• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
gLT1dHO.jpg

Yea this design is not working out for me. I like her outfit but the face itself is too manly. Dat jawline. I can understand going for the stern look but it just hasn't clicked.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Toradora! 21

So what's gonna happen Ryuuji? What's your choice? You better make right one, man.

After like 20 episodes of keeping it bottled in and
a secret between you and Taiga, you just blurt out your secret to your three school buddies, two of which are pieces of crap? Yeah okay, Ryuuji. GG NO RE.

THIS IS BAD PLAN. ABORT. ABORT. ABORT.

Ami you're still a bitch but at least you're honest about shit.

Man you could cut this tension with a knife.

....oh fuck. FUCK.

...hnnngggg my heart....

mAcOdIn

Well, I'll say that even Star Trek managed to come up with elevators that can move sideways. I'm sure there's some explanation involving magnetic fields or something that explains how elevators can move in four directions, turn on a dime, and not kill everyone in the elevator cab, but who cares? Anime has mechs that have a full range of mobility in 3d space, why not starships?
Well, I think there's a big difference between an elevator and a spaceship. We can probably build an elevator that moves horizontally and vertically today with magnets.

Kirk beat Khan by basically moving the Enterprise vertically, because Khan showed that he lacked three dimensional thinking. It just seems like it's a thing that people never take into account with space battles.

If anything, space battles should constantly be about trying to flank each other. Throw in the ability to go FTL and you'd think flanking should become a priority, not facing your enemy in direct combat as if you were in a joust or something silly like that.

It's strange, but the asymmetry of submarine vs destroyer combat kind of replicates this in the "real world", but of course, in space you'd have many more options.
Well I agree with this but it's not because of the design of the ships they don't do this but the writing. Although, you might really like Starship Operators, as was previously mentioned, it has all kinds of ships, even a submarine equivalent and each battle's approached pretty differently.

Also though, regarding battling in a 2d plane, is that really what happens so often? I think it's important to realize that in space there is no up, no real definite z-axis, so ultimately, unless one side is totally incompetent or for some reason just can not see or detect you coming then ultimately they will also turn to face you and no matter what way you slice it the battle will turn into a 2d plane. Does that make sense? I'm not excusing the lack of trying to get free hits in on the top, bottom, flank or rear of ships but ultimately, if two ships were to meet in space, with one coming from straight down on top of the other that ship will either maneuver away turning it into some kind of chase, which is common, or turn to face it and attack it itself, either way the battle would now resemble the same type of battle that aggravates you.
Obviously we become Vorlons, like in Babylon 5.
But I don't want, wait, I'll be dead by then, do whatever you want to your bodies future humans.
Then everyone seems to be incompetent this season... MJP's "major battle" was contingent on creating a 'line' that the ships had to hold. But what does a line mean in 3d space?
Your first problem there is watching Majestic Prince. I don't really see what you expect from it.
Space anchor to fight space gravity!
Well, a space anchor isn't the dumbest idea in the world but designing it just like a normal naval anchor was pretty silly.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Gargantia 12:

I really want to kick firehawk's ass right now for actually predicting the twist.

I know that I said a couple of weeks ago that it would cheapen the climax for me if
the final boss was an AI, because the entire show has been about binary contrasts and so I liked the idea of Ledo encountering someone who made the opposite choices that he did under the same circumstances
. The episode managed to mitigate some of my concern because
this was actually the case for Kugel until he died
, and I can just force myself to accept the rest. I suppose it's just as well that the final confrontation is
less of a moral confrontation now and simply hey let's stop this fucking thing from blowing up Gargantia; I really didn't want to see Ledo's change in worldview justified by might making right anyway.
Ledo pretty much already has his resolution, he just has to save the day now.

I'm not going to say anything that people haven't said a million times about Gargantia already: it's orthodox, it's kind of heavy-handed, it's too short to satisfactorily explore all of the themes that it's juggling. I still think that it's been a competently-told tale, though, and as long as the finale doesn't shit itself with some kind of troll end, I'll be happy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well I agree with this but it's not because of the design of the ships they don't do this but the writing. Although, you might really like Starship Operators, as was previously mentioned, it has all kinds of ships, even a submarine equivalent and each battle's approached pretty differently.
Eternal backlog!

Also though, regarding battling in a 2d plane, is that really what happens so often? I think it's important to realize that in space there is no up, no real definite z-axis, so ultimately, unless one side is totally incompetent or for some reason just can not see or detect you coming then ultimately they will also turn to face you and no matter what way you slice it the battle will turn into a 2d plane. Does that make sense? I'm not excusing the lack of trying to get free hits in on the top, bottom, flank or rear of ships but ultimately, if two ships were to meet in space, with one coming from straight down on top of the other that ship will either maneuver away turning it into some kind of chase, which is common, or turn to face it and attack it itself, either way the battle would now resemble the same type of battle that aggravates you.
I figure at some point, you need to have ships hammering each other. Fine. But at least put more effort into it! Pretend that you have a wider range of options available to you!

But I don't want, wait, I'll be dead by then, do whatever you want to your bodies future humans.
You don't want to be a space ghost? lol

Your first problem there is watching Majestic Prince. I don't really see what you expect from it.
Although VVV relies on its mechs, the starships kind of just sit there and face the space module thing head on. That idiotic formation plays a part in the penultimate episode of the series, although it's not explained as a failure of strategy or general incompetence (although it should be... but then again, this is VVV, so who cares).

Well, a space anchor isn't the dumbest idea in the world but designing it just like a normal naval anchor was pretty silly.
It's funny though. The Yamato as a starship is such a dumb idea... but it's precisely because it's going into space that you could basically fly around a battleship in space as if it were nothing. lol

Ojamajo Doremi - 35

Tell us why you are auditioning...
9jBLCsW.jpg

Well, that's a good reason, I heard idols can eat steak everyday.

I got what I asked for,
now Tamaki Reika has someone to share the antagonist role.
Did Onpu-chan
really need to use magic to win, when both Doremi and Tamaki Reika already made a mess of themselves and proved they aren't professional.

Dresden

Neither of you answered the question. Do you think she is supposed to look attractive?

A strong jaw has always been a pretty masculine trait. I think the intent behind her design is clear, and it doesn't involve being moe. She's stern, commanding.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Toradora! 21

So what's gonna happen Ryuuji? What's your choice? You better make right one, man.

After like 20 episodes of keeping it bottled in and
a secret between you and Taiga, you just blurt out your secret to your three school buddies, two of which are pieces of crap? Yeah okay, Ryuuji. GG NO RE.

THIS IS BAD PLAN. ABORT. ABORT. ABORT.

Ami you're still a bitch but at least you're honest about shit.

Man you could cut this tension with a knife.

....oh fuck. FUCK.

...hnnngggg my heart....

You're getting close! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

iVF0m28xOI9Ef.gif

Jarmel

Banned
A strong jaw has always been a pretty masculine trait. I think the intent behind her design is clear, and it doesn't involve being moe. She's stern, commanding.

Yes, I agree that she's supposed to be stern. That said, stern doesn't equate to masculinity. Now she might be a more physical/aggressive fighter and that might explain the masculinity.

Shergal

I don't have a problem with the design, but the specific drawing in the PV could be better, I think. But again, I don't like the colouring on that shot so that may be playing a part.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't even get what you are arguing. Honestly it is confusing.

Not really. My main point was that she was designed to be attractive on some level and the jaw was a negative in regards to looks. That said, there may be something in context that may explain her looking more masculine but it's just a sticking point when looking at the character designs.

I don't have a problem with the design, but the specific drawing in the PV could be better, I think. But again, I don't like the colouring on that shot so that may be playing a part.

I'm not wild about the coloring either.

cajunator

Banned
Indeed, now if only some company would make a figure of her, totally unfair that Toobitchy, Tohka, and Yoshino get ones before she does.

The Toobitchy and Tohka figures suck so far. the only one getting good ones is yoshino (and I preordered that one already)
The instant Kurumi gets a good one though, and I dont care what the price is, Im there.

Dresden

Not really. My main point was that she was designed to be attractive on some level and the jaw was a negative in regards to looks. That said, there may be something in context that may explain her looking more masculine but it's just a sticking point when looking at the character designs.
The context is in every piece of info that's come out of the project, regarding her role in the world and in relation to Ryuko.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Not really. My main point was that she was designed to be attractive on some level and the jaw was a negative in regards to looks.
Do you expect everything that's supposed to be attractive to appeal to you personally?

Blusby

The Toobitchy and Tohka figures suck so far. the only one getting good ones is yoshino (and I preordered that one already)
The instant Kurumi gets a good one though, and I dont care what the price is, Im there.
This Wonfes, believe! Also finished Snafu and Hataraku, why did they have to leave me?
At least hataraku looks like it'll get a second season. Snafu though, adapted most of the novels, Brain's Base, hehehe no more Snafu for me ever!

I'm trying to think of any scenarios in which
offering up and brutally slaughtering a group of people who were fiercely loyal to you in a selfish bid to obtain power and then raping someone in such a spiteful way to the point of causing a mental breakdown
is something that can be justified but I'm sorta drawing a blank here.

I'm sure the answer is probably going to be something dumb like
he raped Casca in front of Guts like that in order to save them
or whatever but nope.

There is onething that he is obvious:
caska was raped only because grifith was jealous. I guess being reborn as a apostole does that

Jarmel

Banned
Do you expect everything that's supposed to be attractive to appeal to you personally?

It depends on the intentions of the artist and what they were going for.

The context is in every piece of info that's come out of the project, regarding her role in the world and in relation to Ryuko.

Obviously she gives off the stern vibes, however I'm not sure if the masculine vibes are supposed to be there. If it's intentional then fine.

Space Brothers 64:
That was a moving piece of television. There weren't really any surprises, but every scene was just executed perfectly. The scene where
Sharon tries to write down the contact information and realizes she can't control her hands
was just a perfect and sad scene.
It doesn't just resonate with illness itself, but also with the simple idea of growing old and finding that you can no longer control your body the way you once could.
This is really not the kind of material we see often in anime, but it's wonderful here.

There were so many other great scenes in the episode, both those which held tragedy as well as some with joy or happiness.
Sharon's facial expressions when she finds out about the injury, and then talks to Serika were great. That scene was perfect without even needing to have any dialogue. I also loved Hibito's scene sitting around the house and the scene of Sharon on the plane trying to write something simple. And it goes without saying that the ending scene was very joyful, with the double reveal of it being a piece of cake.
Simply a fantastic piece of television on every level (aside from the awful looking driving).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom