• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

ikRPk6GIqo6LC.gif
ikRPk6GIqo6LC.gif
ikRPk6GIqo6LC.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
TUSR plz read Shokugeki no Soma before you say that.

Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizokin - 08

Lots of changes for this arc as we've lost some characters ad gained 1 that seems to be this season final boss.

I don't think i've ever seen someone be so unlikeable so fast.
Also this guy is wrong , an item that can make it rain whenever you want is actually a great item..weather control is actually very powerfull , no matter what one might say.
Sometimes it feels like the characters don't know how precious some things are because they are looking at only a limited set of the nanana collection.
what a waste.

On another note , this anime has some pretty good fights , they are short in lenght but well animated....and so far it doesn't seems out of place.

They should have gone "drunken master" route for the fight in this episode, another wasted opportunity !!!

Rail Wars 1

At least it has a bit of trains in this episode. And I guess the accidental boob grouping was inevitable but oh well I'm immune to it at this point. I'm watching this for the red head though and some train action. Hope there'll be some train action next episode.

Jintor

Cowboy the Bebop 14 - "Bohemian Rhapsody"

Not a lot to say on this episode, other than it's one of Bebop's better filler (for lack of a better term) episodes. Pacing is good, the type of story it's trying to tell doesn't require too much exposition, only downside might be its noticably saccharine ending and lack of real conflict - more of a police procedural than anything.

Only really larger connected thing I can think of is Spike saying "Whatever happens, happens" which really sums up Spike in a sentence, really.

Midonin

Yuri Seijin Naoko-san

There's a lot I like about this one. Naoko's "yuri" is closer to Haruka's in Kanamemo if anything, crossed with Lala's love of inventions and Nyarko's love of self-indulgent chaos. Unlike any of those characters, she also initiated a musical number. Mosaic.WAV's OP was weirdly enjoyable, and the lowbrow humor was about on par with most of the stuff I watch anyway. The ambiguity surrounding Naoko being Misuzu's true sister or just a weird alien with the same name added an unexpected mystery element to the whole thing. Since all three of these are from ufotable, they do look really good.

Minori Scramble

So this one has its origins in Kirara. Maybe it's a bit more toned down in the manga, but the anime certainly took advantage of its medium. It was a highly kinetic, 40-minute long chase scene. Some Potemayo vibes coming through this one. Minori's design and mannerisms are a wee bit on the freaky side, but as soon as she gains the ability to speak at the end, the cuteness reaches a point where that doesn't matter.

Unofficial Anime Penguin Ranking

1. Chiyo Penguiin from Azumanga
2. Penguin Empire from Daimidaler
3. Minori
4. Penguindrum Penguins
5. Pair Friends from Rainbow Live

Mature

Cowboy the Bebop 14 - "Bohemian Rhapsody"

Not a lot to say on this episode, other than it's one of Bebop's better filler (for lack of a better term) episodes. Pacing is good, the type of story it's trying to tell doesn't require too much exposition, only downside might be its noticably saccharine ending and lack of real conflict - more of a police procedural than anything.

Only really larger connected thing I can think of is Spike saying "Whatever happens, happens" which really sums up Spike in a sentence, really.
The better term is no term at all since there's no reason for it.

Majimoji Rurumo 1
I like the witch. She is pretty cute especially in the ED. The perverted protagonist is okay but it isn't a very original anymore. This first episode reminds me of how Sora no Otoshimono started.

Jintor

Cowboy the Bebop 15 - "My Funny Valentine"

Faye development episode. Flows well, and Spike and Faye bickering is amusing. I think they do a really good job of showing proto-Faye before she became the femme fatale bounty hunter, but you can still see the seeds of that personality below the delicate surface. All that said though, this has never really been one of my fave episodes apart from the Faye/Spike dogfight and little conversation at the end.

3. Minori
4. Penguindrum Penguins

No penguin from Shirokuma Cafe, this is bullshit

Glasslip 1

tumblr_n8gy8gqRLK1qbvovho1_500.gif

Well, I have no idea WTF is going on. But apparently everyone wants to bang everyone, except David who everyone hates.

Really gorgeous art as expected of PA Works and nice character designs but I guess I'll watch another episode or two before I decide to stick with this or not. Honestly, found it kinda boring.

But Touko is super cute so thats something.

Mahouka 11

HIGrKJXl.jpg

/dead

Well at least as I expected the school competition looks better animated somewhat than just words on a paper.

Bakumatsu Rock 02

Still teetering on the level of boring yet surprising still not the most boring male idol show of the season.

Yokai Watch 16-17

mFzRwf8l.jpg

I didn't expect this.

Lurky

Glasslip 1

Well, I have no idea WTF is going on. But apparently everyone wants to bang everyone, except David who everyone hates.

Really gorgeous art as expected of PA Works and nice character designs but I guess I'll watch another episode or two before I decide to stick with this or not. Honestly, found it kinda boring.

So are you saying I should watch this?

cajunator

Banned
Yuri Seijin Naoko-san

There's a lot I like about this one. Naoko's "yuri" is closer to Haruka's in Kanamemo if anything, crossed with Lala's love of inventions and Nyarko's love of self-indulgent chaos. Unlike any of those characters, she also initiated a musical number. Mosaic.WAV's OP was weirdly enjoyable, and the lowbrow humor was about on par with most of the stuff I watch anyway. The ambiguity surrounding Naoko being Misuzu's true sister or just a weird alien with the same name added an unexpected mystery element to the whole thing. Since all three of these are from ufotable, they do look really good.

Minori Scramble

So this one has its origins in Kirara. Maybe it's a bit more toned down in the manga, but the anime certainly took advantage of its medium. It was a highly kinetic, 40-minute long chase scene. Some Potemayo vibes coming through this one. Minori's design and mannerisms are a wee bit on the freaky side, but as soon as she gains the ability to speak at the end, the cuteness reaches a point where that doesn't matter.

3. Minori
4. Penguindrum Penguins

Hmm a penguin ranking. This is wonderful!

Glasslip 1

Jesus Christ my heart!

Jintor

Cowboy the Bebop 16 - "Black Dog Seranade"

A Jet focused episode to the extent that the rest of the Bebop crew play no appreciable roles whatsoever. There's some really great little moments in this episode like the way Jet's meeting transitions into flashback, the scene where the prisoners destroy the Police Squadron and pretty much entire final third of the episode. Specifically one scene where Jet's partner turns off the BGM and walks away slowly from the reflection, reloading his pistol (foreshadowing the result of the showdown, which I missed the first few times I watched this).

The confrontation and subsequent suicide-by-cop by his partner, the anger and pain in Jet's voice, is really quite something.

I don't really know why. Seemed a pretty simple coming of age slice of life story set in a country town. The curiousity I guess is so far the whole glassblowing thing is not a major thing.

Yeah, I thought there would be more on that front but I guess it will come up soon. There's also the possible
supernatural powers thing
with David. From the preview, it looks like the story will kick off quickly so I'm looking forward to that.

Is that from the show?

Yup

Vylash

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei! Episode 1

iEXMdRzMJqlce.gif

Oh god thank goodness this is back. Rin and Luvia's voices made the henshin even better, plus 2 Illyas and one of them is brown! Illya being the best looking magical girl show in a season where we have Sailor Moon again is just hilarious

TUSR

Banned
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei! Episode 1

Oh god thank goodness this is back. Rin and Luvia's voices made the henshin even better, plus 2 Illyas and one of them is brown! Illya being the best looking magical girl show in a season where we have Sailor Moon again is just hilarious

holy shit this looks awesome

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm a fan of a SAO art and stuff but something about this just doesn't seem right...
Kirito's eyes look odd until you realise he's actually admiring his own reflection in Asuna's eyes (have to make do with what you've got).

cuilan

Ok, so I watched the first episode of Himegoto. This might be the first anime I've watched in about 12 months. I think I might actually be able to will myself into watching the whole series thanks to the short length. It would be nice if more anime were 4 minutes long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom