• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kuttsukiboshi

image.php

plane-taking-off.jpg

WlToyxf.gif

x8xqIxb.jpg

image.php

CorvoSol

I don't remember the biblical references, actually.

EDIT: [Girls Und Panzer] OVA 6

Princess Tutu am cry.

Akio explains that Venus, the Morning Star, is also Lucifer, the Light Bringer, the Morning Star. The explanation seems to be applied to himself. He says this after Utena says his name is romantic and while Anthy is staring at the two of them snuggling on the couch.

Like Anthy ever blinks.

Narag

Riki-Oh 2: Child of Destruction

uElNjTUl.png

I'm sure the Star of David is there for lotally understandable reasons.

9fluIq0l.png
gUzvzGml.png

8dh1X9vl.png
S6vUj2ul.png

zQUi2TAl.png

This shit was all over the place.

xCeUB13.png

Shame the ending was like a poor man's Hokuto no Ken film Raoh/Kenshiro fight. I think some of the same sound effects were used at that. I woudln't even be surprised if they lifted the above background from the movie.

Well now, I'd wanted to check this out for a while and so I have. Less coherent than the prison arc but just as crazy, I really have little clue what went on aside from people beating the shit out of each and getting glimpses of Riki's past. Good manime. Shuuchi Ikeda voices Riki's crazy brother for an added bonus!! I think he had less than 10 lines! :lol

NSFW
Gore is abundant!

Quentin Tarantino Presents Makoto Shinkai's Garden of Words

This was amazingly beautiful. Maybe Shinkai's most beautiful movie yet. And also his most enjoyable one since Place Promised. Shinkai may go back to the well one too many times but if he would make more movies like this I wouldn't mind.

Thoraxes

Aside from the top-notch directing skill backing them up, the two shows are really not that similar. To summarize, Aku no Hana is tense yet meditative psychological horror.

Knowing your interests, I think Aku no Hana would be worth watching just to see its use of music.

Easy enough for me. I heard the show gets quite intense too, and I enjoy that kind of genre a lot more!

I'll start soon! Thanks!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Utena]
I missed this. Fill me in!
They just randomly disappear when she's pulling the sword out of Utena's chest. At first I thought it was just an animation mistake, but that's exactly the type of thing I think wouldn't get past Ikuhara, especially during the remasterisation.

PULLING CRAP OUT OF MY ARSE TIME:
The glasses are there as a self-imposed wall Anthy puts against the rest of the world. Them disappearing during that animation symbolises her blossoming trust for Utena, culminating in PHALLIC SWORD OUT OF HER CHEST.

Narag

[Utena]

They just randomly disappear when she's pulling the sword out of Utena's chest. At first I thought it was just an animation mistake, but that's exactly the type of thing I think wouldn't get past Ikuhara, especially during the remasterisation.

PULLING CRAP OUT OF MY ARSE TIME:
The glasses are there as a self-imposed wall Anthy puts between herself and the rest of the world. Them disappearing during that animation symbolises her blossoming trust for Utena, culminating in PHALLIC SWORD OUT OF HER CHEST.

That makes a ton of sense given the ending.

Detective Conan 235:
Shouldn't Takagi have sustained some serious head injury from that? It was kind of reckless, not putting a cushion there or having him wear something durint the reenactment. As far as AO cases go, this was overall pretty fun. It did have dramatic wine tasting, and some nice moments for Megure, Takagi and Chiba. If they're going to interrupt the plot, it's at least nice for it to be something kind of fun. I also liked that some of the suspects actually did refuse to talk without a lawyer for once. That never happens in Conan.

Tenumi

Banned
Gargantia: 13 (End)

I have to say, while there was a stretch of episodes that really made me sick of the series, the last 3 episodes redeemed it for me. Overall, while it didn't quite meet the expectations I had when I started the series, Gargantia was worth watching. I can't say it was a masterpiece, but it told its story well enough.

Gargantia: 13 (End)

I have to say, while there was a stretch of episodes that really made me sick of the series, the last 3 episodes redeemed it for me. Overall, while it didn't quite meet the expectations I had when I started the series, Gargantia was worth watching. I can't say it was a masterpiece, but it told its story well enough.

Eh, I was a fan pretty much the whole way through. The ending kind of snuck up on me, I didn't realize this was only going to be a 13-episode deal.

So what is this Dog & Scissors anime about? Crunchyroll doesn't have a description of it up yet.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Utena]
That makes a ton of sense given the ending.
Other stuff I noticed in my last rewatch (don't look until you finish the show, Corvo):
In the scene where Anthy, Utena, and Nanami are playing rock, paper, scissors to decide who is going into which room, Anthy's hand is ever so slightly out of synch, as if she deliberately wanted to lose. :p

CorvoSol

Fun fact: check Anthy's glasses during the new stock footage.

Her eyes are totally attached to her glasses or something I bet.

Gargantia 13

Well, I for one, really rather enjoyed this show the whole way through. I will concede that the second half falls into some stock mecha tropes, right down to people claiming to be God and all. However, as a fan of mecha and aware of and accepting of these aspects of the genre, it should be easy to see why I wasn't bugged by this much at all.

I definitely want a second season and will say right now that Gargantia is far, far more deserving of a second season that the pure shit that is Majestic Shit or Shitjestic Prince or whatever. While I don't approve of CG Mecha at all (death of the genre blah blah blah), I'd say that the fight in this episode was pretty good, even though I'm not a fan of Space Robot battles because they tend to devolve into spinning and lasers, whereas Super Robots have their hilarious over the top brawling and Real Robots tend to be struggles that are more realistic. And I know Space Robots aren't a thing but its just wrong to call things like the Gundam 00 and Strike Freedom Gundam "Real Robots" when there's nothing realistic about them and wrong to call them "Super Robots" when they don't behave like them.

Also I'm kinda sad that
the best character died. Hopefully they ass-pull a fixer for that in the I Wish It Was Happening second season.
Still, the ending was a good, open ending that left me wanting more, the show made brilliant use of its colors, had a decent amount of world building, speculative fiction, and popcorn mecha action to make me really like it. The cast wasn't exactly deep, but they were memorable and none of them, even Douchebag Pinion, truly grated the nerves, so I'd say they were a solid, if not superb, cast.

In the end, I would definitely recommend Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet. Not to everyone, I suppose, but it is a good show that's easy to get into, I feel.

Toradora! 21

I wasn't prepared for that. This show keeps surprising me and it packs a wallop every time.
Vacation episodes normally spend a fair amount of time using the change of scenery for happy/comical effect. But that stuff is so very short lived here in order to drive home the real tone. There was so much tension and it just didn't stop building. The girl-talk gradually turned into a heated argument, pushing Minori into a mood I've never seen before. It was incredibly unsettling. And just when I thought it was all water under the bridge, that Ami was going to find some sort of closure through reconciliation, everything takes a turn for the worse. They actually fought. No hiding behind a mask. No comical reprieve. Nobody walked away from that. Taiga's supposed to be the rough and tough one, but she was on the side line while Minori and Ami showed everyone what their pain really meant to them. It was ugly and I had to watch it. To Taiga, the hair clip was her way of trying to reclaim normalcy. So it only stung even more to see her hurt the most. Not only physically as the blood sickeningly ran down her head, but emotionally as she cried on Ryuji's shoulder, hating herself.
What the hell did I get myself into?

DOKI DOKI PRECURE INFORMATIONS :

Cure Ace will be dancing with the cures next week , unknow if it'll be a new ED or a modified version of the ENDING

I just realised that Regina is italian for Queen, meaning with the recent events that she will probably NOT become a CURE ever.

This is not the first time THE RIE voices a character in the precure series , does anybody know what character she voiced before Cure Ace in doki doki ? ( will provide the answer if no one knows )

Doki Doki Movie synopsis ( for those who care )
Mana Aida/Cure Heart is given a wedding dress which was worn by her mother and grandmother. All of sudden a mysterious man named Matthew appears and takes her to the past world. Mana is so glad to meet her grandmother and her beloved dog Maro that she had a long time ago, but she can't find two of her best friends Rikka and Alice. It looks her precious memories have been changed somehow. If things continue as is, the future will be ruined, too. The PreCure girls have to fight to protect their memories and future!!
The answer to the dog in the picture for those intrested is in the spoiler above ^^^

---------
MISC
SDBurton Alert : ( do no click unless you've seen ep 21 )

If you've seen ep 22 , then have a laugh !

-------------

Doki Doki Precure ep 22

If you've read the regina spoiler up there , then you know why i was expecting this turn of events.. you can pretty much guess how it'll unfold from there.
I guess i hoped they would hope people wouldn't notice when a lot of the precure fans did.

As for the newcomer , i'll wait to see her in action before i state my opinion

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Toradora! 21

I wasn't prepared for that. This show keeps surprising me and it packs a wallop every time.
Vacation episodes normally spend a fair amount of time using the change of scenery for happy/comical effect. But that stuff is so very short lived here in order to drive home the real tone. There was so much tension and it just didn't stop building. The girl-talk gradually turned into a heated argument, pushing Minori into a mood I've never seen before. It was incredibly unsettling. And just when I thought it was all water under the bridge, that Ami was going to find some sort of closure through reconciliation, everything takes a turn for the worse. They actually fought. No hiding behind a mask. No comical reprieve. Nobody walked away from that. Taiga's supposed to be the rough and tough one, but she was on the side line while Minori and Ami showed everyone what their pain really meant to them. It was ugly and I had to watch it. To Taiga, the hair clip was her way of trying to reclaim normalcy. So it only stung even more to see her hurt the most. Not only physically as the blood sickeningly ran down her head, but emotionally as she cried on Ryuji's shoulder, hating herself.

You got your self a ticket for a ride on the emotional rollercoaster, that's what!

Toradora! 21

This is Toradora, people.

Doki Doki Precure 22

Where oh where do I begin...

KISSES IS LEWD GUYS, COVER POOR ALICE'S FACE! KISSING IS LIKE STICKING YOUR PENIS IN THE FRIDGE, NOT ADVISABLE TO CHILDREN. Seriously, they're 14 fucking years old, they can handle lips Toei.

Dude just squish vaginas already, SERIOUSLY! Actually, I think they did over night. Lets go with that. Doujins will back me up here (they fucking better). However, seeing love displayed in front of Regina actually started to give her heart pains, and it started giving me pain too.

AND HERE, SHE'S BEING MISCHIVIOUS DESPITE BEING GOOD! THINGS COULD'VE BEEN FINE, BUT THEN WE FIND OUT THE REAL IDENTITY TO KING SELFISH! HE'S REALLY TOEI! TOEI IS KING SELFISH! IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE!

MANA, YOU HAD ONE JOB!

YOU GAVE US AN OTP, AND YOU FAILED TO PROTECT IT! TOEI BASICALLY REMOVED THE ONLY GOOD PART OF THE SHOW, WHO WILL NO LONGER BE IN UPCOMING MOVIES BECAUSE SHE'S NOT A CURE! No one in the fucking Precure circle jerk will know that you existed and actually another member that squished vaginas with each other. UNFORTUNATELY, SHE BACAME BLUE UTTERLY TROLLING US IN THE LONG RUN

GOD DAMN IT KING TOEI, I WANTED MANA TO SUFFER, AND TO HAVE A GOOD EPISODE, AND YOU GAVE ME BOTH OF THOSE AT A COST TOO GREAT FOR MY HEART. I MADE A SHRINE, AND YOU MADE IT INVALID
because Regina is now Blue

BUT HEY, HERE's CURE ACE, VOICED BY THE QUEEN OF TSUNDRIED TOMATOES! AND SOME NEW FUCKERS NEXT WEEK! MORE PRODUCTS FOR THE EXPLOITED CHILDREN, WHO CARES HOW THEY FEEL, IT'S NOT LIKE THEY GIVE A SHIT ABOUT WASTING THEIR PARENTS MONEY.

.....*sigh*

Why am I emotionally invested in a children's fucking tv show made to exploit them, I don't know. It pisses me off and yet it practically makes up for last episode being rather lackluster outside of admitting that they wanted to grind. It was a good episode, and yet it bothers me to no end. I guess we get the Regina we fell in love with initially, but...

Sigh

Hot and rich buttered corn will never be the same. I don't want Cure Ace frankly, she's just there. Might as well start making some changes to my shrine and my Regina villager. Dammit Toei, it's like you just defiled my waifu to keep her in her place...

Actually scratch that, the Cure Ace thing still sucked, it made no fucking sense. It's just WOOP SHE'S HERE, GIVE A FUCK KIDS

kirbyguy ,

Cure Ace will be explained properly over the next 2 episodes , she had only an appearance and less than 2 minutes , hardly enough time to explain where she came from.

And if you read my precure post , above yours , you'll realise why you had NO chance with your shrine !

The Hentai Prince and the Stoned Cat End

Again, this is about as much closure as you can expect out of the show, though I wasn't expecting things to progress so far in terms of relationships. Some heavy and heartwarming stuff, which I guess is par for the course for the last few episodes of these kinds of shows.

If I can say one positive thing about this show, it's that it was unpredictable pretty much the entire way through. The premise seemed to shift often, starting out as Liar Liar and eventually drifting into 50 First Dates, with a bunch of random stuff in between. Still, it worked, and it made for an entertaining show that made me look forward to it each week.

So yeah, not an amazing series that sets out to redefine the rules of the harem genre, but it does enough things differently and in an entertaining way that I'd still call it one of the stand-out shows of the genre. For some reason, it also helped that the protagonist looked like a side character.

I'd watch a second season of this.
More importantly, nsfw http://i.minus.com/iRJqgepTsyvW.png

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Toradora! 21

We're here for you, man. We're here. And also fuck I need to go to bed, but I can't while someone is this close to the end of Toradora. I have to be here to witness it!

Also, I have to give you the same warning I gave Felix. When you get to the final episode, watch past the credits. This is very, very important.

kirbyguy ,

Cure Ace will be explained properly over the next 2 episodes , she had only an appearance and less than 2 minutes , hardly enough time to explain where she came from.

And if you read my precure post , above yours , you'll realise why you had NO chance with your shrine !

That doesn't excuse it. She fucking came out of nowhere, and she just feels like a bandaid over the fucking gash wound they gave you. No build up from the past 21 episodes on her actual identity, and then BAM! There you go. Every other reveal has had build up SUITE spoilers
Even Siren's turn was foreshadowed since she was good before the start of the series, on top of knowing what happened in previous series. Cure Muse.... ehhhh
. Of course they'll explain it in the coming weeks, that's what you're suppose to do, otherwise it's just stupid to go HERE HAVE THIS NEW CHILD EXPLOITATION CHARACTER and go "I don't have to explain shit".

That doesn't excuse it. She fucking came out of nowhere, and she just feels like a bandaid over the fucking gash wound they gave you. No build up from the past 21 episodes on her actual identity, and then BAM! There you go. Every other reveal has had build up SUITE spoilers
Even Siren's turn was foreshadowed since she was good before the start of the series, on top of knowing what happened in previous series. Cure Muse.... ehhhh
. Of course they'll explain it in the coming weeks, that's what you're suppose to do, otherwise it's just stupid to go HERE HAVE THIS NEW CHILD EXPLOITATION CHARACTER and go "I don't have to explain shit".

They have to explain things , otherwise it would make the whole deal with the "queen" meaningless.

BTW ,did you notice , the transformation set for cure Ace is different from the other 4 . She will be MOST LIKELY a stand alone fighter like milky rose.
BUY OUR NEW CURE ACE TOY ! , after all we did make a 2 sec close -up on it

I was out all day, time to get back to anime...

There's more to the story.

Good to know, because I know anime likes to leave misunderstandigs without explanaitions.

Ojamajo Doremi - 40

Wow, level
witch already,
if just Doremi hadn't jinxed herself at the beginning of the episode.
Aiko showing why she's the only competent witch, using her wits and magic only when it's necessary,
not using dumb(second and third door) or annoying(first door) lucky like Hazuki,
or Onpu-chan
who just straight out cheats.

Gargantia - 13 with TTGL spoilers...

Move over
Kamina, Chamber going to replace you. ;_____:

They have to explain things , otherwise it would make the whole deal with the "queen" meaningless.

BTW ,did you notice , the transformation set for cure Ace is different from the other 4 . She will be MOST LIKELY a stand alone fighter like milky rose.
BUY OUR NEW CURE ACE TOY ! , after all we did make a 2 sec close -up on it

She's also a new character, and we haven't seen stock footage of her transforming on her own yet. Standalone fighters generally don't have Cure in their titles, but only Milky Rose really fits the bill here.

Again, foreshadow is very important, which the only thing we had for a while was "she exists", no build up to who she is, which once again, was done everywhere else. Last week pretty much showed there was no chance of Regina being Cure Ace, but the fact that Cure Ace
is an entirely new character
is what's bullshit here, and makes the reveal the worst one of the entire bunch.

Toradora 22!

It's difficult to watch these characters continue to hide behind walls of false emotions. I'd calls this the Brave Face episode. Minori's goofy persona didn't prove to be enough of a defense against what she's hiding, so she burdens herself with even more work and responsibilities. That sort of self-destructive behavior is terrifying to watch, especially since she's convinced it's what's best for her. And Ami's not helping herself either by being bitter at both the world and herself. She really doesn't have anywhere to turn. But most of all, Taiga and Ryuji's dynamic is so different now. Taiga puts on the bravest of faces, and he's totally aware of it all - aware of the guilt, the self-hate, the suppressed feelings - yet he goes along with it. With everyone shutting each other out like this, I'm really worried; no one will be able to share how they really feel. That's why I found Yasuko to be the highlight of the episode. When I saw her note to Ryuji about getting a second job in order to support his education, I almost lost it.
We're here for you, man. We're here. And also fuck I need to go to bed, but I can't while someone is this close to the end of Toradora. I have to be here to witness it!

Also, I have to give you the same warning I gave Felix. When you get to the final episode, watch past the credits. This is very, very important.
Thanks for the encouragement! I remember coming across your advice to Felix about the post-credit scenes but I didn't know it was for the last episode so I've just been sticking around after the credits for each episode as a precaution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom