• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be picking up the Chuunibyou one, at least. Art looks pretty cute! I wonder what kind of extras they'll include? Hoping for soundtrack and artbook.

Soundtrack is unlikely. Music rights for these series belong to Lantis and they'd have to arrange another contract which is pointless if you're only selling it in a LE. Their prior soundtracks have come from Media Factory, who released the music themselves in Japan alongside the discs. That never happened in this case, so a CD is incredibly unlikely (not impossible, just unlikely).

Artbook is probable, but may only be illustrations and won't include any of the production information from the JP side.

On Chuunibyou, look for the inclusion of the "Black Raison d'être goes to KyoAni" extras alongside the Depth of Field shorts (which weren't included in the original solicitation). Kyoukai will just have additional drama shorts.

Chariot

Is she even really being bullied, or does she just have problems responding and expressing herself?
jLV581DK8J9IY.png

They wanted to her to jump full clothed in the pool while they were laughing, with no spare clothes or even a towel to be seen. I call that bullying.

mankoto

I've done that before. I can't even swim!
One of the girls almost pushed her in though. The only reason why she didn't fall was because she was able to maintain her balance.

It's hard to imagine they wouldn't make fun of her if she did fall in the pool.

Clov

Soundtrack is unlikely. Music rights for these series belong to Lantis and they'd have to arrange another contract which is pointless if you're only selling it in a LE. Their prior soundtracks have come from Media Factory, who released the music themselves in Japan alongside the discs. That never happened in this case, so a CD is incredibly unlikely (not impossible, just unlikely).

Artbook is probable, but may only be illustrations and won't include any of the production information from the JP side.

On Chuunibyou, look for the inclusion of the "Black Raison d'être goes to KyoAni" extras alongside the Depth of Field shorts (which weren't included in the original solicitation). Kyoukai will just have additional drama shorts.

It'll definitely be interesting to see if there's any on-disc extras made for the LE. I guess they're still working out the details even now. Hopefully they'll be an announcement soon about what sort of on-disc and off-disc goodies get included.

Fate/Zero Season 2 Episode 3

REALLLY!? Lancer is already dead and the forced Archibald into using the command seal to make Lancer commit Suicide!?! NOOOOOOOOOOO :(((

I hated Kayneth especially with how dirty he was getting in the end, but to be given an Ultimatum in which he either watched his finance die or killed off his own servent. And even after using the command seal to kill Lancer, he and Sola-ui are both betrayed anyway and sniped right now sight. This anime got dark realllly damn fast.

Also Sola-ui looked like a combination of Persona 3 characters lol. It was Yukari's hairstyle with Mitsuru hair color lol -____-

That's not even the darkest part. Keep going. >:D

Someone mentioned earlier that Lisa(TiR) had an eating disorder. I viewed it as panic attacks. What do you guys think of that?

It looked like a mixture of anxiety and depression. Panic attacks would be a good way to put it.

Ah yes, those happy days of youth. Sure it don't have to be bullying, but as of yet, it looks like that to me.
It looks like bullying to me.

Narag

Sword Art Online II 2

What an awesome fucking episode, easily the best out of the 27 total in the series so far. It's probably no coincidence Kirito is nowhere to be seen iin this one aside from about 30 seconds.
I'd play the shit out of GGO.

Only downside was Silica getting tentacled again.

Chariot

And who was she hiding from in the building?
Possiblity 1) she was still fleeing from her classmates. Bullying in anime can get very far (probably in RL, too, but I don't know much about that)
Possiblity 2) she was wasting time in the building to not go home and was wandering aimlessly around (I may or may not know something about that)

If you have social anxiety a mall isn't your favorite place, is what I am thinking.

Midonin

SAO II 02

Sinon's one-legged stunt was kinda neat, and I'm sure it helps to establish some things for the story to come, but the start of this episode kinda dragged for me a bit. So much gray and brown and black and more shades of gray. The return to ALO added a splash of color to the episode, at least. Still love that opening song, too. Otherwise, not a whole lot to say this week.

Sword Art Online II 2: 2 fast 2 kirito-kun

A solid episode largely based on minimal plot to introduce us to the girl who will be kirito's waifu this season and how she is in the game. Of course the show had yet again to give us an ass shot to remind us that she wears shorts shorts and lays down in prone position, which is best time to give us ass shot. I suspect this won't happen every episode she does this.

My biggest complaints in logic this episode, which aren't overly large complaints, are:

1. "He smiles when he's in a fight, it must mean he's dangerous!". OR! OOOOOR! And this might sound crazy, but he could be a guy having a good time in a video game. I mean I know that sounds crazy but you know 1 +2 does not equal potato.

2. When she flipped out at the guy turning into a pansy. In this case both of you are taking this game way too seriously. Is there something I'm not hearing here? If one dies in the game does their character die forever? Because if not there was no reason to take any of this seriously. It's a game

Also we almost had tentacle grape again. That soda wasn't ever that refreshing, plz no moar.

Chariot

You do realize he's joking with you right?
I do not.

I mean, there is the possiblity that she is really bad with social interaction as duckroll said and the girls tried to befriend her and just didn't know how to handle someone with lack of response and tried to provoce some human reaction from her by escalating means.
I think I read a shoujo manga once where this was a topic.

But maybe I am wrong again with everything.

Narag

Sword Art Online II 2

I enjoyed this episode more than the last but I don't really like how they go about showing you shit and don't really explain the many intricacies of the game. The animation looked cool I guess. Judging by the pace I can see this taking roughly 14 episodes.

What intricacies are you after? Episode illustrates game principles such as the PvE element, the PvP element, loot drops, weapon types, movement penalty due to weight, visible cones of fire, player UI screen, etc.

I even saw temperature listed on Sinon's and was left wondering if she had to account for air temperature when using the sniper rifle!

duckroll

Possiblity 1) she was still fleeing from her classmates. Bullying in anime can get very far (probably in RL, too, but I don't know much about that)
Possiblity 2) she was wasting time in the building to not go home and was wandering aimlessly around (I may or may not know something about that)

If you have social anxiety a mall isn't your favorite place, is what I am thinking.

What about possibility #3 - She has social anxiety problems in general and that's why she shuts herself away, hates the concern her mother gives her, and gets made fun of by classmates because she's passive and awkward?

The bullying seems to be less of a factor to me than how she deals with it internally. As the series moves forward, it's also very unlikely that she'll continue to be in a position to be bullied, but yet I think she will continue to find that there's a barrier between her and everyone else. There's some sort of trauma there which seems deeper than just dealing with normal everyday shit.

If you have social anxiety you can't just disappear into the dark corners of the world just because going outside scares you. You may not like going into public places but you have to put it up with it. Once it gets to be too much and the fear and anxiety starts to overwhelm, you have to retreat to a place of solitude. That's what it looked like she was doing both times when she fled to the bathroom.

Chariot

What about possibility #3 - She has social anxiety problems in general and that's why she shuts herself away, hates the concern her mother gives her, and gets made fun of by classmates because she's passive and awkward?

The bullying seems to be less of a factor to me than how she deals with it internally. As the series moves forward, it's also very unlikely that she'll continue to be in a position to be bullied, but yet I think she will continue to find that there's a barrier between her and everyone else. There's some sort of trauma there which seems deeper than just dealing with normal everyday shit.
That could very well be.

My response was to
Is she even really being bullied, or does she just have problems responding and expressing herself?
And I wanted to point out that she is. Even if you're on spot, it's still bullying. Her being socially impaired doesen't change that the girls probably bully her.
If you have social anxiety you can't just disappear into the dark corners of the world just because going outside scares you. You may not like going into public places but you have to put it up with it. Once it gets to be too much and the fear and anxiety starts to overwhelm you have to retreat to a place of solitude. That's what it looked like she was doing both times when she fled to the bathroom.
Yes, could very well be. I think it's important to know what she was doing in the mall in the first place.

Dynedom

Revolutionary Girl Utena - 07

Anthy + Slap = normal day in the office

So a Juri focused episode. I think one of the first things I noticed is, rather ironically, that she is more masculine or prince-like than Utena seems to be. Guess that helps with the
eventual swerve at the end that Juri was after that girl and not the guy
. It was a little more obvious than previous twists but still one well done.

I do like how motives are being made clear for each of the Student Council members. I do feel a bit more sympathy for Juri than most.

The shaddow puppet scene:
lashing out that the zoo is dumb when you can't go due to illness = lashing out at the idea of miracles because your own miracle never happened?

Miki
sure knows how to dodge knives

Juri in
dat dress
= HNGGGH

edit: Also lame joke time: Unfulfilled Juri =
Unfulfilled Yuri?
GET IT? Cuz you know like......I'll stop now

Hmm...

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Steins;Gate
Gintama: Kanketsu-hen - Yorozuya yo Eien Nare
Clannad: After Story
Gintama'
Gintama': Enchousen
Gintama

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch R2
Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki
Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu
Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi
Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan - Tsuiokuhen
Code Geass: Hangyaku no
Hajime no Ippo
Mushishi Zoku Shou
Monogatari Series: Second Season
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
No Game No Life

It's kind of bad.

No list with 4 Gintama should ever be considered bad.

duckroll

My response was to
And I wanted to point out that she is. Even if you're on spot, it's still bullying. Her being socially impaired doesen't change that the girls probably bully her.

Well I was actually questioning the rationale behind her hiding in the toilet in particular. Like I said, that seemed like an instinctive thing, rather than a reactive thing. Like how Kaoru finds himself needing to go to the roof in Kids on the Slope. It's not because the roof is a good hiding spot, it's because there's a psychological connection he has with needing to get out into clear air. Here it seems like the reverse, where she is hiding in closed spaces.

Her natural reaction to being bullied at the pool was to do nothing and say nothing. She doesn't want to engage or interact. She did not run away then and hide in the toilet. So I think her specific action of hiding in the toilet, which we see twice in the episode in totally different locations, is a character trait rather than a rational reaction to something that is happening to her directly.

Jarmel

Banned
Social anxiety and bullying are one of those 'chicken or egg' scenarios in that the development of one can easily cause the other and most of the time, there isn't a clear reason. My sister has a more drastic case of this in that she has extreme, and I mean extreme, anxiety issues and while she wants to have friends, her anxiety stuff prevents that. She's then bullied, or so she claims, because of her anxiety stuff and that subsequently makes her anxiety flare up. Lisa has a shitload of problems from multiple angles and she isn't mentally equipped to handle them, thus making those issues worse.

Lisa's stuff actually reminds me of Flowers of Evil.

Chariot

Well I was actually questioning the rationale behind her hiding in the toilet in particular. Like I said, that seemed like an instinctive thing, rather than a reactive thing. Like how Kaoru finds himself needing to go to the roof in Kids on the Slope. It's not because the roof is a good hiding spot, it's because there's a psychological connection he has with needing to get out into clear air. Here it seems like the reverse, where she is hiding in closed spaces.

Her natural reaction to being bullied at the pool was to do nothing and say nothing. She doesn't want to engage or interact. She did not run away then and hide in the toilet. So I think her specific action of hiding in the toilet, which we see twice in the episode in totally different locations, is a character trait rather than a rational reaction to something that is happening to her directly.
That's sounds reasonable.
As I said I was just reacting to the "Is she even really being bullied or".
Lisa wasn't in a mall. She was on a class trip to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building.
Ah, that makes more sense on so many levels. Thanks for clarifying, had the totally wrong impression here.

Aldnoah Zero 02

Good episode ,whole episode made me nervous about "will onee-chan die!?",also wonder will the spy girl tell them the assassinate plan,if she knows.

And maybe the princess is not the one gonna killed by someone,is she will need to kill someone,according this OP scene.

Jex

It was a class trip? I guess that explains why Nine and Twelve transferred in? I didn't think that was communicated very well.

It was communicated visually - you see all the kids inside the building. You have to watch the show man! It wasn't very subtle!

Narag

It was a class trip? I guess that explains why Nine and Twelve transferred in? I didn't think that was communicated very well.

Had no idea either and assumed it was a shopping center myself due to the what I'm guessing was a gift shop.

Might have helped if I'd recognized the building which I didn't.

Defuser

Sword Art Online II ep 2
A whole episode dedicated to the best action girl in series so far being badass gun shooter? Hell yes! Suck it other girls.

Did they just reused kirito's slashing animations from season 1 ep 2 into Sillica? lol lazy lol.

duckroll

I thought it might have been a class trip but I had no idea where they were supposed to be. Thanks.

I knew exactly where they were, I just didn't think it was specifically a class trip. It seemed a bit coincidental that they were all there at the same time after school. Lol.

We need to combine our perceptive abilities!

Narag

Chaika 9

Didn't realize how often the end of the war and the role of displaced soldiers would come up. I figured it was mostly a throwaway bit to establish Toru's motivation rather than being anything that gained some traction.

cereal_killerxx

I've decided that due to my lack of time from work and other things that I'll only be watching 3 anime this season. SAO II and Akame ga Kill occupy the first two spots. The last is between Aldnoah.Zero and Zankyou no Terror. Just curious to hear what you guys would pick. Or if not either of those, are there any other standout hits this season? (And yes, I realize that may be hard to judge on only 1 or 2 episodes)

duckroll

Chaika 9

Didn't realize how often the end of the war and the role of displaced soldiers would come up. I figured it was mostly a throwaway bit to establish Toru's motivation rather than being anything that gained some traction.

No it's definitely a running theme in the story. I mean, it's not particularly deep or meaningful, but it's definitely a story about how peace isn't kind to soldiers, especially in fantasy worlds which are usually designed to exist for the sake of having a conflict and an enemy to fight.

Narag

No it's definitely a running theme in the story. I mean, it's not particularly deep or meaningful, but it's definitely a story about how peace isn't kind to soldiers, especially in fantasy worlds which are usually designed to exist for the sake of having a conflict and an enemy to fight.

Yeah, it's nice it keeps coming up and it pulls me in far better than the Emperor Gaz quest stuff has to this point as its much more interesting.

Another 10

They all look so happy :p

As I thought then.
That dead one got killed 15 years ago.
Class trip to the resident evil mansion, weird dramatic music cue, lots of twins and more than meets the eye. And another episode where somebody is about to reveal something and then there's something that stops them.

I knew exactly where they were, I just didn't think it was specifically a class trip. It seemed a bit coincidental that they were all there at the same time after school. Lol.

Hehe.

Rewatching the scene it looks like Lisa sees Touji hanging around the gift shop and wants to approach him to say thank you for helping her back at school. But she chickens out and runs to the bathroom to get a breather. There is no doubt in my mind she has some form of social anxiety.

Aldnoah.Zero 2

Hm. Maybe it's because I've seen way too many anime with a "the enemy has such an overwhelming advantage it's ridiculous" premise where this episode didn't really hit me all that well. And
that's all this episode was. Showing how how much stronger the enemy is with their mechs.

We also saw
Slaine driving a plane, which probably means he won't get in a mech like the OP shows till much later. Chances are he'll be forced to participate in the enemy's side and he might reluctantly agree seeing how he thinks the princess is dead

And last but not least
we saw the other protag finding little girl and disguised princess, who like the OP showed is most definitely alive so it was no surprise whatsoever. And the ED showed us that yes, the random girl nobody has seen with the green eyes is the princess is disguise. Oh poor Slaine, the second your waifu met up with the dandere protagonist who doesn't even react to his friend dying you were screwed. You see he's so fucking cool all the ladies will fall for him because anime

I was impressed with the first episode, but this episode was pretty typical in anime. I hope it doesn't follow tired-old formulas the whole way through.

I've decided that due to my lack of time from work and other things that I'll only be watching 3 anime this season. SAO II and Akame ga Kill occupy the first two spots. The last is between Aldnoah.Zero and Zankyou no Terror. Just curious to hear what you guys would pick. Or if not either of those, are there any other standout hits this season? (And yes, I realize that may be hard to judge on only 1 or 2 episodes)

Watch Barakamon and Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun. Both are really standout hits and have been getting great impressions.

Sword Art Online II 2

Thank god the tentacles showed up to remind me that this was SAO or else I'd have been confused into thinking I was watching something good.

I thought it might have been a class trip but I had no idea where they were supposed to be. Thanks.

That it's a class trip is established by a shot showing a bunch of students entering the building led by an older lady who's obviously a teacher:

And the building itself is even identified in English if you look closely enough:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom