• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Toradora 22!

It's difficult to watch these characters continue to hide behind walls of false emotions. I'd calls this the Brave Face episode. Minori's goofy persona didn't prove to be enough of a defense against what she's hiding, so she burdens herself with even more work and responsibilities. That sort of self-destructive behavior is terrifying to watch, especially since she's convinced it's what's best for her. And Ami's not helping herself either by being bitter at both the world and herself. She really doesn't have anywhere to turn. But most of all, Taiga and Ryuji's dynamic is so different now. Taiga puts on the bravest of faces, and he's totally aware of it all - aware of the guilt, the self-hate, the suppressed feelings - yet he goes along with it. With everyone shutting each other out like this, I'm really worried; no one will be able to share how they really feel. That's why I found Yasuko to be the highlight of the episode. When I saw her note to Ryuji about getting a second job in order to support his education, I almost lost it.
Thanks for the encouragement! I remember coming across your advice to Felix about the post-credit scenes but I didn't know it was for the last episode so I've just been sticking around after the credits for each episode as a precaution.

I'm so excited for you! You're gonna love these next three episodes! :D

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Dokidoki 22:

nkfLfQGl.jpg

135562044796812sx4.gif

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah, really. I plowed through Toradora a couple months back. It really gave me those feels. Especially towards the end. I had to marathon it at points because of the near-constant cliffhangers.

Same here. I think I watched it all in three or four days. A stark contrast to the 1-2 weeks it takes me to watch a 12 episode series these days. :lol I wish I could find something I liked as much as I liked Toradora and Nichijou again. Though I suppose K-ON! came pretty close.

No English stream announced yet, hopefully soon.
(Japanese stream on Niconico starts on July 14th.)

I hope so. I'm getting the impression that this is something I need to see.

Same here. I think I watched it all in three or four days. A stark contrast to the 1-2 weeks it takes me to watch a 12 episode series these days. :lol I wish I could find something I liked as much as I liked Toradora and Nichijou again. Though I suppose K-ON! came pretty close.

I can get through a 13-episode series in a few days if I put my mind to it. That was the case with Girls und Panzer (which I liked quite a bit). A 25-episode series can take me a while to work through, though, especially with the new weekly episodes of the current shows. But Toradora was something special. I couldn't wait to get to the next episode. I think I ended up watching the whole thing in two or three days.

wonzo

Banned
Compare and contrast:

iqA1uQq02FQox.gif

You are only hurting yourself even more.
Why are you doing this to yourself?

WHY?!
Told you guys. Cry for help.
But these are all old gifs ._.

He already watched the first season of the anime; now he's just going through the portion of the manga (which is excellent, by the way) that covers the same story.
Thanks! (How much of the manga have you read btw?)

Gintama Silver Screen Special

1VW0oeJl.jpg

An half hour of an overview of the show, staff, cast, artists interviews, seeing Sugita wear the same jacket, random clips of the movies, introduction of the characters' new outfits and general hype building of the movie. Then,

5MkbaMLl.jpg

A five minute trailer to the movie. HYPEEEEEEEEEE.

Shergal

So I'm thinking of watching Soremachi, the lauded 'best SHAFT show' according to many here. But I'm not sure I'm in the right mood at the moment. Does it lean more to comedy or laid-back slice of life?

fertygo

Code Geass 11 ( rewatch )

After Valvrave ending, I tempted to do this.. man its still hold up well, this isn't the first time I rewatch this either.. what a fun ride, you can't stop watching after first episode, the orange scandal is more hilarious than I recalled before lol

wonzo

Banned
Just the first volume so far; I really need to get back to it.
Cool, I'm definitely looking forward to reading your impressions for the rest of it in the manga thread!

So I'm thinking of watching Soremachi, the lauded 'best SHAFT show' according to many here. But I'm not sure I'm in the right mood at the moment. Does it lean more to comedy or laid-back slice of life?
Both really, think of it as like Yotsuba but with a high-schooler (and more supernatural elements).

zeroshiki

Its more of a comedy but its not a gag show like Nichijo or Daily Lives.

I can't access CR (blocked (ノД`) ) but I'm 99% sure the only dorama they have are Korean ones.

They have some Japanese dramas.

It doesn't look like they've updated their drama section very much recently though. I'm pretty sure they took down some of the dramas they used to have too.

Toradora! 23

This is unbelievable!
In contrast to the last episode's focus on shutting others out, this one was all about opening up. Whether it was Taiga making chocolate for her friends in order to apologize or Ryuji's words of endearment and encouragement to Ami, characters were communicating honestly. And like other episodes, it's a constant theme that gradually becomes more and more apparent until the climactic confrontation. Minori couldn't stand by and watch as her friends lied to each other, and then she was supported by Ami and Kotomaru. I never expected Minori to lash out at Taiga like that. I mean, just seconds before it happened I was admiring how great they were as friends. The tears, the restraining, and the screaming all shattered that image. What does their friendship even stand for if they try to keep their personal happiness from one another? Taiga's fleeings show that she is truly the one suffering the most from all this, and Minori and Ryuji's decision to go after her leaves me hopeful, which is something I've been hesitant to feel for a while now. There is certainly more pain to be felt, but I've never been more excited to jump back in.

Gintama Silver Screen Special

1VW0oeJl.jpg

An half hour of an overview of the show, staff, cast, artists interviews, seeing Sugita wear the same jacket, random clips of the movies, introduction of the characters' new outfits and general hype building of the movie. Then,

5MkbaMLl.jpg

A five minute trailer to the movie. HYPEEEEEEEEEE.

Soon? SOOOOON.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Toradora! 23

This is unbelievable!
In contrast to the last episode's focus on shutting others out, this one was all about opening up. Whether it was Taiga making chocolate for her friends in order to apologize or Ryuji's words of endearment and encouragement to Ami, characters were communicating honestly. And like other episodes, it's a constant theme that gradually becomes more and more apparent until the climactic confrontation. Minori couldn't stand by and watch as her friends lied to each other, and then she was supported by Ami and Kotomaru. I never expected Minori to lash out at Taiga like that. I mean, just seconds before it happened I was admiring how great they were as friends. The tears, the restraining, and the screaming all shattered that image. What does their friendship even stand for if they try to keep their personal happiness from one another? Taiga's fleeings show that she is truly the one suffering the most from all this, and Minori and Ryuji's decision to go after her leaves me hopeful, which is something I've been hesitant to feel for a while now. There is certainly more pain to be felt, but I've never been more excited to jump back in.

HERE WE GO :'D

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Toradora! 23

This is unbelievable!

And now is when shit gets real. Get ready! :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I thought CR didn't get Japanese dorama because the production committees wouldn't license the shows to them?
They've said as much without saying it. It's why they're only able to get kdramas anyway.

"Please keep watching our show. pretty pleeeeaseeeee"
But who are they saying that too? Girls would have no idea who she is. lol

Poor Ace.

Sugita looks like they dragged him out of bed and into that chair.
Too busy replaying Amagami SS, I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom