• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're watching both of those in the same night?

Do you need someone to check in afterward and see how you're doing?

Man I don't know how you guys manage to double dose some of this stuff.

It's because it's one of the few times where I open up my pathological asshole for this stuff.

I'm going to be enjoying the ride.

That programming block has also aired Black Rock Shooter, Guilty Crown, and Fractale, LOL. It's the actual quality shows with mature sensibilities that are rare on the timeblock these days.

Noitamina has been watered down since it moved to the hour-long format, which is unfortunate, but it still comes up with good shows such as Silver Spoon and Pimg Pong and has upcoming good-looking projects in Terror in Resonance and Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso. So the slot hasn't become worthless.

Okay, I can certainly see your perspective.
You had me here.
That said, I don't think that all entertainment media is going to suddenly curb itself to be completely innocuous to any person who might possibly ever view / listen to it.
Then you lost me.

Edit: Fuck it, I know where this is going. I don't want to kill the mood since I already brought up sexism during the last 24 hours.

Branduil

Noitamina has been watered down since it moved to the hour-long format, which is unfortunate, but it still comes up with good shows such as Silver Spoon and Pimg Pong and has upcoming good-looking projects in Terror in Resonance and Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso. So the slot hasn't become worthless.

Sure, just like there are still good anime in general. But it's been obvious for a long while that they've strayed from their original mission in order to pursue otaku dollars, much like the anime industry at large.

Sabagebu! 01

Surprisingly enjoyable but mostly due to the narrator. One of the more enjoyable shows I watched today so it's getting a pass from me.

Jinsei 01

Didn't really catch my attention enough. I guess it could be funny but it would have to do something for me to watch it through first.

Hanayamta 01

I think the dancing parts are interesting but outside of that it wasn't at all.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal II 122-123

Suddenly all the supporting characters realize how useless they been. AND THEN PROTAG MERGES WITH SPACE ALIENS AND CREATES A SPECIAL FIELD EFFECT CAUSE THIS ISN'T A CARD GAME ANYMORE

Sure, just like there are still good anime in general. But it's been obvious for a long while that they've strayed from their original mission in order to pursue otaku dollars, much like the anime industry at large.

Yeah, well, turns out that trying to appeal to people who don't normally watch anime isn't a very financially sustainable business model for anime.

Right now the noitamina block is basically being kept afloat by Aniplex, so it's mostly Aniplex's call as to what gets put on it. It could be far worse.

Busaiku

noitaminA shows used to be crazy cause they were late night shows that got high ratings and high video sales.
That fell off after Eden of the East.

Clov

I wasn't talking about quality in that instance.

See this clip.

As much as I like that particular character, that is pretty bad. It's unfortunate, but outside of Wandering Son I can't think of many anime that have positive portrayals of trans characters. Isabella from Paradise Kiss comes to mind, though.

Jintor

As much as I like that particular character, that is pretty bad. It's unfortunate, but outside of Wandering Son I can't think of many anime that have positive portrayals of trans characters. Isabella from Paradise Kiss comes to mind, though.

I saw a few gifs of a character in Jellyfish Princess floating around, but I never picked up proper context. Seemed relatively okay though... but again, I never got around to watching it.

Quasar

You know given the stuff that comes via manga anyway I just wonder what the crossover is for manga readers and folks who watch those kinds of things.

Not very high otherwise I guess shows like Silver Spoon would do much better.

Not that I agree that after Eden of the East was when a slide started. There is an awful lot of great stuff after that.

Clov

I saw a few gifs of a character in Jellyfish Princess floating around, but I never picked up proper context. Seemed relatively okay though... but again, I never got around to watching it.

I don't think that character, Kuranosuke, is trans since he seems to identify as male. You should give the show a watch though, it's pretty good! Ending seemed a bit rushed, but the characters are wonderful.

As for noitaminA, it is unfortunate that they've "sold out" in a way. At the same time, they're responsible for a good portion of my favorite anime, and even now they release something great occasionally. I'm happy they're around, even if they're not exactly the same.

Jex

Man reading what came out today I guess that's two days I have nothing to watch. I lost interest in Hunter x Hunter and Majin Bone. Might eventually come back to the former once more episodes of the current arc are going on. But yeah. Maybe wednesday will have good shows.

Well, this new Hunter x Hunter arc won't last 60 episodes.

That son-of-a-bitch Shiroe did it. What a boss. It's too bad the episiode of the reveal at the roundtable was dragged out and held your hand the whole way. I hope at some point Log Horizon stops it with the explainations for everything.

mankoto

Momo Kyun Sword 01
Not as lewd as I expected. Momoka has nice peaches though.
I'm not sorry.

Back to Space Brothers

Quasar

That son-of-a-bitch Shiro did it. What a boss. It's too bad tge episide of the reveal at the roundtable was dragged out and held your hand the whole way. I hipe at some point Log Horizon stops it with the explainations for everything.

It is kind of unfortunate the show makers aren't really willing to trust their audience. But really that's the kind of handholding I expect.

That son-of-a-bitch Shiro did it. What a boss. It's too bad tge episide of the reveal at the roundtable was dragged out and held your hand the whole way. I hipe at some point Log Horizon stops it with the explainations for everything.

It is kind of unfortunate the show makers aren't really willing to trust their audience. But really that's the kind of handholding I expect.

From what I understand it airs on a more educational leaning channel, so that might be why it feels the need to explain even the most basic MMO thing.

Momo Kyun Sword 01
Not as lewd as I expected. Momoka has nice peaches though.
I'm not sorry.

Back to Space Brothers

Think I'll stick to something good and virtuous like Rail Wars.

Jintor

Can't think of many shows that wouldn't handhold you through that kind of thing, at least not off the top of my head. Even GiTS SAC laborously pauses to explain things to you around the climax of every episode

Kvik

Sidonia no Kishi #1-3

Impressions:

- I rather like the sound effects and mechanical designs overall. It had that sci-fi looks which is rather sparse and not 'clean' like other mecha anime (like how the suits they wear looks scruffy)
- I can get behind the idea of
genetically modified intersex humans, but photosynthesizing in merely 100 years
?
- 3 episodes in, and already a sizable harem collection is amassed. :-\
- Of course they should have a SEELE-type council behind the scenes who pulls all the strings. lol.

Overall, I rather like what I've seen so far. A little better than Aldnoah Zero, even. Looking forward to watch some more tonight.

Quasar

From what I understand it airs on a more educational leaning channel, so that might be why it feels the need to explain even the most basic MMO thing.

And really I can understand it in this case. I mean I'm sure there is plenty of folks who enjoy fantasy stories, who have no MMO experience. So writing it with the expectation that everyone understands the MMO ideas is a bit exclusionary.

Jesus, I need to check my posts before posting from my phone....those typos.

I'll live with the handholding as long as Log Horizon makes an even trade. So far it has enough other interesting things going for it that I'll survive. I really like how dark Sword Art Online got in it's first half, but the plot and relationships are way too rushed. If only SAO could've taken it's time like Log Horizon, it might've been a masterpiece.

Jintor

SAO didn't get dark enough. Or rather, it got dark enough but didn't treat the darkness with enough weight? Or maybe it was just that half the darkness seemed to result from abject stupidity. Perhaps all these things are true.

I'm going to go watch my Bebop blu-rays

Jintor

I hate to harp on about this but the main villain
completely forgot why he was doing what he was doing and jesus christ I've gone crosseyed again

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
completely forgot why he was doing what he was doing and jesus christ I've gone crosseyed again

It's like Kawahara realized how dumb his story is.

Crocodile

The current discussion regarding noitaminA is why I'm so glad that stuff like Space Dandy seems to be doing super well. More products targeted or made with international sensibilities in mind might not guarantee AAA+++ quality titles but it will at least offer us variety and something to look forward to that isn't otaku bait :p

Okay, I can certainly see your perspective. That said, I don't think that all entertainment media is going to suddenly curb itself to be completely innocuous to any person who might possibly ever view / listen to it.

Yeah I'm going to have to step in and confront you about this. While I admit I don't know too much about this particular show, its pretty obvious why the clip posted is objectionable and I have no idea why you are opposed to someone calling the show out on that. There's a difference between being overly PC and just adhering to basic standards of not making shitty jokes at the expense of others. The clip shown trends way to close to the later for my comfort and those of others.

You guys are forgetting the best noitaminA show
SAMURAI FLAMENCO

NO

SAO didn't get dark enough. Or rather, it got dark enough but didn't treat the darkness with enough weight? Or maybe it was just that half the darkness seemed to result from abject stupidity. Perhaps all these things are true.

I'm going to go watch my Bebop blu-rays

SAO tried to go dark but it was impossible to take seriously if you were at all paying attention or older than like 13. Expecting us to care about a character who died to their own stupidity not even 10 minutes ago or sticking an ass-shot in the middle of a murder investigation is not the way to do "grim dark" right.

wonzo

Banned
looks like gsc announced their kkk figma line

bd5b26890d3f90553a3a8r0s1g.jpg

Narag

dude just wanted to share his world like kawahara wanted to share his book!

I don't think that character, Kuranosuke, is trans since he seems to identify as male. You should give the show a watch though, it's pretty good! Ending seemed a bit rushed, but the characters are wonderful.
Cross-dressers/transvestites fall under the transgender umbrella. I don't know if they use the shorthand "trans" to refer to themselves but in the context of transphobia in media their representation matters too.
Why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom