• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
DokiDoki Precure - 22

r8eoKwM.png
PYNcTsc.png

If only this could last forever.

This was certainly something. They really did pull you in with the
hopes of Regina becoming a part of Mana's family, if only temporary before she built up the courage to face her father again. Maybe it was just mine, as I was expecting her "courage" to come in the form of her turning into a Cure and helping Mana and the gang purify her dad at endgame, allowing Regina to have her own happy family with her father and henchmen.

rbNJjgB.png

HhkgS8m.png

Instead we got
brainwashing and quite the spectacular drama between Mana and the love of her life. Mana hesitating to shoot Regina with her force arrow before ultimately giving up was great. I mean, how could you easily fight the one you cherish the most? Easier said than done, and Mana, as perfect as she is, is only human and would be no different in the case. I'm okay with what they did to Regina, only because if they set this up right it could be the next Love x Setsuna conflict where Mana efforts of trying to save Regina will eventually purify the girl's heart. There's not a lot of things to give Fresh credit for, but that element was one of them and is the major reason why I hold Love x Setsuna to be the OTP of Precure.

I don't anything bad to say about
Cure Ace because 1.) We barely know anything about her, and 2.) her pose is SWAG AS FUCK.
Bring on next week, I am so ready.

iavi

Gintama Silver Screen Special

1VW0oeJl.jpg

An half hour of an overview of the show, staff, cast, artists interviews, seeing Sugita wear the same jacket, random clips of the movies, introduction of the characters' new outfits and general hype building of the movie. Then,

5MkbaMLl.jpg

A five minute trailer to the movie. HYPEEEEEEEEEE.

Anybody have a link to that 5 min trailer? AHMFG

zeroshiki

The otaku probably make up, like, 1% of the viewership of PreCure. It still exists as a vehicle to sell toys and merchandise to little girls. Story and Production quality is incidental.

Toradora! 24

I'm being torn up and put back together again several times over the course of one episode.
Minori's confession was beautifully cathartic as she ran after Taiga. But the confrontation with the mothers was heartbreaking. Yasuko attempting to shoulder the burden for the sake of her son and Ryuji lashing out at her. They've always had this incredible bond, supporting each other in their own ways, but now I can't get the image of tears streaming down her face out of my head. And just when I think things are plummeting, Ryuji and Taiga have a heart to heart about their feelings and find support in their friends. But Minori's breakdown was a long time coming for me and I couldn't help but join her. Yasuko's disappearance terrifies me, but Ryuji's restored faith in family has me desperate to finish this once and for all!

Dunno how true that is cause Max Heart had some of the highest ratings and sales or some shit. Kids dont care about plot or story quality.

It also had Nagisa and Honoka, which are two of the most popular Cures in the franchise. That was more than enough to salvage that trainwreck for kids.

The otaku probably make up, like, 1% of the viewership of PreCure. It still exists as a vehicle to sell toys and merchandise to little girls. Story and Production quality is incidental.

Maybe kids don't believe in the power of female love, and therefore it's turning them off? Or realistically speaking, DVRs or something like that, ontop of other services providing shows, allowing them to watch it whenever.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Toradora! 24

I'm being torn up and put back together again several times over the course of one episode.
Minori's confession was beautifully cathartic as she ran after Taiga. But the confrontation with the mothers was heartbreaking. Yasuko attempting to shoulder the burden for the sake of her son and Ryuji lashing out at her. They've always had this incredible bond, supporting each other in their own ways, but now I can't get the image of tears streaming down her face out of my head. And just when I think things are plummeting, Ryuji and Taiga have a heart to heart about their feelings and find support in their friends. But Minori's breakdown was a long time coming for me and I couldn't help but join her. Yasuko's disappearance terrifies me, but Ryuji's restored faith in family has me desperate to finish this once and for all!

Prepare your heart.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Ah. lol

Maybe it's time to start churning out a brand new franchise. How long did Doremi last before they canned it?

Doremi got four seasons and some OVAs. It lives on in light novel form, though. Toei is less forgiving of poor performance for series that don't completely sacrifice general audience entertainment value for profit, it would seem.

The ratings are in the shitter because DokiDoki is shit.

fake edit: what zeroshiki said basically. Max Heart still holds the record for highest product sales of any season, afaik.

Isn't Doki Doki's current ratings comparable to Splash Star's which was almost a death sentence, thus triggering it to become more like other Mahou shoujos?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Toradora! 24

ohboyohboyohboyohboyohboy get ready!

cajunator

Banned
It also had Nagisa and Honoka, which are two of the most popular Cures in the franchise. That was more than enough to salvage that trainwreck for kids.

Maybe kids don't believe in the power of female love, and therefore it's turning them off? Or realistically speaking, DVRs or something like that, ontop of other services providing shows, allowing them to watch it whenever.

True. Nagisa and Honoka are pretty awesome Precures.

Prepare your heart.

There's no possible way to prepare your heart for that. Hell I know whats coming if I rewatched it and it would still get to me.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Increased competition from other networks, shitty economy, declining birthrate, etc. The franchise has had entire seasons whose hook was a special relationship between two girls (Futari wa, Suite) so yeah, kids don't care about lesbian undertones that are entirely the fabrication of otaku viewers.

zeroshiki

The show is on really early in the morning -_- I have no idea how people can get up to watch.

How does Japan calculate ratings anyway? It's not as absurd as the Nielsen family system is it?

I think it is. They have machines in certain homes that keep track of what they watch.

Increased competition from other networks, shitty economy, declining birthrate, etc. The franchise has had entire seasons whose hook was a special relationship between two girls (Futari wa, Suite) so yeah, kids don't care about lesbian undertones that are entirely the fabrication of otaku viewers.

Is any of those hooks as intense as Doki Doki though? Because Futari wa's still had the bishonen boy romance angles to deal with, and Suite's angle is somewhat undermined because they don't exactly need each other to do everything, even though it is quite clear that they are in lesbians with each other.
btw wasn't entirely serious on this one but still
. Doki Doki is pretty blatant with this, to the point that calling it an undertone would be an understatement.

cajunator

Banned
Is any of those hooks as intense as Doki Doki though? Because Futari wa's still had the bishonen boy romance angles to deal with, and Suite's angle is somewhat undermined because they don't exactly need each other to do everything, even though it is quite clear that they are in lesbians with each other.
btw wasn't entirely serious on this one but still
. Doki Doki is pretty blatant with this, to the point that calling it an undertone would be an understatement.

"in lesbians"

thank you Scott Pilgrim for giving us this gem.

zeroshiki

Your yuri goggles are coloring your perspective.

There's no f'in way they're gonna show outright lesbianism in a cartoon for little girls.

They're friends. Get over it.

Full Metal Panic! Another Volume 1

About halfway through the first volume of FMP! Another, and I really don't know how I feel about it. Tatsuya is kind of an annoying protagonist, and a far cry from the likable dummy that Sosuke was. I also really dislike that he's a high school student who just happens to be really competent at piloting mechs. Coming off of a cast comprised of pro soldiers, this just feels incredibly contrived.

The writing style also feels like it's aping Shouji's style, which makes sense considering he's only serving as a supervisor/planner on the series.

I dunno, it's hard to say whether I'll like it or not because the scale is currently so much smaller than anything in FMP!.

Jarmel

Banned
Full Metal Panic! Another Volume 1

About halfway through the first volume of FMP! Another, and I really don't know how I feel about it. Tatsuya is kind of an annoying protagonist, and a far cry from the likable dummy that Sosuke was. I also really dislike that he's a high school student who just happens to be really competent at piloting mechs. Coming off of a cast comprised of pro soldiers, this just feels incredibly contrived.

The writing style also feels like it's aping Shouji's style, which makes sense considering he's only serving as a supervisor/planner on the series.

I dunno, it's hard to say whether I'll like it or not because the scale is currently so much smaller than anything in FMP!.

How are the characters in general?

zeroshiki

If we get another FMP, there's a good chance it will be FMP:A because that is the active one with LNs to sell. The wailing will be heard all throughout the internet.

There's no f'in way they're gonna show outright lesbianism in a cartoon for little girls.

I'm not even being serious with them showing outright lesbianism in a children's tv show made to exploit their parents. It's unrealistic, and it's more of a way to say that I don't really see how they can redeem this show overall to me, because it has be excessively mediocre outside of very few episodes.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Isn't Doki Doki's current ratings comparable to Splash Star's which was almost a death sentence, thus triggering it to become more like other Mahou shoujos?

Actually, they're much worse.

INvpdKg.jpg

pbev2RU.jpg

People talk about Splash Star almost murdering the franchise due to its low ratings, but ratings have been as bad or worse since Heartcatch. It was presumably an issue of poor product sales for Splash Star because the franchise would have died years ago if ~5.0 ratings in and of themselves were unacceptable to Toei.

zeroshiki

I'm not even being serious with them showing outright lesbianism in a children's tv show made to exploit their parents. It's unrealistic, and it's more of a way to say that I don't really see how they can redeem this show overall to me, because it has be excessively mediocre outside of very few episodes.

I'm sorry if this comes off like me being an asshole but what the otaku wants is absolutely none of Toei's business. It suffering in ratings has very little to do with how you think the story has gone to shit. It could very well be that the little girls who make up the majority of its audience don't like the story and that's why the ratings are down but they probably dislike it for different reasons. Most likely one that doesn't involve "too many lesbians."

madp

The Light of El Cantare

And this is why the 90s were a better time and Sailor Moon is superior.

If we get another FMP, there's a good chance it will be FMP:A because that is the active one with LNs to sell. The wailing will be heard all throughout the internet.

Considering characters from FMP! show up in Another, I imagine they'd have to cut them out as their presence would make no sense.

Hell, the world of FMP:A would make no sense since it takes place ten years after the previous series, with
Sophia's grand Whispered plan having been prevented, and the world advancing at a normal pace

Granted, I have no idea what characters are going to show up, but
Ono D has already popped up as one of the high school teachers.

As for characters, Tatsuya is kind of falling flat for me, and Lina seems like a female version of Sosuke. Maybe that'll change though.

Jubern

Gintama Silver Screen Special

1VW0oeJl.jpg

An half hour of an overview of the show, staff, cast, artists interviews, seeing Sugita wear the same jacket, random clips of the movies, introduction of the characters' new outfits and general hype building of the movie. Then,

5MkbaMLl.jpg

A five minute trailer to the movie. HYPEEEEEEEEEE.

Damn you remind me I still need to buy my advance ticket for this. SATURDAY, IT'S OUT SATURDAAAAAAY.

I hadn't heard about this special, I'll check it out tonight, it looks like fun.

zeroshiki

Why are lesbians bad but straight people hitting on each other ok?

Because try as we might, society has not progressed to a point where showing lesbians in a cartoon for children is something that is acceptable. Especially not in Japan.

EDIT: I'm not sure how that came off, but I want it to be known that I have no dog in this fight. I am talking about the reality of the situation. I am ambivalent about the rightness or wrongness of it.

Toradora! 24

come on come on come onnnn

Actually, they're much worse.

INvpdKg.jpg

pbev2RU.jpg

People talk about Splash Star almost murdering the franchise due to its low ratings, but ratings have been as bad or worse since Heartcatch. It was presumably an issue of poor product sales for Splash Star because the franchise would have died years ago if ~5.0 ratings in and of themselves were unacceptable to Toei.

Well Suite did trainwreck, althoug Smile was a step up (and had a shit ton of marchendising opportunities) But I guess the whole child birth decline is an issue. I wonder how badly it'll affect Pokemon, even if it has a sizable adult fanbase. Or at least, more than Precure.

I'm sorry if this comes off like me being an asshole but what the otaku wants is absolutely none of Toei's business. It suffering in ratings has very little to do with how you think the story has gone to shit. It could very well be that the little girls who make up the majority of its audience don't like the story and that's why the ratings are down but they probably dislike it for different reasons. Most likely one that doesn't involve "too many lesbians."

Frankly speaking again, the lesbian thing was a joke suggestion. It was more of a 2 of the reasons why Doki Doki is interesting, and to see how far they push it, but this one is more to a lesser extent than number 1, Regina.

In regards to what the otaku want, I personally, wouldn't mind having something of Splash Star quality at the very least, with Heartcatch being the line to match/cross. That is all I want. I'd say characters could be a problem, despite them ranking high in the New Stage 2 poll, but new Cures always rank pretty high simply for being new (I'm still baffled at how Passion was number 1, not that I mind). The main Cures themselves frankly, aren't very interesting at all.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Because try as we might, society has not progressed to a point where showing lesbians in a cartoon for children is something that is acceptable. Especially not in Japan.

EDIT: I'm not sure how that came off, but I want it to be known that I have no dog in this fight. I am talking about the reality of the situation. I am ambivalent about the rightness or wrongness of it.
Sailor Moon did it!

Although maybe Toei got skittish after Ikuhara and Satou ran free.

CorvoSol

Gargantia 13

Fucking hell Chamber. you're so awesome. Best AI.

I dunno, man. AL from FMP is a smarmy, loveable sonofagun.

I'm crying already. I just want an animated Sigma. That flipping off. The Al Jr. The Laevatein. That one Tartaros scene. Waaaaah. Bad enough that Volume 18 has been out for HALF A YEAR and nobody's translated it yet.

cajunator

Banned

Pretty much yeah. Its all pretty innocent all things considered.

And this is why the 90s were a better time and Sailor Moon is superior.

This is true. that show didnt give a damn., It just went where it wanted to go no matter how dark.

Why are lesbians bad but straight people hitting on each other ok?

Whoooo said it was bad? Its a beautiful thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom