• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

Terraformars is one of the few series i've actually read before a show or anything of the sort got announced.

Pretty excited.

Mecha

I saw that figma on AmiAmi yesterday, but I have absolutely no familiarity with the source material. What's it about?

Humans try to change mars habitat to one that resembles earths. To do that they send legions of cockroaches to mars. They send a group of people to mars to scope everything out and to get rid of the cockroaches and the cockroaches have evolved and mutated. Fast forward 20 some years a new, genetically modified team, arrives at mars. The teams members have been modified with certain insect, and when they take some shot they gain a unique power based on the insect they were modified with.

It presents itself in a serious manner, but it doesn't really take itself seriously IMO. A lot of the manga feels like Jojo's to me.

Edit: I'm tired as I write this, so here's a wikipedia summery if mine makes no sense at all:

"In an attempt to colonize Mars, 21st century scientists were tasked with warming up the planet so that humans could survive on its surface. They came up with an efficient and cost effective plan of sending cockroaches and mold to the surface so that the mold would absorb the sunlight and purify the atmosphere, while feeding the insects whose corpses would help the mold spread throughout the planet.

Five hundred years later, the first manned ship to Mars lands on the planet and the six crew members are attacked by giant mutated humanoid cockroaches with incredible physical strength later labeled as "Terraformars". The crew members are easily wiped out, but not before sending a transmission back to Earth. Decades later, a multinational expedition is sent to exterminate the mutated bugs and take control of the red planet just to be wiped out as well, except for two survivors who managed to return to Earth, with one of them swearing to one day return to Mars and avenge their fallen companions. As a third expedition is assembled, questions are raised about the true origin of the Terraformars and their connection with a mysterious disease that is afflicting mankind back on Earth.

To fight the Terraformars' strength and agility, the members of the second and third expedition undergo genetic modification to inherit the characteristics of other organisms, only possible after having a special organ implanted inside their bodies with only a 30% chance of surviving the surgery."

cajunator

Banned
Because we're an anime thread. One that has been told on several occasions to tone down the lewd.

A lot of threads have but ruining the fun for a whole group isnt the way to go just because of a small handful of people who cant follow rules.

At least it's always mofu monday in my heart.

Mofu is timeless Zachy.
Theres no right time to celebrate the squee.

I prefer the suit designed by Humikane DA GOD.

I do also!

It's...okay from what I've seen. I've only watched about halfway through of it and am meaning on finishing it later on.

The dub is good though, and I really like the first OP that plays often during the fights.

It's also full of CG mechs.

Princess Tutu - 1

Oh hey Killua from Hunter X Hunter! Fancy meeting you here and fancy you being the main love interest!

No Mr. Cat. Animal Crossing was after the left turn of Albuquerque.

Pardon me, Mr. Story Teller, but aren't you the main villain of that Phoenix Wright and Layton game? What are you doing here?

Wait, she actually is a Duck? Oh dear, maybe we ARE in Animal Crossing after all! What's your friend code Mr. Story Teller? How high are turnip prices going for in your town?

Lol it kinda feels that way doesnt it? Tutu is a weird but very refreshing and unique show. Cat is one of the greatest characters ever.

Clov

I'm all finished up with Sailor Moon S now! Liked this season much more than the last one. It felt like it kept keeping things more fresh. Of course, Haruka and Michuru were a bit part of it too. Loved them!

Probably will take a break from Sailor Moon for a while. Next up I should get around to watching Gintama.

Blusby

I didn't know the gaming side was so quick to jump the gun, really disgusting behavior.

Anyways, 8 episodes into Kids on the Slope and I am now loving it, the bromance is getting strong.

Branduil

looks like gsc announced their kkk figma line

bd5b26890d3f90553a3a8r0s1g.jpg

Is that a syrup bottle?

Clov

Threads like that remind me of why I went with an anime avatar that couldn't be totally recognized as an anime avatar.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Hunter X Hunter 2011 Episode 137
New Op, new ED, new characters, new, arc.
All interesting, ive known of Killua's
brother
that can in traditional togashi style, pass quite easily for a girl.

duckroll

Barakamon - Episode 1

Whoa, that was fantastic. I'm glad Kinema Citrus has made a really strong return to form after that disgusting Black Bullet show. Charming, creative, and just filled with love. This feels a lot like the sort of show which should be on noitaminA more often. It might be kinda typical, but I like the "city folk goes to live in the country" story format more often than not. It's always nice to see a positive and friendly community in a show about a person trying to figure out what to do with his life next. I find the character designs here pretty unique too, which makes it more memorable. Oh, and FANTASTIC ending sequence. It's a solo animation by Ryu Nakayama according to the credits, who's a young animator who did a lot of good work in the new Yozakura Quartet series too. Really nice loose animation style.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Humans try to change mars habitat to one that resembles earths. To do that they send legions of cockroaches to mars. They send a group of people to mars to scope everything out and to get rid of the cockroaches and the cockroaches have evolved and mutated. Fast forward 20 some years a new, genetically modified team, arrives at mars. The teams members have been modified with certain insect, and when they take some shot they gain a unique power based on the insect they were modified with.

It presents itself in a serious manner, but it doesn't really take itself seriously IMO. A lot of the manga feels like Jojo's to me.
I can't tell if this is better or worse than Sidonia. Or maybe it's the same series.

It might be a shambling corpse, but that corpse gave us Ping-Pong! That's got to count for something.
Two out of 10 ain't bad? :p

I try not to do hate-watches.
Crossdressing fetishes are fine aren't they?! lol

Jintor

Cowboy the Bebop 8 - "Waltz for Venus"

Another episode that would've benefited hugely from an extended runtime. The core setup is extremely cool - a small-time crook with a heart of gold on the run from a cartel bumps into Spike and involves him in his life - but the rapid sense of pacing means that there's not much time really to develop or draw out scenes. Still, some very good shots (the cowboy music as Spike is investigating his destination in the desert of Venus) and some cool background architecture (space miranets!), as well as the main side character being generally entertaining, make it a pretty cool episode. Also Faye bursts in on some dudes having gay sex and sticks a gun in someone's face, so that's great.

Cowboy the Bebop 9 - "Jamming with Edward"

Some cool shots of normal life on the Bebop while a conspiracy theorist exposits on live TV, so, nothing changed really.

This episode is so quotable, haha.

"I'm not the type to be led around by a woman"
"Then you'll have to lead her around."
"I'm even less the type to do that"

"Hackers are nerdy, pasty, tubby little geeks with triple-thick glasses, and this one is probably a demented otaku with smelly feet"

Heh, I always forget how multicultural space is in Bebop land. Clearly Indian doctor with appropriate accent on TV, good job dubbing team. Bunch of different ethnicities in the quick cut segment - great shot with Jet's feet as well as it montages. Love it.

Can't believe the Galactic Cops can just put out a bounty on an undefined target, lol. And then the Bebop crew just go all-in because Spike likes a challenge. Hey, whatever. Dude can meneuver by air jets. Fine by me.

I forgot they never mention the AI ever again haha, and man, Big Shot is so great. Fanservice host so great.

"There's three things that I particularly hate. Kids, animals, and women with attitude..."

Clov

Two out of 10 ain't bad? :p

Eh, I get your point. :p

Reminds me, one of my favorite shows from there, Mononoke, is finally getting a DVD release here this month. It's too bad we don't get the Blu-Ray, but it's only $20. I'm just excited to own it.

Crocodile

Not looking forward to all of the race related comments in the Terra Formars OT.

Edit: The Attack on Titan comparisons will also get old.

Maybe the original author should have thought about that before designing these creatures no? Whatever reception this show gets in the West will be nobody's fault but his/her own.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Maybe the original author should have thought about that before designing these creatures no? Whatever reception this show gets in the West will be nobody's fault but his/her own.
If he didn't realise that the imagery he drew could be conceived as racist he probably wouldn't have thought about whether or not said imagery would be perceived as racist or not while drawing it. Either he didn't know so it was rather unfortunate or he did know and he did it on purpose and your hate only makes him stronger.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If he didn't realise that the imagery he drew could be conceived as racist he probably wouldn't have thought about whether or not said imagery would be perceived as racist or not while drawing it. Either he didn't know so it was rather unfortunate or he did know and he did it on purpose and your hate only makes him stronger.
Can someone post one of these designs?

Racist, sexist... Is anything safe to talk about anymore? :(

Chariot

Sabagebu 01

It was nice to see a protagonist with a somewhat dirty personality and the humor was great, with the narrator and the over the top stuff. Also the fight was pretty engaging. C3-bu got shit on this.
Noucome OVA

And suddenly, School Days.
Could you link that image instead of posting it directly? I feel somewhat spoilered. I have yet to see the NouCome OVA and would like to be surprised by the jokes, since the show relies a lot on surprise and randomness.

Mokoi

Banned
So Terra Formars can come off as racist? Is it just like the whole aldnoah zero Martians and earthlings deal? I know nothing about the source just what has been said here so far.

Edit: after looking at the figure more I think know now.

Jintor

Cowboy the Bebop 10 - "Ganymede Elegy"

Ein looks so disappointed in the intro, haha.

I think from memory this is the first of any episodes to delve into Jet's past, and it's a hell of a start. The Singing Sea...

The little scene with Faye and Spike on the police steps is great. They really play up the comic relief aspects of the episode while Jet keeps it serious. The quick cuts during Jet and his old flame's conversation... I never noticed them the first few times, I think, but they're really striking.

Fanservice shots of sunbathing Faye. No sexualising Ed tho!

Jet's speech is heartbreaking. But so is Elena's response. Time never stands still.

The first time I saw this episode, I thought her boyfriend was kinda pathetic, but now I realise that I'd basically been judging them by the metric of the Bebop. As a person, he seems basically just in over his head as opposed to out and out useless Hard to tell without more elaboration, but the flashback without words serves to humanise him a little. Well, then when he tries to break and run, he turns out to just be a shitheel again, lol.

This chase scene with the light vocal song that seems very dreamlike feels like it ties into one of Bebop's core themes to me, about the inability to escape from the past. But there's a lot of power in the scene with Jet's implacable walk. The framing, the composition of shots, the silence, the sound effects... it's so amazingly strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom