• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
seriously tho

1. Soredemo
2. HidaSketch
3. SZS
4. Bakemonogatari
5. i guess natsu no arashi from the few eps i watched ages ago while kinda drunk

Hell I'd even put Sasami-san over Madoka on any day of the week.

Clov

Soredemo seems to be really highly regarded around here. I don't remember thinking that much of it when I saw it a couple years ago. Maybe it's worth a rewatch to see what I missed the first time.

mankoto

Glasslip 2
I saw these pairings a mile away. I also figured it'd have some sort of sci-fi in it, but I didn't think it was that.
Having the ability to the future is almost never done well and is ultimately just too convenient.
I would've probably like this more if it wasn't for that. Oh well.

Persona 4 Golden: The Animation Episode 1

Pretty problematic due to the fact that little to no time is spent on introducing any characters or anything, though assuming its made in mind for people that watched the first season and played the game then that doesnt matter. But then the problem comes up that nothing is linked by any sort of storytelling just feeling like random scenes chosen to make the anime 23 minutes.

There were minor additions I liked that made it feel a bit better than the first anime, for example running through the town to reach the apartment complex in this area that made it briefly feel like a dungeon crawler (versus just randomly appearing at the room). Marie scenes are good too since well apart from Margaret and the seasoned citizen she was the only interesting female character on cast.

What I loved the most was, step on up to the plate, cause this aint no game, its time to make history yeah. Best battle theme. I watched the scene multiple times. Never gets old even after spending 120 hrs in the first playthrough.

cajunator

Banned
I don't think so. It would feel weird since one episode would essentially be a set up for the next.

But...

BW1gJwP.jpg

Im so excited for the second one. This was a completely pleasant surprise.

Hey, I did say more misses than hits!

Completely untrue.

Oh man Chihayafuru...
franco-so-good.gif

Where's my third season MADHOUSE!!!!!

I would loooooove more Chihayafuru. IT gives me such a wonderful feeling watching it.
Like few other shows.

Shaft isn't popular just because of their best show Madoka Magica.

They also did the popular Monogatari anime as well. I hear a lot of praise for that around here.

Not only that, they're also responsible for the widely acclaimed Hidamari Sketch. You won't watch it for obvious reasons though. That's just mainly where most of fan's love for this studio comes from.

Shaft has had quite a few hits and otherwise cult favorite shows. Itsp opular for a good reason.

It's more about the direction and content.

I eat up the shit Shinbo does.

Exactly. Shinbo directs with a wacky sense of style that few other studios could match or replicate. Its a studio that really stands out for its use of camera angles and totally random shots that other studios just do not try. Some people hate it but I feel it gives shaft shows a ton of character and keeps me entertained.
If you ask me though I think KyoAni's perfectionist style and straightforward telling of stories has actually gotten kind of stale. No matter how pretty it looks.

Whether you did this on purpose or not: well done.

Just caught that myself; gave me a laugh!

Hehe. Knew I'd get a reaction from that. And I didn't even watch Hidamari :p

(Okay, I took a look at one episode out of mere curiosity)

In all honesty though, the wide faces from that show aren't even the things that are the most striking about it to me. It's the barcodes I see them have for eyes in every other image or so.

Thoraxes

Art direction? Backgrounds usually consist of a bunch of patterns done in photoshop.
No. A lot of it is more on pacing and structure, as well as use and timing of cuts to emphasize dialog.

Basically I like their style.

You don't have to have eyes to know their bg art is not that hot lol

Syrinx

Sailor Moon Crystal 1

You can show me all the roses you want dude, I know you ain't Ikuhara.

That said, I liked it. *shrugs* Even the CG transformation really didn't look as bad as I was thinking it would be based on what others were saying. Still would have preferred a 2D one.

Firemind

No. A lot of it is more on paving and structure, as well as use and timing of cuts to emphasize dialog.

Basically I like their style.

I bet JC Staff could have done the exact same thing. It's not like it's particularly difficult to adapt a 4koma. Unless you work for KyoAni.

cajunator

Banned
Anyone want crunchy 48-hr guest passes? I have 4.

I still have four too because nobody claimed the one I posted here lol.

Hehe. Knew I'd get a reaction from that. And I didn't even watch Hidamari :p

(Okay, I took a look at one episode though out of mere curiosity)

In all honesty though, the wide faces from that show aren't even the things that are the most striking about it to me. It's the barcodes I see them have for eyes in every other image or so.

I actually scanned one of those eyes with my phone barcode scanner but it didnt register. It was funny trying though.

Art direction? Backgrounds usually consist of a bunch of patterns done in photoshop.

Yes but sometimes thats ok. It works with the way Shaft does things.

Sailor Moon Crystal 1

You can show me all the roses you want dude, I know you ain't Ikuhara.

That said, I liked it. *shrugs* Even the CG transformation really didn't look as bad as I was thinking it would be based on what others were saying. Still would have preferred a 2D one.

the transformation is the only thing that felt really off about it. Everything else was remarkably faithful to the original. Well there was the music.

seriously tho

1. Soredemo
2. HidaSketch
3. SZS
4. Bakemonogatari
5. i guess natsu no arashi from the few eps i watched ages ago while kinda drunk

Hell I'd even put Sasami-san over Madoka on any day of the week.
Huh, I don't remember seeing before that you didn't like Madoka that much.

Tokyo Ghoul Episode 2

Much better than episode one
though why Hide have to be kicked and out of commission for much of the show, it would be good if he can go ahead and learn about Kaneki ghoul nature since he is best friends, and seemingly his only friend

Post credit scene was funny
surely he isnt dead?

Jintor

Persona 4: The Golden Animation 1

lol. Glad I was on-point with the NG+ prediction back at reveal.

It's gonna be another fanservice anime with better animation with the first series and a ludicrously OP protag, and I'm okay with that.

*looks at list of shaft anime*

Other then Madoka Magica there isn't a single anime on this list I'd even want to watch, and even thats a stretch for Madoka Magica. If I hadn't heard both anime adaptations of Negi were shit I guess that would interest me. I guess I could stretch to Nisekoi for being a jump property

Blusby

I can't solidify my SHAFT list until I at least watch both The ef and Soredemo adaptions, I'm slippin'.

Anyways, just started Trust & Betrayal and damn, I can't believe this was from DEEN of all studios, this OST is hotter than the sun.

Clov

Anyways, just started Trust & Betrayal and damn, I can't believe this was from DEEN of all studios, this OST is hotter than the sun.

I remember loving that OVA when I first watched it. Found the import BD at a con for around $90, but I had already used up all my spending money by then. Maybe next time!

Summer Anime 2014 Part 1

Hanayamata 01
Wow, I wonder who that is supposed to be? It looks almost exactly like the Disney representation of Cinderella.
American transfer student speaks perfect Japanese with no accent. As pointed out before, her face is terrifying.

Jinsei 01
Well that got lewd fast. And here I was thinking I would get a nice, wholesome anime about newspaper columnist life advice. Damn you anime!

Love Stage! 01
Okay this show is great. Very DTL but the humour is top notch.

Majimoji Rurumo 01
We've reached very high levels of perverted stupidity. The only thing this has going for it is the cute witch and cat girl.

Momo Kyun Sword 01
The first 60 seconds...
I don't know if I'll be able to find any screengrabs that are appropriate for no-lewd GAF from this anime. There is breast jiggle in almost every shot. And there is a magical girl transformation sequence... into a fox girl!

Pri Para 01
A magical girl idol show aimed at kids. Not expecting much plot wise, the art is nice... At least it's a break from all the lewd.
Andddd there is 3D idol dancing. Love Live nightmares are returning.
Insert song isn't bad.

Rail Wars 01
I already saw the gif from the first few pages so I knew what to expect. The first inner monologue was actually interesting, this anime can't be that bad right? Then the first girl appeared...
Anime, is it too much to ask to stop focusing on girls' assets?
That ladder scene. She fell on him! WHY!?!

---

So much lewd in one sitting... I need a drink...

I can't solidify my SHAFT list until I at least watch both The ef and Soredemo adaptions, I'm slippin'.

I had a very hard time leaving ef off my list because it is easily my favorite romance anime.

Terror in Resonance - 1
The lighting in this show is gorgeous. I can see some similarities with that and the background art from Kids on the Slope, but it's way more striking to me here. The staging and editing of the second half was really well done too. Kanno's awesome "heist" music heightened those scenes even more for me.

Only thing that sort of put me off was the whole jump sequence. Its purpose is clearly understood, but the act of
actually jumping and being safely caught from that height off-screen
is a bit of a stretch in a seemingly grounded show at the moment. Nitpick aside, this was an excellent start. I'm very eager to see the police procedural side now.

Tokyo Ghoul - 2

This had pretty wonky animation in the first half, and loud and obnoxious MC (hell, the whole cast is pretty bad) in the second half. Hide might make this interesting though.

Syrinx

Haven't watched enough SHAFT for a list. I really digged Soredemo and very much liked Bakemonogatari (Nise, Neko, and what I did see of S2, not nearly as much) and Madoka. I should watch more of their stuff.

Clov

Haven't watched enough SHAFT for a list. I really digged Soredemo and very much liked Bakemonogatari (Nise, Neko, and what I did see of S2, not nearly as much) and Madoka. I should watch more of their stuff.

You should finish season 2 of Monogatari, just to get to the final (or penultimate, depending on how you look at it) arc, Koimonogatari. It's really great.

Thoraxes

I bet JC Staff could have done the exact same thing. It's not like it's particularly difficult to adapt a 4koma. Unless you work for KyoAni.
It's not limited just to 4koma adaptations.

And more to the point, nobody has really banked on that snappy style.

Superflat

Saw Yama no Susume/Encouragement of Climb season 2 on Crunchyroll and was curious so I checked out season 1. As a fan of the "cute and informative girls do niche things" genre, I had to check it out. How did I not notice this show before??

R0q9oph.jpg

It's pretty darn excellent for 3 minute episodes, accomplishes far more than any other micro-form anime I've seen. Good stuff so far.

Mature

Soredemo seems to be really highly regarded around here. I don't remember thinking that much of it when I saw it a couple years ago. Maybe it's worth a rewatch to see what I missed the first time.
I am really, really head over heels with Soredemo. I have no problem putting it in my top five.

For reasons such as:

Time + Media whoring = sadness
Hey, at least you admit it!

Defuser

Persona 4 Golden ep 1
The prince of Swag, the King of King's game is back. Yu motherfucking Narukami, the only thing good about this mediocre show.

Although his badass side is more apparently when he blew off Morokin and the monsters but still his awesome deadpan tendencies is back.

And........hnnnnnnnnnnnghzawa as Marie is hnnnnnngh.

Jintor

Saw Yama no Susume/Encouragement of Climb season 2 on Crunchyroll and was curious so I checked out season 1. As a fan of the "cute and informative girls do niche things" genre, I had to check it out. How did I not notice this show before??

R0q9oph.jpg

It's pretty darn excellent for 3 minute episodes, accomplishes far more than any other micro-form anime I've seen. Good stuff so far.

Encouragement of Climb is beautiful.

Also the thing that made me actually sign up to crunchy because they kept running 2 minute ads in front of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom