that are weak or undefended and it may not have a front or back but it does have a top and bottom and sure isn't ever shown fighting from those positions. So, yeah. Ok.
Well, this was all born out of the fact that most shows have ships fighting on a plane instead of using the freedom of three dimensions that space offers you. That's a result of how most SF writers think of ships that "move forward" and have guns that are pointed in fixed directions like naval ships of the day. It makes sense to readers because that's sort of how we expect objects to move, because we are bound by rules of gravity and so forth.

I'd be okay with ships being boringly designed if it didn't mean that the tactics were also derived from WW2 carrier battles.

What the hell does this mean? Do Canadian warships look significantly different than US warships? Russian? Chinese? I don't get why you bring up Americans specifically as if any human naval ship really looks fundamentally different. You have some "odd" stuff like catamarans, hovercrafts and the like but by and large all warships follow the same design all across the world. This isn't some exported US design philosophy either, nor is it just the result of centuries of European maritime design becoming what we're all familiar with, there's just a real reason why naval ships are designed that way the world over.
I'm just talking about hard military scifi in general, of the Baen books variety. lol
I have nothing with guys in fancy uniforms who constantly salute each other and all that, but of course, it just leads to the same types of ships and the same types of war story retellings that we get over and over again.

But I don't think I'm advocating for "hard" sci-fi. I don't even really know what that truly entails because the moment you add the -fi to science it all becomes "soft," more or less, anyways. Even Chris Roberts says he's leaving some physics stuff out in dogfighting so that it'd be more fun. Hard sci-fi it's not. I don't even get the point in having a hard sci-fi designation as do any of us know how any of their propulsion shit works? Their building materials? Their weapons? In the end you're just dressing up your sci-fi with larger words but it's all just as fake. Shit, some of the technology in sci-fi might be less realistic than throwing in Gods and magic for all I know.

The only real difference I recognize in sci-fi is when they focus on the human aspect rather than the technology, which I think changes the tone significantly.

With Star Citizen specifically, I'm talking about this recently released "commercial":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96E3COnJW-E

Again, I have no problem with that, and it's clear that Carter has a fondness for the WW2 military fetish aesthetic - "Wing Commander" comes from the British term for CAG anyway - but if you are focused on schematics and blueprint fetishes, you're going to be bound by "realistic" design whether you want to be or not.

But I guess there's a weird line here to me between what looks ridiculous because it's so exotic it doesn't make sense and because it's so familiar it doesn't make sense, like Yamato is guilty of the latter.
Yamato is pretty ridiculous. But interestingly, it actually has the ability to fire in all directions! lol

trejo

But was
Griffith justified in doing what he did?

I'm trying to think of any scenarios in which
offering up and brutally slaughtering a group of people who were fiercely loyal to you in a selfish bid to obtain power and then raping someone in such a spiteful way to the point of causing a mental breakdown
is something that can be justified but I'm sorta drawing a blank here.

I'm sure the answer is probably going to be something dumb like
he raped Casca in front of Guts like that in order to save them
or whatever but nope.

BluWacky

This evening I watched Takashi Miike's film of Aku no Kyoten (regularly Anglicised as "Lesson of the Evil"). I mostly mention it because it's based on a novel by Yuusuke Kishi, author of From The New World.

It's something of a slasher movie, except we know the slasher in greater detail than one would normally do and he's both very clever and very, very mentally disturbed.

It all goes very Grand Guignol towards the end and it's difficult to care about anyone other than the murderer as we don't really know the other characters that well - but it's quite entertaining anyway, or perhaps as a result. It has an intriguingly hallucinogenic streak reminiscent of some of the more out-there dreams and backstory moments of FTNW, and it's just as creepy, but I suspect it really needs more than a two hour movie to give the characters anything further than the shallow characterisation they get here. Its main strength is its phenomenally charismatic central performance by Hideaki Ito.

Theonik

I'm trying to think of any scenarios in which
offering up and brutally slaughtering a group of people who were fiercely loyal to you in a selfish bid to obtain power and then raping someone in such a spiteful way to the point of causing a mental breakdown
is something that can be justified but I'm sorta drawing a blank here.

I'm sure the answer is probably going to be something dumb like
he raped Casca in front of Guts like that in order to save them
or whatever but nope.
We'll probably never know anyway as Berserk will never end at this rate.
Just accept that you're always wrong already, darkside!
Worst part is he was a VVV bro at one point.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
We'll probably never know anyway as Berserk will never end at this rate.

Worst part is he was a VVV bro at one point.

I love all of VVV except for Saki. My utter contempt and complete loathing of her has dwarfed the show entirely so now I hate the whole thing. I can't even will myself to watch the last 2 episodes at this point but I'll eventually get there.

This evening I watched Takashi Miike's film of Aku no Kyoten (regularly Anglicised as "Lesson of the Evil"). I mostly mention it because it's based on a novel by Yuusuke Kishi, author of From The New World.

I would say I'm a fan of Miike's crazier work. Granted, I've only seen Itchi the Killer and Gozu, but they definitely left an impression on me. The man does so much work that I find it difficult to figure out which films of his I should see. A friend of mine almost got a chance to see this at the LA Film Festival a week ago so it's been on my mind. It sounds like some of his more out there work for better and for worse. I'll have to keep a look out for it when it gets a BD release.

jgminto

I love all of VVV except for Saki. My utter contempt and complete loathing of her has dwarfed the show entirely so now I hate the whole thing. I can't even will myself to watch the last 2 episodes at this point but I'll eventually get there.

She's an idol that pilots a mecha. How can you not like her?

Henneko 12 (END)

A pretty decent way to end this whole time travelling event, though it felt pretty rushed like the ending of the last arc. There was lots of kid Tsukiko/King of Lewd too, so I'm more than likely dead once again.

Absolutely adore this show and it's definitely my show of the season. There was lots of cute that balanced almost too well with the amount of lewdness, and every character (except Emi) is lovable and hilarious. It was much more than what I was expecting from another JC Staff romcom LN adapation and I really hope a second season comes soon provided that there's enough source material.

Hentai Prince 12

So I guess something got explained. Maybe. Or maybe not. I don't know! Won't even question it anymore I guess.

It didn't turn out to be a completely terrible JC Staff LN adaptation, so points for that.

cajunator

Banned
Henneko 12 (END)

A pretty decent way to end this whole time travelling event, though it felt pretty rushed like the ending of the last arc. There was lots of kid Tsukiko/King of Lewd too, so I'm more than likely dead once again.

Absolutely adore this show and it's definitely my show of the season. There was lots of cute that balanced almost too well with the amount of lewdness, and every character (except Emi) is lovable and hilarious. It was much more than what I was expecting from another JC Staff romcom LN adapation and I really hope a second season comes soon provided that there's enough source material.

This show was an extremely pleasant one. cant wait to own it.

Kurita

Maybe I should watch it. I loved the drama Kagi no Kakatta Heya , which is based on the novel by this author.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I think there was a post that mentioned it in passing before but everybody totally ignored it.

Otakon will host the world premiere of the second Oreimo anime season's last three episodes on August 9 in Baltimore, Maryland. Original light novel author Tsukasa Fushimi, anime director Hiroyuki Kanbe, and ASCII Media Works editor Kazuma Miki will appear at the premiere as guests.

All three final episodes will be screened on a high-definition screen with 1,700 seats at Otakon on August 9 at 3:00 p.m. EDT. The Japanese "Chiba-rld" premiere will then be held in the anime's locale of Chiba City on August 17 at 5:00 p.m., with tickets distributed by random drawing. Crunchyroll scheduled its stream of the worldwide simultaneous release for two weeks from August 17 at 12:00 p.m. EDT to August 31.

My birthday is August 9th. Maybe I'll make the roadtrip to see Kuroneko win.

mAcOdIn

Well, this was all born out of the fact that most shows have ships fighting on a plane instead of using the freedom of three dimensions that space offers you. That's a result of how most SF writers think of ships that "move forward" and have guns that are pointed in fixed directions like naval ships of the day. It makes sense to readers because that's sort of how we expect objects to move, because we are bound by rules of gravity and so forth.

I'd be okay with ships being boringly designed if it didn't mean that the tactics were also derived from WW2 carrier battles.
I don't think that ships having a front or fixed guns means it can't engage in 3d combat. Nor do I think that ships having a forward is a result of braindead authors just copying current ship design and plopping it into space. Having a front just makes sense. Humans naturally move forward, it's what we're wired for mentally. Controlling a ship that's moving down and backwards from your physical orientation is weird. Further, propulsion is propulsion, so far every method we have and are thinking of has a very clear direction of force, backwards, so again, if an author is using any established or currently in the theorized stage type of technology to move their ships it's going to have a front because, well, the engine's moving it that way.

The gun thing, well lots of shit have turrets too! I don't see what this matters. A turret will of course have a wider range of fire but it's going to be smaller than what you could build if it were fixed. I'm sure that'll hold true well into the future.

I think the main thing in sci-fi is that it still features humans. Again, humans move forward, need gravity and we haven't figured out any method of propulsion that'd allow infinite maneuverability. Fictional ship designs are not limited by a lack of imagination but limited because in the end the ships are carrying humans and these are human stories. I can almost bet you that even if humanity discovered some kind of drive that could propel a ship in any direction they'd still make their ship have a forward because, well, they're humans!

As for military traditions, well we'd bring some of those with us, again, because we're humans. The primary theme of sci-fi is not to bring space to people but to bring people into space. We're not submitting our species to the laws and expectations of space, we're fucking squishing it's damn lack of rules under our boots. We're not modifying our bodies to live in the vacuum of space, we're building vast ships that are essentially little pieces of artificial Earth to carry us around in. In most sci-fi we're not adapting to space because to adapt to space means we'd have to give up being human so if you're setting has humans in space it's only natural ships be designed to be flyable by humans, be designed to be comfortable to humans and human traditions to be carried on, else, why make them humans in the story? Why not make them martians? Or Hideauzae?

If your story features ships with a front, fixed guns on the front and there's not a one bastard who attacks from the top or bottom like a scrub then that's a failing in the story not because the ship can't turn and fly up like a modern plane can. Clearly not all stuff plays out like ww2 carrier battles, some play out like battles between destroyer groups! I'm not sure there's more options than that but neither of those options necessitate giving up the third dimension just few write it.
I'm just talking about hard military scifi in general, of the Baen books variety. lol
I have nothing with guys in fancy uniforms who constantly salute each other and all that, but of course, it just leads to the same types of ships and the same types of war story retellings that we get over and over again.
Well, what other kinds of stories are there? I hate to tell you this but I don't think space will bring any new plots to the vault of human storytelling, just new settings.

With Star Citizen specifically, I'm talking about this recently released "commercial":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96E3COnJW-E

Again, I have no problem with that, and it's clear that Carter has a fondness for the WW2 military fetish aesthetic - "Wing Commander" comes from the British term for CAG anyway - but if you are focused on schematics and blueprint fetishes, you're going to be bound by "realistic" design whether you want to be or not.
I guess I just have a problem with calling things realistic when in reality they're just more plausible than another but not necessarily realistic.

Yamato is pretty ridiculous. But interestingly, it actually has the ability to fire in all directions! lol
Damn thing even has an anchor, lol.

cajunator

Banned
I think there was a post that mentioned it in passing before but everybody totally ignored it.

Otakon will host the world premiere of the second Oreimo anime season's last three episodes on August 9 in Baltimore, Maryland. Original light novel author Tsukasa Fushimi, anime director Hiroyuki Kanbe, and ASCII Media Works editor Kazuma Miki will appear at the premiere as guests.

All three final episodes will be screened on a high-definition screen with 1,700 seats at Otakon on August 9 at 3:00 p.m. EDT. The Japanese "Chiba-rld" premiere will then be held in the anime's locale of Chiba City on August 17 at 5:00 p.m., with tickets distributed by random drawing. Crunchyroll scheduled its stream of the worldwide simultaneous release for two weeks from August 17 at 12:00 p.m. EDT to August 31.

My birthday is August 9th. Maybe I'll make the roadtrip to see Kuroneko win.

This can only end in tears, Darkside-kun.

Theonik

I can't wait for you to watch the next 2 episodes.

Ojamajo Doremi - 34

Aiko. ;____;
The fight between Aiko parents was petty. Aiko father was sexist, asking Atsuko to stop working but not giving the option for him to stop working, and in the end fighting every time they met instead of discussing it, leading to their divorce, and in the end leaving Aiko in the same situation as the one that made her suffer that accident.
Will they ever fix the misunderstanding about Aiko mother?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
[Space Brothers] 64

:firehawk in Space

It's a piece of cake.

I don't think that ships having a front or fixed guns means it can't engage in 3d combat. Nor do I think that ships having a forward is a result of braindead authors just copying current ship design and plopping it into space. Having a front just makes sense. Humans naturally move forward, it's what we're wired for mentally. Controlling a ship that's moving down and backwards from your physical orientation is weird. Further, propulsion is propulsion, so far every method we have and are thinking of has a very clear direction of force, backwards, so again, if an author is using any established or currently in the theorized stage type of technology to move their ships it's going to have a front because, well, the engine's moving it that way.

The gun thing, well lots of shit have turrets too! I don't see what this matters. A turret will of course have a wider range of fire but it's going to be smaller than what you could build if it were fixed. I'm sure that'll hold true well into the future.

I think the main thing in sci-fi is that it still features humans. Again, humans move forward, need gravity and we haven't figured out any method of propulsion that'd allow infinite maneuverability. Fictional ship designs are not limited by a lack of imagination but limited because in the end the ships are carrying humans and these are human stories. I can almost bet you that even if humanity discovered some kind of drive that could propel a ship in any direction they'd still make their ship have a forward because, well, they're humans!
Well, I'll say that even Star Trek managed to come up with elevators that can move sideways. I'm sure there's some explanation involving magnetic fields or something that explains how elevators can move in four directions, turn on a dime, and not kill everyone in the elevator cab, but who cares? Anime has mechs that have a full range of mobility in 3d space, why not starships?

Kirk beat Khan by basically moving the Enterprise vertically, because Khan showed that he lacked three dimensional thinking. It just seems like it's a thing that people never take into account with space battles.

If anything, space battles should constantly be about trying to flank each other. Throw in the ability to go FTL and you'd think flanking should become a priority, not facing your enemy in direct combat as if you were in a joust or something silly like that.

It's strange, but the asymmetry of submarine vs destroyer combat kind of replicates this in the "real world", but of course, in space you'd have many more options.

As for military traditions, well we'd bring some of those with us, again, because we're humans. The primary theme of sci-fi is not to bring space to people but to bring people into space. We're not submitting our species to the laws and expectations of space, we're fucking squishing it's damn lack of rules under our boots. We're not modifying our bodies to live in the vacuum of space, we're building vast ships that are essentially little pieces of artificial Earth to carry us around in. In most sci-fi we're not adapting to space because to adapt to space means we'd have to give up being human so if you're setting has humans in space it's only natural ships be designed to be flyable by humans, be designed to be comfortable to humans and human traditions to be carried on, else, why make them humans in the story? Why not make them martians? Or Hideauzae?
Obviously we become Vorlons, like in Babylon 5.

If your story features ships with a front, fixed guns on the front and there's not a one bastard who attacks from the top or bottom like a scrub then that's a failing in the story not because the ship can't turn and fly up like a modern plane can. Clearly not all stuff plays out like ww2 carrier battles, some play out like battles between destroyer groups! I'm not sure there's more options than that but neither of those options necessitate giving up the third dimension just few write it.
Well, what other kinds of stories are there? I hate to tell you this but I don't think space will bring any new plots to the vault of human storytelling, just new settings.
Then everyone seems to be incompetent this season... MJP's "major battle" was contingent on creating a 'line' that the ships had to hold. But what does a line mean in 3d space?

Damn thing even has an anchor, lol.
Space anchor to fight space gravity!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom