• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has numbering in the corner so chances are high it was used in a production.

Well, to add fuel to your theory the top of the cel is tagged "B.G." as in "background" but a Japanese artist wouldn't tag their work that way, assuming that tag wasn't inserted later. It also says "77C" which maybe implies it's in a large series of backgrounds from perhaps a movie? But it isn't widescreen...

None of the stylistic sensibilities reminds me of anything I've seen in Japanese background art.

Well, with the fact that it's been labelled as "anime picture" and all this evidence that it may have been used in a production, it could be near impossible to determine what anime show or movie this is from or if it even IS from an anime at all.

We don't even know who the actual artist to this is.

Pooya

if I had to guess maybe background for game, it's just the image doesn't look like it belongs to something animated, the position and everything look unusual for that.

fire emblem games, specially the two on Wii/gc have lots of painted castle backgrounds like that, but this one isn't from there.

Jex

if I had to guess maybe background for game, it's just the image doesn't look like it belongs to something animated, the position and everything look unusual for that.

fire emblem games, specially the two on Wii/gc have lots of painted castle backgrounds like that, but this one isn't from there.

Yeah the shot looks weird for an actual piece of animation both in terms of perspective, ratio and because it's completely devoid of characters.

Caesnd

That paint job and art style of the cell does have a very western look to it, and as far as I know most Japanese studios used 10x9.5 inch sheets as far as up to around 2006-2007 at least, movies being the exception (being larger by quite a margin).

Also the chalky tone of the color and the way it is layered reminds me more of gouache than poster paint.

I do think I have seen some Japanese cells use alphabetical annotations for things like "BG" and the like instead of 背景 though.

Jex

That paint job and art style of the cell does have a very western look to it, and as far as I know most Japanese studios used 10x9.5 inch sheets as far as up to around 2006-2007 at least, movies being the exception (being larger by quite a margin).

Also the chalky tone of the color and the way it is layered reminds me more of gouache than poster paint.

I do think I have seen some Japanese cells use alphabetical annotations for things like "BG" and the like instead of 背景 though.

What's with this guy? Stop dropping so much knowledge!

CorvoSol

I tried to reverse image search it.

0YbB0wm.gif

"I've done all I can do."

besada

Banned
Yeah the shot looks weird for an actual piece of animation both in terms of perspective, ratio and because it's completely devoid of characters.

Well, it wouldn't have characters, as it's supposedly a background piece. This would have been film production, where the background remained static, while characters floated above it on cels.

My friend recently found another piece marked as "anime man and woman" which turned out to be a cel from Galaxy Express 999. Heritage Foundation buys up giant lots of this stuff and has historians figure out where they're from, before they price it for auction. My buddy is more a western comics expert than an anime expert, so I thought I'd check with the experts.

Future Diary 23

Aha.

Well, my guess wasn't completely correct. And that was actually not a
preview of things to come at the start of episode 1 then, but the end of the first incarnation.
But with the possibility of
time travel
comes a way to fix things maybe?

Midonin

Momo Kyun Sword 01

There's a lot of parallels one can make between this summer and the last one. Aside from some direct sequels, there's also an airsoft series, and if I had to find a counterpart for Momo Kyun, it would be this season's Leviathan, though it feels more confident in itself than that. A cast of big name voice actresses (including reuniting all four main cast members from Yuru Yuri) in a slightly fanservicey, ultimately fun adventure.

The quasi-magical girl nature of this with Momoko's various fusions intrigues me. The Celestial Maiden Team are fun as supporting characters - though Momoko has at least seven people acting as backup to her. That's more than enough to raid a dungeon. The demons are going to need to be powerful in order to make things balance out. Which is why Onihime/Momoko looks to be this year's equivalent of Homura/Asuka. A simple fantasy quest type deal. It knows exactly what it wants to be, and it's exactly what I wanted it to be too. Momoko's got a lot of work to go to become a heroine, but that's all part of the journey itself.

Looking forward to more!

Well, it wouldn't have characters, as it's supposedly a background piece. This would have been film production, where the background remained static, while characters floated above it on cels.

My friend recently found another piece marked as "anime man and woman" which turned out to be a cel from Galaxy Express 999. Heritage Foundation buys up giant lots of this stuff and has historians figure out where they're from, before they price it for auction. My buddy is more a western comics expert than an anime expert, so I thought I'd check with the experts.

Heritage Foundation, as in insane conservative think tank?

Jex

I appreciate that, I simply meant in terms of the location of where the characters would appear, but then again it's probably just an establishing shot. Sadly I'm certain that the still is from some anime film from a period that I'm not personally familiar with such 70's-80's.

I've just checked out around 20 possible anime titles with the right setting and none of them seemed to match.

Mature

Contest:
d23uMIZ.jpg

The image above is part of the master background for an anime. If one of you can tell me where it's from, I'll get you tagged in a good way.

To be clear, I don't know where it's from. A friend who works for Heritage found it listed as "anime background." He's trying to mail it down to make it available for auction.

I figured if anyone could come up with an answer, it would be you guys. If you already have a tag, I'll owe you one.
It's clearly from The Heroic Legend of Arslan.

I actually have no idea. But as others were saying, it strikes me as more of a western produced image.

I'll tell you one other feeling I got about that image. It gives me Miyazaki vibes. I don't know, it's probably the colour direction of it all and the lightness in tone the picture has. It just feels like something that could be a production shot of a background from one of his movies.

besada

Banned
I appreciate that, I simply meant in terms of the location of where the characters would appear, but then again it's probably just an establishing shot. Sadly I'm certain that the still is from some anime film from a period that I'm not personally familiar with such 70's-80's.

I've just checked out around 20 possible anime titles with the right setting and none of them seemed to match.

I'd guess it was from the 80's, personally. And that would make sense, given it was in a box with the Galaxy Express 999 cel.

besada

Banned
I'll tell you one other feeling I got about that image. It gives me Miyazaki vibes. I don't know, it's probably the colour direction of it all and the lightness in tone the picture has. It just feels like something that could be a production shot of a background from one of his movies.
That's funny, because it reminded me of Nausicaä.

Jex

There's no European square castles in any of his works. The most famous Ghibli background artist is Kazuo Oga and it doesn't remind me of his style at all.

Chariot

I tried my luck with reverse image search too, even cutting out parts of the image, but no luck. On a positve note, I found many amazing backgrounds. Not the one we searching for, but still beautiful. Even if I get no tag, I got some nice views.

Jex

This shouldn't actually be that hard to work out (assuming there are images of the work in question online) because there are actually very, very few anime titles that feature medieval European settings.

Jarmel

Banned
This shouldn't actually be that hard to work out (assuming there are images of the work in question online) because there are actually very, very few anime titles that feature medieval European settings.

That's assuming it's an anime and not some Western thing.

Caesnd

What's with this guy? Stop dropping so much knowledge!

Just trying to help! "Mysteries" like these are pretty fun.

Besides, I'm probably way off base anyway.

The layout is centered on this castle, yet it has a very simple design. Very stylized and simplified, it looks like one of those "intro shots" you would have with a narrator on top. This is what spurs me to think it's of western origin the most.

What's more, The aerial perspective doesn't look like it would allow for much foreground activity in terms of animation.

If it really is a Japanese production piece, then I'm even more interested in finding out about it, simply because I can't recall having ever seen anything like it.

Well if it's a production shot it may very well be. I mean, if reverse image searches are working for nobody, the only way to actually prove where this image is from would be to ask the artist itself. Which we do not know.

The general evidence we have on this is as follows:

1. It's most likely an in-production background shot
2. The style of the image makes it seem like it's from an anime film during the 70s or 80s.

I'm still going to hold out on my guess that it isn't from any anime at all, but rather an original picture labelled as one. It may have been a production shot for an anime, but proving which one it's from would take a lot of inside knowledge from the industry.

With all we have to go on, this could prove to be a fruitless search. And all somebody's getting out of this is a tag.

Perhaps more people would work much harder at this if they were promised mod status, lol.

Jex

Well if it's a production shot it may very well be. I mean, if reverse image searches are working for nobody, the only way to actually prove where this image is from would be to ask the artist itself. Which we do not know.

The general evidence we have on this is as follows:

1. It's most likely an in-production background shot
2. The style of the image makes it seem like it's from an anime film during the 70s or 80s.

I'm still going to hold out on my guess that it isn't from any anime at all, but rather an original picture labelled as one. It may have been a production shot for an anime, but proving which one it's from would take a lot of inside knowledge from the industry.

With all we have to go on, this could prove to be a fruitless search. And all somebody's getting out of this is a tag.

Perhaps more people would work much harder at this if they were promised mod status, lol.

Wow that greed, it's just a small query! I meant it should be that hard if it's from a known anime, as opposed to an OVA/TV series. I've checked about 40 titles to no avail so I am bowing out of this race for now!

/XX/

It most probably was a background on a stack including a cel for filming judging by the tap drills on top of the image... and having said that, aren't the oblong pegs on a typical Japanese tap (peg-bar) wider and less thick? I think Caesnd is on the money with his first deduction.

I genuinely thought it was the castle of berserk where
they attack and guts kills the 100 men from
. Man I'm gonna probably rewatch some of those this weekend I own them in high def. Dat cg future.
If I have to do what you did to get your tag I'll gladly be tagless. :p

That took like 5 minutes tops. It's called creative writing. A dragon taught it to me as we were battling a horde of orcs. The battle kept dragon on.

Haven't you heard? Even castles are getting the naughty treatment now. I give you Max Factory's 1/300 Himeji Castle from Samurai Princess Muramasa:

Huh. Wonder what Edinburgh and Prague Castle will look like.

Calling it now, Neuschwanstein is the best castle.

I feel like my anime knowledge is being tested and I am failing it. I have gone through so many different anime and images.

I gave up after reverse image search didn't work.

You guys are far more dedicated then I.

Wow that greed, it's just a small query! I meant it should be that hard if it's from a known anime, as opposed to an OVA/TV series. I've checked about 40 titles to no avail so I am bowing out of this race for now!

Lol, I was only saying more people would join the search here if they found out you'd get mod status as the prize if that were the case. I'm not that greedy. :p

Besides, something as important as mod status shouldn't be handed out in a contest like this anyway. I was only making an example there.

Ryuugajou Nanan no Maizoukin - 06

Ryuugajou%20Nanana%20no%20Maizoukin%20-%2006.jpg

Damn the smell of betrayal in the air

Everyone is friendly BUT Everyone want the treasure for themselves. This anime is a constant " who is going to betray who ?"
-The mc ?
-The ninjas ?
-The club president ?

Meanwhile the detective is just looking for more situation to do "detective things" and even thought she guessed it already , won't reveal all this time.

I mean , given by how this episode went ,
The mc went to the house, took the treasure, mixed in within the pudding adressed to nanana and went back to the inn after leaving a dummy , all before the club president tried to win it.
I'm actually certain that the master detective saw trought that ruse because let's face it , there was too many clues provided. I hope to be wrong next episode

Anyway the episode itself was alright given that it was , at his core a hot spring episode, the amount of fanservice was quite low. I do like the Principle of the trap room with hot water to get to the treasure and that ninja action when he felt in the hot water to came back instantly wasn't bad.

Off to see the next ep!

Wasn't that scene
in the forest
? Or was that
after the castle battle
?
It was sorry Should've clarified. I meant it as
the army came from that castle as in guts and the guys were attacking them. It's either that or the town where Grifith came from. Which I think it's the same place lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom