• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Not to be a party pooper, but I kind of think that work safe is stupid, you should be working at work not posting and reading shit on forums unless it's on your breaks. This doesn't mean I don't think there should be Decency rules for thread posting. No one wants to see or read shit that is clearly offensive or indecent. It's just a pet peeve of mine when people complain about stuff using work as a reason.

Work safe should be read as being compliant with google ad rules as well. If the forum can't comply with that, there goes the ads.

Andrew J.

Argevollen 01

There's an odd disparity in the technology level here. There's giant robots, computer, ad fancy visual displays, but no aircraft, and the infantry tactics seems anachronistically limited.

The grunt mechs are pretty boring, (but better than M3, at least). The Argevollen itself looks pretty cool though.

The show never spent enough time on any one character for the audience to really get to know them, but that happens at the beginning of shows like this sometimes. Hopefully they'll get more fleshed out later on.

Oh hey, NIS bringing over a certain game has led to another fun thread.

NIS is a never ending source of hilarity.

Those threads all go the same way. Down.

Something that has bothered me about mecha shows is when there are people fighting against mechas with regular guns. Like I'm sure this futuristic government must've designed better weapons for humans to deal with giant metal robots.

If you are infantry on foot in a mecha show you are already pretty fucked.

Joe Molotov

Aw man! I've been waiting forever for Property Title Goes Here: The Complete Collection!

Seriously, though, how can something like that actually make it through to print??

Probably the same why that Resident Evil: Revelaitons can.

They just...didn't...care.

Something that has bothered me about mecha shows is when there are people fighting against mechas with regular guns. Like I'm sure this futuristic government must've designed better weapons for humans to deal with giant metal robots.

Lurky

You would think that but they spent all of their money trying to build giant mechs instead. oops?

Narag

Mellowlink did the gun thing so well no one even tries now.

While mostly bad writing, there's probably some degree of wanting to take control of the situation as best you can. Think the end of Saving Private Ryan though, Captain Miller and his pistol vs the tank.

Clov

FUNimation's lack of QC strikes again with the S.A.V.E. edition for Shangri-La Property Title Goes Here!

At least there's a reversable cover.

I saw that earlier today. Simply incredible. Usually the packaging is the best part of a Funimation release too, and they messed up this bad?

Then again, it is a SAVE release; the entire line is essentially where Funimation puts all the low-selling titles they don't care about. I can't expect them to care about those!

cajunator

Banned
Sword Art Online 22

iWFh2HKEAWD4U.gif

I thought they said the server was going down for maintenance last ep too. Kept waiting for Kirito to get booted off during the grand quest for that autentic mmo experience.

You should just post more pics of Alicia Rue.

Kurumi-to-post ratio was pretty respectable last thread. There's nothing this season that I'll likely watch before 2016.

Have some NSFW DAL :sdburton to give this post a modicum of meaning.

careful. Dont wanna lose you.

You really are the most insufferably cretinous poster in AnimeGAF.

The gleefully malicious STEM//occupational taunting and condescension that runs rampant on GAF is disgusting and should be immediately denounced wherever it's encountered. It's bad enough in OT and I'll be fucked if it starts happening in this thread.

Shhhh
*hugs madp

Oh man, you've just given me memories of that one Sonic X episode >_<. Where a giant robot is advancing through through the city, and the cops set up a roadblock and they tell the robot that THEY'LL OPEN FIRE IF IT TAKES ONE MORE STEP.

Then the robot takes like, three more steps, and then the three cops (yes, there were only three with weapons) open fire at the giant robot with their two sniper rifles and one pistol. TWO SNIPER RIFLES AND ONE PISTOL. With laser sound effects in the 4Kids dub. Yeah.

Oh man, you've just given me memories of that one Sonic X episode >_<. Where a giant robot is advancing through through the city, and the cops set up a roadblock and they tell the robot that THEY'LL OPEN FIRE IF IT TAKES ONE MORE STEP.

Then the robot takes like, three more steps, and then the three cops (yes, there were only three with weapons) open fire at the giant robot with their two sniper rifles and one pistol. TWO SNIPER RIFLES AND ONE PISTOL. With laser sound effects in the 4Kids dub. Yeah.

m0SSMEC.jpg

STOP RIGHT THERE. OR WE'LL POINT AT YOU. OR EVEN WORST.

No? we warned you

Oh hey, NIS bringing over a certain game has led to another fun thread.

Yeah, that followed a predictable course.

It is too bad that several of these Japanese developers (and anime makers, thinking back to the whole No Game No Life discussions here) feel the need to put this kind of... questionable content in their works. Man's sexual instincts can lead to some disgusting places.

Lurky

Yeah, that followed a predictable course.

It is too bad that several of these Japanese developers (and anime makers, thinking back to the whole No Game No Life discussions here) feel the need to put this kind of... questionable content in their works. Man's sexual instincts can lead to some disgusting places.

Hey they need something to get people to start buying into their shit. Good writing doesn't cut it anymore.

Finalow

almost finished with Diebuster, it indeed got better after the first episode. also I'm pretty sure that I never saw (or never noticed) the CG again.

Well, I feel pretty confident in drawing an impression of the overall quality of the this work based in the writing in the first episode. It's pretty young adult in nature, with the expected "OMG so DARK" stuff thrown in that you'd expect in a genre work of this nature.

Some people aren't bothered by this kind of thing, some are, but you'll probably know by the end of the episode whether it's for you.

Of course, I could be wrong and the writing style and quality could change completely later on, but that seems unlikely.
you might be right, "writing is already bad, it's going on that direction etc." but still I find that judging the whole work from just one episode is a bit harsh, unless you judge with some knowledge about the author or stuff like that.
I still have to watch it though.

Just watched the first episodes of both Glasslip and Free! Eternal Summer.

Glasslip is very pretty, though I suppose the plot won't happen so soon. Maybe by Episode 3.

Free! Eternal Summer on the other hand...

ZKjjNhZ.gif

Yep, it's more of the fun, whimsical nature of Season 1. The ED is total manservice though, if Exhibit A up there wasn't enough convincing of that.

I can't even believe that's real! That's so lazy! That's lazier packaging than Sentai, even.

Sentai may use economy packaging, but I don't recall any recent QC errors with their releases other than the whole 1080i issue with a few select titles throughout the years and stackpaks for DVDs.

Clov

Sentai may use economy packaging, but I don't recall any recent QC errors with their releases other than the whole 1080i issue with a few select titles throughout the years and stackpaks for DVDs.

I'm not talking about their QC issues (which seem to be far behind them now), but their Blu-Ray cases (the packaging, as you say!). On most of the two disc Blu-Ray sets I have from them, the first disc always slides a bit towards the front of the spindle. It doesn't fall off, it just slides forward and hangs. Nothing major, but annoying and (in my opinion) lazy.

The only two disc releases I have by them that don't do this are the K-ON! season two Blu-Ray sets. The earliest one I have that has the issue is Tsuritama, so maybe they switched over to those cases in 2013 at some point.

Jarmel

Banned
Got some Trigger news and pictures.

-Aoi was a fan of online games so was happy to do SAO OP.
-BLAU(title of album for Aoi) means blue in German and character on top of Aoi is blue. Sawano corrupts everything.
-Cute thing she was doing was singing along to her own songs playing in the background and bobbing her head.

-Ep 25 key art has Ryuuko in normal outfit and Satsuki with long hair standing in front of the academy with Elite Four in the background. Motif of ep 25 is goodbye and graduation. Subtitle is Goodbye One More Time. 25 is between ending and epilogue.

-Akko looks sad and in normal clothes so guessing they're going with her getting the boot from the academy. Some new sketches for LWA2, some from Animazement. One had Akko looking fierce with bow from LWA. Another had Akko transformed into a bloated monster with people/students facing her with pitchforks. Another had these arm sort monsters.

InouBattle-Looks generic as fuck. Animation seems fluid though. Looks like every other LN adaptation. InouBattle starts in October. Staff list in summer.

-KLK movie rumor denied
-KLK production literal hell
-Can only do anime original adaptation once every 4&5 years so they gotta do something in between to bring in the money.

-Stated that Amemiya was director of Inferno Cop and is doing Ninja Slayer
-Ninja Slayer PV was almost entirely live action. No footage was shown.
-Some character designs for Ninja Slayer were shown but I don't know how different it looks compared to the source material. Shameless 80s as fuck.
-Ninja Slayer is 2015. Looks like I was initially right about Inou being in the Fall and Slayer in '15. I wouldn't expect it in the Winter but that's a pure guess on my part.

-Inferno Cop 2 confirmed seemingly. "Stated please look forward to it". Character concept art for three new characters shown. One is a female with hair literally on fire. One is an Inferno Cop lookalike with three heads(lol). The final was a shitty drawing(even more lol).

Thoraxes

Got some Trigger news and pictures.

-Aoi was a fan of online games so was happy to do SAO OP.
-BLAU(title of album for Aoi) means blue in German and character on top of Aoi is blue. Sawano corrupts everything.
-Cute thing she was doing was singing along to her own songs playing in the background and bobbing her head.

-Ep 25 key art has Ryuuko in normal outfit and Satsuki with long hair standing in front of the academy with Elite Four in the background. Motif of ep 25 is goodbye and graduation. Subtitle is Goodbye One More Time. 25 is between ending and epilogue.

-Akko looks sad and in normal clothes so guessing they're going with her getting the boot from the academy. Some new sketches for LWA2, some from Animazement. One had Akko looking fierce with bow from LWA. Another had Akko transformed into a bloated monster with people/students facing her with pitchforks. Another had these arm sort monsters.

InouBattle-Looks generic as fuck. Animation seems fluid though. Looks like every other LN adaptation. InouBattle starts in October. Staff list in summer.

-KLK movie rumor denied
-KLK production literal hell
-Can only do anime original adaptation once every 4&5 years so they gotta do something in between to bring in the money.

-Stated that Amemiya was director of Inferno Cop and is doing Ninja Slayer
-Ninja Slayer PV was almost entirely live action. No footage was shown.
-Some character designs for Ninja Slayer were shown but I don't know how different it looks compared to the source material. Shameless 80s as fuck.
-Ninja Slayer is 2015. Looks like I was initially right.

-Inferno Cop 2 confirmed seemingly. "Stated please look forward to it". Character concept art for three new characters shown. One is a female with hair literally on fire. One is an Inferno Cop lookalike with three heads(lol). The final was a shitty drawing(even more lol).
Very nice. Thank you for the updates!

Well, that should be interesting to see.

KLK EPISODE 24 SPOILERS.

It was pretty bizzare going from seeing Ryuuko screaming Senketsu's name in anguish after his death then going to that ending scene with everybody's all happy and seeing Ryuuko moving on.

So I'm guessing it's safe to assume that episode 25 will mostly involve Ryuuko being sad for most of the episode as she goes through that "moving on" phase right before the ending sequence of episode 24 or something.

I'm not talking about their QC issues (which seem to be far behind them now), but their Blu-Ray cases (the packaging, as you say!). On most of the two disc Blu-Ray sets I have from them, the first disc always slides a bit towards the front of the spindle. It doesn't fall off, it just slides forward and hangs. Nothing major, but annoying and (in my opinion) lazy.

The only two disc releases I have by them that don't do this are the K-ON! season two Blu-Ray sets. The earliest one I have that has the issue is Tsuritama, so maybe they switched over to those cases in 2013 at some point.

Never noticed that with my sets, though the only two-disc Blu-ray from Sentai I own is Mysterious Girlfriend X. My other Sentai Blu-rays are either one-disc or four-disc sets.

cajunator

Banned
Not to be a party pooper, but I kind of think that work safe is stupid, you should be working at work not posting and reading shit on forums unless it's on your breaks. This doesn't mean I don't think there should be Decency rules for thread posting. No one wants to see or read shit that is clearly offensive or indecent. It's just a pet peeve of mine when people complain about stuff using work as a reason.

I post whenever I have time at work generally. Like right now Ive done everything possible despite stores running out of fuel so im just taking a break to eat.

FUNimation's lack of QC strikes again with the S.A.V.E. edition for Shangri-La Property Title Goes Here!

At least there's a reversable cover.

Luckily I got the blurays in a lovely artbox. Shangri La is a fun series. It was a bit ambitious with the amount of characters and suffered from bloat. I still recommend it though.

Jarmel

Banned
Wanted to record footage of the PVs for you all but they made it clear they could get in trouble for showing it (Wakabayshi was saying that Yoshinari had no clue what was being shown) so I decided to let it go. Somebody will probably upload it later but I didn't want to be the one. Stupid conscious.

I do have a couple of shots though. ;)

minus.com/lbcD4dZnKcdRh6
minus.com/l1fnHM8Mb9w6h

1st one is Ninja Slayer poster art. Poster is reversible. I'll buy one later.

2nd is Vol.8 KLK art.

edit: Not sure if this means new announcements on Sunday

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/484864341926096896

I didnt realize anime con panels were so boring. First and last time Im watching one.

I dont remember anytime where their second panel afteir overall media one had any new announcements beyond repeating what they already said, and since they showed the gargantia set, said dub of road to ninja is coming and theater showing, and dub of naruto sd, cant think they have anymore anime related announcements.

Clov

Never noticed that with my sets, though the only two-disc Blu-ray from Sentai I own is Mysterious Girlfriend X. My other Sentai Blu-rays are either one-disc or four-disc sets.

It's not a big deal, it's just a little loose. Definitely not a deal-breaker for me, since Sentai licenses a big portion of what I like.

I didnt realize anime con panels were so boring. First and last time Im watching one.

I dont remember anytime where their second panel afteir overall media one had any new announcements beyond repeating what they already said, and since they showed the gargantia set, said dub of road to ninja is coming and theater showing, and dub of naruto sd, cant think they have anymore anime related announcements.

I bet they'll talk about their release of the Jojo's anime on Sunday.

Andrew J.

Samurai Flamenco 17

"Because I'm the Prime Minister of the great United States of Japan!"

"RICHAAAAARD! MASAYOSHIIIIIIIIIIIII!"

All right, all right. I know why you're here. Revengeance lyrics under the spoiler:

The fires of greed will burn the weak

So we'll make freedom obsolete

Making whole the fabric of society

Collective consciousness controlled as you will see

Let your country control your soul, let your country control your soul,let your country control your soul

Let your country

CONTROL

YOUR

SOOOOOOOUUUUUUULLLLL!!!

Jarmel

Banned
Expelled from Paradise was started on before Madoka. Whole thing looks like CGI similar to Sidonia but obviously better since theatrical release.

Coming out in October.

Not sure if any of this is known.

Legend of Korra Season 3 Episodes 1-2

C3XK3ox.gif

Holy shit u gais.

Holy fucking shit. This is good.T-this is real good.

Like where the fuck has this Legend of Korra been since the first half of season 1? I. I have no words. To my brothers who dislike Legend of Korra I have good news in list form:

1. Relationship drama? None to be seen. If anything it's the most relaxed and brotherly these characters have been since... ever. They're back to being team avatar, no more getting into pants. Just good ol' times.

2. Korra being whiny? Fucking gone. Korra is now doing her best Aang mixed early season 1 Korra. She's having fun when people are joking around, and she doesn't take shit from people in a good way. Like. I genuinely like this Korra.

3. Characters. It's only been 2 episodes and everybody is already better than they were last season. And the new characters they've introduced for the season are great so far.

4. New locations. Learning from season 2 and Last Airbender, they are not staying in Republic City and instead going around the world once again. Which is sweet. Because fuck Republic City.

5. Baddies. And this I can't emphasize enough. The bad guys introduced so far. Are fucking radical dude.

I mean look at this motherfucker over here.

Fucking breakdancing motherfucker dude! How sweet is that shit?! (Book 3 semi-spoilers)
]

Look at this shit!
AGzjaIr.gif

OH MY GOD I AM SALIVATING. THAT ANIMATION! AND THAT OTHER BADDIE! OH MY GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHD. U FUCKING GAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS.

I'm sorry. I'm going to watch episode 3. But I am officially back on the Korra hype train. Heck I'm sorry. Nothing you give me this summer will beat this.

You heard it here folks. Legend of Korra season 3 is Anime of the season.

It's not a big deal, it's just a little loose. Definitely not a deal-breaker for me, since Sentai licenses a big portion of what I like.

I bet they'll talk about their release of the Jojo's anime on Sunday.

but then why wouldnt they have done that today when they mentioned warner bros hosting the dub tomorrow.

Jarmel

Banned
Oh speaking of Korra, Trigger wants you to pester any videogame developer you know of, to develop a Kill La Kill game.

*hint*hint*nudge*nudge*

Jarmel

Banned
-When Urobuchi write, he doesn't usually have a message. He just likes writing(lol). Although he said that his characters struggle a lot so I guess that is the theme.
-Everything that he writes, he wants to do something different. Kamen Rider was a huge challenge for him.

People listing waifus. Urobuchi's waifu from a game called Iko(?) and someone named Kyouko. Someone will have to check the name for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom