• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lurky

The Illya Show Season 2 episode 1

oops... It took me a while to realize I was drooling. Also, that girl who doesn't open her eyes creeps me out. I keep thinking that she might be evil.

The Opening of Barakamon is so wonderful. It's rare to find Openings that evoke emotions and that's what I feel Barakamon does so very well. It evokes an heart-warming feeling that makes you smile. The way it blends the music, visuals, and characters is brilliantly done. Opening itself is the top of the season. What are your thoughts Animegaf, top of the season for openings.

http://youtu.be/qN9uQYwDFYM

so-good.gif

So Good.

Clov

It's up there for sure. Both the song and the visuals are great! There's still some stuff left to debut, though.

CorvoSol

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann 3

So, I'm rewatching this (and a bunch of other stuff because I need to wash my mouth out) and I think it's helping me to really put Kill La Kill into better perspective. It's evident even at this early stage of Gurren Lagann that there's a stronger theme in place, and a larger picture that the team is working on trying to build. I doubt anybody could really have said that they could have entirely foreseen where the show would end, but at the same time, knowing where it does end you can see the groundwork being laid for it early on in this show. For instance, Simon's driving fear of death, especially of
Kamina's death
and his nihilistic view in the opening narration that the ceiling will one day crush everyone he knows and loves to death help to prepare for
Kamina's eventual death
and demonstrate just how much Simon grows over the course of the series. Kamina's advice, insane as it is, helps to provide the emotional encouragement for Simon's character while simultaneously setting the tone for the show's world. It's hard not to look at Kill La Kill now and notice how obvious the change of plans midway through the show is, and as someone who actually enjoyed KLK a fair amount, how much that show pales in comparison to TTGL.

I hate to be the one to say this, but I think an obvious cause for many of Kill La Kill's problems is actually Inferno Cop. Or rather, I think a lot of things in KLK happened because Inferno Cop happened and was met with such approval.

Consider: The opening of TTGL is in many ways as hyper as the opening of KLK, but the former also slows itself down considerably to spend time developing Simon and Kamina's relationship, while I don't feel that KLK does for Ryuuko. The hyper, nonstop energy of KLK reminds me of the kinds of gags in Inferno Cop, the whole sense of humor of the show does, really. Note, for instance, the way battles are frequently interrupted in KLK for comedic breaks, or how some characters, specifically Nui, do that strange flat-mode thing, as if to evoke Inferno Cop's own flat-motion. I think that in Inferno Cop the sense of humor worked, but when translated into a show like KLK it either wasn't what people wanted, or didn't work. For what it's worth, though, the humor in KLK is still a step above the humor in Panty and Stocking.

But I mean, Gurren Lagann is also a funny show, it's just that the way it goes about its humor seems less in your face than KLK. Which is perhaps the most bizarre thing for a show like Gurren Lagann, where being over the top is the soup du jour. An example of what I mean is that in this episode, when facing Viral, Kamina unsheathes his blade, and as a visual gag he never finishes doing so. The sword's blade goes on seemingly forever. Another show might feel the need to take this joke too far and call attention to it, but Gurren Lagann relies instead upon the belief that the sight gag is funny enough that it doesn't need to bludgeon you with it.

I don't mean to rave about how much better than other shows Gurren Lagann is, nor how I think it's some phenomenal masterpiece, though I do think the show manages quite nicely to be a rare piece where everything lines up in just the way it needs to. Nor do I want to leave the impression that Gurren Lagann is perfect and without flaw. I just think it's worth appreciating that Gurren Lagann is a show into which significant thought and patience went, whereas I feel like Kill La Kill suffers both from a less confident vision and a less structured sense of humor, the latter being the product of Inferno Cop's existence.

Mokoi

Banned
No one liked my GAF-tan designs boo hoo hoo

I did, and also plan on using it as a picture for giveaways from now on. That is if you don't mind.

The Opening of Barakamon is so wonderful. It's rare to find Openings that evoke emotions and that's what I feel Barakamon does so very well. It evokes an heart-warming feeling that makes you smile. The way it blends the music, visuals, and characters is brilliantly done. Opening itself is the top of the season. What are your thoughts Animegaf, top of the season for openings.

http://youtu.be/qN9uQYwDFYM

So Good.

Well it's definitely top tier for me. However, there is still two other openings that I want to see before I make that claim.

Mature

The Terror in Resonance OP song is pretty catchy. Didn't think much of it when I heard it the first time, but I've been humming it lately. As I said in my impressions, I think the ED is the star of the show though.

sonicmj1

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 1

First, can I just say how much I love the OP? I think hosanna might have mentioned it in response to a PV or something, but the horns and the doo-wop backup vocals just make my day when I hear them. It's very fun and breezy.

As for the show itself, I didn't like this episode as much as Love Lab's pilot, it still has shots of Dogakobo's trademark energy. I really like how Sakura moved as she agonized in her head, or how she dashed up the stairs to confirm Nozaki-kun's identity. And watching the two of them try to iterate on shoujo manga ideas reminded me of the love research in Love Lab.

Unfortunately, I felt like a few jokes kind of dragged. In particular, the setup for her final failed confession felt like it went on forever. I like how grounded most of the humor is (that first bike ride is kind of delightful), so we'll see how it evolves as the show progresses.

It's good all in all, and I can stick with it for now.

The Terror in Resonance OP song is pretty catchy. Didn't think much of it when I heard it the first time, but I've been humming it lately. As I said in my impressions, I think the ED is the star of the show though.

Is the Opening top of the season material.

So I've been waiting for a good chance to rewatch this. It finally showed up, so...

Digimon Adventure: 01

First episode's rather quick and easy, to be honest. Introduces the characters, establishes the premise, and what kind of things to expect. Good start to the series overall.

I've of course watched Digimon back when it aired on Fox Kids in the US. Obviously, I might slip in an English name or two subconsciously, but I'm gonna try to stick to the language I'm watching.

And yes, I currently plan to watch through at least the 4th season.

Digimon Adventure is one of my favorite shows (the franchise in general has a really special place in my heart). Great first episode, and a great show in general with a really good soundtrack and some great character development.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann 3

It's hard not to look at Kill La Kill now and notice how obvious the change of plans midway through the show is, and as someone who actually enjoyed KLK a fair amount, how much that show pales in comparison to TTGL.

I hate to be the one to say this, but I think an obvious cause for many of Kill La Kill's problems is actually Inferno Cop. Or rather, I think a lot of things in KLK happened because Inferno Cop happened and was met with such approval.

Consider: The opening of TTGL is in many ways as hyper as the opening of KLK, but the former also slows itself down considerably to spend time developing Simon and Kamina's relationship, while I don't feel that KLK does for Ryuuko. The hyper, nonstop energy of KLK reminds me of the kinds of gags in Inferno Cop, the whole sense of humor of the show does, really. Note, for instance, the way battles are frequently interrupted in KLK for comedic breaks, or how some characters, specifically Nui, do that strange flat-mode thing, as if to evoke Inferno Cop's own flat-motion. I think that in Inferno Cop the sense of humor worked, but when translated into a show like KLK it either wasn't what people wanted, or didn't work. For what it's worth, though, the humor in KLK is still a step above the humor in Panty and Stocking.

But I mean, Gurren Lagann is also a funny show, it's just that the way it goes about its humor seems less in your face than KLK. Which is perhaps the most bizarre thing for a show like Gurren Lagann, where being over the top is the soup du jour. An example of what I mean is that in this episode, when facing Viral, Kamina unsheathes his blade, and as a visual gag he never finishes doing so. The sword's blade goes on seemingly forever. Another show might feel the need to take this joke too far and call attention to it, but Gurren Lagann relies instead upon the belief that the sight gag is funny enough that it doesn't need to bludgeon you with it.

I don't mean to rave about how much better than other shows Gurren Lagann is, nor how I think it's some phenomenal masterpiece, though I do think the show manages quite nicely to be a rare piece where everything lines up in just the way it needs to. Nor do I want to leave the impression that Gurren Lagann is perfect and without flaw. I just think it's worth appreciating that Gurren Lagann is a show into which significant thought and patience went, whereas I feel like Kill La Kill suffers both from a less confident vision and a less structured sense of humor, the latter being the product of Inferno Cop's existence.

You hit the nail on the head right there with all those points (though I do think of TTGL as a phenomenal masterpiece :p). Kill la Kill just doesn't develop its characters as much as TTGL does. Though quite frankly, I think they were going for a more comedic aspect than an adventure aspect with KLK. Which for the most part, it worked for me, but that's not what many people going into KLK were there for.

Like you said, TTGL is funny, but it doesn't throw the jokes in your face. The big scale of adventure is still there. There's a good reason why the Spiral King must be defeated. There's a good reason Simon and Kamina are doing what they're doing to save humanity!

And what's Ryuuko's reason for doing what she's doing? "She's gotta find out who killed her dad" yes, but what's the big purpose of it all? She doesn't know! All she says is "It doesn't feel right not knowing!" And she spends a lot of time throughout KLK trying to figure out just what it exactly her big purpose is even after she finds out the truth!

Whereas Team Gurren has already decided on their purpose long before that, and are going towards that destiny with all the force they can! With a song in their heart, as they march towards the sunset for the grand journey that awaits them!

There's just a much better sense of drive in TTGL than in KLK that does a really good job of showing you how important it is to everybody in TTGL after
Kamina gets killed. The drive to succeed becomes greater because of his death, and it only gets bigger and stronger as the series goes on.

cajunator

Banned
Wait does Barakamon air on Saturday or Sunday.

This show Im very much looking forward to!

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 1

First, can I just say how much I love the OP? I think hosanna might have mentioned it in response to a PV or something, but the horns and the doo-wop backup vocals just make my day when I hear them. It's very fun and breezy.

As for the show itself, I didn't like this episode as much as Love Lab's pilot, it still has shots of Dogakobo's trademark energy. I really like how Sakura moved as she agonized in her head, or how she dashed up the stairs to confirm Nozaki-kun's identity. And watching the two of them try to iterate on shoujo manga ideas reminded me of the love research in Love Lab.

Unfortunately, I felt like a few jokes kind of dragged. In particular, the setup for her final failed confession felt like it went on forever. I like how grounded most of the humor is (that first bike ride is kind of delightful), so we'll see how it evolves as the show progresses.

It's good all in all, and I can stick with it for now.

I feel the same. Such a fun show to watch already! Sakura is super adorable and the chemistry is spot on. I will highly enjoy watching this through the season.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V Episode 13
tumblr_n8gxcbtZEE1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_n8gxcbtZEE1qbxqfpo2_500.png

This duel against Reiji makes me want an Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon even more. The Spatial Strike Blast along with Reaction force and ability to keep attacking in one turn make it one of the best Pendulum summons in the series. The battle system expanding in terms of Pendulum cards adding and increasing the complexity as well makes this feel like the most refined Yu-Gi-Oh! series thus far, and certainly much earlier than others.
specifically the Reiji Pendulum summon aspect and how the Hell Armageddon ending up destabilizing from that 1 - 10 stars to 2 and 7 or so. Still a bit baffled at how that happened. It seemed Yuuya would really lose.

Syrinx

Ranma 1/2 13

Kinda wish martial arts gymnastics was a real thing now. Fight with Kodachi was entertaining. Best part was when she had her crew underneath the ring ready to move it at a moment's notice. Also Ranma's dad just walking in not giving two fucks that he's a panda.

Course Kodachi breaking her promise to abandon her love for Ranma was inevitable.

You'd think Ranma would have learned by now not to just go barging into Akane's room while chasing P-chan, but nope. That gag is getting pretty played out now. How much longer is Ryoga even going to be able to masquerade as P-chan, anyway?

Is Barakamon crunchy in the US? I don't get it from AU... :T

FUNimation has the US streaming and home video rights, but has not said when they will starting streaming the episodes.

Crunchyroll has Europe (excluding UK and Ireland), the Middle East, and North Africa.

Holy fucking shit looking at what came out today, I'm interested in jack shit. 3 days in a row I can't give a fuck about a show to put the effort to watch it. Is this season only going to be a weekend thing for me? We'll find out tomorrow.

Majimoji Rurumo - 01

Pervert with a heart of gold. I love these kinds of MCs. I think I can see whay direction the story is gonna take but I still thinking I'm gonna enjoy this one.

cajunator

Banned
Holy fucking shit looking at what came out today, I'm interested in jack shit. 3 days in a row I can't give a fuck about a show to put the effort to watch it. Is this season only going to be a weekend thing for me? We'll find out tomorrow.

I wish I could set aside a specific day to watch things but it hardly ever works that way.

Taruranto

Free!! #2

Kyoani confirmed for pandering the incest!?

Definitely one of the stronger episode. I was afraid Sosuke was going to introduce some dumb

e1gTzXD.gif

but instead he seems pretty fun character. Super fun. Really, really fun... yeah, anyway, his backstory and motives are pretty gud. Nitori is probably the weakest link in the cast so far, Makishiba little brother seems another fun addition.

Next episode seems to have something in store for Rei, I was afraid he was going to take a backseat this season since he's one of the "less" popular character, but I'm glad I'm mistaken.

Jintor

FUNimation has the US streaming and home video rights, but has not said when they will starting streaming the episodes.

Crunchyroll has Europe (excluding UK and Ireland), the Middle East, and North Africa.

Damnit. Gonna have to tunnel to the UK or something with my meagre VPN allowance I guess

Jintor

I blew through the entire Nozaki-kun manga yesterday in like half an hour, so it's gonna be pretty fun to see how they remix them into the show

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Sailor moon, Aldnoah.Zero, Akame ga Kill, Psycho Pass, and Fate/Kaleid in the same season.. am I in anime heaven?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom