• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Can someone post one of these designs?
can't find the rest via google but this for starters:

C6zlx.jpg

What ever happened to 7th? Did Kill la Kill being a disappointment make him retreat to /a/?
idk but he's still on twitter

cajunator

Banned
*Sigh*

I think I'm going to get some sleep and hope I feel better in the morning. There's something that's annoying me, and I'm not talking about the C.Girls game thread thing or whatever.

Good night. Hope all goes well for everyone.

Good night Tenumi. hope you feel better whatevers botherin you.

Uh, I think MAL screwed up the episode count for Princess Tutu, lol. Says it's 38 episodes when there's apparently only 26 lol.

Princess tutu has a weird episode layout and episode lengths. Its not a normal sized show.

I guess tomorrow night will be Kuttsukiboshi for the friends and we'll finally grasp what the hubbub is about for Arjuna 9

Arjuna 9 is a special occasion and you should savor the moment.

I watch anime with 1 irl friend, not friendS. We have another that might watch a couple of shows. But I have yet to watch a show that I didn't have to prewatch before them

I watch it with one IRL nowadays but sometimes also my roommates. But they are more into PC gaming.

It's a shame that something like Nanana's Buried Treasure would air in the same programming block that once had Wandering Son.

There are a finite amount of programming blocks. Something you like or dont like inevitably replaced something else at the time. Nanana's is actually a pretty cute show and Tensai is easily the best girl in it. Shes so adorable. I love her.

Omg, those guys look hilarious. In a totally non-racist, non-sexist way, of course. Apparently the first volume of the manga comes out in English next week. I can't believe this is getting a domestic US release.

Crocodile

If he didn't realise that the imagery he drew could be conceived as racist he probably wouldn't have thought about whether or not said imagery would be perceived as racist or not while drawing it. Either he didn't know so it was rather unfortunate or he did know and he did it on purpose and your hate only makes him stronger.

I dunno why but reading this makes me crossed eyed O_O

Anyway, my point was I don't know enough about the manga or the author to know if they were being maliciously, unintentionally or accidentally "racist" but I do know that these designs are too close to comfort to past imagery that has clear racist connotations. My intention is not to say "if you like this manga you're a bad person" or that "the author of this manga is 100% a bad person" but rather explain why this imagery would make a lot of Westerners uncomfortable (it certainly makes me uncomfortable). It's going to be a topic of discussion in every English language forum this manga/show pops up on. Y'all just have to accept it.

Racist, sexist... Is anything safe to talk about anymore? :(

Who says we can't talk about sexist or racist things? Obviously there will be disagreement on what counts as sexist/racist but as long as you aren't promoting the problematic elements or are aware of why they are/could be problematic I don't see the problem.

Blusby

Omg, those guys look hilarious. In a totally non-racist, non-sexist way, of course. Apparently the first volume of the manga comes out in English next week. I can't believe this is getting a domestic US release.

I'll eat my shorts if the adaption ever gets put on Toonami.

duckroll

Haikyu - Episode 14

I like these quieter episodes between games. It's definitely important in terms of character development and just measuring the pace of the show instead of having full on shonen power stuff all the time. Also, this is probably the first episode in the entire show where a female character has managed to hold a conversation which indicates in any way whatsoever that she isn't just some window dressing. There also surprisingly wasn't any weird male gaze framing of the scene either. Lol.

Hope we actually get the new OP/ED in the next episode. I guess it wasn't finished in time for this episode? Or maybe they just wanted something a bit different to close off the first half the season.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
joke spoilers ._.
Apparently if you want to avoid learning stuff about new shows you should scour all parts of the internet for any possible clue paying close attention to every detail and then reporting on such details in full. That way you'll clearly not remember it by the time you actually watch it!

TUSR

Banned
manga rap cars

I watched the first 3 episodes of Madoka. Probably will binge it all this weekend depending on the weather.

Narag

Apparently if you want to avoid learning stuff about new shows you should scour all parts of the internet for any possible clue paying close attention to every detail and then reporting on such details in full. That way you'll clearly not remember it by the time you actually watch it!

Easier to forget about most "spoilers" than it is to get worked up over them.

Chariot

Thank you very much :)

joke spoilers ._.

Eh, it's pretty difficult to not look at a screenshot directly posted in a thread. I may be in the wrong here for asking selfishly, but I do think that this joke has more impact if you can experience it yourself.
Easier to forget about most "spoilers" than it is to get worked up over them.
I didn't feel worked up and I don't think I sounded worked up. But I think now I'm getting worked up over your tone. Is it really so difficult to just say "Dude, that isn't really a spoiler, your fun will not be lost, don't be so sensitive"?

Who says we can't talk about sexist or racist things? Obviously there will be disagreement on what counts as sexist/racist but as long as you aren't promoting the problematic elements or are aware of why they are/could be problematic I don't see the problem.

Simply based on observation, I just feel like there are certain discussions on GAF where you aren't allowed to have an opinion or point-of-view that differs from the majority. Otherwise you're a sexist-racist-asshole-piece-of-shit and get pounced on by everyone.

I'll eat my shorts if the adaption ever gets put on Toonami.

#BELIEVE

I think in some cases, people are seeing what they want to see. If they're looking for racial stereotypes in character designs, they'll look harder to try and find them.

Branduil

Looks guys stop judging if you'd studied history you'd know they're based on Homo Erectus and as all historians know Homo Erectus liked to shoot their guns sideways, ride together in pimped-out cars, and threaten to steal the white man's women.

Narag

Looks guys stop judging if you'd studied history you'd know they're based on Homo Erectus and as all historians know Homo Erectus liked to shoot their guns sideways, ride together in pimped-out cars, and threaten to steal the white man's women.

I'm glad I stayed up to see this post be made. :lol

Oh god, can we just skip to Summer OT2? Because this is going nowhere good. XD

TUSR

Banned
Good choice.

There are three movies out. The first two just retell the series. The third one is new content.

2 recap movies and 1 original. All by Shaft, just like the TV series.

Sounds like standard fare.

I have a few shows on my CR queue, which of these should I forget about?

Log Horizon (Only managed to watch 3 episodes)
The Idol Master
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions
White Album
White Album 2
Kokoro Connect
Sengoku Collection
Anon Natsu de Matteru
Love Live!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I admit I'm more on the no spoilers side but that's mostly because I stopped going to /a/ because of the excessive amount of spoilers posted for currently airing shows.

Blusby

how many movies are there, I heard there was another one coming out...

All done by SHAFT?
There are three films done by SHAFT yes, but I'd advise skipping the first two and just watching the third film. The reasoning is that the first two films are just recaps with some new animated sequences but nothing big so they're not really worth watching.

I kind of get that but I don't think the artist did a good enough job of trying to separate "caveman" from "problematic black caricature". Stuff like "rap cars" and "rapey imagery with light skinned women" REALLY don't help either.
I'm not sure where the "rapey imagery with light skinned women" is coming from as I've yet to come across anything like that in the manga. Terra Formars is juvenile, sure, but not Akame ga Kill! levels of juvenile.

Sounds like standard fare.

The Idol Master
White Album
White Album 2
Kokoro Connect
Sengoku Collection
Anon Natsu de Matteru
Love Live!

You should forget about the first White Album as it's terrible and has absolutely nothing to do with White Album 2 besides taking place years before it and having two of its characters included in a short reference of no consequence.

Simply based on observation, I just feel like there are certain discussions on GAF where you aren't allowed to have an opinion or point-of-view that differs from the majority. Otherwise you're a sexist-racist-asshole-piece-of-shit and get pounced on by everyone.
You must be thinking of a different forum.

wonzo

Banned
4x01_Flight_of_the_Phoenix_(030).png

Rainbow 13-14

13 was a recap episode. Skimmed most of it but didn't find any new content except maybe the last few minutes.

The remaining characters work together to get their revenge. Rather than kill their adversaries they choose to ruin them. The right choice, I don't think Sakuragi would condone their actions if they chose to kill them.

Now onto the next story arc. Let's see if they can keep the pace with the great first arc.

The Idol Master
White Album
White Album 2
Kokoro Connect
Sengoku Collection
Anon Natsu de Matteru
Love Live!
I like all of these shows, though I haven't watched White Album.

TUSR

Banned
You should forget about the first White Album as it's terrible and has absolutely nothing to do with White Album 2 besides taking place years before it and having two of its characters included in a short reference of no consequence.

Second time i've heard that.

I like all of these shows, though I haven't watched White Album.

They all looked appealing so I added them to my queue before I became hooked on the anime.

Im in too deep boys.

The real racists don't want us to know about our true origins.

#BELIEVE

I think in some cases, people are seeing what they want to see. If they're looking for racial stereotypes in character designs, they'll look harder to try and find them.

Should've just stuck to pedo callings

Rosebud was a sled.

Spoilers!

It is also an act of love for those fond of socks.

Maybe I missed a post or two but I don't think anybody is attacking you. I guess you disagree with us? We aren't going to run you out of town just because you do LOL

I didn't feel like I was being attacked, but I appreciate the sentiment. I'll just say I'm really tired and should probably head to bed soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom