• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

aldnoah 2

I loved it

+good tension all the way, the whole episode had varied pieces, in the sky, on the ground, I liked the big scale it was showing.

+I like their CGI, because the framerate is not horribly low like elsewhere usually is, what they did with shading makes the objects gel well enough, it's not perfect but I like how surfaces don't have a glossy shiny look to them.

+I like Inaho, this is how mecha mc should be now not another baka Shinji clone. He doesn't scream his emotions out but doesn't look like he's a robot though, don't get the complaints.

o kill la kill soundtracks works well here...
o the ED artworks look very pretty, it's just that there is no animation so nothing special.

-OP is meh
-The extremely one sided battle was disappointing. I actually like real military units and earth mechas look cool too but what's the point when they're redundant and useless. hopefully they are not entirely replaced by Jesus mecha in future...
-the story is very by the books and predictable so far
-the bad guy behind the attack is so comical evil type, though obviously he's just a scrub little guy, hope there is more to the higher up guys.

I really enjoyed it overall, definitive watch for me

Kansoku

Another 12

Yeah, ok.

Incredible boring and then the deaths isn't that interesting either. Not even so bad it's funny, just plain boring. It gave my sound-system something to do at certain points at least and it looks ok? Maybe it would have worked better as a short movie instead of a long TV series? I dunno.

1/10 I don't even care to make somethings.

I really like the sound design at the beginning, but yeah, it became a lot stupid trough it all.
And it would be definitively better as a movie.

Midonin

Mahouka 15

So the book arcs are split across two volumes. That explains the interminable length of the events and why we're only on the second arc even though this is a two cour show. Thinking about this series makes me realize the strengths of other shows. Horizon also had a bunch of people who were really good at what they did, a complicated magical system/world setting and lots of talking to explain it all... but the characters in Horizon also had personality. Quirkiness. Some concrete sense of motivation. And Toori knew that sometimes the best way to win is the play the fool, as opposed to Tatsuya who... I'm not even sure what he is, because it's not bombastic and even if he did have an inner monologue, it doesn't sound like it'd be very exciting.

fertygo

SAO - 2

I don't know why everyone keep mentioning the tentacle because the earlier creeper shot at Shinon is way worse lol

Btw goddamn son, that actually damn good shit, and that sakuga at the end.. aniplex throwing dem money.

Another 12

Yeah, ok.

Incredible boring and then the deaths isn't that interesting either. Not even so bad it's funny, just plain boring. It gave my sound-system something to do at certain points at least and it looks ok? Maybe it would have worked better as a short movie instead of a long TV series? I dunno.

1/10 I don't even care to make somethings.

Really? I thought it was okay for a stupid slasher flick. Yea it probably would have worked better as a movie than as a series.

Really? I thought it was okay for a stupid slasher flick. Yea it probably would have worked better as a movie than as a series.

Not enough kills or thrills for it to be in the 'ok for a stupid slasher flick' category, and there's the censoring of course. The 'mystery' bits took up so much of the series that it all became boring. I'd rather recommend a rewatch of all of the Final Destination series than this.

Sword Art Online II 02
Decent ED.
Well there sure were a lot of flattering shots of Sinon this episode.

Is everyone Max Payne in GGO? Activating their bullet cams.

Oh boy, more tentacle action. This series just can't resist.
Actually pretty good episode, but that's probably because Kirito didn't show up until the end.

Such a shame that apparently nobody besides big characters decides to make cool looking people with ridiculous clothing in this show. Like they have never played an MMO have they? Everybody wants to stand out.

Such a shame that apparently nobody besides big characters decides to make cool looking people with ridiculous clothing in this show. Like they have never played an MMO have they? Everybody wants to stand out.
This is one of my grips about SAO as well.

Log Horizon's random people were all mostly unique.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Tonari No Seki-Kun OVA Special 2:

I rather liked mixing the formula up with the winter setting and the snowball fighting.

fertygo

Look, the top 100 sexiest female at FHM is always big fat of meh.. those MAL list is equivalent of it, with many people that vote on it only recognize the famous thing.. so no need to act like its broke some sense of validity, also some of the best anime is not even famous at their own country... So..

Look, the top 100 sexiest female at FHM is always big fat of meh.. those MAL list is equivalent of it, with many people that vote on it only recognize the famous thing.. so no need to act like its broke some sense of validity, also some of the best anime is not even famous at their own country.

Yo as long as it has Gintama I'm fine, even if some series don't belong on the list.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Mahouka 15

That was hype as fuck. Easily the most fun episode to watch. I noticed that Tatsuya wasn't using his Trident so I guess we'll see what activation sequences he has loaded for the final match. I hope the next episode will be just as kickass.

Sword Art Online II 2
sword_art_online_season_2_episode_2_ath055.jpg

I like this chick. She has guts. And she is freakin crazy! Crazy awesome.

Was a pretty good episode. Don't know why people are pointing out the "tentacle" Silica scene. Not even remotely bad. Sinon lying in prone position is more provocative than whatever happened with Silica.

Surprisingly good episode. Let's see if they can keep it up.

Narag

Look, the top 100 sexiest female at FHM is always big fat of meh.. those MAL list is equivalent of it, with many people that vote on it only recognize the famous thing.. so no need to act like its broke some sense of validity, also some of the best anime is not even famous at their own country... So..

Yeah, but it's annoying as you don't see people bandying about equivalent types of lists as some great metric. Imagine if someone tried to convince you Kirito was a top tier character because hey check this Newtype poll.

JoeFu

Banned
I didn't get the Sawano hate at first, but I think I now understand it after watching Aldnoah Zero.

Everything just sounds the same and all the music tries to be grandiose. I'm sad that Xenoblade X is going to have him instead of the people that worked on Xenoblade :(

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I found Sawashiro's voice sort of awkward for Sinon. Not sure why. Maybe it's because I was expecting something like Hayami.

Shounen Hollywood - 2

Still pretty slow paced, but its a bit all over the place in terms of writing. There is some philosophical bullshit, too.

Still like it though, I really like the fact that it is not heavy handed at all. MC has character and develops without some overbearing scene.

Narag

Chaika 10

Good way to end it with Akari appearing as she did. Psycho kid was some laughable shit as was
making sure to explain what can kill a dragoon before Fredrica getting a chestful of sword later

Thoraxes

I didn't get the Sawano hate at first, but I think I now understand it after watching Aldnoah Zero.

Everything just sounds the same and all the music tries to be grandiose. I'm sad that Xenoblade X is going to have him instead of the people that worked on Xenoblade :(

I have a little more faith in XBX because of the different medium... I hope.

I liked all the trailer music anyways.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Aldnoah.Zero Episode 2:

Ah Sawano my arch-nemesis, we meet once again, and once again you torment my eardrums with your questionable picks of music. Anyway, a much better episode as it captures the fog of war and the hopelessness of the situation quite well. I am curious about the grander picture here though, I am curious why the Martian forces waited 15 years to resume their assault on the Earth and indeed if that reason isn't still existing.

Blusby

In regard to episode 02 of Aldnoah, I posted this in the show's thread:

It was implied that the Aldnoah's invulnerability shielding has a limited timespan, I'm sure strategies will be made around that key piece of information.

Dynedom

Aldnoah Zero - 02

Oh boy. I'm getting Guilty Crown vibes from this. Maybe it's the comically over-the-top villain?

Then some of this writing. I mean, mechanime (or any anime for that matter) have problems when they
kill off friends/family of an MC in the early game
but then to double down by having the MC
be almost completely unaffected by it or have pacing that makes it seem that way
just seems like a big no-no. I mean, even Black Bullet
handled death better

Also: what in the hell did
they think was going to happen to a person who tries to exit a high-speed vehicle? His heart may have been in the right place but come on.

The editing or arrangement of scenes seemed odd as well. What was the real point of showing
the MC meeting the princess
in such a way. Why not show that before
cutting to everyone in the truck?

Episode 03 will really show a lot (for good or bad).

Narag

Aldnoah.Zero Episode 2:

I am curious why the Martian forces waited 15 years to resume their assault on the Earth and indeed if that reason isn't still existing.

Just assumed they were held in check by their existing hierarchy and once that was disrupted, game on.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Aldnoah Zero 02

I was sent the removed scene that deals with the London landing.

Martian: Hail me puny Earthlings for I am your god!
Londoner: You sound a bit cranky luv, I think what you need is a good cup of tea.
Martian: Cup of tea?
Londoner: Aye, here you go.
Martian: This is the most beautiful thing I've ever drunk. Is this what I've been missing my whole life? All Mars has is red sand. It's why we're so angry you know. After 40 years of nothing but red sand I knew not joy.
Londoner: That's understandable guv. Come, lets go to the pub. It'll be my round.
Martian: That sounds splendid. You know, I think this is the start of a wonderful friendship.
Londoner: I do too son, I do too.

End scene.

fertygo

Aldnoah.Zero

These CG is awful, I know you guys said that to all CG thing. But this is far from anything recent from Orange or even CG that shown in Sidonia. New tech my ass, all the mech is on par with random jeep from F/Z so far..
Yes the MC is awful.

What? last 5 minute is great character moment for Inoha.

Jarmel

Banned
People complaining about the Aldnoah Zero lead, have seen Fate/Zero right?

It's like you guys have never seen an Urobuchi show before.

Dynedom

he was terrible but it's apparent that he's not THE bad guy, haven't seen much of gc though no idea.

Neither was the character I'm remembering. That's still not a good sign.

I'm not passing complete judgment yet but I'll be wary. I can tolerate dumb in shows like Captain Earth because I think it knows it's dumb, haha.

Aldnoah.Zero

These CG is awful, I know you guys said that to all CG thing. But this is far from anything recent from Orange or even CG that shown in Sidonia. New tech my ass, all the mech is on par with random jeep from F/Z so far..

What? last 5 minute is great character moment for Inoha.
I just mean
the utter non reaction on his part or his friend being vaporized. Usually even completely non-emotional MCs have a reaction when their friends die at the very least.

Uncomparable, Kiritsugu has a reason for the way he acts and it is established repeatedly through the series from the very beginning.

Blusby

I like Inaho as well, he's a breath of fresh when compared to most of the protagonists in the genre.
Also depending on
when Slaine inevitably gets that Aldnoah, cause I know he will, if he starts going bonkers after it evil aliens possessing the martian's minds theory is totes legit.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The martians are going to be facing a hefty court case with all that property damage. I'd hate to be in their shoes right now.

Jex

[Stardust Crusaders] - 15

I actually kind of...prefer the fight from the 2000's OVA's which is not something that I expected I'd be saying. Obviously it's very different encounter with major plot differences but it was actually kind of awesome.

I still enjoyed this episode, of course.

It's like you guys have never seen an Urobuchi show before.

Just the first 3 episodes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom