• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. There's a decent amount of good shows, they just all seem to be packed to the weekend. Maybe 4 days in a row (assuming terror in tokyo is thursdays), then 3 of nothing.

Free! Eternal Summer Episode 2
tumblr_n8ggc3GLbZ1qjci0fo2_500.jpg
tumblr_n8ggc3GLbZ1qjci0fo3_500.jpg

Momotarou Mikoshiba is a great addition. Perfect comedy moments all around with Rin and Nitori
and then that senpai scene, perfect
This seasons focus on Samezuka and at least offering a chance to see Rin develop the team into its own thing is a good chance of pace to the freestyle nature of Iwatobi Swim Club. I think theyre probably done adding new names and faces to the Samezuka side as the four should be good characters to focus on.
Sousuke embodying the dark forces of sorts to challenge Haru should gt Haru to realize things and maybe display emotions we havent seen from him before. Since he truly cares for Rin then I expect tons of friction on the Haru Sosuke front more than the vending machine scene this time. Though I wonder how far it goes, RinHaru already had a serious race, so maybe Haru Sousuke will conclude with their own thing.

Sousuke water scene was great.
BsIye0KCMAAUr-_.png

Lurky

Yeah. There's a decent amount of good shows, they just all seem to be packed to the weekend. Maybe 4 days in a row (assuming terror in tokyo is thursdays), then 3 of nothing.

I'm actually only watching one thing this season. I might pick up more shows later on based on gaf reviews.

Blusby

Illya 2wei! ep. 1: The first half of this episode was gross, pure pedo-fuel.

Yeah man, the fight scenes and animation were so great on the first episode.

If it looks this great already, I can't wait to see it later on!!

How are the first two seasons? I'm not really interested in the franchise but I am interested in a IG action series that both have a Sawano ost.

Quasar

Goddamnit Madman

Well I assume thats the reason. They seem to by default get all the Funimation shows. I'm not sure what the relationship is. And I assume reselling to madman is the reason for funimation to get Australian rights given they don't allow Australian access to Funimation streams.

Contest:
d23uMIZ.jpg

The image above is part of the master background for an anime. If one of you can tell me where it's from, I'll get you tagged in a good way.

To be clear, I don't know where it's from. A friend who works for Heritage found it listed as "anime background." He's trying to mail it down to make it available for auction.

I figured if anyone could come up with an answer, it would be you guys. If you already have a tag, I'll owe you one.
Finding this will likely be a needle in a haystack situation without more to go on. The most striking thing about it is the style of shading.

Mecha

Illya 2wei! ep. 1: The first half of this episode was gross, pure pedo-fuel.

How are the first two seasons? I'm not really interested in the franchise but I am interested in a IG action series that both have a Sawano ost.

They were pretty good, but the games are way better.

Jintor

Well I assume thats the reason. They seem to by default get all the Funimation shows. I'm not sure what the relationship is. And I assume reselling to madman is the reason for funimation to get Australian rights given they don't allow Australian access to Funimation streams.

i've already forgotten the name of their new streaming service

Midonin

Gundam Build Fighters 05-08

Mao was a nice kind of rivalry. Different from Tatsuya's. More friendly. And it led to a beach/hot springs episode, or at least as much as one of those could be considering the time slot and nature of the show. Rinko did look pretty amazing, though. It was an enjoyable mini-arc. The China subplot is also pretty good. Rinko's encouraging the shipping in a way about as wink-wink-nudge-nudge as she can get with these kids, but that whole "She's not a Gunpla" scene shows there's some more work to be done.

Episode 8 was an unexpected change of pace. Sei and Reiji only had one or two scenes at best, the rest of the time being spent around the world. It's hard to avoid knowing at least some of what happens with Aila, given that I have episode titles for the entire series laid out at this point. It's a very Saori Hayami-ish role, good casting on that part. The American color commentators and the Astray were also pretty neat. The only Gundam I remotely recognized that doesn't bear the title of a series was the Devil Gundam, which makes me thankful this is still a world where the pilots are as important as the machines... even if pilots can't get merchandise. At least, not the kind of merchandise this show is trying to sell.

She's not a Gunpla.

And one thing I forgot from the first batch of episodes. Reiji stomping everybody with Ball was hilarious because I only know of Ball from the Game Grumps Gundam video. Which gives me certain expectations going ahead.

Quasar

i've already forgotten the name of their new streaming service

animelab.com

I like what they've done so far. Its a nice interface and chromecast support is nice. I'm just not clear what the goal is. Just a modern screening room, or to move forward with essentially their version of the funimation sub service?

Hopefully the latter imo.

I'm also not clear on what the hanabee service goals are.

Jintor

animelab.com

I like what they've done so far. Its a nice interface and chromecast support is nice. I'm just not clear what the goal is. Just a modern screening room, or to move forward with essentially their version of the funimation sub service?

Hopefully the latter imo.

I'm also not clear on what the hanabee service goals are.

had a peek. interface is great. goal is probably just they're australia/nz's biggest anime distributor and want to stay that way so need to grab back the streaming mindshare asap before crunchy devours the lot (to say nothing of piracy)

Quasar

had a peek. interface is great. goal is probably just they're australia/nz's biggest anime distributor and want to stay that way so need to grab back the streaming mindshare asap before crunchy devours the lot (to say nothing of piracy)

The thing is essentially sitting on shows that they could be simulcasting just encourages fansub use. Its not like Australians are averse to downloading unofficial versions of shows.

honestly this whole "I want to keep streaming in my site because crunchyroll scares me" shit pisses me off as a consumer. It just fucks over people having to get multiple services to watch shows.

Why can't we have an anime streaming monopoly? Nothing bad will happen I swear.

Jintor

The thing is essentially sitting on shows that they could be simulcasting just encourages fansub use. Its not like Australians are averse to downloading unofficial versions of shows.

i'm sure they don't want to be sitting on shows, probably some T&C crap or something

fertygo

Sengoku Basara - Judge's end

WTF with these chara design..... dream is dead

3rd season, this is not. T________T

I'm too sad to even taking screenshot.

Syrinx

Ranma 1/2 14

Girl Ranma in the new OP reminded me a lot of Kurama in Yu Yu Hakusho with that pink outfit on.

This is probably the closest thing to a hockey anime I'm going to see. It is kinda fun to watch the two of them if you pretend that all of the 100 guys who's asses they beat are Matt Cooke. Anyhoo, ice-skating martial arts battle. Everything is martial arts. These two seriously need a fucking knock in the head though. Guy's a total tool and creeper and of course Azusa is...yeah. I did laugh when she was trying to get those rice balls from Ranma's dad though.

wonzo

Banned
Contest:
d23uMIZ.jpg

The image above is part of the master background for an anime. If one of you can tell me where it's from, I'll get you tagged in a good way.

To be clear, I don't know where it's from. A friend who works for Heritage found it listed as "anime background." He's trying to mail it down to make it available for auction.

I figured if anyone could come up with an answer, it would be you guys. If you already have a tag, I'll owe you one.
Maybe it was from some Masterpiece Theater show?
Yeah, if it's from an anime production it'll probably be from one of these. Perhaps it's time to start a good old fashioned anime threadwatch?!

i always knew re4 was missing something…

Samurai Jam-Bakumatsu Rock Episode 2
BsJLtE2CcAIM2A4.png

Soji too good. Plot stuff was a bit forgettable but the music was pretty good. We need more of both on stage. Though it did make me realize why I prefer UtaPri, it just sometimes feels lifeless when theyre on stage as they just stand there essentially stationary, no dance moves or anything, so its hard to get into it.

cajunator

Banned
honestly this whole "I want to keep streaming in my site because crunchyroll scares me" shit pisses me off as a consumer. It just fucks over people having to get multiple services to watch shows.

Why can't we have an anime streaming monopoly? Nothing bad will happen I swear.

All of streaming is annoying and problematic. I suppose it beats having to wait longer for bluray releases but it still sucks that its so confusing and unreliable.

Furyous

Hamatora Season 2

How did Nice survive a point blank gunshot to the back of the head after complete exhaustion? I loved this episode as Hajime spoke. We need more cat girl. What happened to eye patch dude's eye? I could sworn it wasn't covered last season.

Is love stage contain yaoi? I need to know before I watch because I'm noisy.

Quasar

Its not that. Its purely the allure of service getting exclusive content as a competitive advantage. Same reason it happens with mainstream video services and video games. And for content creators an exclusive comes with more money.

I wish it didn't happen. I wish all the services carried all the shows. Services can differentiate themselves in ways other than exclusive content, such as in Funimations case its dubs.

Quasar

i'm sure they don't want to be sitting on shows, probably some T&C crap or something

Maybe. Or maybe the reason is things still being negotiated with Funimation. Or they are purely hanging onto these things till they start charging for animelab. Certainly whilst its purely free it doesn't make much sense to give everything away. As it is, simulcasting Space Dandy 2 and Tokyo Ghoul 2 for free and ad free (along with all the older stuff on animelab) is costing them.

Makes me wonder how stream deals go. A set price per stream delivered? Or a fixed price like say $100k to stream it for a year?

All right, what's the general AnimeGAF opinion on the Magi series, both Labyrinth and Kingdom? I've heard duckroll post several quips about it sometime in the pas but haven't bothered to read those at the time.

Is it good? Is it great? Is it bad? Is it horrendous? Does it have decent production values? Is it a good show for those who are itching for another fantasy show with a gripping sense of adventure?

cajunator

Banned
All right, what's the general AnimeGAF opinion on the Magi series, both Labyrinth and Kingdom? I've heard duckroll post several quips about it sometime in the pas but haven't bothered to read those at the time.

Is it good? Is it great? Is it bad? Is it horrendous? Does it have decent production values? Is it a good show for those who are itching for another fantasy show with a gripping sense of adventure?

From what I have heard/seen its decent storywise but production wise its a trainwreck. In some cases REALLY bad.
It did bring us the wonderful Morgiana and because of that I have a lovely figurine on my computer tower.

DominoKid

I really enjoyed it but I watched it all at once and I'm not familiar w/ the manga.

I enjoyed Magi in the beginning, but as the series went on I became less and less interested as at certain points the story made absolutely no sense and the characters actions to situations didn't seem right and according to the manga readers the anime skipped or entirely changed a lot just in the first season alone. Not to mention it is full of just BAD production values. I finished the first season and entirely skipped the second.

Quasar

Tried to watch Momo Kyun Sword #1, despite warnings from others. I figured hey, I don't mind fan servicey shows. Almost stopped it during the opening credits. Did stop it around 10 minutes or so in. A combination of her costume and intelligence caused my brain to try to throttle itself.

From what I have heard/seen its decent storywise but production wise its a trainwreck. In some cases REALLY bad.
It did bring us the wonderful Morgiana and because of that I have a lovely figurine on my computer tower.

I've heard that it was very popular, which is mainly why I'm interested in it.

I enjoyed Magi in the beginning, but as the series went on I became less and less interested as at certain points the story made absolutely no sense and the characters actions to situations didn't seem right and according to the manga readers the anime skipped or entirely changed a lot just in the first season alone. Not to mention it is full of just BAD production values. I finished the first season and entirely skipped the second.

I see, well I'll give it a shot anyway. It's popular and both seasons are 25 episodes, which is just the right amount of episodes for me when it comes to anime.

A show being 12 or so episodes can keep its entire focus on it's story yes (for the most part, I'm looking at you Vividred >_<) but those typically leave a lot to be desired even though most of them are good.

A show being 50 episodes always strikes fear into me. I can't handle watching so many of those at once. Because I can just see the story being one giant long story arc and having sooooo many episodes where nothing happens. When I get through them I feel some sense of accomplishment yes, but the motivation to continue them is really difficult. I've put the Gundam shows I've been watching on hold and am currently just sticking with Eureka Seven right now.

When a show is 25 or so episodes, I feel that's the perfect length. Just enough to have cooldown episodes and just enough to have a good story with good pacing.

cajunator

Banned
I've heard that it was very popular, which is mainly why I'm interested in it.

I see, well I'll give it a shot anyway. It's popular and both seasons are 25 episodes, which is just the right amount of episodes for me when it comes to anime.

A show being 12 or so episodes can keep its entire focus on it's story yes (for the most part, I'm looking at you Vividred >_<) but those typically leave a lot to be desired even though most of them are good.

A show being 50 episodes always strikes fear into me. I can't handle watching so many of those at once. Because I can just see the story being one giant long story arc and having sooooo many episodes where nothing happens. When I get through them I feel some sense of accomplishment yes, but the motivation to continue them is really difficult. I've put the Gundam shows I've been watching on hold and am currently just sticking with Eureka Seven right now.

When a show is 25 or so episodes, I feel that's the perfect length. Just enough to have cooldown episodes and just enough to have a good story with good pacing.

Someone else can post gifs but there are some terrible animations in it. Theres also awesome scenes like morgiana kicking the tiger in the face. I shall not forget that one.

Fate/Kaleid 2wei 1
The return the loli yuri magical girls. The transformation scene was hilarious with Rin and Luvia drowning. The backgrounds and scenery look pretty nice and have some CG in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom