• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

You see a lot of stuff that don't get extra commented on that defines the characters. Like how the different teams prepare for the finale or how they decorate their tanks and how they handle battles. It's really all there.
I think it ultimately comes down to a matter of preference. I'm just not so hot on gun/military elements in my shows unless it's aided by something like magic (Strike Witches), personal introspection (Stella) or in the case of this season's Survival Game Club, fourth wall breaking comedy.

What I'm saying is, I found the girls/tanks ratio skewed in a way that wasn't what I was expecting, and ultimately ended up not being to my liking. I'll still watch the OVA and movie to see what character moments I can get from it, but it's not one of my favorite series.

Chariot

I think it ultimately comes down to a matter of preference. I'm just not so hot on gun/military elements in my shows unless it's aided by something like magic (Strike Witches), personal introspection (Stella) or in the case of this season's Survival Game Club, fourth wall breaking comedy.

What I'm saying is, I found the girls/tanks ratio skewed in a way that wasn't what I was expecting, and ultimately ended up not being to my liking. I'll still watch the OVA and movie to see what character moments I can get from it, but it's not one of my favorite series.
I see. I was under the impression you dropped the show at some point. Yeah, the OVAs will focus more on characters, especially ones that were a bit in the shadows during the show.

Narag

Girls und Panzer Special 5

sL0xCQ6l.jpg

Ok, this one was really good. Not just because it serves as an expansion of the episode against Pravda where they did recon in the snow but because of the additional spotlight placed squarely on Yukari/Erwin. It's a great bit of character interaction that frankly makes sense. Seemed inevitable that these the two would interact to some degree given their common interest of military fetishism rather than be restrained by the usual segregation by team as presented in the tv episodes.

I mean 5 of the 7 episodes the Mc would go to school/work then come back and tell people they are wrong on the Internet. Then 2 episodes of Mc getting together with friends and watching movies/eating food with friends making geeky jokes.

Clov

The other one being FMP. Better than Second Raid. Come at me, bro.

You know, I want to disagree with you, but FMP season 1 was a lot of fun. The battles were probably better than TSR, and Gauron was a much better main antagonist.
Fumoffu is better than both anyway

In terms of other Gonzo shows, I remember really liking Gankutsuou. Saki was a lot of fun too, got me interested in mahjong for a bit (which led to me watching Akagi). Can't think of much else by them that I really liked.

Narag

Girls und Panzer Special 6

Right kind of silliness for epilogue material, I suppose.

---

These are really hit or miss and I still think the first few are disposable. Fifth special is one of the best parts of this franchise though and should be watched even if the rest are skipped.

Chariot

Fargo won AOTY alongside True Detective in my head. Anything is possible.
Fair enough.

hey I liked that and I'm not too weird

safs the animation would be boring but I don't think there is an anime where the MC gets berated by old people at the library all day then goes home to play an iOS game
Did you just talk to yourself?

What anime series is closest to depicting your life then? :p
Aria in the internet. My live has not much action and floats around while I enjoy meeting nice people in the internet.
SNAFU baby.
I still read that as SNUFF.

The Tatami Galaxy
Which episode?

Rail Wars! - 02

Manhater being all non-manhatey this quickly? The fuck am I watching? But yeah, another episode of mindless fun. If only the ED didn't make me want to lay my head down on some train tracks and wait.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Welcome to NHK is awesome
I've read the manga, novel, and watch the anime. Anime is more closer to the novel. I'd say it's a great show that highlight what it feel to be hikikomori or to live without purpose.
What anime series is closest to depicting your life then? :p
Genshiken Nidaime

I can totally see myself as Madarame...minus the harem part

Hm... Both my K-On and Kanon sets are by Pony Canyon. Same with the Clannad and After Story releases in Japan.

It could be that a different company owns the international rights, since all of K-ON was licensed from TBS. It seems to happen pretty often, actually. For example, in Japan, the Ping-Pong BDs are being released by Aniplex. However, the company that owns the international rights is Fuji TV. Same with the Hidamari Sketch BDs; Aniplex released them in Japan, but they were licensed from TBS.

Most of KyoAni's stuff seems to be handled either by Kadokawa or TBS. Hyouka seems to be held by Kadokawa, but I'm not entirely sure.

Oddly enough Free seems to be held by Pony Canyon, judging from the Blu-Ray releases.

Right. I see Tamako Market and Chuunibyou were also released on BD in Japan by Pony Canyon, and those got licensed in the US, just for something more recent.
The company who holds international rights does not always equal the company who releases it on disc. Air, Kanon, Clannad, After Story, and the first season of K-On! were produced by TBS for their anime block (originally on BS-i, but later on TBS proper with later showings on other TBS stations including BS-i). Thus TBS holds the international rights because they were the chief funder in making the show. Similarly, other series hold true like Hidamari and Sasami-san. However, this is not always a firm rule for this situation; publishers of print material may hold rights instead like Media Factory (Infinite Stratos). The utterly weird case this season is Locodol, who has rights held by Fuji TV yet is airing in the TBS late night slot (don't ask how that happened).

Hyouka is published by Kadokawa Shoten. Due to past Kadokawa shows having rights held by Kadokawa, we have a good guess that they hold the rights to it as well. The key word here is "Kadokawa Shoten." Lots of people assume that since Kadokawa owns the publishing firm that publishes a light novel, they own the rights (LOL, NOPE). Only shows that have video published by Kadokawa Shoten (Video division) have rights held by Kadokawa Shoten.

With the move towards self-created/published works, KyoAni had to have someone to distribute their shows digitally and internationally, thus they worked with TBS to do so via past relationships. This meant that TBS actually never broadcast Chuunibyou, Tamako, or Kyoukai despite owning the digital and international rights to those shows. Free! is different. That show was developed with Asahi Broadcasting in Osaka on board in ABC's Waterday lineup (pun maybe intended). ABC holds the international rights to Free! (which is why it wasn't licensed immediately by Sentai Filmworks, who has a close relationship with TBS) and ABC airs it every Wednesday night (they also aired Kyoukai, but did not fund it).

With past relationships in mind, we can guess pretty easily who has international rights to a show (and Crunchyroll's "publisher" tells who has them). It's all a matter of doing research. Also, it's utterly rare for Pony to hold rights for a show.

Welcome to NHK is awesome
I've read the manga, novel, and watch the anime. Anime is more closer to the novel. I'd say it's a great show that highlight what it feel to be hikikomori or to live without purpose.

Genshiken Nidaime

I can totally see myself as Madarame...minus the harem part

Welcome to NHK is one of my top favorites. Its so good.

"safs the animation would be boring but I don't think there is an anime where the MC gets berated by old people at the library all day then goes home to play an iOS game"
Is safs an actual word?

He meant if there was a hypothetical anime such as "chariot the animation". That would probably be 90% hentai.

Mokoi

Banned
Tokyo ESP 1

Well that was interesting, Some of the outfits the espers were wearing are really funny. They could even be in Zoolander. This show seems like it's going to be alright. There were a lot of problems, but it's not worth going over. Also I just want to say how stupid the news reporters are.
Lets just broadcast live that the government is coming to drop troops off. Thanks for revealing the plan to the espers so they can die. I mean I know they had a lookout already, but still stupid reporters.
Also the regular government people really are incompetent like always.

Not surprised it's not been mentioned because none of the tabloid sites have picked it up to report on, but Tamako Love Story will be released on Blu-ray and DVD on October 10 in Japan. No Eng subs on release though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom