• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simply based on observation, I just feel like there are certain discussions on GAF where you aren't allowed to have an opinion or point-of-view that differs from the majority. Otherwise you're a sexist-racist-asshole-piece-of-shit and get pounced on by everyone.

I want to be in this alternate universe version of GAF where racism and sexism (sexism especially) aren't tolerated by anyone, because it sounds glorious.

But really, the response to someone bringing up that something might be racist or sexist isn't to turtle up, get defensive, double down on what you were saying, or play the card that your opinions are being stifled. The better response in that situation is to sit back, try to see things from the other person's point of view, and evaluate the situation calmly from that perspective. Maybe you'll learn something new about yourself by doing that. Because it doesn't do any good to just kind of stick your fingers in your ears anytime someone complains about sexism.

And if a show you like is a little bit sexist, that's not the end of the world. You can recognize that a show has some sexist undertones in places, and still think that it's really enjoyable. The show can survive being called sexist. But maybe some people who face casual sexism every day of their lives will be a little bit better off if you at least acknowledge the existence of that sexism.

Chariot

It seem too many poster miss the joke in that thread
I certainly did miss it, but he didn't made any efford to explain it after people gave pointed out that the disliked the post.

i guess nobody's interacted with deafmutes in any capacity before, lol
I didn't in any meaningful way and I don't think that it can be expect to know everyone's posting style, even if it's mod.

Jintor

I know why everyone jumped on him, it's just funny cos if you knew him it'd be absurdly clear he was just kidding around but since no-one did he basically got shanked.

Dirty tasmanians. *shakes head*

Quasar

I certainly did miss it, but he didn't made any efford to explain it after people gave pointed out that the disliked the post.

I didn't in any meaningful way and I don't think that it can be expect to know everyone's posting style, even if it's mod.

And given the climate of treatment to people with such avatars its really unfortunate for a mod to be doing that, even in jest. It just encourages those other people.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I know why everyone jumped on him, it's just funny cos if you knew him it'd be absurdly clear he was just kidding around but since no-one did he basically got shanked.

Probably because people are sick of it. There's a point where you don't joke about things. Remember when a certain surprise was all the rage to put in screenshots but eventually it was frowned upon because it upset people?

Dirty tasmanians. *shakes head*

yeah bad timing to be joking around where people are declaring that they rather be raped than murdered and other nonsense that happened in that thread.

Rin got such a good image in the newtype.
tumblr_n8fvuxisfr1svw11co2_1280.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
Japanese threads get some of the nastiest stuff in terms of posts,full of mud slinging,on GAF.

God damn. It seems like a Japanese thread is locked once every two weeks or so.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
was following the whole thread, and by the end, i really can't tell what is sarcasm and what ain't anymore :(

Understandable.
If i never see Thosedeafmute post history, i'd probably going to be pissed too. But yeah, it's basically like throwing a gas canteen to a fire. A terrbly placed bad joke.
==========================================================

Sabagebu 1

I'm liking it so far. Think Kojima going to tweet this?

cajunator

Banned
Japanese threads get some of the nastiest stuff in terms of posts,full of mud slinging,on GAF.

God damn. It seems like a Japanese thread is locked once every two weeks or so.

every country has some fucked up shit in it but Japan seems to get singled out a lot.
I just think its people being insecure.

/XX/

I'm beginning to suspect that there was never a point where Miyazaki wasn't wound up to the point that being pricked with a pin wouldn't cause him to pop like a blood balloon.
One needs courage to not let permeate that kind of negativity on whatever you work in.

Considering that they really need all their movies to be "big hits" to keep Ghibli in business I'm surprised they aren't resorting to making slightly more 'mainstream-y' movies that are designed to pull in money. When Marie Was There doesn't look like that at all and I feel part of Arrietty's success comes down to it being a known IP.
Is a TV series like Ronia The Robber’s Daughter their answer to that situation? A scaled down project in collaboration with another animation production studio and based on another known IP that they can use to leverage their acquired fame towards, and solely because of that attract viewers.

Looks generic and the directors don't have a lot of experience in their roles. Trigger must grinding for experience for their neglected units. /SRPG allusion
Wait, wait a moment... Masahiko Ōtsuka is the complete opposite of inexperienced! As not only he is the one that keeps the gears going at TRIGGER Inc., but also is one of the big people at the industry when it comes to supervising projects and aiding on direction. Important to note that at GAiNAX he (as other greats like Masayuki) had a support role on practically all of the studio's productions since the early-00s and, although not always properly credited, that kind of work by commission (and the old 'chaos strategy' Mr. Okada sometimes mentions) was a particular way of planning and devising that brings forth his own merits as well.

As a writer he is extremely balanced, because he tends to be razor-sharp focused on proper character development and thematic consistency for works that normally have been driven by very 'laid-back or chaotic concept' mishmashes, adding a depth that has been key in structuring and consequently important to any production he has been in. Those traits add up to his vision as a director too!

That kind of formal approach, and careful channelling of such ideas into a proper narrative, probably stems from his roots on live-action filmmaking, and I have asked myself before... how difficult it must have been to end up working alongside Isao Takahata just coming for the first time from another industry altogether! That speaks volumes of his talent to be diving head first into Japanese animation working under a person like Mr. Takahata who carefully selects one-by-one those apt by his very high-standards to work alongside him (a experience he has talked about before, in sadly untranslated interviews; http://web.archive.org/web/20040804...inax/otsuka/otsuka_1st/otsuka_1st_scene2.html & http://web.archive.org/web/20040804...inax/otsuka/otsuka_1st/otsuka_1st_scene3.html).

I wonder if I qualify for the anime avatar untermenschen. It's not from an anime (something worse actually!), but does it look like it is?

Blusby

I think all of the servants were better in Zero. It had the better berserker thats for sure.

Nahhh

SN Lancer > Deermud
FSN Archer > Gil
SN Berserker > Gary Stu Lancelot
SN Caster > Big eyed pedo
SN Assassin > Literal non character
SN Rider = Zero Rider

Future Diary 19

Heh. Suddenly they have a disclaimer. And it's about law? Funny.

Yukki finally pulls it together and... Oh, it's just an act. But then it's not. All the diary users have been revealed then, and the identity of that third person. Would have been my second guess about who it was.

Jarmel

Banned
Wait, wait a moment... Masahiko Ōtsuka is the complete opposite of inexperienced! As not only he is the one that keeps the gears going at TRIGGER Inc., but also is one of the big people at the industry when it comes to supervising projects and aiding on direction. Important to note that at GAiNAX he (as other greats like Masayuki) had a support role on practically all of the studio's productions since the early-00s and, although not always properly credited, that kind of work by commission (and the old 'chaos strategy' Mr. Okada sometimes mentions) was a particular way of planning and devising that brings forth his own merits as well.

As a writer he is extremely balanced, because he tends to be razor-sharp focused on proper character development and thematic consistency for works that normally have been driven by very 'laid-back or chaotic concept' mishmashes, adding a depth that has been key in structuring and consequently important to any production he has been in. Those traits add up to his vision as a director too!

That kind of formal approach, and bonding of concepts, probably stems from his roots on live-action film-making, and I have asked myself before... how difficult it must have been to end up working alongside Isao Takahata just coming for the first time from another industry altogether! That speaks volumes of his talent to be diving head first into Japanese animation working under a person like Mr. Takahata who carefully selects one-by-one those apt by his very high-standards to work alongside him (a experience he has talked about before, in sadly untranslated interviews; http://web.archive.org/web/20040804...inax/otsuka/otsuka_1st/otsuka_1st_scene2.html & http://web.archive.org/web/20040804...inax/otsuka/otsuka_1st/otsuka_1st_scene3.html).

I think Femme's issue is with Takahashi who has only directed a number of episodes. Takahashi is a little weird as he's never even worked on a Trigger production before, unless he did some unaccredited work or something.

That said, Femme is sort of right in that Trigger is 'grinding' their newbies, like LWA and KLK. However that's standard stuff. I do expect Ninja Slayer and whatever Imaishi's new work is, to look significantly better than KLK. Trigger is putting some effort into their animators and hopefully it pays off.

Nahhh

SN Lancer > Deermud
FSN Archer > Gil
SN Rider = Zero Rider

See, you had a good list going until the bolded sections.

Mecha

I kind of get that but I don't think the artist did a good enough job of trying to separate "caveman" from "problematic black caricature". Stuff like "rap cars" and "rapey imagery with light skinned women" REALLY don't help either.

I don't know how you can make a humanoid version of a cockroach that doesn't have dark skin. If people wish to see them as "racist depictions of black people", that's their issue. Also, the whole car scene has nothing to do with them having "rap cars", they stole the vehicles and learned how to use them. The scene was made to show their rapidly progressing evolution and adaption of technology. The "rape imagery" scene was one panel of multiple enemies grabbing a girl to kill her in the next panel. If people have issues with these things then whatever, but I view it as reaching to grab something that isn't there.

Nahhh

SN Lancer > Deermud
FSN Archer > Gil
SN Rider = Zero Rider
FSN Archer > FZ Archer
FZ Saber > FSN Saber
FSN Berserker > FZ Berserker
FSN Rider > F/Z
FSN Assassin > FZ Assassin
FZ Lancer > FSN Lancer
FZ Caster > FSN Caster

I speak nothing but the truth.

besada

Banned
so mods have pretty much made their stance on anime avatars public now

Time to go back to having delicious dessert avatars like in the early 2000s I guess.

Well, TDM did, not "mods." Mods are people, and they have their own take on things. Assuming that every mod agrees with every post of every other mod is just silly. We disagree with each other, discuss it, and generally come to a consensus. And sometimes, one of us posts a silly post. I wouldn't make it into something it's not -- like some well-defined mod policy to hate on anime avatars -- especially given that a number of mods have anime avatars.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well, TDM did, not "mods." Mods are people, and they have their own take on things. Assuming that every mod agrees with every post of every other mod is just silly. We disagree with each other, discuss it, and generally come to a consensus. And sometimes, one of us posts a silly post. I wouldn't make it into something it's not -- like some well-defined mod policy to hate on anime avatars -- especially given that a number of mods have anime avatars.
The problem is that when mods shitpost other posters feel enabled to do the same.

/XX/

I think Femme's issue is with Takahashi who has only directed a number of episodes. Takahashi is a little weird as he's never even worked on a Trigger production before, unless he did some unaccredited work or something.
Yeah, I can understand that, but seeing Femmeworth say directors in plural made me think otherwise. Sorry if I misinterpreted your words, Femmeworth!

About Mr. Takahashi... maybe he is a recommendation from ex-GAiNAXers Mr. 'GORIPON' Nishigori and Mr. 'Crotch Director' Takamura... :-D

Mecha

Just a natural way to draw humanoid cockroaches using guns. It can't be done any other way.

How would you draw humanoid cockroaches unskillfully shooting guns? I guess they have to keep their guns not tilted so it isn't racist.

Yes, I will keep talking about this as long as others do.

Branduil

How would you draw humanoid cockroaches unskillfully shooting guns? I guess they have to keep their guns not tilted so it isn't racist.

Yes, I will keep talking about this as long as others do.

Insert photoshop of that cockroach girl holding an uzi here.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

So that is what all the hubbub was all about.

Well, as it is we get to hear tragic stories of youth sitting playing for days straight without food or anything and dying because of it, it's not going to get better with these in their hands. It's not that the issue is with the device but some people instead and the possibility of something like that in their hands destroying them. Not every body can do self control and moderation sadly and even then you might think you can but then when it happens you can't, like any addiction. You might be an addict and not realize it yourself. The thing is we can't anticipate what kind of effect this thing can have, it can be normal like any other product out there, you can't help everybody or can be more widespread, not that simple.

I agree with that but if i have to explain what i was trying to say is more something among the lines of " if the problem is already there in some extent, i don't think it's going to be worse given that the majority will still have connexions to reality, instead of losing yourself within a fake one"

It won't help, but i don't believe it will make thing worse. As the minority that will lose themselves in those will still be a minority.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Momo Kyun Sword Episode 1:

Well, this show certainly knows what it wants to be, I shall give it that, and that is the Rule 63 version of The Legend of Momotaro.

Conan-san

Barakamon 1

Is this being done by some Honey and Clover guys?

Also, is Naru's animation being done pre-animation or did they get the VA to sniff on que?

Momo Kyun Sword Episode 1:

Well, this show certainly knows what it wants to be, I shall give it that, and that is the Rule 63 version of The Legend of Momotaro.

Thank to your post , i actually went to check how many rules there are out there and if i missed any.

It seems that it's been a while that rule 63 was popular and i didn't know about it.
that it was a rule on the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom