• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenumi

Banned
Majimoji Rurumo: 01

Cute witch, perverted protagonist, zero originality.

Yeah, this isn't very good. Dropped after first episode.

Chariot

Tokyo ESP 01

Ok, that was weird.
Is there a rule that disallows Segawa adaptions to begin at the beginning? Also why this epic hero music while
people got killed left and right.
. They spoiler indirectly a lot of stuff. Well, maybe the will break certain thinks short, but it just feels weird.

Also I currently feel like after the return of Berzerk from the break. I have no idea anymore who these characters on screen are.
Only remember villain at right hand, but the characters I actually cared for didn't really appear.
. I guess the connections to Ga-Rei are nice, but that actually makes it a prequel to Ga-Rei Zero. It's as if this story goes backwards with everything new.
Don't deny our love
live
;)
I would never.
Please don't kill me.

Lol probably not just making an aniplex price joke.

Ah. Aniplex is ridiculous with their prices but Hyouka also sells 2 episode volumes for 80 bucks on playasia so that's no good.

Would be great if NIS America can pick up the license and bring it over. I hear they did pretty good with the Toradora box set.

Clov

Most of KyoAni's stuff seems to be handled either by Kadokawa or TBS. Hyouka seems to be held by Kadokawa, but I'm not entirely sure.

Oddly enough Free seems to be held by Pony Canyon, judging from the Blu-Ray releases.

Midonin

I'm just waiting for someone, anyone to license it. And as long as it makes my Funimation subscription continue to feel like it's being used for something.

If the only non-simulcast things I'm left with are the merch-heavy kids' shows, I'm okay with that. No need to jump to other options when these are available.

CR still has a few more slots open, so maybe they're aiming for Rurumo. And maybe Francesca/Himegoto, if they can get those.

Narag

Girls und Panzer Special 2

AYeu9dQl.jpg

Thank God for the History Club.

First two of these are largely disposable outside of folk that wanted more cute girls doing cute things rather than tank antics.

Still, holy shit the loli team seem so impressionable when it comes to media. I did not expect that particular Monty Python gag. lolol

watch out! I might post some going home club stuff and make you sad again!

We call it KKK in here ;P

Most of KyoAni's stuff seems to be handled either by Kadokawa or TBS. Hyouka seems to be held by Kadokawa, but I'm not entirely sure.

Oddly enough Free seems to be held by Pony Canyon, judging from the Blu-Ray releases.

Hm... Both my K-On and Kanon sets are by Pony Canyon. Same with the Clannad and After Story releases in Japan.

Clov

Hm... Both my K-On and Kanon sets are by Pony Canyon. Same with the Clannad and After Story releases in Japan.

It could be that a different company owns the international rights, since all of K-ON was licensed from TBS. It seems to happen pretty often, actually. For example, in Japan, the Ping-Pong BDs are being released by Aniplex. However, the company that owns the international rights is Fuji TV. Same with the Hidamari Sketch BDs; Aniplex released them in Japan, but they were licensed from TBS.

It could be that a different company owns the international rights, since all of K-ON was licensed from TBS. It seems to happen pretty often, actually. For example, in Japan, the Ping-Pong BDs are being released by Aniplex. However, the company that owns the international rights is Fuji TV.

Right. I see Tamako Market and Chuunibyou were also released on BD in Japan by Pony Canyon, and those got licensed in the US, just for something more recent.

Blusby

Tokyo ESP 01: Really liked this first episode, cool music, nice designs, and nice soundin' OP at the end. Also those Ga-Rei: Zero cameos put a smile on my face.

Clov

This reminds me, I wonder how much money Funimation paid Aniplex to get the new Black Butler, since I'm almost certain that Aniplex was the main producer on it. It's good to know that Aniplex is still open to licensing titles to other companies, though.
Since that means I might get Wandering Son someday. Or (less likely) a re-release of Paradise Kiss, so I don't have to track down the Geneon DVDs.

Chariot

I skipped the GnP ovas. Sounds like I made the right decision.
No, you didn't. The GuP OVAs are hillarious. How many anime reference Monthy Phyton?
I don't get the hype around GuP. Teenage girls driving tanks.....like what. Is it just a moe girls show with a twist?
It's exactly that. It's cute girls and it has relative serious data on tanks. The battles are very funny and engaging, too. Its not like we see them eating cake most of the time, the focus of the show are actual tank battles.

Vylash

I don't get the hype around GuP. Teenage girls driving tanks.....like what. Is it just a moe girls show with a twist?

The hype revolves around the great direction and strategy of the tank battles, and the fact that they bothered to incorporate the actual strengths and weaknesses of the tanks into the battles, it's a very well written show that a lot of people sadly write off just because it has a cute girl cast

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

GuP delivers with ridiculous premise and world building, there's tanks battle, minimum Fanservice (except the tank, dem sexy tanks cannon!), and some cool battle scenes. It's fun to watch, that's for sure.

-=============================================================

Please watch Summer Wars.

TUSR

Banned
You'd be watching it for the wrong reasons. You watch it because it's a very well written show with great characters and somewhat believable school mysteries.

I am glad you want to watch it. It's a great show. But I will also defer to what Mr Woof says...

I've actually watched the first episode and thought it was interesting, but I had too many shows on the go to continue watching it. This summer season is catchup season.

Ok fuck this. I'm now officially cringing everytime an anime description has "X was a normal student until/but then"

You are the Rob Schneider of anime descriptions. I wonder what Adam Sandler would be.

Chariot

You know I've been wanting to watch Summer Wars. Is it worth watching or should I skip.
I wonder.

Summer wars!

Summer Wars

SUMMER WAAAAAAAAARS.

Summer Wars is way better. Garden of Words is pretty but that's about it.

-

*sees loli swimsuits*

Nope.
Please, they're just wearing them, in this clip are no explizit shots or anything weird. Just a few girls wearing swimsuits.

Midonin

All these reasons are why I had trouble getting into it. Having the hardware feel more important than the girls left me stranded, and the cast was so large that I don't feel any of them got enough personality for me to be interested in them. Especially with everyone who isn't the main characters. If I'm going to go for shows in this genre mix, I'd prefer something like Strike Witches or Stella C3 - characters first. It's also why I'm ambivalent towards Upotte.

Mokoi

Banned
I got other shows to catch up with first! Starting with Chihayafuru S2 and Monogatari S2 after the first arc

Pssh please, The ping pongs takes top priority.

Ok fuck this. I'm now officially cringing everytime an anime description has "X was a normal student until/but then"

You are the Rob Schneider of anime descriptions. I wonder what Adam Sandler would be.

Admiral Woofington was just a regular ol navy dog. That is until a mysterious loli landed her way into his heart. doki doki

Chariot

All these reasons are why I had trouble getting into it. Having the hardware feel more important than the girls left me stranded, and the cast was so large that I don't feel any of them got enough personality for me to be interested in them. Especially with everyone who isn't the main characters. If I'm going to go for shows in this genre mix, I'd prefer something like Strike Witches or Stella C3 - characters first. It's also why I'm ambivalent towards Upotte.
Don't worry, the characters are fairly simple and memorable. The OVA's actually develop some of the characters who had too few screentime.

"The story is set at <name> High/Academy/School"

Narag

Girls und Panzer Special 3

Not really any sort of necessary info in the grand scheme of things. More fitting for people that need every last detail explained as it was nothing but answers to questions I never knew I had.

However I am amused by the naval staff that's present in this and the tv eps. They're always just there, doing things, like the doozers in Fraggle Rock.

Midonin

Don't worry, the characters are fairly simple and memorable. The OVA's actually develop some of the characters who had too few screentime.
But they didn't have enough screentime outside the tanks. I don't care for all the specs and whatnot, because I thought that the tanks element would be use to enhance the characters, not the other way around. I'm aware that GuP has been compared to Saki, but I like Saki a little more because mahjong is a sport of individuals, so a little bit more insight is able to be given to the characters.

Rokujouma no Shinryakusha 1
Well this is certainly an array of characters. The show's premise sort of sounds like a bad joke, but the actual reminds a bit more of Is this a Zombie except less deadly.

Chitanda in a yukata = winning

Right? RIGHT?! Oreki and her relationship seems to bring out the really cute side of her.

Nomal Japanese prices :p

I know. But it's still killer. Basically $40 per episode. I love anime but it's not worth THAT much.

I've actually watched the first episode and thought it was interesting, but I had too many shows on the go to continue watching it. This summer season is catchup season.

I think it's a great show. Take that for what it's worth. Just don't go into it thinking Oreki is gonna solve some grand mystery. The show is all about character relationships and fun little mysteries.

Chariot

But they didn't have enough screentime outside the tanks. I don't care for all the specs and whatnot, because I thought that the tanks element would be use to enhance the characters, not the other way around. I'm aware that GuP has been compared to Saki, but I like Saki a little more because mahjong is a sport of individuals, so a little bit more insight is able to be given to the characters.
Oh, not everyone get that time in the show itself, that much is true. But the most characters, including the enemies and of course our main team get their time.

You see a lot of stuff that don't get extra commented on that defines the characters. Like how the different teams prepare for the finale or how they decorate their tanks and how they handle battles. It's really all there.
how come some of our avatars are merging, artemis is everywhere
I just enjoy letting nice people visit Eska.

Barakamon 1

Figured I'd give this a shot since it seems so well received in here. However the main character is apparently an adult and possibly not even in high school so I have some trepidation that this won't be very good.

Is this sarcasm or not, I just can't tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom