• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Psycho-Pass 'New Edit Version' Episode 1:

Made it about half way through this piece of shit before stopping the video in utter contempt and disgust. I had heard this program was stupid and poorly written but I wasn't expecting utter contempt from my intelligence. No, this was downright offensive
in trying to get me to believe that any sort of competent society is that slavishly devoted to a computer program's simplistic views on judgement that they are going to label an obviously traumatized rape victim as a dangerous criminal.
Seriously, this one had my blood boiling and I wish this show had not gotten re-edited but cancelled after one episode and thrown into the deepest parts of the fucking ocean.

Chariot

Fine, I'll stop beating around the bush. Why are blonde rich girls in anime so often portrayed/teased as lesbians?

yuri means lily
I knew that thanks to Bakemonogatari, but I was confused by your first post containing nothing that would lead to this. Spontanous I would say because this charactertype appears more commonly in all-girls or at least girl dominated shows.

Syrinx

Ranma 1/2 19

Ranma's dad using charades to try and tell them what happened in Akane's and Shampoo's battle was the highlight here.

Amnesia, though? Eh, thought they could have gone more creative places than that with Shampoo.

Sell me on it. What's it about?

It's pretty much X-men. People with powers, discrimination against said power people, stuff like that. Despite the standard premise, it is very well-executed and has fun characters and fights. Main character is a girl that can phase through stuff.

Penguins are in it as is Yoda.

Fine, I'll stop beating around the bush. Why are blonde rich girls in anime so often portrayed/teased as lesbians?

yuri means lily
I guess since they're usually portrayed as protected, rarely get outside much and frequently go to all-girls schools at some point in their lives(this is huge) with very little interactions with males besides their butlers and fathers.

At least that is my stab in the dark.

It's pretty much X-men. People with powers, discrimination against said power people, stuff like that. Despite the standard premise, it is very well-executed and has fun characters and fights. Main character is a girl that can phase through stuff.

Penguins are in it as is Yoda.

But manga is still open. God I hate animes without an end. ¬¬.

Blusby

Just for a laugh, this is how terrible the censoring in episode 2 of Tokyo Ghoul got:

gkbU6T8.jpg

Terror in Resonance 1

Wow that was really impressive, absolutely blew me away pretty much nailed everything. Pacing, tension, characters, music, art, and animation Wantabe shows he truly is the master of his craft. In some ways the main characters remind me a bit of Johan from monster with there
tragic back story that twisted them into what they are now
though I think like with Johan
we're not meant to root for them, perhaps take pity on them but they are clearly the bad guys in the present day story even if they were victims in the past.

Summer of anime just got even better and Terror in Resonance is by far the best first episode this season.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Made it about half way through this piece of shit before stopping the video in utter contempt and disgust. I had heard this program was stupid and poorly written but I wasn't expecting utter contempt from my intelligence. No, this was downright offensive
in trying to get me to believe that any sort of competent society is that slavishly devoted to a computer program's simplistic views on judgement that they are going to label an obviously traumatized rape victim as a dangerous criminal.
Seriously, this one had my blood boiling and I wish this show had not gotten re-edited but cancelled after one episode and thrown into the deepest parts of the fucking ocean.
Syfy bullshit. Gotta love it. :)

OHHHHH I GET IT.
LESBIANS

Persona 4 Golden 1

oh man, I love this show already. But I've been a Persona fan forever, so it goes without saying that I'd like it. I did find it a bit odd how they rolled the credits way early, then had more show afterword. Also Marie <3 <3 <3

Does anyone know what that song is that's playing around 14:50? And would it be on the Persona 4, or Persona 4 Golden soundtracks? Or on an upcoming OST for the anime?

More entertaining than episode one, but it feels as if the ability feels tacked on to the concept not really adding anything.

I wasn't thrilled at all with episode 1 of GlassLip. It felt like a chore for me to watch it. Will episode 2 change my mind?

Just for a laugh, this is how terrible the censoring in episode 2 of Tokyo Ghoul got:

gkbU6T8.jpg
I remember sitting there watching this going "Really? You're really gonna go so far into censoring this that the entire screen is basically one giant black bar?"

So people who saw the new psycho pass how does it compare to the original version? Basically the same? Better? Worse?

I think unless someone told one the edits, theyd be unable to tell. It also feels visually more polished for an airing, but if someone watched the bd version, then perhaps there is no difference. Lastly it feels as if there is either new music or different music used in some scenes.

Its my fourth time watching psycho pass but some scenes are still as compelling as they were the first go around.

cajunator

Banned
I've always found the terms "bad writing" and "bad pacing" to be completely unquantifiable and therefore ridiculously subjective when it comes to discussing media of any form. Which is why I generally stay out of it. No one is convincing or enlightening anyone if every participant has their own esoteric rules for what's considered "bad" or "good".

While they can to a degree be discussed academically, theres always going to be some bias one way or the other. Even great works of classical literature in schools has some really stupid stories and plotlines in it to some people. Nothing is perfect and incapable of being criticized. A lot of times I will watch a show and enjoy it even if a lot of people hate something in it because it just clicked with me. It might even be terrible but if I like it, I like it. And its not just because of cuteness. I enjoyed Kaze no Yojimbo for example, and NOBODY talks about that show and probably few even know it exists.

anime's kinda shitty this season so far, what are the most hype ones again?

So far Ive only seen a few but I really loved Nozaki kun and Hanayamata so far.
Hanayamata is BEAUTIFUL.

Once a show becomes a chore to watch drop it. I did that with Majin bone. And one week friends. And white album 2. And many others. Brynhildr would've been a chore to watch but then glorious second op happened and saved anime. Also the awesome writing.

Agreed. The list is one thing, but even then thats for entertainment sake, even if its bad entertainment. Never force yourself to watch something you loathe completely. whats the point in that? Like right now Im slogging through Sailor Moon R agonizingly because I want to get to S. Ive only made it 4 episodes but its such a drag of a season.

Oh god please do this one. Especially if somebody can sneak in the gif of knk of the lead kicking the girl into the counter.

Fate Stay in the kitchen is kind of the defacto name animegaf has given it. I kinda like it.

Is there really no hope that ufotable's version of FS/N might be enjoyable to someone who liked FS/Z? I want to go into FS/N hype (since I know nothing about it but thought FS/Z was great) but its hard to have a hype boner when everybody says expect it to be super shit :(

I think theres hope, but the problem is Shirou and the other mages in this one are younger and angsty because of it. In FZ they were mostly full grown adults and out of the whiny insecure phase and they knew what they wanted and how to get it. In FSN, you have a bunch of basically teenagers doing the stupid things teenagers do.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Terror in Resonance 01
There's stuff going on here that seems cool but it's just not clicking with me. For as flashy as the introduction sequence is there's not a lot of tension or even relevance to it all, even by the end of the episode. There's no real understanding of how the heist was set up or why it'd be impressive or what meaning it even has.

A lot of the scenes just don't feel like they're able to draw to anything conclusive, so most of them kind of just feel lacking. What is the resolution to the scene with Lisa getting bullied by the pool? It's hard to feel like there's an emotion to draw from these kinds of scenes because every character is a flat surface and we don't get any insight into their emotions outside of some lame and jarring dream sequence.

Most of the supernatural elements are a complete turn off, and it's easy to see the show will continue to hide behind fuzzy abilities and powers to justify pushing the plot along. As it was most of this episode felt like pushed along plot points that serve only terroristic set pieces and some dumb mystery about fake high school kids.

Character art is beyond terrible too, which only becomes more noticeable against these really well lit backgrounds.
4PbzqHX.jpg

the true face of bullying

Sounds like Urobuchi all right.

Vylash

Persona 4 The Animation Episode 8

ivuMvavu6xps2.gif

Oh so I guess they actually get to eat in the anime,I'll never get tired of Aika somehow delivering food in the most ridiculous places, glad they decided to include her

StormKing

Why bother to air something like this on TV if you can't even show anything? If you know your series is going to get censored to hell at least have an uncut version online or pull a Sailor Moon Crystal and only air the series online uncut.

Maybe they thought the viewers wouldn't be able to handle the gore. They will probably remove the censoring from the BDs.

Terror in Resonance 01
There's stuff going on here that seems cool but it's just not clicking with me. For as flashy as the introduction sequence is there's not a lot of tension or even relevance to it all, even by the end of the episode. There's no real understanding of how the heist was set up or why it'd be impressive or what meaning it even has.

A lot of the scenes just don't feel like they're able to draw to anything conclusive, so most of them kind of just feel lacking. What is the resolution to the scene with Lisa getting bullied by the pool? It's hard to feel like there's an emotion to draw from these kinds of scenes because every character is a flat surface and we don't get any insight into their emotions outside of some lame and jarring dream sequence.

Most of the supernatural elements are a complete turn off, and it's easy to see the show will continue to hide behind fuzzy abilities and powers to justify pushing the plot along. As it was most of this episode felt like pushed along plot points that serve only terroristic set pieces and some dumb mystery about fake high school kids.

Character art is beyond terrible too, which only becomes more noticeable against these really well lit backgrounds.

What? What supernatural elements? What are you talking about? You mean the dream sequence? The only thing that you could even remotely consider super natural was the girls ability to jump from the 4th floor of a building into the arms of a guy and be perfectly okay.

Blusby

Yeah, I didn't notice anything that could even loosely be tied to the supernatural in this first episode either and I thought the character art was gorgeous, only thing that struck me as kinda off was Twelve's odd looking smile.

mankoto

Argevollen 2
Not as boring as episode 1 so it has slightly redeemed itself. Seeing Jamie having trouble saying "Argevollen" was kinda cute. It's kinda cool seeing the enemy's POV for a scene instead of our hero's the entire time. Congrats to Tokimune for
wasting an entire episode trying to figure how to pilot his giant robot

Yeah, I didn't notice anything that could even loosely be tied to the supernatural in this first episode either.

Probably the flashback thing.
Although you'd have to reach to call that supernatural, I have little doubts that something like that will probably be introduced.

Probably the flashback thing.
Although you'd have to reach to call that supernatural, I have little doubts that something like that will probably be introduced.

I mean it seems their going for
some kind of experiment to make super soldiers or super intelligence or something ala Monster and the two terrorist are escaped victims of these experiments.
I still don't know if I'd call that super natural though without a massive stretch.

Aldnoah Zero Episode 1

That was a pretty great episode, visuals were stunning and the OST wasn't bad. It may have had a lot of exposition and talking, but it did show potential. The MC seems bland as brick I hope we find out why. I hope we get Mech battles soon. Yeah there's definitely gonna be a lots of deaths coming from this anime. I also feel that the
Princesses death is a conspiracy, but that's just me though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Terror In Resonance spoilers:
When Lisa is holding the bomb the ability to lead her by the the number of neccesary steps is a sign of omnipotence, the most math wizard shit to ever exist, or our writer being a hack? Then we have to ask how things happened without our characters taking part in them. Is the power cut because there are other cohorts (this would be pretty shit writing), because the main characters can be in multiple places at once, because they can predict the future, or because l;kjasdfwhopwel;kjsldfkkkk who cares? There will be supernatural shit in this show or it would be even stupider.

jgminto

I think I'm just going to wait to watch Tokyo Ghoul if the censorship is that bad. Or just forget about it and never pick it back up.

Blusby

When Lisa is holding the bomb the ability to lead her by the the number of neccesary steps is a sign of omnipotence, the most math wizard shit to ever exist, or our writer being a hack.

It could be explained by the both of them having a photographic memory as hinted when Twelve was recalling the names of girls in other classes.
I see where you're coming from though, gotta chalk it all up to lolanime.

When Lisa is holding the bomb the ability to lead her by the the number of neccesary steps is a sign of omnipotence, the most math wizard shit to ever exist, or our writer being a hack? Then we have to ask how things happened without our characters taking part in them. Is the power cut because there are other cohorts (this would be pretty shit writing), because the main characters can be in multiple places at once, because they can predict the future, or because l;kjasdfwhopwel;kjsldfkkkk who cares? There will be supernatural shit in this show or it would be even stupider.

If there is a big group supporting them I would have much less problems with a good number of parts of the writing, but I don't know if they will follow that path.

Or
The main character clearly being incredibly intelligent and having the entire building lay out memorized planned for this attack. Again they're clearly going for a Monster vibe in how the two boys became different same a Johan from that series. If the main character really had the magic powers you claim he did he wouldn't need to ask her where in the building she was. You can call it hack writing all you want but if this goes down a similar path to Monster which a lot of signs point to it really can be explained as "the main character is a tortured/mad genius and knew the whole building lay out down to a t"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom