• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly

Mahouka - 15
This is not a very good show, but the action is pretty enjoyable.
But,.oh my god, the pacing. This magical competition stuff is so stretched out.
Everyone understands that Onii-sama is op. And that his team will destroy everyone until finals. But no, lets waste our time on all those meaningless matches between.
I won't be surprised if the next episode contains only a half of final battle and ends right at the moment Tatsuya is forced to use his secret magics.

Also, I tried to read Mahouka books. They are better than the anime, but pseudoscience is quite annoying.
I like science fiction. I really like Steins Gate, for example. But science in it was based on real science while bending a couple of rules. In Mahouka it's just a lot of capitalised letters that don't mean anything.
And some oddly specific things, like "battle board is 285 cm long and 51 cm wide". 51 cm? Why 51?!
Yeah the pacing is atrocious. I got sick of it really early on and went to read the LN too. I think it's alot better and there's alot of things the anime just can't convey.

Quasar

Yeah the pacing is atrocious. I got sick of it really early on and went to read the LN too. I think it's alot better and there's alot of things the anime just can't convey.

Its funny...them taking their time is one thing I appreciate, rather than the constant rushing most anime has. Of course with the episodes limits anime has that hurts the sheer amount of story to be told.

Chariot

Tokyo ESP 1
Interesting ESP terrorism and gathering the team. It feels lacking in something though
Build-Up. I have read the manga and still had trouble to connect emotional to anything.
It's not unusual that anime show scenes from future episodes, but filling the whole episode with this is just stupid.

-Horizon-

I went back to check the scenes afterward just to give you the benefit of the doubt.

d1lMkC0.jpg

Yea no.

"I need to get back home to watch Mahouka"

kasane

I vow to post more in here as i have shows im currently following

Glasslip 2

The glass is cute.

Who likes who is so obvious

Reaction near the end: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SAO II

I really can't remember how GGO started in the novel but i could say im disappointed by this episode. Felt like could have put more into this ep

Rail Wars 2

Its needs to be said. This show is a train wreck. I don't usually post lewd images and I hope Duckroll spares my soul but this show is not about trains. Its about some lame romance and the occasional oh shit we have a job to do but its blatantly obvious that the author is making up these circumstances with the explicit goal of pairing these characters in "romantic" situations. Situations like you have to rest your elbow on my breasts to defuse the bomb.

All in all we have a timid MC who has done nothing special and constantly repeats the line" for the customers,for the customers" and is yet awarded. Tsundere red head with her ass sticking out at nearly every shot she's in, pink head girl who likes the MC for no apparent reason and has certain assets and some guy who no one cares about.

Screen_Shot_2014_07_12_at_22_33_54.jpg

Yes MC, what indeed.

Mature

Aldnoah.Zero - 2
That CG was atrocious. Why am I supposed to care about these characters again? Haha, this show is kind of awful.

jgminto

Sword Art Online II 2

Watch a teenage girl get hit on by a grown man as the camera focuses on her tits. Great...and I bet they're never going to waste an opportunity to show her ass when she's sniping. The fight was pretty cool, definitely better than anything in the first season. I didn't like the tone though, it seemed too serious for something so dumb. What does "smiling on the battlefield" have to do with anything? It's a fucking videogame? Then we see the harem losers player their lame old mmo aaaaaand the loli gets tentacled again...haha just like old times NO FUCK YOU SAO. Tentacle rape can't be turned into some sort of dumb nostalgia trip. Will we reminisce about Asuna's tear licking next episode?

Its funny...them taking their time is one thing I appreciate, rather than the constant rushing most anime has. Of course with the episodes limits anime has that hurts the sheer amount of story to be told.
My main problem is that they show every (almost every?) match, but nothing is happening during those matches. There is no struggle, no real competition, no winning in the last second. Just straight owning every single time.
To me it looks like perfect "cut" material for anime adaptation.

Sword Art Online II 2

Watch a teenage girl get hit on by a grown man as the camera focuses on her tits. Great...and I bet they're never going to waste an opportunity to show her ass when she's sniping. The fight was pretty cool, definitely better than anything in the first season. I didn't like the tone though, it seemed too serious for something so dumb. What does "smiling on the battlefield" have to do with anything? It's a fucking videogame? Then we see the harem losers player their lame old mmo aaaaaand the loli gets tentacled again...haha just like old times NO FUCK YOU SAO. Tentacle rape can't be turned into some sort of dumb nostalgia trip. Will we reminisce about Asuna's tear licking next episode?

I really hope so.

Chariot

Sword Art Online II 2

<3

Sword Art Online's whole raison d'etre is to produce posts like this.

Sword Art Online II 2

Right out of my mouth.

StormKing

Mahouka - 15
This is not a very good show, but the action is pretty enjoyable.
But,.oh my god, the pacing. This magical competition stuff is so stretched out.
Everyone understands that Onii-sama is op. And that his team will destroy everyone until finals. But no, lets waste our time on all those meaningless matches between.
I won't be surprised if the next episode contains only a half of final battle and ends right at the moment Tatsuya is forced to use his secret magics.

Also, I tried to read Mahouka books. They are better than the anime, but pseudoscience is quite annoying.
I like science fiction. I really like Steins Gate, for example. But science in it was based on real science while bending a couple of rules. In Mahouka it's just a lot of capitalised letters that don't mean anything.
And some oddly specific things, like "battle board is 285 cm long and 51 cm wide". 51 cm? Why 51?!

Just looked it up, 51cm is about the width of a typical surf board. The author wanted us to know that battle board is magical surfing.

Aldnoah.Zero Ep. 2

ijxWfz0Yfkj7s.jpg

This kid has to be one of the worst main characters they could of come up with.

Shinji is a better character. At least the former has emotions and ambitions that lead to his questionable actions throughout the series
and the end of the worldlol

Still, this guy is just a tool.

Pooya

I do think the compressed timetable really screws up the 'logicality' of the show. If it had been 200 years or so since Heaven's Fall then that would explain why human civilization was close to normal, instead of being a complete mess like it should be, and also would emphasize the gap between the Human and Martian technology in a more believable way.

It would also help explain the Martian side a bit better(that's assuming there isn't time travel/dilation already in the story, which is very possible. Something like Heaven's Gate was a wormhole and when it was destroyed, time sped up for the Martians while Terrans progressed like normal).

yeah, I didn't want to trust the information given so far much because it could be deliberate misleading maybe but with how bad the evil guy was and how that soldier guy has seen shit 15 years ago I'm not expecting some oblivion like twist :\
just not expecting much from the story now, I still think it can be very fun like this week was.

Now that SAO II has dealt with the great issue of smiling on the battlefield, obviously asking if love can bloom on it is the next question.
Guess that's what Kirito's there to answer.

Now that SAO II has dealt with the great issue of smiling on the battlefield, obviously asking if love can bloom on it is the next question.
Guess that's what Kirito's there to answer.
What a fucking douche. He's gonna make this innocent girl fall for him and then "sorry baby I have waifu already". Poor girl never stood a chance.

Jex

[Aldnoah.Zero] - 2

I really want to like this episode and this series as a whole, but I just can't. Certain parts about the series are just holding it back from legitimately good.

You know, the best part about following the anime industry fairly closely is that when I watch a show like this I know exactly to blame. I can point the finger at a specific person and say "Oi! You! Why did you do this?". In this case, my blame is not targeted at Ei Aoki, the director of this series. As always, his direction is impressive and confident. Watching his work you realise how sloppy and painfully average most directors in anime actually are. If this wasn't being directed by him I would have dropped this show immediately.

Instead, I have to blame Sawano and Urobuchi. Even though Sawano and Urobuchi have very different roles (composer and writer, respectively) they both constantly commit the same sin - the sin of being obnoxiously over-the-top. Neither of them seem to understand the concept of subtly or restraint.

Sawano can't stop himself from going ham in every action scene and it's very distracting. While it worked in an emotionally heightened and crazy series like Attack on Titan, Aoki's direction on Aldnoah.Zero is far more mature and refined, less 'anime' if you will, and so Sawano's overbearing score clashes badly with the tone set by the visuals.

Meanwhile, Urobuchi tries his best to make the writing clash with Aoki's direction. He doesn't understand that murdering people we don't even know or care about isn't interesting or 'edgy', it's just a waste of time. Neither can he stop himself from making the Martians scenery-chewing villains. I mean, really Urobuchi, can't they just be competent military commanders from a different faction, do they have to be cartoon characters? Does it serve any purpose apart from making the show feel ridiculous?

Also, please stop writing painfully obvious stuff like this for your characters to say. We don't need them to explain what's going on visually, have faith that your audience can work that out from the visuals alone for gods sake:

Now, I have a handful of specific complaints with the writing in this episode. Firstly we have Earthling military blokes spouting a bunch of nonsense:

What does this even mean? They've had just as long as you and they're completely superior in every way!

Is it really surprise? How can no-one has known? Didn't Earthlings clash with the Martians 15 years ago? So why do they have no-idea of their level of technology? Lt Mario whatever saw it with his own eyes, so the military must be aware how outclasses they are!

I can admit that this is a bit of a nitpick but:

Jamming communications and equipment has been part of warfare for a long time, don't talk it's some crazy idea that only Martians could think up.

What are you even talking about? Did you see the parts where that robot is defying the known laws of physics while you're sitting in a giant tin can?

Should they? They just tried something that had no effect, lets try it again! Dumb,

I'm not too thrilled with how everyone is reacting to the attack either. Most civilians seem completely unphased when their should be some serious panic, or at least some moaning and whaling. Instead everyone looks calm and board. The kids chat likes it's nothing even though a calamity is clearly occurring. Earth's greatest cities are being ruined, the end times are approaching etc. And yet everyone is calm and collected. This just doesn't ring true.

Oh, and don't tell me that the communications disruption is the reason either:

Do you see that shit? That's hundreds of thousands of dead people. Panic would be expected. It would be human.

Going back to my Turn A comparison, that show was much better in showing how people would react:

I know a number of people have commented on our emotionless MC but that doesn't bother me. It's so overt that you can be assured that it will be developed and explored later, which is fine by me.

I'm sure there will be pay off.

You already know my stance on CG and this wasn't even Orange tier. It was just ugly tier.

Stulaw

Aldnoah.Zero 2

I was actually waiting for them to blow up the White House and for Will Smith to come along and punch a Martian in the face.

Still, I think I might drop this for now and come back to this if it ever turns out any good, I wouldn't mind if they kill the MC off and make the Princess the MC though.

Tokyo ESP 1

Well, that was... something. I guess I'll watch episode 2, it was better than Aldnoah.Zero, although that's not hard, the teleporting girl was pretty nifty.

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 1

I read some of the manga, not realising it had an anime out, I will be watching the entirety of this. I think the beginning was different in the manga from what I remember.

Tonari no Seki-kun OVA 2

Ah, the snow rabbit episode, I guess reading it in the manga sort of made this less funny,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom