• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Gargantia 13-

I cried.
It's so rare that we get cool mecha AI like this. The whole thing was great in that you could tell Chamber was actually angry. Chamber was the best character in the show so of course Butch had to ice him.
Overall I enjoyed the show a lot. I actually liked the later stuff more than the early 'let's have a BBQ on the Gargantia'. I do think a lot of characters got the shaft and the show as a whole feels condensed a bit like it was supposed to run for 24 instead of the 13 we got. That said, it was a fun ride.

Also dat action. If only the mechs were 2D then it would have been a proper Itano circus worthy of Eureka 7. Still they did a fantastic job with the camera movement.

Theonik

Senjō no Merī Kurisumasu
This was a pretty difficult movie to evaluate, I think its biggest problem is a lack of focus. It relies on a variety of contrasts to make its point but ultimately it focuses on none of them and they also come across as clashing with one another. It's also frankly pretty bizarre.
Another thing is it is very reminiscent of the Bridge over River Kwai, while it is not anywhere near as competent in any facet.
Speaking of weird choices David Bowie being cast as the main character is one, though he fits the role pretty admirably all things considered. Then you have simply weird scenes like one where
David Bowie steps in at gunpoint, with his guards ignoring him, rushes to the Japanese comander and kisses him in his cheeks causing him to collapse, presumable fearing of catching Bowie's gay(?) This stops him from executing a British POW somehow and prompts his henchmen to begin shrieking too before beating Bowie. I was in stitches by the time this exchange was over.
There is several similarly bizarre scenes throughout the film and these problems seem to be made more substantial by confusing editing plaguing the film as well a pretty obvious clash between the Japanese and British parts of the production. 2deep4me perhaps.

Jarmel

Banned
I've been dreading catching up on Ore no Imouto. The amont of rage out there is insane. I haven't seen this type of response in a long time.

Narag

Gargantia 11

Not sure how I feel about this!
Kegel feels like a 'what-if' scenario Ledo avoided, particularly with the shows of strength he had no problems with engaging in early on in the series.

cajunator

Banned
Well I guess I'm not posting itshappening.gif any more.

Good. It was never a funny or entertaining gif really.

Oh hey, someone reads my impressions :D

Looks like its time to move on to the next series!
  • Hyouka 01
F0yYfCZ.png

Ah yes, joining a club. This set up and introduction is reminding me of the first episode of SNAFU. Or maybe SNAFU is just wishing it was Hyouka?

Praise our CG overlords!

Chitanda Eru-erufu's voice is adorable. I hope this doesn't end up biting me in the butt. And Satoshi Ketchum seems cool so far.

This watercolor look is pretty cool. I wonder if it'll crop up again later in the series.

Oh man, I love mysteries. I hope this show delivers!

On mysteries? Nope it doesnt. On fun? sometimes. On cuteness? Chitanda DEFINITELY takes care of that as does Misaki. The show is kind of frustrating because the first half is pretty dull but its so damned pretty. It does get really fun towards the middle and doesnt let up from there. Drunk Chitanda is a thing of wonderment.

I've been dreading catching up on Ore no Imouto. The amont of rage out there is insane. I haven't seen this type of response in a long time.

Watch it and join us!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Umi Monogatari ~Anata ga Itekureta Koto~ 1

So does this become a mahou shoujou show or something? I guess it's decent enough so far but I'm really only watching it for Kana Asami and Yui Horie.

But yeah, um...how did this show turn out? Decent? Worth watching? I'm just picking random anime at this point, and considering the summer season is starting soon I probably shouldn't do that. :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Umi Monogatari ~Anata ga Itekureta Koto~ 1

So does this become a mahou shoujou show or something? I guess it's decent enough so far but I'm really only watching it for Kana Asami and Yui Horie.

But yeah, um...how did this show turn out? Decent? Worth watching? I'm just picking random anime at this point, and considering the summer season is starting soon I probably shouldn't do that. :lol
It's SatoJun, so it has a very :firehawk ending, especially if you consider the OVA. The first episode is very Aria at least, inasmuch as you spend time with the characters as they wander through this small Japanese coastal town.

And yeah, it becomes this weird magical girl show before just ending... For an anime based on a pachinko game, I guess you could do worse. lol

Oz the Great and Powerful

Aka "The writers watched too much harem animu"

Seriously. It's got porcelain imoutos, misunderstood ojou-samas, yanderes who lose the dere, and an MC who'd feel right at home in the School Days series.

cajunator

Banned
It's SatoJun, so it has a very :firehawk ending, especially if you consider the OVA. The first episode is very Aria at least, inasmuch as you spend time with the characters as they wander through this small Japanese coastal town.

And yeah, it becomes this weird magical girl show before just ending.
.. For an anime based on a pachinko game, I guess you could do worse. lol

shit. Im sold on this too >_

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

And yeah, it becomes this weird magical girl show before just ending... For an anime based on a pachinko game, I guess you could do worse. lol

Hm...I think I'll probably just put this one on hold for now. It seems decent enough, but for now I think I'm going to focus on finding short series/OVAs to watch while I wait for my summer shows to start up.

Oz the Great and Powerful

Aka "The writers watched too much harem animu"

It's got porcelain imoutos, misunderstood ojou-samas, yanderes who lose the dere, and an MC who'd feel right at home in the School Days series.

crippled porcelain imoutos

also adorable animal companion a la mahou shoujo

Narag

Gargantia 12

Oh god, that throne. :lol Pinion's new hairdo was ace too.

Wonderful sense of tension this episode. Nerves began to fray the longer things went on without resolution. For the mecha fan in me,
Striker vs Chamber was everything I could have hoped for
after long since giving up any expectation for such in this show. Chatter during it felt like something out of an Ace Combat game. Kinda expected the shocker at the end though.

CorvoSol

Maybe the most shocking anime episode I have ever watched. Couldn't believe it either.

I was in denial over the episode for like, a full five or six episodes after. I just could not believe it had actually happened. I would venture that CODE GEASS SPOILERS
Euphinator is a close second on the shock scale for me.

Narag

I was in denial over the episode for like, a full five or six episodes after. I just could not believe it had actually happened. I would venture that CODE GEASS SPOILERS

Yeah, your Geass mention legitimately shocked me in one of those "gotta pause and walk away for a few" ways.

cajunator

Banned

One of my all time favorite anime moments. Its so..just....over the top ridiculously stupidly absurd that its completely brilliant. I havent laughed so hard that I cried like that in a long time. It was sublime. Absolute perfection.

CorvoSol

One of my all time favorite anime moments. Its so..just....over the top ridiculously stupidly absurd that its completely brilliant. he I havent laughed so hard that I cried like that in a long time. It was sublime. Absolute perfection.

Laugh so hard I cried is what I would refer to as "Valvrave The Liberator" but most especially VALVRAVE SPOILERS
when Haruto Valvrapes Saki.

Or the last episode of Zeta Gundam. That was sublime and absurd at the same time.

cnet128

Banned

It's both moe and :sdburton, iirc. lol

And it has a Masumi Ito ending theme too? Shit. I might need to check this out.

Stop making me want to watch animus, guys! I have too many on my plate already!

Toradora! 17

Finally back! And what a better way to return than with a new OP and ED? Holiday season means cool new winter apparel! Taiga be rockin' dat white coat! And what's dis? I totally noticed something was different about her before someone called her out on it. New Taiga; hnng all the same. But we need more Minori. Lots and lots of Minori. Also what up with Orange? Shipper on deck, broskies. Rockin' da boat.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
These are a few of my favorite things

Well damn...if cajun and cnet are going to watch it, maybe I'll stick with it after all.

EDIT: But cajun has to watch Hoshi no Umi no Amuri first!

Toradora! 17

Finally back! And what a better way to return than with a new OP and ED? Holiday season means cool new winter apparel! Taiga be rockin' dat white coat! And what's dis? I totally noticed something was different about her before someone called her out on it. New Taiga; hnng all the same. But we need more Minori. Lots and lots of Minori. Also what up with Orange? Shipper on deck, broskies. Rockin' da boat.

Yesssss

Narag

Gargantia 13

Thank goodness it was conveniently raining in my room for this ep. Chamber's such a bro too.
---

Lovely series as a whole that never really dipped it in quality. Might not be the best thing ever but that consistency did wonders. Ledo stuff was great throughout as he discovered his humanity and I think I'm down to eight spots left to fill for next years AOTY voting after this. Really glad I made time for this today.

cajunator

Banned

Now you know why my backlog never ends!

Iron Giant wants to have a word here.

Yep.

Knew you would :D
Kirby's got skillz.

Well damn...if cajun and cnet are going to watch it, maybe I'll stick with it after all.

EDIT: But cajun has to watch Hoshi no Umi no Amuri first!

Yesssss

I'm on it, sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom