• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

Prisma Illya 2wei 01

The pan up to the bridge from the water looks the same as it always did back in "oath sign", but here it heralds a return to a more peaceful place. Where the order of the day is not murder, but swimsuits and intimate ice cream sharing. Tatsuko, you are kind of amazing in your insanity. The ley line issue was a good way to reintroduce the characters, and I love Illya and Miyu's sparkly new double transformation sequence.
Played to the sounds of Luvia and Rin nearly drowning.
The ending is alright, and the picture book visuals are cute.

The parallels to the main F/SN story are pretty obvious from the get-go, and here they're not exactly making it a mystery. Also looking forward to seeing where this one goes. Especially now that I have more knowledge of the Fate franchise than I did last year.

TUSR

Banned
I'm actually enjoying it so far ....but your post is now making me uneasy.....

Well i plan to finish that serie today so , there won't be long before you hear my thoughts

Keep me posted, I've been wanting to talk to someone about this and Brynhildr .

Chariot

So, back to business, nameley underage animated girls shaking their asses. Why did I just watched underage anime girls shacking their asses in the camera? Why can't they just be simply cute :(
Well, anyways, now I am ready for the second season.

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILYA 2wei! 01
I first thought it would just be the OVA, but I actually don't know anymore who their classmates are. I am so glad that there is the new edit version of Psycho-Pass before the second season, or I might have forgotten every character expect holo squid until then.
The transformation sequence did get 100% more graceful with the screaming and bickering, I love it.
Archer Illya looks slutty in the ED.

TUSR

Banned
Nanan is one of those shows that would have benefited extremely from a 2 cour order.

There is just too much going on.

That Nanan show was really weird. At first I considered it quite enjoyable but... that anime just doesn't really know what it wants to be? Like the plot is all over the place, there's suddenly a lot of background for pretty much every character and it becomes very shonen-y. Just ergh. Then it seemed like they were keen on adding an, unfortunately super generic, villain before the season's ending.

Well and then it ends without much really happening (don't we love that -_-) and was overall little more than an noncohesive mess.

I kinda liked the basic premise with the ghost girl and solving her mystery, as well as some of the characters (even that stupid 'trap' stuff was actually kinda funny). But the show was just too blown up with all it's side plots and characters. Guess that's most likely because it's the adaptation of a somewhat big anime? Wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
10 hours of intense Googling later…

this_screenshot_is_totally_legit_and_totally_not_a_photoshop_using_episode_one_of_sword_art_online.jpg

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILYA 2wei! has to be one of the silliest names I've ever seen.
ArcSys is laughing at that name.
Its almost as unpronounceable as Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel.

Jinsei 1
Cute and strange. They give really interesting answers to those life counseling questions. Also has a decent bit of fanservice

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Contest:
http://i.imgur.com/d23uMIZ.jpg[IMG]
The image above is part of the master background for an anime. If one of you can tell me where it's from, I'll get you tagged in a good way.

To be clear, I don't know where it's from. A friend who works for Heritage found it listed as "anime background." He's trying to mail it down to make it available for auction.

I figured if anyone could come up with an answer, it would be you guys. If you already have a tag, I'll owe you one.[/QUOTE]

Man, this is some hard level stuff!
I have try searching ebay and some store specialized in selling background cels, but i find nothing. Hmm, can i post it somewhere else outside of neogaf? Maybe some of my friend can find out about it.
======================================================
@BWGW
Ohyou.jpg

TUSR

Banned
I dropped nananananannaa around ep 5. Does it get better?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: if season 2 happens, sure.

One more guy and I watched the entirety of Brynhildr already. It was glorious. We kept laughing about it here you missed it.

Fuckkkkkk, I would have loved to shit on that abomination of a show with you guys. What a complete disaster.

That Nanan show was really weird. At first I considered it quite enjoyable but... that anime just doesn't really know what it wants to be? Like the plot is all over the place, there's suddenly a lot of background for pretty much every character and it becomes very shonen-y. Just ergh. Then it seemed like they were keen on adding an, unfortunately super generic, villain before the season's ending.

Well and then it ends without much really happening (don't we love that -_-) and was overall little more than an noncohesive mess.

I kinda liked the basic premise with the ghost girl and solving her mystery, as well as some of the characters (even that stupid 'trap' stuff was actually kinda funny). But the show was just too blown up with all it's side plots and characters. Guess that's most likely because it's the adaptation of a somewhat big anime? Wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

This is a pretty decent summarization. When R_ is done ill post my analysis.

Yes it does (to me at least). The ending was really to be desired though. Wish they did more.

It doesn't really increase in quality, it gets murky.

Is a TV series like Ronia The Robber’s Daughter their answer to that situation? A scaled down project in collaboration with another animation production studio and based on another known IP that they can use to leverage their acquired fame towards, and solely because of that attract viewers.

Wait, wait a moment... Masahiko Ōtsuka is the complete opposite of inexperienced! As not only he is the one that keeps the gears going at TRIGGER Inc., but also is one of the big people at the industry when it comes to supervising projects and aiding on direction. Important to note that at GAiNAX he (as other greats like Masayuki) had a support role on practically all of the studio's productions since the early-00s and, although not always properly credited, that kind of work by commission (and the old 'chaos strategy' Mr. Okada sometimes mentions) was a particular way of planning and devising that brings forth his own merits as well.

As a writer he is extremely balanced, because he tends to be razor-sharp focused on proper character development and thematic consistency for works that normally have been driven by very 'laid-back or chaotic concept' mishmashes, adding a depth that has been key in structuring and consequently important to any production he has been in. Those traits add up to his vision as a director too!

That kind of formal approach, and careful channelling of such ideas into a proper narrative, probably stems from his roots on live-action filmmaking, and I have asked myself before... how difficult it must have been to end up working alongside Isao Takahata just coming for the first time from another industry altogether! That speaks volumes of his talent to be diving head first into Japanese animation working under a person like Mr. Takahata who carefully selects one-by-one those apt by his very high-standards to work alongside him (a experience he has talked about before, in sadly untranslated interviews; http://web.archive.org/web/20040804...inax/otsuka/otsuka_1st/otsuka_1st_scene2.html & http://web.archive.org/web/20040804...inax/otsuka/otsuka_1st/otsuka_1st_scene3.html).
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply he was inexperienced in general but as the head of a project. I looked at his resume on ANN and he is certainly a veteran of the industry. Also I might be misunderstanding what a "chief director" is.

sonicmj1

Kino's Journey 13

Well, that was unfair.

izjkyx0fFErD9.jpg
iwT3E1D76pyHL.jpg

The foreshadowing just makes things worse.

I'm not sure what else to say about this episode. It does a really good job at building a calm atmosphere. I like the gentle sunsets and scenery of the town. It sets everything up well for the conclusion.

There are a lot of bonus OVA episodes I haven't seen yet, but this is a really special series, and it's got a level of quality that's impossible to ignore. I feel like the direction rarely draws much attention to itself, but it's exceptionally well-handled. Kino's Journey is a show that balances a lot of tones, and things frequently turn for the worse. It could easily have become some kind of sadsack procession of melodramatic misery, but everything is done with the awareness of the show's central theme: "The world is not beautiful; therefore it is." We're asked to find meaning in the tragedy through understanding Kino herself. Why does she keep traveling? What is her purpose? I feel like the final episode makes that pretty clear.

This show is an absolute treasure, a must-watch for any serious fan of anime.

Ryuugajou nanana no Maizoukin - 07
Well that was a very good episode :

I had actually a number of screencaps to choose from but i settled for those 4 .. so much to talk about !
Ryuugajou%20Nanana%20no%20Maizoukin%20-%2007_04.jpg

Kiraboshi !
Damn that was a reflex
Nanana , well i can't dislike her ... i can't dislike someone who watches star driver , plays Phantasy star online or virtua fighter.
The advice was actually nicely done and the fact that she isn't a dumb plot device helps.It's too bad that she is stuck to this room and can't appear elsewhere in the appart it's a waste of plot device.

Ryuugajou%20Nanana%20no%20Maizoukin%20-%2007_02.jpg

What was it with spring and flags ?
Ryuugajou%20Nanana%20no%20Maizoukin%20-%2007_01.jpg

Secret skill: bragging to make one drop his guard: IT's Super effective !
Master detective is actually not acting like a detective at all ... as much as i like the dynamic between Her and the MC , something still prevent me from enjoying it..i have no idea why or what ATM.
Well as for the nanana treasure i was actually right ! it wasn't hard to guess but it's still ok to be right ! I did misunderstand the MC motives but all is right since it had the intended effect.

Anyway, the meat of the episode was actually the fight.
The change of pace from each step of the fight was actually very entertaining and teh fight itself was very nicely animated. So far all the ninja fights were actually nicely done and i enjoy this.
We get more insight on how that underground ninja world works as a result and i'm actually glad to see things unfold in this manner, everyone is still having things to hide and i'm still very pleased by how everyone is playing dumb and going along everyone despite the fact that everyone is hiding something. Damn i hope there is a suitable payoff for this.
Ryuugajou%20Nanana%20no%20Maizoukin%20-%2007_03.jpg

Damn that's convincing !
Well That was convincing in a way..the MC seem aware of his limits , but also aware of his goal and what he wants to do... i guess that means MORE BETRAYALS. Damn , maybe an emotional rollercoasters ? I guess i'm getting hyped for the next episode.

Kino's Journey 13

Well, that was unfair.

I'm not sure what else to say about this episode. It does a really good job at building a calm atmosphere. I like the gentle sunsets and scenery of the town. It sets everything up well for the conclusion.

There are a lot of bonus OVA episodes I haven't seen yet, but this is a really special series, and it's got a level of quality that's impossible to ignore. I feel like the direction rarely draws much attention to itself, but it's exceptionally well-handled. Kino's Journey is a show that balances a lot of tones, and things frequently turn for the worse. It could easily have become some kind of sadsack procession of melodramatic misery, but everything is done with the awareness of the show's central theme: "The world is not beautiful; therefore it is." We're asked to find meaning in the tragedy through understanding Kino herself. Why does she keep traveling? What is her purpose? I feel like the final episode makes that pretty clear.

This show is an absolute treasure, a must-watch for any serious fan of anime.
It is my greatest shame but I've never actually finished Kino's Journey. I started it like 5+ years ago and never got around to finishing it.

This has inspired me to try again.

Soma

trigger's stuff

so with no prior knowledge of this story i'm gonna guess...

Redhead = tsundere who eventually falls in love with protag
Pigtails = shy, possibly childhood friends with protag (whom she's in love with)
Dark hair = Cool, famous, probably belittles protag all the time (and falls for him at some point)
Blonde = Mysterious, maybe evil
and falls in love with protag

TUSR

Banned

Pigtails = shy, possibly childhood friends with protag (whom she's in love with)
Dark hair = Cool, famous, probably belittles protag all the time (and falls for him at some point)

omg spoilers

i bet this is 90% accurate

/XX/

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply he was inexperienced in general but as the head of a project. I looked at his resume on ANN and he is certainly a veteran of the industry. Also I might be misunderstanding what a "chief director" is.
Oh, I see... yeah, it could seem that way, although I have total confidence in Mr. Ōtsuka's capability, which leads us to the description of the role a 'chief director' has, who most probably acts as additional supervisor for the 'series director' and its work.

Redhead wins because she is the tsundere redhead. Pigtails stops trying to get MC because she's happy just seeing him happy and doesn't want to upset redhead.

cajunator

Banned
If anyone here is an anime artist and would be interested in doing a favor for the mods, please PM me.

hmm sounds interesting

is this new too?

from drop's account some hours ago

Nice art. Completely not related to FSN. But cute anyway.

Yessssssssssssssssssss

Contest:
d23uMIZ.jpg

The image above is part of the master background for an anime. If one of you can tell me where it's from, I'll get you tagged in a good way.

To be clear, I don't know where it's from. A friend who works for Heritage found it listed as "anime background." He's trying to mail it down to make it available for auction.

I figured if anyone could come up with an answer, it would be you guys. If you already have a tag, I'll owe you one.

Ohhhh. Thats nice. The style seems like older BG art, and since its cel its pretty old like Jex said. Its nothing I recognize though.

How much money do I have to throw at my monitor to make this mine? Guess it explains some of the recent pixiv fanart.

I dont know but I really want it too! Saw some stuff on twitter that seems to be from it.

Well it appears i must add another anime to my backlog.

It will ( let's dream together ) .. Hopefully after kancolle.

Its a really short animation project. Part of a student thing or some.

besada

Banned
If someone would like to post the image in another fora, you're more than welcome. I don't care how you get the answer, I just hope someone finds it.

And, since I mentioned the cel my buddy found of GE999, here it is:
pHk1mO0.jpg

Knowing trigger this is going to be the opposite since people will expect exactly that

Chariot

Since it's a Light Novel adaption I certainly won't bet against that, Trigger or not.

Narag

If someone would like to post the image in another fora, you're more than welcome. I don't care how you get the answer, I just hope someone finds it.

And, since I mentioned the cel my buddy found of GE999, here it is:
pHk1mO0.jpg

That's so hot.

Wish I could have splurged on some of the mononoke hime cels linked a year or two back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom