• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Barakamon Episode 2:

Does anybody in this village have any manners? Anyway, yea, this show continues to be a highlight of this season.

Shounen Hollywood Episode 2
BsX7ox0IUAMyiS7.jpg
BsX7fKTIUAIbZav.jpg
The ed must be themed for each episode as it wasnt the puppetshow thing anymore but instead a really nice one themed around the shoes of the episode. I like how the anime isnt just another dancing singing idol show but more of an inspirational type one of finding what one must do, the right or wrong path in life, and how to make the most of things. The presidents past needs to be detailed but with the advice he gives it may not be necessary.

The part about the friends though made me tear up. How he didnt want to crush their happniess by showing them the shoes but was happy for them seemingly as well as for himself.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Barakamon - 2

SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI!

Well... Managed to do another watchbet...

Kill la Kill 01

Action-packed first episode with some comedy too. Not like anything I've watched before I think.

The subtitles are all messed up on Netflix though (screenshot from Crunchyroll). Got those left justified ones Femmeworth was talking about and they only show 1 subtitle/translation at a time so whenever there's some translated text popping up the subtitle disappears too fast.

SAO Phantom Bullet Episode 2

This episode was enjoyable due to having some Shinon action, which was great. It was nice seeing some gun action and a bit of the mechanics. Yeah I got to side with the people saying some of the dialogue being iffy. Aside from the little tentacle scene the episode wasn't bad and the ending was good.

fixed subtitle

jbug617

Banned
Barakamon 2
Sensei!!!!!! Show is so good

Mahouka 15
So I guess the next episode will be the conclusion of the arc. Can't wait to see Tatsuya take down Crimson Prince and Cardinal George.

SAO S2 2
Cool to see Lisbeth. Sad all 3 girls
accept Asuna as the head wife.

Barakamon 2

Continues to be a light hearted fun show. This episode was a bit slower and covered several chapters whilst introducing new characters. It may not sound exciting but the characters really are loveable especially Naru.

Still the best show of the season.

Barakamon - 2

SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI!

Nice post for episode 2.

Jarmel

Banned
[Aldnoah.Zero] - 2

Meanwhile, Urobuchi tries his best to make the writing clash with Aoki's direction. He doesn't understand that murdering people we don't even know or care about isn't interesting or 'edgy', it's just a waste of time. Neither can he stop himself from making the Martians scenery-chewing villains. I mean, really Urobuchi, can't they just be competent military commanders from a different faction, do they have to be cartoon characters? Does it serve any purpose apart from making the show feel ridiculous?

Yea I had an issue with this. It does feel too over the top but then again, this is a society that set up a world war seemingly for kicks. They really don't view the Terrans as anything other than a minor road bump. I think though that Mr. Rat Crusher is more of an exception in that the other commanders seem more level headed even if they're condescending as fuck:
The other Martians really don't seem to be enjoying this, in a bloodthirsty manner, but find it somewhat boring. It's only Mr. Nezumi Crusher that seems to get off on it.
Now, I have a handful of specific complaints with the writing in this episode. Firstly we have Earthling military blokes spouting a bunch of nonsense:

What does this even mean? They've had just as long as you and they're completely superior in every way!

That's actually a pretty normal thing. How many sports teams say they pray to God after all! People pretty often only look at their side and don't take into account that the other side worked/planned just as hard.
Is it really surprise? How can no-one has known? Didn't Earthlings clash with the Martians 15 years ago? So why do they have no-idea of their level of technology?
Well again this might tie into the time dilation thing in that it's possible 15 years ago the Martians were much closer to being equal to the Terrans in technology but they had a massive jump in the past few years.
I'm not too thrilled with how everyone is reacting to the attack either. Most civilians seem completely unphased when their should be some serious panic, or at least some moaning and whaling. Instead everyone looks calm and board. The kids chat likes it's nothing even though a calamity is clearly occurring. Earth's greatest cities are being ruined, the end times are approaching etc. And yet everyone is calm and collected. This just doesn't ring true.

Oh, and don't tell me that the communications disruption is the reason either:

Do you see that shit? That's hundreds of thousands of dead people. Panic would be expected. It would be human.

Well I would say that they knew of the attacks and landings but didn't have a firm grasp of the damage. Usually in catastrophic or largescale events like that, it takes time for people to understand how much damage has been done and if there were communication issues then that compounds it. With 9/11(hot topic of the week I guess) it took hours for people to figure out what happened and that was a rather small scale event compared to what happened in the show. People might know that a few cities have gotten wrecked or bombed but it seems like they don't know that those cities got 'nuked' instead. The next few lines right after your screencap confirms this:

jgminto

"Criminal Girls marries interesting gaming concepts to some iffy gender politics" Oh Crunchyroll, I didn't know beating people into submission was an interesting game concept.

Glasslip 2

A much more interesting episode than the first. Surprised that they are moving to confessing already. I also still don't get why Yuki and that other girl live together. Is it a dorm?

Aldanoah Zero 2

Loved it. Probably the most interesting show this season.

Sword Art Online II

Way better than the first episode cause of the action.

Mahouka 15

Yukina finding out that Erika also has a brother complex = gold.

jbug617

Banned
I dont think they could do that since Haruka is getting the No Head Dragon information in that one scene, suggesting we still need to address that plot point.

I sort of figure the match would only take up half the episode then we get to that part in the 2nd half. I guess that would be rushing it.

Tell me one thing.
Is Crimson Prince going to help Tatsuya go after the gambling organization?

Syrinx

Ranma 1/2 30

Wish they didn't distract Ranma's date with Shampoo with that dojo challenger. An episode mostly focused on a date between those two could have been really fun and hilarious. Oh well, Shampoo tricking him all those times including the end was funny enough.

Jex

Yea I had an issue with this. It does feel too over the top but then again, this is a society that set up a world war seemingly for kicks. They really don't view the Terrans as anything other than a minor road bump. I think though that Mr. Rat Crusher is more of an exception in that the other commanders seem more level headed even if they're condescending as fuck:

The other Martians really don't seem to be enjoying this, in a bloodthirsty manner, but find it somewhat boring. It's only Mr. Nezumi Crusher that seems to get off on it.
I'm equally unhappy with all these guys acting the way they do because I don't buy their attitude for a people who have been around for literally 40ish years.

And even, why do we have to accept a stupid cartoon character in this universe when other's are more reasonable?
Well again this might tie into the time dilation thing in that it's possible 15 years ago the Martians were much closer to being equal to the Terrans in technology but they had a massive jump in the past few years.
There's a lot of assumptions to swallow here. At present I simply can't buy the timescale put forward by the series.

Well I would say that they knew of the attacks and landings but didn't have a firm grasp of the damage. Usually in catastrophic or largescale events like that, it takes time for people to understand how much damage has been done and if there were communication issues then that compounds it. With 9/11(hot topic of the week I guess) it took hours for people to figure out what happened and that was a rather small scale event compared to what happened in the show. People might know that a few cities have gotten wrecked or bombed but it seems like they don't know that those cities got 'nuked' instead. The next few lines right after your screencap confirms this:
What's their to grasp? The image in the news report is a literal mushroom cloud over a major metropolitan area. The reporter says major cities were all attached at once so you could assume probably millions dead if they all looked like that.

Moreover, even without further information, we're talking about an invasion of Earth by the Martians. The last time they attacked half the planet was destroyed and (presumably) billions of people were killed by the debris from he moon. This something that everyone either experienced first hand or learnt about at school. I would say that you should PANIC.

Vylash

Barakamon Episode 2

jbyTvnZg37mBB9.jpg

This show probably has my favorite cast this season, everyone is so fun and charming, naru is so great

Thoraxes

That's pretty cool box art.
Think the manga did the same thing with the spines, just with characters.
The VHS tapes did the image stuff too! (i'm missing the one that completes Babadi's face so here's a pic with a partial Buu.)

Stickers on the box is the worst. Pretty cool otherwise though.
I hate them too, but thankfully it's just on the slips.

I bought the same 3 because they were on sale for like $15 each. I'm waiting for the other seasons to drop in price.

Yup! The girl there asked me if I wanted the others but I told her I was just going to wait for more sales. Not that $25 for 4-6 is bad, but the $15-$18 each is just better.

Barakamon Episode 2

jbyTvnZg37mBB9.jpg

This show probably has my favorite cast this season, everyone is so fun and charming, naru is so great

They really nailed Naru's character especially with stuff like her animation and voice. Barakamon really is one of those feel good anime's.

Barakamon 2

The pacing feels a bit quick to me, but still definitely the comfiest show of this season.

It was but I think its good. They covered like 3 chapters in this episode.

cajunator

Banned
Well... Managed to do another watchbet...

Kill la Kill 01

Action-packed first episode with some comedy too. Not like anything I've watched before I think.

The subtitles are all messed up on Netflix though (screenshot from Crunchyroll). Got those left justified ones Femmeworth was talking about and they only show 1 subtitle/translation at a time so whenever there's some translated text popping up the subtitle disappears too fast.

you always watchbet some pretty good shows.

Barakamon 2
Sensei!!!!!! Show is so good

Mahouka 15
So I guess the next episode will be the conclusion of the arc. Can't wait to see Tatsuya take down Crimson Prince and Cardinal George.

SAO S2 2
Cool to see Lisbeth. Sad all 3 girls
accept Asuna as the head wife.

Liz is in it? Watching it for sure. You probably mean she pops in for 5 seconds but Ill take that risk.

RangerBAD

Was the sound of the music much louder than the voices, in Tokyo ESP episode 1, for anyone else?

Also, I don't know how I like the adaptation. They're acting like it's a Ga-Rei sequel when it's not. The two worlds haven't shown a connection in the manga. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) This has a very serious tone so far, and the manga has more of a comedic tone. These things don't even have to do with time compression issues as this is getting 12 episodes.
I think that's plenty for the first main arc.
I feel like we're going down the Zetman route with the adaptation...

I will say that I like the animation and music.

Andrew J.

Aldnoah Zero 02

Unlike some viewers here, it never bothered me much that the Martian colonists had developed this arrogant attitude in such a short amount of time. "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." But even though I knew that last week, it's only after this episode that I felt I really understood it.

Felt more like early Attack on Titan than anything else. Our hero had better stumble upon the super prototype Aldnoah soon or else this anime is gonna be real short.

Deadly

Mahouka 15
I dont think they could do that since Haruka is getting the No Head Dragon information in that one scene, suggesting we still need to address that plot point.
There's also Mirage Bat that hasn't been played yet for the official division. I'm guessing 2-3 episodes.

Fireblend

Banned
Really enjoying Barakamon. I thought the plot was a bit too dispersed this time but I enjoyed nonetheless, I see from the posts above that it covers various chapters of the manga so that explains it I guess. The characters are really enjoyable and I'm happy that the show has plenty of them to explore and isn't only about MC and Naru. Definitely going in the right direction; I'm a sucker for feel good shows with MCs acting as parental figures. Fully on board this one.

Jarmel

Banned
What's their to grasp? The image in the news report is a literal mushroom cloud over a major metropolitan area. The reporter says major cities were all attached at once so you could assume probably millions dead if they all looked like that.

Moreover, even without further information, we're talking about an invasion of Earth by the Martians. The last time they attacked half the planet was destroyed and (presumably) billions of people were killed by the debris from he moon. This something that everyone either experienced first hand or learnt about at school. I would say that you should PANIC.

Well wherever the main cast is on Earth, they're relatively detached, in a physical sense, from all the violence until Mr. Nezumi Crusher shows up. We don't know what the outskirts of New Orleans looks like and if people are freaking out there. There was also a minor time skip in that we're seeing the tail-end of the evacuations so there has been some time for things to settle in peoples' minds.

People knew the Martians were coming for awhile, as seen by the evacuations at the end of the last episode, and they probably knew it was going to be bad.

I feel the need to inform you all that Terror in Tokyo is the better title to Terror in Resonance, as well as the official title in Japan.

You can Abbreviate it TiT.

TIT.

And at the end of the day, isn't that why we're all here?

mankoto

Mahouka 15
I expected Onii-sama vs Prince NOT Suzaku this week and not Onii-sama vs lvl 1 grunts. Next week Onii-sama will surely assurt his dominance.

Is that some Lotus Juice I hear?
It is. He's been in the OST since the beginning but the track was never as clear as before to be able to tell.

SAO 2 2
Probably one of the better episodes of the series. The action was nice. Shinon was about as interesting as Kirito but at least she is better to look at. And then a reminder of why this show is called SAO with some tentacles.

Hattori

Banned
I feel the need to inform you all that Terror in Tokyo is the better title to Terror in Resonance, as well as the official title in Japan.

You can Abbreviate it TiT.

TIT.

And at the end of the day, isn't that why we're all here?
I believe our fallen comrade Theonik would beg to differ...

Well wherever the main cast is on Earth, they're relatively detached, in a physical sense, from all the violence until Mr. Nezumi Crusher shows up. We don't know what the outskirts of New Orleans looks like and if people are freaking out there. There was also a minor time skip in that we're seeing the tail-end of the evacuations so there has been some time for things to settle in peoples' minds.

People knew the Martians were coming for awhile, as seen by the evacuations at the end of the last episode, and they probably knew it was going to be bad.
So you're really trying to push the argument that because they knew it was coming that of course nobody in the general populace would panic? Their entire planet is about to get wrecked again why would you not panic regardless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom