• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

is this new too?

1404927561-yande-re-20291626-20sample.jpg

from drop's account some hours ago

Jex

You guys have one episode analysis that are longer than my whole series analysis.

That wasn't even that long by Jarmel! Could have got another few thousand words out of that episode easily. Although certain works are more deserving of this treatment than others and certain shows are just richer in terms of content.

Future Diary 22

Hm... Still 4 episodes left. More episodes than people at this point...

If I had to guess I'd guess it has something to do with what they said about
bringing people back but they don't have the soul
or something, but I dunno.

Chariot

Is there an alternative link for the new promo? I can't watch it :(
That looks like a joke to me. As an Englishman I can discern these things using our superior joke-detecting capabilities.
Please, I am german. We are known for our great sense humor and weapons.

Jex

For those interested in serious visual analysis of anime (and film and TV etc), Scott has added some more visual essays to his "Internet Film School" which you can find here. I heartily recommend them to anyone with a passing interest in the subject.

besada

Banned
Contest:
d23uMIZ.jpg

The image above is part of the master background for an anime. If one of you can tell me where it's from, I'll get you tagged in a good way.

To be clear, I don't know where it's from. A friend who works for Heritage found it listed as "anime background." He's trying to mail it down to make it available for auction.

I figured if anyone could come up with an answer, it would be you guys. If you already have a tag, I'll owe you one.

Do I need any real knowledge of the Fate universe to completely get this? I'm waiting for the Stay Night remake before I take a real look at the franchise. A spin-off shouldn't hurt though.

You'd miss some of the jokes and references. But plot wise there's no connection, it's an alternate universe spin-off.

Midonin

Do I need any real knowledge of the Fate universe to completely get this? I'm waiting for the Stay Night remake before I take a real look at the franchise. A spin-off shouldn't hurt though.
Illya was actually the first entry in the franchise I watched. There are a few in-jokes that may go over your head, but it's a solid magical girl entry on its own. (And my personal favorite part of the franchise.) The rules of magic operate largely on their own rules, AU and all.

Contest:
[IG]http://i.imgur.com/d23uMIZ.jpg[/IMG]
The image above is part of the master background for an anime. If one of you can tell me where it's from, I'll get you tagged in a good way.

To be clear, I don't know where it's from. A friend who works for Heritage found it listed as "anime background." He's trying to mail it down to make it available for auction.

I figured if anyone could come up with an answer, it would be you guys. If you already have a tag, I'll owe you one.
My wildest guess would be Berserk. But I'm on mobile couldn't provide proof or research.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Contest:
d23uMIZ.jpg

Looks like something from The Rose of Versailles to me.

Even though it's next Trigger show,it still "looks" nothing like Trigger lol
ISyotBc.jpg

Man screw moe garbage Trigger is where it's at, they make awesome shows like Kill la Kill and stuff, can't wait for their next thing

so mods have pretty much made their stance on anime avatars public now

Time to go back to having delicious dessert avatars like in the early 2000s I guess.

I KNEW IT WAS IN THAT THREAD

I made sure to pick the avatars that easily had a counterattack in the form of laughing

Spider girl ? in anime ? i require examples.

ONCE MONSTER MUSUME GETS ANIMATED YOU'LL ALL SEE

Color palette is way off.
Like I said wildest guess based off fantasy-esque looking background and castle. And what fantasy series is more well known than Berserk?

My other guess was going to be that recent anime where the manga Otaku gets sent to the fantasy world so he can spread the love of anime and make his own fantasy harem including the cnet princess. But that one is less likely.

Jarmel

Banned
Like I said wildest guess based off fantasy-esque looking background and castle. And what fantasy series is more well known than Berserk?

My other guess was going to be that recent anime where the manga Otaku gets sent to the fantasy world so he can spread the love of anime and make his own fantasy harem including the cnet princess. But that one is less likely.

It's a background art cel. That means it's pre-2005 essentially.

Blusby

God after how beautifully grimdark fate zero was I'm afraid those not in the know about stay night's harem-esque stuff will be so disappoint

Well, HF is pretty grimdark so edgekids will be pleased.

Also this new TRIGGER show, I hope it's an actual broadcast-worthy animation this time, and not a disappointing mess of motion tweening and cg like Kill la Kill was.

Contest:
d23uMIZ.jpg

Hmm....with that kind of description it's possible this picture might not be from an anime at all.

I've seen this case before. Just because you might see a drawing of an anime character or something somewhere, doesn't necessarily mean it's from an anime in of itself. Might just be an original picture.

So that's my guess. Just an original picture that has nothing to do with anime.

mankoto

Illya was actually the first entry in the franchise I watched. There are a few in-jokes that may go over your head, but it's a solid magical girl entry on its own. (And my personal favorite part of the franchise.) The rules of magic operate largely on their own rules, AU and all.

You'd miss some of the jokes and references. But plot wise there's no connection, it's an alternate universe spin-off.

I figured I'd miss a few jokes, but if it has the alternative universe thing going for it and it's a different genre altogether, I'll go ahead and give it a look.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Love Stage!! Episode 1:

The Dedication Through Light is going to be very happy this season, very happy indeed, I think this is like the fifth show this season I have seen with a yaoi bent. Indeed this may be the most intense of the group since it is the only the is seemingly embracing the boys love thing the most. Anyway, show looked fine for what it was and maybe I give this a few more episodes before giving a full decision on the matter.

Jarmel

Banned
It's most likely pre 2000.

Yea pretty much, I was CYA.

Hmm....with that kind of description it's possible this picture might not be from an anime at all.

I've seen this case before. Just because you might see a drawing of anime character or something somewhere, doesn't necessarily mean it's from an anime in of itself. Might just be an original picture.

It has numbering in the corner so chances are high it was used in a production.

Narag

Contest:
d23uMIZ.jpg

Reminds me of berserk TV offhand.

Jex

I've seen this case before. Just because you might see a drawing of anime character or something somewhere, doesn't necessarily mean it's from an anime in of itself. Might just be an original picture.

Well, to add fuel to your theory the top of the cel is tagged "B.G." as in "background" but a Japanese artist wouldn't tag their work that way, assuming that tag wasn't inserted later. It also says "77C" which maybe implies it's in a large series of backgrounds from perhaps a movie? But it isn't widescreen...

None of the stylistic sensibilities reminds me of anything I've seen in Japanese background art.

I don't recall Berserk being so cheery and flowerly in the background unless it's a alternate world berserk.
Did you read/watch berserk? The castle they go to is pretty fucking cheery
during the first time they enter and the party and before the murder and sex

Hence my guess. Like I said this was from the top of my head I didn't research. Best case scenario now is for someone to recognize the castle.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Contest:
d23uMIZ.jpg

Record of Lodoss War? I have no idea ;.;

Defuser

I'm struglling to think what kind of fantasy movies would have this kind of background setting I can't think of any. Tineye didn't get any results so the movie wasn't that well known probably.
Did you read/watch berserk? The castle they go to is pretty fucking cheery
during the first time they enter and the party and before the murder and sex

Hence my guess. Like I said this was from the top of my head I didn't research. Best case scenario now is for someone to recognize the castle.
I do read berserk but since this cell art most likely came from a movie, I immediately wrote it off because Berserk didn't have a movie many years ago till the CG movies. If it was from a TV series I would still wrote it off since I don't recall this setting ever takes place during the golden age arc.

Jex

I'm struglling to think what kind of fantasy movies would have this kind of background setting I can't think of any. Tineye didn't get any results so the movie wasn't that well known probably.

There's so many fantasy OVA's from the 80's/90's that aren't that well known.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom