• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafe

That Persona 4 Arena final at CEO came off as confusing. Hopefully the organizers knew what was going on. The second prize trophy though was a Gurren Lagann Yoko body pillow, haha!

7zPZS88.jpg

I just quickly decided to take a screen capture in the moment so I apologize for the lower quality image.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
okay I gotta just finish this show

Toradora! 22

this show...my heart...It's not as bad as Clannad but jesus.

No Taiga...lonely Ryuuji hits way too close to home.

heQatPs.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA FUCK YEAH MINORIN

YES
SHE'S BACK BITCHES

No come on man. You know that's not the right fucking choice. Come on! ARGGGG.

That Persona 4 Arena final at CEO came off as confusing. Hopefully the organizers knew what was going on. The second prize trophy though was a Gurren Lagann Yoko body pillow, haha!

7zPZS88.jpg

I just quickly decided to take a screen capture in the moment so I apologize for the lower quality image.

Jebailey is a huge troll.

Narag

Attack on Titan 11

Ac7xFpc.gif

The only thing more bizarre than the music at the end was Mikasa's face in one of the cuts.
At least it ended well.

Defuser

The way they made this show is weird... its like they expect everyone to remember shit from a show/ln from years ago.
So far the only thing that first time watchers would not get is why the satellite got destroyed and why touma is acting weird unless they watched index . Other than that the show is fine on its own and the show is trying to expand out to give more info than what the manga has done so far.

mAcOdIn

The way they made this show is weird... its like they expect everyone to remember shit from a show/ln from years ago.
This is like harping on the Dark Tower series from Stephen King that had years before each release because no one could remember what happened.

Damn internet generation has horrible long term memory.
Eternal backlog!
Well, stop doing that, it's better than Majestic Prince and yet you're watching it?
I figure at some point, you need to have ships hammering each other. Fine. But at least put more effort into it! Pretend that you have a wider range of options available to you!
I don't think it's about a real wide range of options at all times just a wide range of options for an opening attack.
You don't want to be a space ghost? lol
I thought they were space angels?
Although VVV relies on its mechs, the starships kind of just sit there and face the space module thing head on. That idiotic formation plays a part in the penultimate episode of the series, although it's not explained as a failure of strategy or general incompetence (although it should be... but then again, this is VVV, so who cares).
I don't know what you're talking about but again, you're talking about something that's basically garbage. You're harping on sci-fi and bringing VVV and MJP to the discussion, two epic losers in a niche genre, sci-fi, in a outcast medium catering to children, man children and men who like children, anime, in a format that's not really known for quality sci-fi these days, television. And of that niche, of a niche of a niche product you find fault with two of the dumbest shows in recent memory and use them to paint a swath over the entire industry.

It's not even that I disagree with you, just, what do you expect with the crap you're watching? Did either of these shows ever present themselves as serious or imaginative works worthy of bearing the weight of all of sci-fi tv, let alone just anime? Have any of the writers involved ever given any indication or shown a knack for writing good sci-fi? Lol, no. Ichirō Ōkouchi, who shares my birthday, is about the closest person on there regarding space shit and the only good thing he's done in space was an adaption of Planetes.

I bemoan a lot of shit here but this is akin to me watching Oreimo and then going around and bitching about how crappy romance anime is. Which it is but do I really wanna hold up Oreimo as its flag-bearer?

I think lots of people are waiting and wanting a good sci-fi anime but sometimes you gotta temper your expectations and know when to actually expect something from a show.

It's funny though. The Yamato as a starship is such a dumb idea... but it's precisely because it's going into space that you could basically fly around a battleship in space as if it were nothing. lol
what?

7zPZS88.jpg

Maybe I should have gotten good at Persona 4 Arena.

Or actually got the game at all...

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Toradora! 23

Valentine's Day, you say? OHOHO popcorn.gif

Taiga is really
trying to push that distance. I think she actually knows.

Now do you see, Taiga?!
You're just pushing him away and he's pushing you away. Do you really want that?

oh shit

GO

FUCKING

GET

HER

ARRRGGGGG

Narag

Attack on Titan 12

Mikasa blush. hng

Can't believe how much of a wall this hit though. Maybe it's symbolic and the plot only advances when the Titans do. /wrist.

jbug617

Banned
I missed you guys this week from my week ban. It's much safer in here. Any big news this week?

Oreimo 13

The episode almost makes me feel sorry for Kirino. What a change in her character as the episode went on. I guess this is it till August.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Toradora! 23

Valentine's Day, you say? OHOHO popcorn.gif

Taiga is really
trying to push that distance. I think she actually knows.

Now do you see, Taiga?!
You're just pushing him away and he's pushing you away. Do you really want that?

oh shit

GO

FUCKING

GET

HER

ARRRGGGGG

YES YES YES HERE WE GOOOOOOOOOOOOO :D :D

cajunator

Banned
Reading the Doki Doki Precure spoilers...

I DONT KNOW HOW TO FEEL! FUCK

Shit. Agh. AGGH Having a shrine was too much huh!?
Its like getting rid of the only good thing in the show then getting something I have zero fucks about. Might as well be worse than Max Heart now.

Now now, it cant possibly sink THAT LOW.

I am watching the last of Chihayafuru and Hatarkou Mao Sama in a bit. I feel like shit!

This season has been pretty good to the point where Ill actually miss most of the shows I watched.

I saw it months ago actually, I just didn't feel comfortable about posting it until now.

Just checked, back in November last year. LOL

Just post it on a weekday at night. It will get buried in seconds.

I'm on the fence about Kill La Kill. On the one hand it kinda looks okay. On the other hand all this hype is bound to go straight downward.

Hyped up shows fall very hard around here. Its kind of funny.

I'm going to miss Muromi-san.

Im going to miss Excel Mermaids too.

Detective Conan 233:
This is one of the most hilariously low stakes cases ever, but the episode is still really good because it has a lot of scenes with Conan and Haibara reeling from the recent events. Haibara has spiraled down into despair after believing that the Organization is back on the trail, and she has some great lines here. It's also funny when she starts comparing herself to Marie Antoinette and wants someone to react after she gets guillotined. The fact that there's some dumb mystery involving a missing dog is pretty much entirely irrelevant, as this episode is all about the characters and how their dealing with recent events. Conan at this point still seems rather unconcerned about the events on the bus, but I guess he just hasn't gotten completely awakened to everything going on around him yet.

Tenumi

Banned
*Yawn* After being gone all day, doesn't look like I missed much of anything. I'm looking forward to catching up and finishing HenNeko, Muromi-san, DokiDoki Precure(Hopefully), and maybe watch some more YuruYuri or Motto To Love-ru
and not nearly get myself into trouble this time!

jbug617

Banned
HENNEKO 12

Very good show this season. When it began I wasn't really feeling it but it got better as the show went on.
You can tell Yokodera was going to sacrifice his memories.

Ojamajo Doremi - 38

To think some episodes ago I had changed my opinion about Kotake, but him and Kimura were jerks
driving Ryota-kun into a corner with their
otaku, otaku, otaku!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
OH MAN HERE WE FUCKING GO. HOLD ON TO YOUR HEARTSTRINGS FOLKS

Toradora! 24

oh man...
Taiga and Ryuuji were fucking right
...right in the fucking heart...

okay man. this is your shot.
don't let her go. whatever you fucking do DON'T LET HER GO.
oh shit this out of nowhere

A similarly Clannad message...with the humor of the series too. So good.

w...what...dude...fuck yeah! :')

OH GOD JUST FUCKING SAY IT

oh man...this is fucking show...

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
OreImo 13:

OreImo13_zpsb2af4dcd.jpg

I'm sure this is how most of GAF views us...

Well... at least we got a little info on Kirino and why she is the way she is. But yeah, she's embarrassing as fuck, glad that all the people in the store were reacting as such.

And now we wait for....

*ugh*

cajunator

Banned

7zPZS88.jpg

Did people purposefully try to come in second?

Oreimo s2 end

Why would you end the season on a flashback episode!?

You just got Aniplex'd

*Yawn* After being gone all day, doesn't look like I missed much of anything. I'm looking forward to catching up and finishing HenNeko, Muromi-san, DokiDoki Precure(Hopefully), and maybe watch some more YuruYuri or Motto To Love-ru
and not nearly get myself into trouble this time!

So much good stuff lately. You've been busy.

It feels like it did. Doesn't help that I'm watching this at a once a week pacing, which I didn't have to worry about with Max Heart.

So watching Doki doki is like taking shots, whereas watching Max Heart was downing the whole fuckin bottle?

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu

7zPZS88.jpg

Screw money (assuming that's what the first place prize is). I'd lose on purpose to get that.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
OH MAN HERE WE FUCKING GO. HOLD ON TO YOUR HEARTSTRINGS FOLKS

Toradora! 24

oh man...
Taiga and Ryuuji were fucking right
...right in the fucking heart...

okay man. this is your shot.
don't let her go. whatever you fucking do DON'T LET HER GO.
oh shit this out of nowhere

A similarly Clannad message...with the humor of the series too. So good.

w...what...dude...fuck yeah! :')

OH GOD JUST FUCKING SAY IT

oh man...this is fucking show...

This is probably a little too late and you've probably already started watching the last episode now, but watch past the credits. This is important.

The World God Only Knows - S2 Episode 4

I really need to finish this season before the next season premieres and this was the episode I left off on a long time ago. First of all I might dislike having a
second reaper, angel, soul stealer (I forgot what they are called) following Keima around but I'll deal with it.
Also I love how Keima just sits their and say "I'm just an innocent bystander," lol. A decent episode, though I'm not used to the action in this show.

Oh yeah I almost forgot to mention, I liked the first season's opening better then this season's. First season's opening was great.

Branduil

Attack on Titan 13

Man, it's really sad what happened to this show; the rushed schedule has really impacted the potential of the show. Even in this episode there were a number of incoherently edited scenes that were obviously not finished in time for airing. And what makes it sad is that it's obvious that this is a labor of love for a lot of the people working on this show, but there's just not enough time for them to realize their efforts. Hopefully the show is profitable enough and the producers have enough vision to release a Director's Cut with a bunch of stuff fixed some time in the future.

That said, this was a substantially better episode than the previous ones in pretty much every way. The pacing was finally good, and the climactic moment of the arc was handled with the appropriate care and gave the proper feeling of
desperate sacrifice and triumph.

I really don't think a week is enough of a break to get everything back on track. We'll see how well it works, and if the pacing goes off the rails again.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - 5

Holy crap, it's like this show walks right into another anime with every episode. Here we have the classic: "Heroes are mistaken for gods" trope, but instead it's played in a very unique way.

We have Kamina pissed with the way things work there, and here I thought that this priest dude was going to end up becoming the old "I've been lying for years because I'm a jackass" villain cliché. But actually no. Instead they portray him as a man who deeply cares for the people deep down, and does not want the people to know that they're being sent to die.

So what does he do? Make the surface appear to be a wonderful place where people chosen by the gods go. No one has to know of the suffering. Cruel, but what else can they do in a place like that with its limited resources? They did a really great job with that dilemma.

I love the show's way of pacing in events in between episodes. I love how the characters are actually doing interesting things while continuing on in their goal. It's like if the million filler episodes of Pokémon actually had good stories to them.

But then again, this is only the fifth episode. Here's hoping it stays on this route.

This is like harping on the Dark Tower series from Stephen King that had years before each release because no one could remember what happened.

pfff w/e. Which is why I'm slowing reading the index ln's now lol. So much bullshit per page. It's like index's problem, My brain can't store all this bullshit!

*wipes brain*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom