• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
This is probably a little too late and you've probably already started watching the last episode now, but watch past the credits. This is important.

Noted! HERE COME THE END

Toradora! 25 END

god this episode way too fucking cute...my poor heart...

antMsMy.jpg

...my heart can't take this shit...it's almost like when (clannad spoiler)
Nagisa died in Clannad

WHAT IS ON THAT LETTER

Okay, now that's fucking cute as all hell

10/10

my heart hurts

jbug617

Banned
Noted! HERE COME THE END

Toradora! 25 END

antMsMy.jpg

...my heart can't take this shit...it's almost like when
Nagisa died in Clannad

WHAT IS ON THAT LETTER

10/10

my heart hurts

such a great show. The author of Toradora just got one his novel greenlight for an anime. It's called Golden Time and should debut this year so I'm hoping of some Toradora magic to be in that story.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Noted! HERE COME THE END

Toradora! 25 END

antMsMy.jpg

...my heart can't take this shit...it's almost like when
Nagisa died in Clannad

WHAT IS ON THAT LETTER

10/10

my heart hurts

Get used to that pain. It'll last for weeks, just like it did for me.

The kiss though, man. The kiss. Oh my god my heart.

Also, can I tell you the LN ending? It's basically the same thing, but slightly different.

Basically, the only difference is that Taiga doesn't leave Ryuji for OVER A YEAR like in the anime. Instead she's only gone for about three months, then she comes back and graduates with Ryuji and the rest of the class. I really wish the anime used that ending. Having Taiga be gone for over a year just hurt my heart. I felt so bad for Ryuji. ;_;

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Get used to that pain. It'll last for weeks, just like it did for me.

The kiss though, man. The kiss. Oh my god my heart.

Also, can I tell you the LN ending? It's basically the same thing, but slightly different.

Basically, the only difference is that Taiga doesn't leave Ryuji for OVER A YEAR like in the anime. Instead she's only gone for about three months, then she comes back and graduates with Ryuji and the rest of the class. I really wish the anime used that ending. Having Taiga be gone for over a year just hurt my heart. I felt so bad for Ryuji. ;_;

I don't think it will haunt me as long as Clannad but yeah.

Naw this is better. MORE BITTERSWEET. I NEED MY HEARTACHES

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ojamajo Doremi - 34

Aiko. ;____;
The fight between Aiko parents was petty. Aiko father was sexist, asking Atsuko to stop working but not giving the option for him to stop working, and in the end fighting every time they met instead of discussing it, leading to their divorce, and in the end leaving Aiko in the same situation as the one that made her suffer that accident.
Will they ever fix the misunderstanding about Aiko mother?
There's more to the story.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Do you really have to start this again? You're to the point of trolling, now.
How is it trolling? Steins;Gate in its original format has distinctive and prolific voice actors that are simply irreplaceable.

CorvoSol

To be entirely fair, I find Zaptruder's comments easy to sympathize with. My experience with Revolutionary Girl Utena has been a lot like a High School English class. Regulus and Hito are the professor, and I'm the poor student trying to wrap his brain around why a giant white rose is spinning or what could possibly be so significant about an increasing number of black cats who are decreasing in size and what relationship this has with getting NTRd by a guy who looks like a guy who might be a girl and looks like another girl and in spite of that other girl being his sister and both sharing incredible physical similarities with the other guy, are apparently not related to him since he's related to the lady who was being used in the aforementioned NTR scheme who does not look like this guy. And all of these people, said lady excluded, look like a Prince that a girl met when she was small.

And they all look like a Brazilian woman who died during an attack by a clone of a little boy from a far away planetary system in an effort to recapture the machine necessary to save said system.

THIS IS BARELY SCRATCHING THE SURFACE OF UTENA. Not even talking about the balloons and stop watches and hilts and suggestive unsheathing and goodness knows what else.

When like, everything is symbolic in the show you kind of begin to wonder what, if anything, is real in the show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aku no Hana fin
LKT14x5l.jpg

No, don't be sorry. I embrace the shit eating future.

It's insane. For an episode where literally nothing happens, the tension hangs in the air like the most suspenseful horror film ever made. The opening scene is five god damn minutes long, and unlike Attack on Titan which uses five minutes to recap the show in order to fill time, each second of those five minutes feels so purposeful and exacting. Even the placement of the OP is such a perfect beat, because it differs the release of that tension for a further 90 seconds, before we get an extremely powerful and beautiful release.

Then we get a god damn
flashback montage that spills into a preview montage, culminating with the biggest event from the manga and ending with quite possibly the most exciting cliffhanger title card that I've seen in ages.
Spoiler but not really: http://i.imgur.com/mQMLfspl.jpg

I just can't believe it. I talk about adaptations that are slavish to the manga and don't take their medium into account. Aku no Hana just spits in the face of most anime adaptations, playing with the form and using it to tell the story in the way that is best for 20 minute television. Each episode feels like a masterpiece, culminating in a thirteen episode series that is just glorious.

If there are people who dropped this because of the rotoscoping or whatever, then I'm sorry. They missed out on what is basically the Hyouka of this season year.

Tenumi

Banned
How is it trolling? Steins;Gate in its original format has distinctive and prolific voice actors that are simply irreplaceable.

It is trolling because you are dismissing something without experience from both sides of the argument. It is trolling because you refuse to understand that people have opinions that differ from yours. It is trolling because you immediately run down someone's opinion as if your own is better and is fact.

That is what you are doing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's not even that I disagree with you, just, what do you expect with the crap you're watching? Did either of these shows ever present themselves as serious or imaginative works worthy of bearing the weight of all of sci-fi tv, let alone just anime? Have any of the writers involved ever given any indication or shown a knack for writing good sci-fi? Lol, no. Ichirō Ōkouchi, who shares my birthday, is about the closest person on there regarding space shit and the only good thing he's done in space was an adaption of Planetes.

As someone who doesn't like to actually go into the backlog, it's what I have. I'm watching Falling Skies and Defiance for Pete's sake, because beggars can't be choosers. :p

At least I have Yamato, but the release schedule is so weird and the Japanese fans are so fucking stingy that spoilers from the theatrical screenings are all I have to live on until late July or whenever the next batch of episodes comes out.

I guess I was right to skip it then.
Well, there are no ginormous breasts I suppose. lol

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Muromi-san 13 (END):

Man, I'm really going to miss this ;_; Anime comedies that are actually tolerable are rare enough as it is, and Muromi-san had an energetic visual style and consistently snappy direction that really helped to pick up the slack during the times when the jokes themselves fell short. Yoshihara Tatsuya really redeemed himself after how awful Arve Rezzle was and I look forward to seeing where he goes in the future.

Preemptive fuck otaku for not buying the BDs and ensuring that we never get any more.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
See kids, this is your brain on K-on.
Now that's just being silly!

Muromi-san 13 (END):

Man, I'm really going to miss this ;_; Anime comedies that are actually tolerable are rare enough as it is, and Muromi-san had an energetic visual style and consistently snappy direction that really helped to pick up the slack during the times when the jokes themselves fell short. Yoshihara Tatsuya really redeemed himself after how awful Arve Rezzle was and I look forward to seeing where he goes in the future.

Preemptive fuck otaku for not buying the BDs and ensuring that we never get any more.
It helps that the episodes were less than 10 minutes long, once you account for the OP/ED.

dimb

It is trolling because you are dismissing something without experience from both sides of the argument.
Conjecture. I have poked around the dub. It is inferior. I even checked it out again right now. They mispronounce the main character's name in the first minute.
It is trolling because you refuse to understand that people have opinions that differ from yours.
Obviously I realize they are different. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to acknowledge their inferiority.
It is trolling because you immediately run down someone's opinion as if your own is better and is fact.
My opinion is also just an opinion, and it holds little to no real weight. Relax. At least here I can substantiate why the sub is better. If someone is able to articulate why the dub is better beyond the fact that the English speaking world doesn't have to read I might understand more.

cj_iwakura

Conjecture. I have poked around the dub. It is inferior. I even checked it out again right now. They mispronounce the main character's name in the first minute.

Obviously I realize they are different. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to acknowledge their inferiority.

My opinion is also just an opinion, and it holds little to no real weight. Relax. At least here I can substantiate why the sub is better. If someone is able to articulate why the dub is better beyond the fact that the English speaking world doesn't have to read I might understand more.

It takes extensive ADR work to give Kyouma dialogue that verbose and have it flow as well as it does.

Tenumi

Banned
It is inferior

Opinion. Not Fact.

You can't even try to make a point without sounding so superior about it?

I have tried in the past, but you don't listen. I'm tired of this. Its obvious you aren't going to change your opinion nor seriously listen to that of others. All I can tell you is, think about how translations work. Think about the work that needs to be done in dubs, as far as matching both translation and footage. And also, think about the various ways that lines can be translated and interpreted, both correctly and incorrectly.

Flowers of evil 13 Finale

Can't wait for the fanservice OVA!

Now I've just got the shows that I didn't pick up that I need to marathon. Which is the better comedy, Muromi or Valvrave?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have tried in the past, but you don't listen. I'm tired of this. Its obvious you aren't going to change your opinion nor seriously listen to that of others. All I can tell you is, think about how translations work. Think about the work that needs to be done in dubs, as far as matching both translation and footage. And also, think about the various ways that lines can be translated and interpreted, both correctly and incorrectly.
Here's something that is purely objective. Since most US dubs have the actors record their lines separately, there is basically no chemistry between the actors. If nothing else, the performances are different because of that... it's the main reason why I don't listen to dubs anyway.

Flowers of evil 13 Finale

Can't wait for the fanservice OVA!

Now I've just got the shows that I didn't pick up that I need to marathon. Which is the better comedy, Muromi or Valvrave?

Muromi is funny because of jokes. VVV is funny because of plot.

dimb

You can't even try to make a point without sounding so superior about it?
This way makes me laugh more.

I don't really care if people want to go out of their way to watch a lesser version of S;G, but there are a large number of idiosyncrasies and cultural in-jokes that simply do not lend themselves to a dub.

CorvoSol

Slayers TRY 25

Blah blah blah humanity lives full lives blah blah blah Kefka ponders why people do this when they die real quick blah blah blah at least Filia has some character development because blah blah blah Valgaav is the worst villain in the series. I mean he doesn't have Rezo's weight, nor Gaav's ferocity, nor Phibrizzo's madness. He's just a bishie who is sad the world is a horrible place. And where all the horrible things that Gods and Dragons have done has served to develop Filia's character, its done very little to develop Valgaav. Aside from being shown to be a generally nice guy in spite of being a bastard monster, Valgaav lacks real depth.

Also this fight feels so stretched out, considering this all came to a head 10 episodes ago. I dunno. I think this season did a really good job with Filia, but it feels like Lina and co are just along for the ride this time, and Valgaav is just not really keeping up as a villain. So Slayers NEXT is definitely the show's best season. This isn't BAD, it just isn't as good.

To be entirely fair, I find Zaptruder's comments easy to sympathize with. My experience with Revolutionary Girl Utena has been a lot like a High School English class. Regulus and Hito are the professor, and I'm the poor student trying to wrap his brain around why a giant white rose is spinning or what could possibly be so significant about an increasing number of black cats who are decreasing in size and what relationship this has with getting NTRd by a guy who looks like a guy who might be a girl and looks like another girl and in spite of that other girl being his sister and both sharing incredible physical similarities with the other guy, are apparently not related to him since he's related to the lady who was being used in the aforementioned NTR scheme who does not look like this guy. And all of these people, said lady excluded, look like a Prince that a girl met when she was small.

And they all look like a Brazilian woman who died during an attack by a clone of a little boy from a far away planetary system in an effort to recapture the machine necessary to save said system.

THIS IS BARELY SCRATCHING THE SURFACE OF UTENA. Not even talking about the balloons and stop watches and hilts and suggestive unsheathing and goodness knows what else.

When like, everything is symbolic in the show you kind of begin to wonder what, if anything, is real in the show.

Can't wait for you to realize how simple the stopwatch stuff is.

popcorn.gif

Regulus is too cryptic to be a professor, he's more like the master to your disciple. Think wax on wax off or there is no spoon kind of shit. Look forward to the day when you'll have to kill him.

Tenumi

Banned
This way makes me laugh more.

Oh, so you do admit to trolling? Ok, let me go alert a mod or something, I'm sure they'll understand...

I don't really care if people want to go out of their way to watch a lesser version of S;G, but there are a large number of idiosyncrasies and cultural in-jokes that simply do not lend themselves to a dub.

Not necessarily. It depends on the way that they can take the joke. Culture is a difficult thing to translate sometimes, and requires finesse in order to not drop the ball and ruin the joke. Ideally, it requires being able to think around the intention of the joke and either creating an equivalent joke or outright translation. Subs can run into this issue, too, and the way that a sub handles it can be dropped equally badly. You don't want to force the viewer to stop watching altogether so they can read a block of text to understand one joke, but you also don't want to oversimplify and botch the joke altogether. Both require careful planning to give the viewer the best experience without negatively impacting the entertainment.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Looks like a Fansub group is licensing anime.
http://crimson-star.us/crimson-star-...t-acquisition/

They are putting out Looking Up At The Half-Moon (Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora).

Seems they are depending on preorders but as of right now you can only preorder on their site but I think they might have an Amazon listing.

Really don't know if they are legit or not since it's a new company.

If 275 pre-orders are purchased by August 1st, 2013 Crimson Star Media will add an English Dub with cast commentary and interviews.

If 1,000 copies are purchased by December 25th, 2013 Crimson Star will announce a new license on New Years Day 2014.
That's almost like a Kickstarter.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

why does the dog have glowing red eyes

I desperately wish that this movie is going to be all kinds of fucked up given the premise, but the key image seems like a pretty good encapsulation of the series (Mana harem,
Ace
off to the side as an afterthought,
no Regina
) so it's guaranteed to be sixty to seventy really fucking painful minutes.

At least this year's Toei Annual Audience Exploitation Movie villain model will look good for the few minutes on screen that he spends prattling on about COVERING THE WORLD IN DARKNESS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom