• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Revolutionary Girl Utena 22

But there wasn't even a train! Let's both agree to NOT DISCUSS THE FACT THAT THIS MONKEY JUST TURNED INTO A BALLOON.
I know the guys who stare back into the camera are dead and all, but that still doesn't explain like, why they're shown at those precise moments. I hope they didn't JUST die in a fire, though, because that's a lot less freaky than I was expecting. Is AKIO End of the World? Hmmm. So male Utena is Professor Nemo? Kay.

Why in the fuck is the pointing Master Hand from Final Fantasy here? Is it Male Utena's turn or something? CAST A MAGIC SPELL BRA.

So is the entire Rose Bride thing a hoax? Or is it being a hoax the hoax? Also I guess that Male Anthy really is male, which makes the whole wanting to make him the Bride thing kinda wonky, since Fire Emblem taught me that boys can't be Brides. But is he also Utena's Prince, or just a guy who LOOKS like him?

BWAHAHAHA. "I like it when you give me an injection!" "I've made contracts with all 100 boys who work here!" Bwahahaha.

If the Rose Crest symbolizes a contract made with Akio, then was Akio the one who was Utena's Prince? I think not, so was her contract still with Akio, or with the Prince? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I don't get it.

Thoraxes

Photo Kano 13 END for reals this time

photokano13.jpg

yeah, real subtle

This show really should've ended at east weeks episode instead of pulling this dumb
"not-blood related"
incest crap. They really should've just given this episode to the stealth girl and called it a day. :/

A few episodes ago I would've put Suzuno over Chio but she kinda lost me towards the end.

e: okay i'm kinda creeped out now (;゚д゚) ・・・

It's okay. I'm creeped out by myself now too.

The end sealed it for me, but I was Suzuno ahead at the swimsuit ep.

There was some discussion about it when the OST was released, mostly in the vein of, this music is pretty decent when it's not being misused in inappropriate and obnoxious ways.

That is true at least. However, I haven't really gone beyond 11 to find any other errors. Just ain't cutting it.

Photokano - 13

Aw shit. Am I AnimeGAF's resident siscon? I hate that shit in real life but in anime is is fucking graaaaaavy. I'm fucked.

You're not alone in this thinking. However, standards are applied, so not just any "character" can be good for this.

PhotoKano's incest episode was not as boring and dull as most of its other character arcs, so that alone redeems it. Those one episode arcs didn't work at all.

Kagami

MJP
As much of a Yoshida fanboy that I am, going from what people here have said about SSO, my only conclusion is that she should not write any shounen/action shows because she doesn't know what she's doing.
Wait, what about Girls & Panzer?
I suppose sports is a different thing from action.

Gargantia
Or they could have just focused on what it meant to be human with the gentler scifi tropes it was using in the beginning instead of the horribly on the nose tropes being used now.
I don't think the sci-fi tropes in the latter half of the show themselves are the problem, it's just spending too much time on them, since they aren't really interesting themselves. Basically, episodes 9 through 11 needed to be cut down to two episodes instead of three. 12 was alright.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
So what's the general opinion of Fairy Tail around here? I remember liking Rave Master when I was a kid.
It's fun if you know what to expect, a basic shounen that never takes risks. Also Mashima is a better artist than Oda/Kubo/etc, so there's that.

The other day I finished watching Squid Girl. Guys, how do I fix this empty feeling my life has had since I realized I had no more to watch?

That show was pure joy condensed into 26 minute servings.

Working!

Kagami

I don't think the sci-fi tropes in the latter half of the show themselves are the problem, it's just spending too much time on them, since they aren't really interesting themselves. Basically, episodes 9 through 11 needed to be cut down to two episodes instead of three. 12 was alright.

Actually, I take that back. That's not even the problem.
The problem is the lack of Amy, Saaya, and Bellows in these episodes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think our general feelings toward Gargantia are similar but I don't agree with your takes on the twists.
The Hideazue-were-human thing has a clear purpose for affecting Ledo; as a twist for the audience it's not particularly interesting (that whole episode was boring and should have been half as long) but it works fine as a shock to Ledo. Kugel appearing gives Ledo a situation to question his beliefs head-on. Thinking Kugel is alive gives us scenes of Ledo wanting to stop what Kugel's doing but not wanting to kill him. Finding out Kugel is dead will let Ledo simply attack Striker without hesitation. I'm not entirely sure what all they want to convey with Ledo prioritizing not killing Kugel: might just be a call-back to his old bond with him, might be to contrast with wiping out pirates at the beginning, might be both, but anyway.

So all of these things are about the effect they have on Ledo. That they have side-effects of potentially surprising the audience doesn't seem very important to me, so I never viewed them as TWEEESTS. Although seeing the way so many people got excited about episode 9, obviously there are some very different ways of watching this show, haha.

I'd agree with you if there was some time to breathe between the episodes. But they essentially come one after the other, much like the nonsensical cliffhangers in VVV, and so it's hard not to just give up because it's clear that the writer has very little respect for me as an audience member.

There are so many things that just happen for the sake of the twists happening. For example,
why doesn't Ledo ask Kugel to come over to his fleet when Kugel announces himself? Why isn't the first thing he does, over comms, tell Kugel that he has figured out the secret of the Hideauze? Why isn't he at all suspicious that this new batch of humans are in fucking cloaks and essentially look like the most suspicious people in the world? If he is supposed to be happy to have found a fellow survivor, we're not given any reason as the voyeur to believe that Ledo has some kind of unconditional love for his former commander. Given that his entire world view has been shattered, all it takes is 20 minutes of being emo for him to essentially get over it. How am I supposed to buy that?

And like you said, now it's clear that it doesn't really matter at all because of the latest twist. You say that it gives Ledo free reign, but why is that any more interesting than if he was actually fighting Kugel? There are actually no stakes now because whatever the outcome, it literally doesn't matter. Short of him losing and the enemy robot taking over the world, there's nothing that can really pay off any of the revelations that have been made.

There were many interesting SciFi ideas raised in the show, but it had to become SyFy in its plotting and, well, speaking only for myself, I'm basically looking at an emotionless husk of a show that I enjoyed a mere month ago. It's like the arc of disappointment of Lost or BSG but compressed within a single anime season.

Wait, what about Girls & Panzer?
I suppose sports is a different thing from action.
Military fetishism aside, GooP was basically just K-On with tanks/sports. Like K-On, they had to rush to find members to form the club. They had to run around the school looking for tanks (or take odd jobs so that Yui could afford her guitar) in order to get the club ready. Then they had to practice in order to get ready for the battles (concert) and recruit new members before having the actual battles (concert).

Probably the overt shounen element that is put on top of the K-On layer was the family angst.

I think they could have taken one, or maybe two of the twists if they took the time to actually play out the logical outcome of the first twist.

• K-On! 12: Light Music!
Mugi's eyebrows are a thing of beauty. Sexaaayyyyy
0xhHT6C.gif

I would watch the rest of the episode but I'm dying of lack of sleep

That was incidentally the first GIF I've ever made

Kagami

Aniplex USA and Crunchyroll got Day Break Illusion. ( il sole penetra le illusioni)

Magical girls w/chuunibyou atmosphere?
Kuroneko and Kirino could watch this one together.

There must be something wrong with me as the scene came and passed I had... absolutely no reaction at all.
Same here. Had to watch it again to figure out what the heck people were talking about.
The character design isn't all that attractive but I'll give the show a shot.

School Days
The violent bad ends are the only reasons anyone has ever cared about the School Days VN. The anime was faithfully catering to its fans, trust me.
That got attention, but there's quite a bit more to the game than that.
I enjoyed the the characters, the what-if plot branching (not every ending is crazy), the general presentation (cheap, but still pulled of the presentation of watching video the whole time), and the build up to said violent endings as well as the various other endings. The interface (at least in the original, still haven't gotten around to HQ so don't know if they changed it) with the bar at the top of the screen giving you an actual idea of what your choices were doing was also a welcome change compared to all those trial-and-error novel games. Shame they ditched it for the prequel & sequel.

Valvrave
Am I the only one that got huge Card Captor Sakura vibes from VVV06?
Definitely not the only one.

Sorry, I know the excessive spoilers are very annoying
Not at all. I prefer it to a bunch of split up spoiler fragments.

Finally sat my ass down and watched the first Ghost in the Shell ARISE.

Short thoughts: I dug it. I had some issues with the visual style, but the character designs didn't bother me that much. I thought the cast was fine, but it's less my problem with their quality and more my problem with needlessly replacing the original cast.

That being the case, the writing was solid and the pacing was great. They didn't try to force a stupid amount of information/narrative into an hour long feature. The action was pretty ace too. This is definitely still Ghost in the Shell, so to that end I say bring on the rest.

Rei is meh anyway. I mean worst girl is hands down Takagi and her snaggle tooth, but in a choice between Rei and Saeko, Saeko every. DAMN. TIME.

THE REMAINDER OF MY POST CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR ZZ, Zeta, SEED, and DESTINY GUNDAM.

Crossposting this from the Gundam thread to see if anybody else has any comments.

There are other gundams with lacus clyne like characters? Hopefully daisuki gets them up

Kagami

Military fetishism aside, GooP was basically just K-On with tanks/sports. Like K-On, they had to rush to find members to form the club. They had to run around the school looking for tanks (or take odd jobs so that Yui could afford her guitar) in order to get the club ready. Then they had to practice in order to get ready for the battles (concert) and recruit new members before having the actual battles (concert).

I think you're really reaching. K-ON!(!) and GuP are polar opposites in focus.

Mr.Jeff

What's a good (or even a bad) "cute girls doing nothing" show? I'm having withdrawals already from Yuyushiki being over. I've watched YuruYuri, I've watched K-ON! (and !!), Joshiraku, SoreMachi, GuP, Tamako Market, Azumanga Diaoh and Pani Poni Dash, Kill Me Baby, probably some other stuff I can't think of at the moment and I forgot to put on MAL.
Hidamari if you've not seen it already. Aria's pretty much about nothing and by that linkage Tamayura as well. AS ZachdeK mentioned, Sketchbook is brilliant.

There's also Hyakko and G.A Art Design neither of which are great but are adequate enough. They both have bad main leads (Hirano Aya and Haruka Tomatsu respectively I think!) but the rest of it makes up for it.

Slayers TRY 21
Slayers TRY isn't AOT ever by any means, but it IS doing a fair job of turning last season's status quo on its head. Still can't wait to see Sylphiel shoe horned into the end of this season.

Despite all the hate for it, I quite enjoyed how Try wrapped things up. It's not as well paced as Next but still ultimately enjoyable. I remember next to no details about it but I do remember Syphiel turning up to be the biggest crock of shit in a long while. It's literally almost:
"Hi guys, I'm back. Oh hey Gourry. You remember you're my FIANCE right? Lina, by the way, what does Gourry mean to you? Haha, I'm just kidding, stay the fuck away from him bitch."
Subtlety of a fucking brick.

Also, has 7th died yet? Today's the day he was counting down to yeah?

Photo Kano 13
Why does the worst girl get probably the best episode, ugh.
if they were going to go all out on a sister arc in one of these shows, it should have been
at least.

I really want the soundtrack, I love the background/instrumental version of the OP.

BluWacky

GUYS IS IT IMAISHIPOCALYPSE TIME ALREADY

2 hours to go until the final episode of TTGL finishes.

I am excite. And I don't even really like, well, anything Imaishi's ever directed (not my style). There's just something about Kill La Kill that looks really interesting...

Now just watch there be no footage at all in the CM. Juuuuuust watch.

trejo

Berserk The Golden Age Chapter III - Advent

First of all I have a confession to make. These movies are actually my first real first-hand experience with this franchise. I'm aware that probably makes me a bad person but what can ya do.

So I actually watched this last night but didn't write up anything then because, well, I felt like I had to reflect first on what I had just watched. Let me just say that I didn't go into this completely blind since I already had an idea of what was supposed to happen at this point in the story and yet, after all that and after taking the time to sleep on it and collect my thoughts on the events that I watched unfold here are my overall impressions in regards to this film:

WHAT.

THE.

EVER.

LOVING.

FUCK.

That was some sick twisted shit. Holy fuck I don't even. I am not proud to say that during that whole sequence my boner was fucking angry and disgusted at me and likewise I at it but good fucking lord Griffith is one goddamned son of a bitch. That whole sequence of events and the culmination of it all hit me like a continuous punch to the gut and I'm still unsure wether I liked it or not but one thing I can safely declare is that god fucking dammit did it leave an impression on me.

This was some straight up Red Wedding tier shit and I think I have a new manga to read now.

Jesus fucking christ Miura you magnificent sick fucking bastard. My god.

Dynedom

First of all I have a confession to make. These movies are actually my first real first-hand experience with this franchise. I'm aware that probably makes me a bad person but what can ya do.

So I actually watched this last night but didn't write up anything then because, well, I felt like I had to reflect first on what I had just watched. Let me just say that I didn't go into this completely blind since I already had an idea of what was supposed to happen at this point in the story and yet, after all that and after taking the time to sleep on it and collect my thoughts on the events that I watched unfold here are my overall impressions in regards to this film:

WHAT.

THE.

EVER.

LOVING.

FUCK.

That was some sick twisted shit. Holy fuck I don't even. I am not proud to say that during that whole sequence my boner was fucking angry and disgusted at me and likewise I at it but good fucking lord Griffith is one goddamned son of a bitch. That whole sequence of events and the culmination of it all hit me like a continuous punch to the gut and I'm still unsure wether I liked it or not but one thing I can safely declare is that god fucking dammit did it leave an impression on me.

This was some straight up Red Wedding tier shit and I think I have a new manga to read now.

YesJackNicholson.gif

I dunno, I mean, Judau survived and so did Shinn so not EVERYONE.
Well shiin is alive but was converted after the big spanking jesus yamato gave him. He's part of the lacus forces now. ( it's how i see it )
Ah. Is he some kinda detective? Looks like a cop.

Slayers TRY 22

So Xellos betrays the people he was betraying the people to betray the people for. No one is surprised that Xellos is a traitor because he's XELLOS. Amelia subdues him for a few minutes literally using the power of friendship. Lina gets her hands on the Bow of Light and it is OP as hell. I mean even more OP than Gourry's Sword of Light, which is saying something, because Gourry's Sword of Light is a hilariously OP weapon that he usually doesn't use to its fullest because he's GOURRY.
Xellos betraying someone ? lol

You realise that he wasn't even serving hellmaster in the "NEXT" season , right ? That's right he was like Ocelot From MGS but in the Slayers universe ..The guy is a natural double/triple agent.

WHAT.

THE.

EVER.

LOVING.

FUCK.

Just start reading the manga ! You have been initiated, now it's time for you to get the full story !

trejo

Actually guys, I think right now I'd rather watch the absolute HNNNGest of the HNNNG in an attempt to cleanse my palate and also perhaps my soul.

Where's Cajun? I have need of him to recommend some of his strongest stuff.

Andrew J.

This blows my mind to pieces, but . . . I'm kind of okay with it. I mean, Euphemia was definitely making a bid for more power right before the end there.

Hmmmmm.

If Euphemia is Haman, does this make Suzaku Glemy, Char, or Judau?

Suzaku is definitely the Judau/Kira analogue. As for Char/Athrun...how does that joke go? "Lelouch is nothing like Char Aznable! He's just a siscon who put on a mask to avenge a dead parent!"

Theonik

Actually guys, I think right now I'd rather watch the absolute HNNNGest of the HNNNG in an attempt to cleanse my palate and also perhaps my soul.

Watch Henneko or Acchi Kocchi

cnet128

Banned
You say that it gives Ledo free reign

rein

I second Theonik's suggestions of Henneko and Acchi Kocchi. Alternatively, for a slightly different brand of mind-melting adorableness, have you seen Hanamaru Kindergarten?

fertygo

SNAFU 13

3V9SVOS.jpg

This is some freak show shit

Well, this far more entertaining than I thought.. watching this for refreshing after a ton of mecha show maybe also help.

I don't expecting this being basically BATMAN : The Harem though

Hope we get S2 and with better budget, hope its also give focus to Hayama (chairman Gordon) and Batman dynamic, I'm enjoying their ideology struggle. Wow I'm expecting too much from Light Novel Show.

Stuart444

Photokano - 13

Final episode. Some fan service but it was overall a cute episode. Enjoyed Photokano though I wish it had been a 24 - 26 ep anime with two episodes per girl instead of the way it's been but oh well.

Railgun - 12

Great episode, love seeing the Index stuff with a higher budget. Looks so much better.

Next episode looks like Touma finds out the horrible truth as to who Misaka' 'sisters' were and the episode also looks to focus on Accelerator.

Having not seen the Manga, I am estimating 2 more episodes til the arc finishes.

Hoping an Index III is confirmed after Railgun S is done. I've been waiting since Index II finished :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom