• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've considered buying a cel but since most shows I've seen are post digital days I don't really recognise any of the cel shows when I go to a place selling them.

Short question, what does PV stand for? PreView? Promotional Video?

Also: There are so darn many animes out, this summer season alone. I've heard the anime industry is struggling anyways but damn, with how low DVD/BR sales seem to be, even if they're costly, and considering how expensive a properly animated series is still, how long can that industry sustain that many studios?

Short question, what does PV stand for? PreView? Promotional Video?

Also: There are so darn many animes out, this summer season alone. I've heard the anime industry is struggling anyways but damn, with how low DVD/BR sales seem to be, even if they're costly, and considering how expensive a properly animated series is still, how long can that industry sustain that many studios?
PV = Preview

I guess it could be promotional video as well as they kinda mean the same thing.

Pooya

so with no prior knowledge of this story i'm gonna guess...

Redhead = tsundere who eventually falls in love with protag
Pigtails = shy, possibly childhood friends with protag (whom she's in love with)
Dark hair = Cool, famous, probably belittles protag all the time (and falls for him at some point)
Blonde = Mysterious, maybe evil
and falls in love with protag

childhood friend one is indeed correct.

Chariot

Shuffle and True tears are why i hate love polygons.

At least everyone loses in School days.
True Tears is more like a love triangle.
bar girl never stood a chance. But I am still really salty about the show flipping Noe over and literally ending with her crying alone. Fuckers.
And I actually liked Shuffle.
Protagonist wasn't the brightest lamp, but he had at least the balls to not go together with a girl he don't loves and just said no to everybody but his true love. Not like Ichika where I am still riddling wether he has any sex drive at all.
When does Trigger do the opposite of what people expect?
This here.
The three Trigger shows are very different, but consequent in what they are.

Tenumi

Banned
So I've been waiting for a good chance to rewatch this. It finally showed up, so...

Digimon Adventure: 01

mPAMUDa.jpg

First episode's rather quick and easy, to be honest. Introduces the characters, establishes the premise, and what kind of things to expect. Good start to the series overall.

I've of course watched Digimon back when it aired on Fox Kids in the US. Obviously, I might slip in an English name or two subconsciously, but I'm gonna try to stick to the language I'm watching.

And yes, I currently plan to watch through at least the 4th season.

cajunator

Banned
I love me some grimdark anime. I was hoping for FSN grimdark but I don't think this is even possible. :(

Actually, grimdark is quite possible with FSN. Even the Deen production had some really dark moments (which was mood whiplash cause of the haremshit)

Well, it wouldn't have characters, as it's supposedly a background piece. This would have been film production, where the background remained static, while characters floated above it on cels.

My friend recently found another piece marked as "anime man and woman" which turned out to be a cel from Galaxy Express 999. Heritage Foundation buys up giant lots of this stuff and has historians figure out where they're from, before they price it for auction. My buddy is more a western comics expert than an anime expert, so I thought I'd check with the experts.

Ive checked some standalone OVa's like Villgust but nothing is matching. the style and exaggerated yet simple appearance of this definitely looks more like a western style cartoon BG. IVe seen several fantasy medieval anime shows before but nothing looked like that.

The fact the ed wasn't Nanana Nanana hey hey hey goodbye means I'll never watch that show

That would be licensing nightmare and no doubt very expensive.

10 hours of intense Googling later…

this_screenshot_is_totally_legit_and_totally_not_a_photoshop_using_episode_one_of_sword_art_online.jpg

Did you ever know that youre my Hero?

Kino's Journey 13

Well, that was unfair.

I'm not sure what else to say about this episode. It does a really good job at building a calm atmosphere. I like the gentle sunsets and scenery of the town. It sets everything up well for the conclusion.

There are a lot of bonus OVA episodes I haven't seen yet, but this is a really special series, and it's got a level of quality that's impossible to ignore. I feel like the direction rarely draws much attention to itself, but it's exceptionally well-handled. Kino's Journey is a show that balances a lot of tones, and things frequently turn for the worse. It could easily have become some kind of sadsack procession of melodramatic misery, but everything is done with the awareness of the show's central theme: "The world is not beautiful; therefore it is." We're asked to find meaning in the tragedy through understanding Kino herself. Why does she keep traveling? What is her purpose? I feel like the final episode makes that pretty clear.

This show is an absolute treasure, a must-watch for any serious fan of anime.

Quite an ending wasnt it? Bet you never expected that hehee.
Second greatest anime of all time. The OVAS/movies definitely tell an interesting story too.

Rainbow 15-16

It's a repeat of Prison Break! Can Scofield plan another miraculous escape? Oh wait, never mind that was resolved quite quickly.

This is the first anime I've seen deal with the themes surrounding rape. I have to wonder what the rape culture is like in Japan as Mario was willing to go to prison for seven years to keep that girl's secret that she had been violated.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Free! Eternal Summer 02
This was actually maybe the best episode Free! has ever had. The more enthusiastic and vibrant Rin gives a really likable character for the show to follow. The new character that's been introduced offers a good dynamic that opens up a serious side that's still interesting to follow without feeling overbearingly melodramatic. The pacing here all felt very deliberate with the right rises and falls that led up to a low stakes action scene that was fun to watch, in part because of the incredible animation.

cajunator

Banned

Such cuties. This will be fun ^^

Somehow protagonist manages to look even more generic in his single picture.

But at least I can finally make my arkward hoverhand Otaku look at my totall real waifu photoshop and become hoodking of the internet.

Hnnnnnngh. Best girl right there. Sadly no chance of getting with MC. Imminent tears.

If someone would like to post the image in another fora, you're more than welcome. I don't care how you get the answer, I just hope someone finds it.

And, since I mentioned the cel my buddy found of GE999, here it is:
pHk1mO0.jpg

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
*hugs it

I've considered buying a cel but since most shows I've seen are post digital days I don't really recognise any of the cel shows when I go to a place selling them.

I would recognize a lot probably. Where would you buy them?

Truth! People are just jealous because they know that no one else in that show can match her.

I dunno about that but shes a sweetie and I love sweetie characters.

mankoto

Love Stage 1
Oh snap, I forgot this was the yaoi one. The name made it sound like the 1000th idol related thing airing this season and blindly put it on. As someone that's never been interested in watching yoai and yuri related materials, I actually really enjoyed this. I'll keep an eye on this if not watch it outright.

Midonin

In the original novel series' story, the five members of the literature club awakened with extraordinary powers half a year ago. Although the members expected to be thrown into a world of super-powered battles (inō-battle) at their school, their normal daily routine continued. No secret organizations bent on world destruction, no super-powered wars, no braves or demon kings.

However, the members still look forward to the possibilities of adventure, and continued to believe that with each day, they were getting ever closer to those days of fantasy. Their days of romantic comedy and battles with extraordinary powers begin!

For a long time, yes.

Jarmel

Banned
The funny thing is that you guys haven't even seen the PV for Inobattle. That visual art was the only thing that had me even remotely hyped about Inobattle.

That said, the PV is very well animated.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I would recognize a lot probably. Where would you buy them?
In a shop with the ultra creative name of Japanese Gallery. You have to go to their store to really see their stuff as their website doesn't list much. So unless you're planning a trip to London not much use to you.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Momo Kyun Sword 1

The main heroine is introduce within the fist minute of her onscreen time as 'girl with big boobs' (not literally those words, but basically that was the gist). So that should tell you if this show is for you or not.

Most of the other females on display are also well endowed with life and their is blushes everywhere. Her design does remind of a slightly more competent (slightly) Shinobu from Ninja Nonsense though I doubt the humour will be as good as that show's.

Midonin

Funi will be simulcasting it, but the first episode isn't up yet. My guess is that they'll put the first two episodes up this Saturday.

Momo Kyun Sword 1

The main heroine is introduce within the fist minute of her onscreen time as 'girl with big boobs' (not literally those words, but basically that was the gist). So that should tell you if this show is for you or not.

This one didn't really do much for me. It feels too generic to me. And the way the heroine's costume frames her boobs to look like a peach is ridiculously silly. XD

I may give it another episode or two to win me over, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom